DumaOS Developer Q&A

Netduma Jack

25 minutes ago, Netduma Iain said:

I've thought of doing this before. We'd need to do research to see if it is feasible. And it wouldn't work on dedicated servers (unless there is P2P voice chat). So unfortunately would not work for PubG, Fortnite, Apex, etc 

Are the chat servers on say xbox live not white listed? so party chat would work.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Zennon said:

Are the chat servers on say xbox live not white listed? so party chat would work.

Should be but if it runs over P2P rather than a server then you may not hear some people if they're outside your radius

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

Should be but if it runs over P2P rather than a server then you may not hear some people if they're outside your radius

But I was talking about a player max ping lobby check, so If they are over a max ms I set then it kicks me back out to search again.

So I would not need to hear them as they would be in a lobby with a ping higher than my selected so I did not want to play in said lobby anyway.

In a cod game if all the players have a ping that is comparable it is a fair and balanced as soon as a few high ms ping players enter the sync goes way off especially in Blops4 it just can not sync well between wide ping ranges.

I never use anything but party chat with my privacy set to friends only.

When I think about this, if a player backs out then a new one enters with a ping higher than my selected players max acceptable ping it would either kick me or have to allow then until the match ended or it would be a wide spread kicking evening of fun lol.

6 hours ago, Netduma Luke said:

Nothing stopping us doing this - so it's good to know you'd be interested in a new router from us.

Netduma Luke Id be in full on if you guys had something new on your end only!! R2 or whatever you would call it! Id be first in line! :) 

Zippy.

Hello netduma team!

Great idea to make a thread for people to suggest things!

My suggestion is the Vlan option in the Wan section,
something that has already been suggested on other occasions and something that was in the original firmware but that was broken and did not work properly. For people who work with fiber or, at least, here in Spain, we have to work with Ont + router + R1, if we had the option Vlan we could skip the router jump and go directly to Ont, thus acquiring a public IP directly in our R1 and omitting the double nat to which we are exposed.

Will it be ready at the next milestone?

Greetings and good work from the entire Netduma team.

• Netduma Staff
15 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

A theme in colour similar to this by Linksys on their 32X router. I am suggesting a similar colour scheme not a redesign. The colours would be easier to see for colour blind users and mayless help others with eye strain.  Or that of Asus routers in colour?

Just to pitch in on this since I'll be working with Josh on themes - we'll absolutely be taking colour blindness and other sight factors into account with many of the themes. We'll do the proper research into this area and make sure folks like yourself are able to give us feedback before we release them :)

15 hours ago, Netduma Luke said:

Nothing stopping us doing this - so it's good to know you'd be interested in a new router from us.

Hi all.
Firstly I happend upon NetDuma whilst hunting for a new router having somehow inadvertantly come across SimJC74s videos of the R1😎👍.
I must be honest in saying I am not interested in Netgear hardware based on previous experience, however I am also wary R1 capabilities are somewhat limited by the hardware (e.g wireless - yes I know many/most of the DumaArmy likely don't game over wifi but considering the investement, the router will still need to be competative in terms of "all round" appeal, no?) so I definitely welcome Lukes comment above re: R2 hardware🙏🙏🙏...

My Q+A questions/suggestion are these:

1. Robust and intuative parental controls including (user defined access profiles to which certain devices can be assigned, the best I've experienced are on the fritz!box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TTLnHxt0Q but also thinking bandwidth limits, DNS (clean browsing), VPNs etc...)
FYI I have an old 7490 fritz!box which I am happy to send you guys to look at if you like. For me its an investment as we have 4 teenage kids and 1 under 10....

2. Nintendo Switch specific support. I have yet to come across a router that actually allows for opnening of ports 1-65535 (effectively DMZ but not quite) hence to game on line effectively the only option is to allow full on DMZ an already touchy subject in its self.  Even then most routers only allow DMZ of 1 client at a time... IMHO a good router(and OS) with Nintendo Switch preferably over wifi in mind, could prove a good move for sales.

Apologies if any of the above deemed inappropriate for this Q+A by the Admin, just my tupence as an outsider for now. Thanks

P.S. @LUKE. Please kindly check your forum inbox and respond. We spoke almost 6 weeks ago and I PM'd you start of April.
@ JACK Thanks for sorting out my forum registration. I am not getting an email notifications though despite registering interest??

