DumaOS Developer Q&A

Netduma Jack

On 5/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, Netduma Iain said:

See my prior response to Zennon about player-filtering. In regard to kicking a player out, in a server based game you can't do that you can only kick yourself out by blocking the connection. Hope that helps.

But I have been talking about P2P. 

On 5/3/2019 at 1:11 PM, Netduma Iain said:

Right so temporary ban being the key. Gotcha thanks for the feedback.

Wouldn't that mean you are banning yourself from the Server based game?.. 

I think having a visual representation of a trace route overlay the geofilter for the current host would be cool and helpful. Just run maybe 1 trace route when you initially connect to the server/peer/host and have it show you as much as it can (because we all know some hops are private *** hops). 

When are you guys going to update OS? The year is already half over and lord knows when we received the last update with ping assist. I keep hearing we have exciting things coming but nothing to show for it. Eventually I'm going to have to break down and buy a XR500. But I really don't want to buy one if you guys are going to update the shit one every year. Netgear will take another year to sit around the table and talk about nothing and then they'll update it. My point is this current game that I play and the only fkn game I play or care about is cod. Anything yall can do to make this game play better would be phenomenal. Also just fixing the shit that is broken on OS would be phenomenal. I don't mean to be negative towards you guys. But geez you guys used to push out updates all of time on the old software and it usually performed well with the other cods. Any insight or non corporate bs would be great. 

Thanks a loyal customer since day one

• Administrators
7 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

When are you guys going to update OS? The year is already half over and lord knows when we received the last update with ping assist. I keep hearing we have exciting things coming but nothing to show for it. Eventually I'm going to have to break down and buy a XR500. But I really don't want to buy one if you guys are going to update the shit one every year. Netgear will take another year to sit around the table and talk about nothing and then they'll update it. My point is this current game that I play and the only fkn game I play or care about is cod. Anything yall can do to make this game play better would be phenomenal. Also just fixing the shit that is broken on OS would be phenomenal. I don't mean to be negative towards you guys. But geez you guys used to push out updates all of time on the old software and it usually performed well with the other cods. Any insight or non corporate bs would be great. 

Thanks a loyal customer since day one

I'm sure the devs will comment further but keep in mind that DumaOS on the R1 is still in beta so we're working very hard to bring out great updates that include fixes and new features. We're not giving out any dates on when we would release a firmware.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm sure the devs will comment further but keep in mind that DumaOS on the R1 is still in beta so we're working very hard to bring out great updates that include fixes and new features. We're not giving out any dates on when we would release a firmware.

I don't want to sound like a whining impatient ass like the rest of the population Fraser and I know you guys hit roadblaocks in testing (my wife is in coding btw which is a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me so I get it that it takes time to perfect things. She is always fixing and rewriting software). Just maybe send out something. We are in beta. Which means we are testing as well, I guess the fact the way this game plays just aggrevates the hell out me. I know a lot is server related..When the R1 first came out it legitimately changed how the game played. It ran smoothly connection wise and made me feel like I was on a level playing field. The way it plays now it doesn't anymore. So I feel like duma has falling behind the times in a sense. So in a sense I'm pushing for yall to push something out soon please! crisp connection is paramount!

Once again a loyal customer since day one!

• Administrators

I get that, I'm not a dev either but I know the process and it is rather laborious, I'm sure they will comment themselves on this matter more than I can. 

If you think your issues are related to the router then make a new topic with your concerns and we can take a look. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2019 at 7:11 AM, Netduma Iain said:

The details of QoS is different on different platforms (we use fq-codel, codel and our own algo for bufferbloat). Kudos to David Taht for codel implementation btw. But remember that is only a 1/3 of our current QoS solution ;) Watch this space....

Interesting! Can we get the Cake Queue Discipline with the DumaOS?

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
6 minutes ago, dionysus said:

What is or should the geo-filter be set to after a reboot? What is it coded to do!

It should stay on what you had it set as before the reboot, assuming the setting wasn't just changed before the reboot as may not have had time to apply in that setting.

• 1 month later...

When we will have the ping embler back. I used it faithfully in my gameplays and live streams so ppl can see my ping. also the tracer feature  and profile saving?. also can we get different qos setup scripts like piece_of_cake,simplest tbf,simplest.qos,layer_cake, etc?.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, velloonythedeity said:

When we will have the ping embler back. I used it faithfully in my gameplays and live streams so ppl can see my ping. also the tracer feature  and profile saving?. also can we get different qos setup scripts like piece_of_cake,simplest tbf,simplest.qos,layer_cake, etc?.

