ANNOUNCEMENT: Introducing the Netduma R3

Netduma Lew

18 hours ago, IrishNomad said:

This is one device I seriously considered because of it's price/performance ratio. I think a direct comparison of the ping and gaming performance between that and the R3 would be very interesting.

I don't know if there is something more powerful than this one for open wrt, but this one works well. If you know of any, let me know

I want to compare them against the r3

@Netduma Fraser

ive pre ordered the R3 but I also have a few questions regarding bugs

i currently own the xr500 and down below I will list the current problems that I have/currently experienced in the past

1- When running a speed test on the duma UI , it will only run at full capacity so for example my internet speed at full capacity is 500 down and 71mb up meaning it gives me false readings for bufferbloat even when Ive manually moved the sliders to 95% of full capacity for download and 65% upload. Has this issue been fixed for the R3?

2- Sometimes geo filter won’t recognise or connect to a certain specific servers when I’ve box ringed that specific server. Has this been fixed?

3- VPN currently on the XR500 I see no option for wireguard, is this available on the R3?

4- Some rap reports fail to display and come up with errors especially on the QOS side. Has this been fixed on the R3?

Thanks in advance 

Not sure if this was already fixed on the R2 but I currently have the R1 and my family cannot enable WiFi Calling because it does not work on the R1. This is both Android and Apple phones. I've tested it with another third party router and it works.

I pre-ordered the R3 but I still wanted to know if WiFi Calling works on the R3.

Thank you and keep up the good work. The R3 looks killer.

5 hours ago, Nuyorrican said:

Not sure if this was already fixed on the R2 but I currently have the R1 and my family cannot enable WiFi Calling because it does not work on the R1. This is both Android and Apple phones. I've tested it with another third party router and it works.

I pre-ordered the R3 but I still wanted to know if WiFi Calling works on the R3.

I remember having this problem when I had the Netduma R1 as well.
Thankfully, this wasn't an issue with the Netduma R2. So it should be the same for the Netduma R3.

• Administrators
On 12/6/2023 at 12:14 PM, SamT98 said:

@Netduma Fraser

ive pre ordered the R3 but I also have a few questions regarding bugs

i currently own the xr500 and down below I will list the current problems that I have/currently experienced in the past

1- When running a speed test on the duma UI , it will only run at full capacity so for example my internet speed at full capacity is 500 down and 71mb up meaning it gives me false readings for bufferbloat even when Ive manually moved the sliders to 95% of full capacity for download and 65% upload. Has this issue been fixed for the R3?

2- Sometimes geo filter won’t recognise or connect to a certain specific servers when I’ve box ringed that specific server. Has this been fixed?

3- VPN currently on the XR500 I see no option for wireguard, is this available on the R3?

4- Some rap reports fail to display and come up with errors especially on the QOS side. Has this been fixed on the R3?

Thanks in advance 

1. The bufferbloat score on Benchmark is independent to the speed portion of the test, however, on the R3 Connection Benchmark isn't actually available. Reason being is we've improved QoS and Ping Optimiser a lot and it uses Smart QoS which will intelligently allocate bandwidth based on your priorities. Also Anti-Jitter is coming!
  2. That's not a Geo-Filter issue, if you have trouble forcing servers sometimes (some are notorious for it), it's either because they're offline or at capacity and trying at a different time of day could allow you to connect.
  3. Yes it is
  4. Could you clarify this one please?
19 hours ago, Nuyorrican said:

I use WiFi calling at home on the R3 and haven't had any problems!

On 11/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, Netduma Lew said:

Today we announced the Netduma R3, powered by DumaOS 4. Welcome to the R3VOLUTION.

The Netduma R3 has a mission of delivering solid hardware for 2023 while also launching with DumaOS technology that you’ve never seen before. It arrives with a lot of firsts for a Netduma router, including WiFi 6 and RGB capabilities.

DumaOS 4 is a major standout that completely revolutionises how you get the most from your home network. Everything from classic features to the UI has been completely revamped, with several newcomer features that will change your game and THE game.

Here’s a breakdown of some highlights from DumaOS 4:

• Geofilter 2.0, a whole new Geofilter solution that works more effectively for virtually any online game.
  • SmartBOOST is the brand new evolution of QoS,automatically adjusting to give everything the optimal amount of bandwidth at any given moment.
  • Steady Ping heralds the arrival of our long-awaited Anti-Jitter technology (that’s right, it’s finally here). By sacrificing a tiny ping buffer, you ‘lock-in’ a ping that doesn’t fluctuate. Now, every game feels as smooth as the last.
  • And more, all in a completely overhauled UI!

This thread acts as both the announcement and discussion thread for the Netduma R3 - ask questions and get as excited as we are!

To answer some of the questions we expect to hear for the R3 and DumaOS 4, we’ve put together some ‘Pre-FAQs’:

Will DumaOS 4 be coming to the Netduma R2 or NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers (XR500/XR700/XR1000/XR450/XR300)?

We fully intend to get DumaOS 4 on the Netduma R2 - we’re expecting this to be a straightforward task so the wait won’t be long. If you own an R2 and would like to be notified when DumaOS 4 is available to you, please enter your email here.

However, for Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers, we have some more unfortunate news: as things stand, DumaOS 4 will not be coming to these units. As you can probably tell, it has been a challenge getting these models onto DumaOS 3.3, for reasons outside of our control. We have been able to get the XR500, XR450 and XR700 onto 3.3 via  open beta firmwares. And this week we received an XR1000 firmware from NETGEAR (running DumaOS 3.3) which is going through our internal testing now. 

