DumaOS Developer Q&A

Netduma Jack

I’d recommend either you or your friend have a little test. One of you set up your geo filter settings as per usual, the other person (who is not hosting) puts their geo filter settings to “spectate” mode. That essentially keeps your filters are they are but has no effect in game. Then when you’re done playing with your friend you can put it back to filter mode. 

Hopefully it resolves your issues. Good luck.

In other words I am trying to find out in a party of 2 or more from different geographical areas if only the host has the Geo Filter ON, the router checks the ping levels to match with the PA setting only for the host or for all the party members? Because if it checks only for the host it might be 30ms but some of the party members could have long 120ms with the same server and if the router says: I checked this server and it is under 30ms as required by the host than other party members would have a terrible experience. I need someone involved in the development of the Geo Filtering to explain please how are the decisions taken when you have a party of people from different geographical areas. It is a highly technical question so I think only someone involved in the design could answer possibly.....

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, RichardRO said:

We both have static ips for the ps4s and dmz enabled for those ips. 

Thank you fie the suggestion to have Geo filtering on only the party leader but the question would be is the other party going to suffer potentially from lag since the filtering is made only for my ip and location? In our case we are not far apart but what if we were on the west and east cost respectively? I am trying to understand the logic behind the filtering so I could better use it. If we were so far apart basically one of us would have a guaranteed chance of getting lag, right?

18 minutes ago, RichardRO said:

In other words I am trying to find out in a party of 2 or more from different geographical areas if only the host has the Geo Filter ON, the router checks the ping levels to match with the PA setting only for the host or for all the party members? Because if it checks only for the host it might be 30ms but some of the party members could have long 120ms with the same server and if the router says: I checked this server and it is under 30ms as required by the host than other party members would have a terrible experience. I need someone involved in the development of the Geo Filtering to explain please how are the decisions taken when you have a party of people from different geographical areas. It is a highly technical question so I think only someone involved in the design could answer possibly.....

Then I would suggest putting the Geo-Filter location/radius in a place that is in between you both so you both get a decent ping. The router just works based on your settings not any one elses so that's why its a good idea to place it in between you both so neither of you suffer and would force you both on that server.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think the development team of DumaOS did not think about people playing in a party and all the players in that party having DumaOS. I think this should be brought up and maybe there should be a third option in the Geo Filtering menu: ON, SPECTATING and "PARTY MODE" or similar. This mode should be activated by the party's host and this should choose the server based on every member of the party's ping. Where could I bring awareness of this issue? Or maybe it was discussed before. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you. 

• Administrators
19 hours ago, RichardRO said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I think the development team of DumaOS did not think about people playing in a party and all the players in that party having DumaOS. I think this should be brought up and maybe there should be a third option in the Geo Filtering menu: ON, SPECTATING and "PARTY MODE" or similar. This mode should be activated by the party's host and this should choose the server based on every member of the party's ping. Where could I bring awareness of this issue? Or maybe it was discussed before. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you. 

That would be quite hard to do, to try and differentiate what players are in your party - they won't always be connected directly to you but sometimes via a server. Also we can't determine what the quality of their connection is to attempt to get a server that will be the best for you all. Just putting your location in between you all is the easiest option I think.

• 7 months later...
17 hours ago, Obada said:

Can you make geofilter works with destiny 2 like before the new update :(

We're working on it! Unfortunately as these are changes server-side it's hard for us to work around, we're currently testing but I don't yet have an ETA for a fix.

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2020 at 6:07 PM, RichardRO said:

I think you used to just be able to host a private lobby or something similar to that, and then have friends join you, at which point you could just add them to the filters white list so to speak, this would make it so they didn't get booted from parties with a host using the geofiltering. Only issue with that is, A: it might not work well. B: if one of them becomes host of a game and happens to not in fact be close to you, then....you're going to suffer from a poor host.

• 7 months later...

Hello, my experience with netduma r2 after trying DomaOS does not improve compared to other routers in these conditions that I explain: it does not work in Spain because
the main dedicated servers such as:
battlefield 2042
rogue company
fortnite
warzone 2.0 (except island and multiplayer)
apex legends
And more, they are games that have their main servers in other countries, the closest ones are in France and a geo filter if you restrict it only to Spain, I would not look for games because you need a connection to the main server hosted in other countries, which is in charge of managing the data of the game "who should die and live" and another question that this problem raises that is only the fault of the game companies, netduma only works optimally in those countries where there are dedicated servers to force them to have the best connection and hot , but in Spain there are only some games that use dumaos as an example: multiplayer call of duty, that if there is a server, also the netduma team has white lists of servers that cannot be blocked because if you do, you will not be able to connect to Call of Duty, for example. In short, the DumaOS system is well oriented and works, but only if the game developer companies in the country where you live have dedicated servers and you compare it, for example, with a GPN that would work better in the case of Spain since they do. . not having dedicated servers. games mentioned above this GPN would have better results than DumaOS between 10 and 30% better ping and jitter and it is given that Spain depends on servers hosted in other countries. my asus ax86u I have the same connection as in netduma r2 because the server in this case for example of battlefield 2042 is hosted in france and geo filter here would not work in this condition unless it acted together with GPN what if I improve the route since The game server is in France and the advantage would be for the players closest to the server.  @Netduma Fraser  @Netduma Crossy