These features may not be available for awhile although profile saving would probably be the first to be seen. For ping I would suggest you pin auto ping to the dashboard and open the dashboard in a new window and with the help of this old guide you should be able to have it overlay on your stream using OBS https://web.archive.org/web/20170710051950/http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=embed_ping_to_videos_and_streams

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:13 PM, Netduma Luke said:

Nothing stopping us doing this - so it's good to know you'd be interested in a new router from us.

Yes please make this happen! R1 is definitely old and would rather spend money on an R2 over the netgear products. 

Will the current R1 be able to handle the update?  I recall some concerns during 1.3 release there were discussions on how the R1 could struggle due to hardware capacity. There are times when the CUP usage hits 80% - 90% on the R1 should we be worried? Could we look into an R2 please?! I’m sure a lot of people would be interested in that. 

• Administrators
On 5/10/2020 at 3:08 AM, Sal said:

Will the current R1 be able to handle the update?  I recall some concerns during 1.3 release there were discussions on how the R1 could struggle due to hardware capacity. There are times when the CUP usage hits 80% - 90% on the R1 should we be worried? Could we look into an R2 please?! I’m sure a lot of people would be interested in that. 

I can confirm we are building 3.0 for the Netduma R1. A lot of effort is going into ensuring it does not consume too much CPU and memory. Thanks for your support

• 3 months later...

I am curious how the hero filtering works when I am connected with a friend in a party and both have XR500 and are playing Call of Duty. It seems like every time we play together or is harder to find games. At have the same Geo filtering settings but I a in Los Angeles and he is in Scottsdale, AZ. It is interesting to know how the whole thing works behind the scene so I could improve the playing. 

• Administrators
15 hours ago, RichardRO said:

I am curious how the hero filtering works when I am connected with a friend in a party and both have XR500 and are playing Call of Duty. It seems like every time we play together or is harder to find games. At have the same Geo filtering settings but I a in Los Angeles and he is in Scottsdale, AZ. It is interesting to know how the whole thing works behind the scene so I could improve the playing. 

Just to clarify, do you both have your Geo-Filter enabled over different areas or the same area?

Because he is in Arizona and the closest server is in Southern California he is extending to the same area as mine but lately I discovered that using ping assist and seeing my location in the ocean works better but really I am open to get suggestions on how to setup for the best possible game and also increase the speed of finding a game but not compromising on lag.

We have both also ordered the XR1000 so maybe you could help us with setting those up. Thank you. 

• Administrators

Have you added each other to your allow list? As it is 2 people restricting the search then game times will be a bit longer. Ping Assist method you're using is very good. If you use the XR500 beta you can use Ping Heatmap to find where the lowest ping server is and then force that. To speed up the game search you would need to expand the radius so you're not restricting as heavily. There won't be much difference with the XR1000 as it uses the same firmware so the same settings will apply. 

Yes, we have each other in the allow list. So you think we should both be set as location in the ocean and use ping assist to 30ms and disable STRICT MODE?? 

And with the XR1000 we could just find the good servers for both of us and draw a poligon around them and still use ping assist to 30ms?? With STRICT MODE ON or OFF?

I don’t use the netgear but I’m sure they have DMZ availability. I found that assigning the PS4’s IP as DMZ resolved all party chat/connectivity related issues on the netduma R2 might be worth looking into it assuming geo filter and other settings don’t help. 

We both have static ips for the ps4s and dmz enabled for those ips. 

Thank you fie the suggestion to have Geo filtering on only the party leader but the question would be is the other party going to suffer potentially from lag since the filtering is made only for my ip and location? In our case we are not far apart but what if we were on the west and east cost respectively? I am trying to understand the logic behind the filtering so I could better use it. If we were so far apart basically one of us would have a guaranteed chance of getting lag, right?

It wouldn’t matter as only the hosts filtering would be in effect anyway. If you’re not the host your settings will most likely be overridden or you’ll be disconnected from host if there is a clash. In terms of lag you could play around with your QOS settings to maximise your latency efficiency. I’m no expert though.  
If what I said is incorrect please feel free to correct guys.

Wooow, now I finally understand why we kept getting disconnected from each other and sometimes he could not join me or I could not join him. 

Anybody else from the experts that would want to advise please do. Thank you very much in advance.