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Flipmode said:

Hi all.
Firstly I happend upon NetDuma whilst hunting for a new router having somehow inadvertantly come across SimJC74s videos of the R1😎👍.
I must be honest in saying I am not interested in Netgear hardware based on previous experience, however I am also wary R1 capabilities are somewhat limited by the hardware (e.g wireless - yes I know many/most of the DumaArmy likely don't game over wifi but considering the investement, the router will still need to be competative in terms of "all round" appeal, no?) so I definitely welcome Lukes comment above re: R2 hardware🙏🙏🙏...

1. Robust and intuative parental controls including (user defined access profiles to which certain devices can be assigned, the best I've experienced are on the fritz!box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TTLnHxt0Q but also thinking bandwidth limits, DNS (clean browsing), VPNs etc...)
FYI I have an old 7490 fritz!box which I am happy to send you guys to look at if you like. For me its an investment as we have 4 teenage kids and 1 under 10....

2. Nintendo Switch specific support. I have yet to come across a router that actually allows for opnening of ports 1-65535 (effectively DMZ but not quite) hence to game on line effectively the only option is to allow full on DMZ an already touchy subject in its self.  Even then most routers only allow DMZ of 1 client at a time... IMHO a good router(and OS) with Nintendo Switch preferably over wifi in mind, could prove a good move for sales.

Apologies if any of the above deemed inappropriate for this Q+A by the Admin, just my tupence as an outsider for now. Thanks

P.S. @LUKE. Please kindly check your forum inbox and respond. We spoke almost 6 weeks ago and I PM'd you start of April.
@ JACK Thanks for sorting out my forum registration. I am not getting an email notifications though despite registering interest??

Apologies - replying to your message now!

One of the devs will get back to you on your questions when they're next in this thread.

• Netduma Staff
18 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

A theme in colour similar to this by Linksys on their 32X router. I am suggesting a similar colour scheme not a redesign. The colours would be easier to see for colour blind users and mayless help others with eye strain.  Or that of Asus routers in colour?

One of the completed themes offers a similar experience, but we'll definitely provide a wider range of options.

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Just to pitch in on this since I'll be working with Josh on themes - we'll absolutely be taking colour blindness and other sight factors into account with many of the themes. We'll do the proper research into this area and make sure folks like yourself are able to give us feedback before we release them :)

As said by Jack, we'll pursue this.

• Netduma Staff
13 hours ago, sabarblade said:

Could DumaOS have some sort of Ping Plotter built in? If so that would be great! Also could we have some sort of game server status to check if servers are online or offline? 

We could add a ping plotter/ping route R-App, it could be useful to see what parts of your packet's trip are causing lag. We could look into adding a third 'spectate' type to allow/deny enable watching server without impacting the rest of the geofilter, or adding another panel which hosts a list of servers that it pings. Thanks for the suggestion.

7 hours ago, titofuenla said:

Hello netduma team!

Great idea to make a thread for people to suggest things!

My suggestion is the Vlan option in the Wan section,
something that has already been suggested on other occasions and something that was in the original firmware but that was broken and did not work properly. For people who work with fiber or, at least, here in Spain, we have to work with Ont + router + R1, if we had the option Vlan we could skip the router jump and go directly to Ont, thus acquiring a public IP directly in our R1 and omitting the double nat to which we are exposed.

Will it be ready at the next milestone?

Greetings and good work from the entire Netduma team.

VLan is definitely a useful feature, we plan on adding it in a later version.

4 hours ago, Flipmode said:

Hi all.

We are definitely interested in expanding the appeal that our routers have. Parental controls would be a nice addition to DumaOS, it could have features like periods of time devices can access the internet.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not supporting a Nintendo Switch, you can configure your Nintendo Switch devices in the device manager and the R1 allows full port forwarding from 1 - 65535 on both protocols. We don't currently have DMZ in our R1 firmware but we do plan to add it in a later version.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

how about this?..... YES PLEASE!!!!!!! 

The problem is it takes time to port to hardware and by adding a modem you reduce the market size and will have to support multiple WAN technologies. The extra step I understand is a mild irritant for the customer but the amount of development effort is not worth it at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion though! 

