DumaOS Developer Q&A

Netduma Jack

I’d recommend either you or your friend have a little test. One of you set up your geo filter settings as per usual, the other person (who is not hosting) puts their geo filter settings to “spectate” mode. That essentially keeps your filters are they are but has no effect in game. Then when you’re done playing with your friend you can put it back to filter mode. 

Hopefully it resolves your issues. Good luck.

In other words I am trying to find out in a party of 2 or more from different geographical areas if only the host has the Geo Filter ON, the router checks the ping levels to match with the PA setting only for the host or for all the party members? Because if it checks only for the host it might be 30ms but some of the party members could have long 120ms with the same server and if the router says: I checked this server and it is under 30ms as required by the host than other party members would have a terrible experience. I need someone involved in the development of the Geo Filtering to explain please how are the decisions taken when you have a party of people from different geographical areas. It is a highly technical question so I think only someone involved in the design could answer possibly.....

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, RichardRO said:

We both have static ips for the ps4s and dmz enabled for those ips. 

Thank you fie the suggestion to have Geo filtering on only the party leader but the question would be is the other party going to suffer potentially from lag since the filtering is made only for my ip and location? In our case we are not far apart but what if we were on the west and east cost respectively? I am trying to understand the logic behind the filtering so I could better use it. If we were so far apart basically one of us would have a guaranteed chance of getting lag, right?

18 minutes ago, RichardRO said:

In other words I am trying to find out in a party of 2 or more from different geographical areas if only the host has the Geo Filter ON, the router checks the ping levels to match with the PA setting only for the host or for all the party members? Because if it checks only for the host it might be 30ms but some of the party members could have long 120ms with the same server and if the router says: I checked this server and it is under 30ms as required by the host than other party members would have a terrible experience. I need someone involved in the development of the Geo Filtering to explain please how are the decisions taken when you have a party of people from different geographical areas. It is a highly technical question so I think only someone involved in the design could answer possibly.....

Then I would suggest putting the Geo-Filter location/radius in a place that is in between you both so you both get a decent ping. The router just works based on your settings not any one elses so that's why its a good idea to place it in between you both so neither of you suffer and would force you both on that server.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think the development team of DumaOS did not think about people playing in a party and all the players in that party having DumaOS. I think this should be brought up and maybe there should be a third option in the Geo Filtering menu: ON, SPECTATING and "PARTY MODE" or similar. This mode should be activated by the party's host and this should choose the server based on every member of the party's ping. Where could I bring awareness of this issue? Or maybe it was discussed before. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you. 

• Administrators
19 hours ago, RichardRO said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I think the development team of DumaOS did not think about people playing in a party and all the players in that party having DumaOS. I think this should be brought up and maybe there should be a third option in the Geo Filtering menu: ON, SPECTATING and "PARTY MODE" or similar. This mode should be activated by the party's host and this should choose the server based on every member of the party's ping. Where could I bring awareness of this issue? Or maybe it was discussed before. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you. 

That would be quite hard to do, to try and differentiate what players are in your party - they won't always be connected directly to you but sometimes via a server. Also we can't determine what the quality of their connection is to attempt to get a server that will be the best for you all. Just putting your location in between you all is the easiest option I think.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators
17 hours ago, Obada said:

Can you make geofilter works with destiny 2 like before the new update :(

We're working on it! Unfortunately as these are changes server-side it's hard for us to work around, we're currently testing but I don't yet have an ETA for a fix.