• Administrators
10 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Hello, my experience with netduma r2 after trying DomaOS does not improve compared to other routers in these conditions that I explain: it does not work in Spain because
the main dedicated servers such as:
battlefield 2042
rogue company
fortnite
warzone 2.0 (except island and multiplayer)
apex legends
And more, they are games that have their main servers in other countries, the closest ones are in France and a geo filter if you restrict it only to Spain, I would not look for games because you need a connection to the main server hosted in other countries, which is in charge of managing the data of the game "who should die and live" and another question that this problem raises that is only the fault of the game companies, netduma only works optimally in those countries where there are dedicated servers to force them to have the best connection and hot , but in Spain there are only some games that use dumaos as an example: multiplayer call of duty, that if there is a server, also the netduma team has white lists of servers that cannot be blocked because if you do, you will not be able to connect to Call of Duty, for example. In short, the DumaOS system is well oriented and works, but only if the game developer companies in the country where you live have dedicated servers and you compare it, for example, with a GPN that would work better in the case of Spain since they do. . not having dedicated servers. games mentioned above this GPN would have better results than DumaOS between 10 and 30% better ping and jitter and it is given that Spain depends on servers hosted in other countries. my asus ax86u I have the same connection as in netduma r2 because the server in this case for example of battlefield 2042 is hosted in france and geo filter here would not work in this condition unless it acted together with GPN what if I improve the route since The game server is in France and the advantage would be for the players closest to the server.  @Netduma Fraser

I appreciate that you won't get as low a ping as you would hope to if the game doesn't have a server in your country but the Geo-Filter is still useful as it allows you to choose the servers you want to play on and ensure that the game never puts you overseas for example so it will keep you having a consistent connection. A network like that has been suggested before and it may be included in future but I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I appreciate that you won't get as low a ping as you would hope to if the game doesn't have a server in your country but the Geo-Filter is still useful as it allows you to choose the servers you want to play on and ensure that the game never puts you overseas for example so it will keep you having a consistent connection. A network like that has been suggested before and it may be included in future but I don't think it's coming anytime soon.

The problem is that in Spain I can't block foreign servers because if I do I couldn't play, for example Battlefield 2042 has the closest server in France, since there is no server in Spain so that netduma idea doesn't work here but it's not It's your fault, it's the developers who didn't put servers here.  I do not want to say with this that DumaOs is not good, the idea is good but for other regions and if in the future it implemented a GPN network then things would be different and better

• Administrators
1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

The problem is that in Spain I can't block foreign servers because if I do I couldn't play, for example Battlefield 2042 has the closest server in France, since there is no server in Spain so that netduma idea doesn't work here but it's not It's your fault, it's the developers who didn't put servers here.  I do not want to say with this that DumaOs is not good, the idea is good but for other regions and if in the future it implemented a GPN network then things would be different and better

You could try the German server, regardless it does give you the freedom of choice you wouldn't otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You could try the German server, regardless it does give you the freedom of choice you wouldn't otherwise. 

There are two problems, one that I mention is that the servers are outside of Spain and the other is that players from France or Germany playing in the same lobby as me would have the advantage of a lower ping as they are closer to the server. and the only solution I found is to play with GPN that if I go much lower in ping to use a shorter route than my ISP, for example with both netduma r2 and asus ax86u I have a stable connection without loss but I have the inconvenience of being away from the game server and that is where the GPN comes into action, which DumaOS cannot offer since not having those game servers in Spain, it would not have improvements.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

There are two problems, one that I mention is that the servers are outside of Spain and the other is that players from France or Germany playing in the same lobby as me would have the advantage of a lower ping as they are closer to the server. and the only solution I found is to play with GPN that if I go much lower in ping to use a shorter route than my ISP, for example with both netduma r2 and asus ax86u I have a stable connection without loss but I have the inconvenience of being away from the game server and that is where the GPN comes into action, which DumaOS cannot offer since not having those game servers in Spain, it would not have improvements.

I totally get your point, I'm just saying without the router you'd likely be worse off, the game could put you in the US for example and you would have no control. QoS is still helpful regardless of the server location as well.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I totally get your point, I'm just saying without the router you'd likely be worse off, the game could put you in the US for example and you would have no control. QoS is still helpful regardless of the server location as well.

If I understand you, I am not saying that dumaos is not good without netduma with other routers that I have never connected outside of Europe, the latency and stability is the same with dumaos and asus ax86u, from what I told you before.  and also QoS of netduma r2 does not handle a symmetric 1gb well.  the QoS was designed for lower speed values.  Asus gives me a maximum speed of 1 gb in symmetrical QoS and when there is congestion it does not saturate and it also gives me A+ tests

The day I put a GPN it would change everything, since I cannot benefit from DumaOS for the reason that the servers are outside of Spain and in technical terms it gives me the same stability as Asus because I cannot use the geo filter, which is the Achilles heel from netduma but only for those who can take advantage of having servers in their country

• Administrators
1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

The day I put a GPN it would change everything, since I cannot benefit from DumaOS for the reason that the servers are outside of Spain and in technical terms it gives me the same stability as Asus because I cannot use the geo filter, which is the Achilles heel from netduma but only for those who can take advantage of having servers in their country

Thank you for the feedback, we will keep that in mind going forward