Last week I upgraded to DumaOS for my R1. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into lobbies (Bo4) and it took forever to find players. I even tried to use COD profile but nothing helped. I then downgraded to original firmware. Atleast i can now find lobbies without problem. 

Is DumaOS a fail for R1?

It would be soo amazing to get it to working. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Casey said:

We could add a ping plotter/ping route R-App, it could be useful to see what parts of your packet's trip are causing lag. We could look into adding a third 'spectate' type to allow/deny enable watching server without impacting the rest of the geofilter, or adding another panel which hosts a list of servers that it pings. Thanks for the suggestion.

VLan is definitely a useful feature, we plan on adding it in a later version.

We are definitely interested in expanding the appeal that our routers have. Parental controls would be a nice addition to DumaOS, it could have features like periods of time devices can access the internet.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not supporting a Nintendo Switch, you can configure your Nintendo Switch devices in the device manager and the R1 allows full port forwarding from 1 - 65535 on both protocols. We don't currently have DMZ in our R1 firmware but we do plan to add it in a later version.

I must say the items raised in this thread and the direction of DumaOS sound very promising!

re: port forwarding on the Nintendo Switch. On my current router, the difference between the start port and the end port may not be greater than 255 hence to create that 1-65535 port forwarding share, I would have to create multiple port forwarding entries in increments of 255 i.e. 1-255, 256-510 etc up to 65535. According to the internet, many Switch users  appear to have this same issue where their routers port entry range is restricted hence DMZ becomes the only option, however there are risks to running DMZ on a router that is DHCP enabled...   unfortunately Nintendo's stance is that the issue lies with the router, rather than their online framework/protocol in this regard...

As a small streamer. I would like to have some of the r-app's pop out instead of me going back and fourth been browser tabs eg like the ping graph in the original software. And I've mentioned before but it's not possible as of yet. That I would like to then copy that popout url and put it into OBS so my stream can see my ping to the server in my overlay. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Sameer said:

Last week I upgraded to DumaOS for my R1. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into lobbies (Bo4) and it took forever to find players. I even tried to use COD profile but nothing helped. I then downgraded to original firmware. Atleast i can now find lobbies without problem. 

Is DumaOS a fail for R1?

It would be soo amazing to get it to working. 

Please ask tech support to help in another thread and they'll happily help you. And DumaOS is far superior then original R1 firmware, it has a much greater architecture and richer featureset. And is designed to be extended via our R-Apps system so you'll see many more features in the future only on DumaOS :)

Have a great weekend!

Hi All

Just thought you guys would like to know what I'm working on. I am currently working on the automated test scripts for DumaOS. This should significantly improve the development process with regards to how fast we can test the OS and identify bugs to be fixed. I also work on the cloud Geo-filter database to provide the most accurate geolocation on the router. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

9 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

As a small streamer. I would like to have some of the r-app's pop out instead of me going back and fourth been browser tabs eg like the ping graph in the original software. And I've mentioned before but it's not possible as of yet. That I would like to then copy that popout url and put it into OBS so my stream can see my ping to the server in my overlay. 

Yeah this is a great idea that I have actually been working on. We hope to provide something like this in the future.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, Netduma Iain said:

Can you elaborate please? Do you mean just standard cheaters in games like Pubg? I haven't done too much research into this area but I'd think it is unlikely as most games use what's called an "Authoritative server" paradigm. This means that the server decides which actions occurs (especially in paradoxical situations) rather than the client. Since the router is a middleware device it can't perform the servers job for authorising legitimate actions. 

I mean more about the delay switch, when you meet the player, you shoot, he turns on the switch, your arrows fly into space, he lets go of the switch and in a second you get  full magazine, and you're lying down, soory translator google,There are different types of delays, from type applications,np:UDP UNICORN,lag switch software ,or besp. boxes with a special switch

• Netduma Staff
On 4/27/2019 at 5:47 PM, raf1212 said:

I mean more about the delay switch, when you meet the player, you shoot, he turns on the switch, your arrows fly into space, he lets go of the switch and in a second you get  full magazine, and you're lying down, soory translator google,There are different types of delays, from type applications,np:UDP UNICORN,lag switch software ,or besp. boxes with a special switch

That sounds like a lag switch, which as far I know, only work for the host of the game. There's not much we can do to prevent it once it's happening, but you could use our allow and deny feature to block a host who is using one.