So as things stand right now, the only way to get your hands on DumaOS 4 currently is to purchase a Netduma R3.

How much will the Netduma R3 cost?

We always try to provide good value for the hardware we’re responsible for, and because of that the Netduma R3 is landing with a launch discount, pricing it at $199.99 (exc. VAT) / £179.99 / €199.99. This price point won’t last forever, but we want people who support us early on the benefit from doing so.

What are the Netduma R3 hardware specs?

We worked hard to decide the final spec of the Netduma R3. It has WiFi 6 with really good WiFi coverage across your home (we tested this extensively and it’s a LOT better than the R2), a quad-core CPU and all the RAM and Flash memory we’ll ever need. Our overall aim was to use hardware that was really solid without charging you guys and arm and leg to buy it  

The full list of the Netduma R3 hardware spec can be found on our site, at the bottom of product page. Check it out!

CPU/WiFi Chip used: Broadcom BCM6756

Where can I learn more about DumaOS 4?

You can check our website for more about each of the newcomers to DumaOS 4, and stay tuned for our upcoming video series covering each feature in a little more detail.

Will DumaOS 4 arrive on Telstra Optimiser and EE WiFi Enhancer?

Yes, both platforms will be updated with the latest DumaOS features down the road.

Is the R3’s WiFi better than the R2?

We paid special attention to ensuring that the R3’s WiFi performs well, to cover all areas as a solid router for any home. The WiFi specifically in the R3 is Dual-Band Gigabit AX3000, providing a far better WiFi experience than the R2 in terms of range and throughput.

I have pre-ordered. When will my R3 be sent?

We expect routers to arrive in December, and we’ll begin shipping pre-orders as soon as stock arrives on a first-ordered-first-sent basis. 

What this means is that while we can’t give a specific shipping date to cover every order, we expect that every R3 preorder will be fulfilled before Christmas.

Can I buy a Netduma R2 instead of a Netduma R3?

The Netduma R2 is now officially out of stock, and we have no plans for renewing the stock.

Has the Netduma R3 been beta tested?

Yes! A selection of beta testers from the forum have extensively tested the R3 and worked with us to make sure it’s great. A huge special thanks to them for helping us (and keeping things quiet until now!)

Does the RGB look cool?

Yes, it looks very cool. But if you are no fun at parties, they can also be turned off 😛 

I have ordered netduma r3 and I still didn't get it can you help 

Can you please help me with the shipping where has it reached or when is it coming 

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, basim said:

I have ordered netduma r3 and I still didn't get it can you help 

Can you please help me with the shipping where has it reached or when is it coming 

It's a pre-order so hasn't shipped yet, you can find the pre-order FAQ here: 

On 11/30/2023 at 4:30 PM, titofuenla said:

And for those who have doubts about the speeds it can reach, this is the maximum that it gives me, in case it resolves someone's doubts.

image.png.8a512dd4f174546fc44f687fc80354a5.png

How did you get the R3 already when it is in pre-order status?

On 11/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, titofuenla said:

For reference, the first image is with SmartBoost off and the second with it running. the efficiency of SmartBoost is noticeableqosoff.thumb.png.4de5349c580967037d2063248b9145b7.png

qoson.thumb.png.41f6a9d816ccf66979abec84169bcdc7.png

All I am seeing is that bandwidth is cut in half when using smartboost for qos. I run a UDM-Pro with the R2 running as my geofilter with all the qos stuff turned off. My UDM-Pro gives me a much smaller loss hitting around 750Mbps down and up with SQM running.

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

If I order on the 14th when I get paid, would it be here by Christmas day in the US?

Yes it should be with you by Xmas

36 minutes ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

How did you get the R3 already when it is in pre-order status?

Beta tester

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it should be with you by Xmas

Beta tester

Like beta testing the R3 or the Duma os 4 software on r2? I think I signed up for that as well. Could I get a crack at that as well? I'm a network engineer for a living so I'd like to run test from current Duma os software to the new and see if I can give some feedback.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

Like beta testing the R3 or the Duma os 4 software on r2? I think I signed up for that as well. Could I get a crack at that as well? I'm a network engineer for a living so I'd like to run test from current Duma os software to the new and see if I can give some feedback.

The R3, there isn't a beta for DumaOS 4 on the R2 yet and no need for more beta tests on the R3 now launch is so close. I'm sure we'll provide some beta firmware for the R3 after launch

I miss the days where I can tinker around with the beta firmwares of DumaOS to try out some new features.
However, the lack of an option to save settings of the router locally for easy restoring of settings made it very difficult for me to upgrade to newer firmware versions due to the amount of time it takes to configure the router back to my current settings with the amount of home automation devices and setting manually reserving IP addresses for some devices make it quite a chore in which a simple setting upload can easily restore the router from it's reset state to immediately be up and running. Or maybe like a script to say, set this mac address to this particular IP address and set Wifi 2.4GHz to this name and with this password. That would be most helpful and should not interfere with any added features in an upcoming firmware when restoring the said settings to the router.

Will this be implemented? I thoroughly missed this option from the R1 and the Netgear XR500 when using the R2 that had ample of firmware updates that I never got to try. Am personally on R2 3.3.142. Since trying out the new ones which requires a router reset makes it a hassle and will disturb the annoyingly sensitive Home Automation devices which are not happy when there's any changes made and may sometimes not be able to reconnect to the network for some odd reason. Thus why a settings restore option could easily made sure it is set back to the way it was even if I'm on the latest firmware without the HA devices going out of whack with its connections.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, AsNCo said:

I miss the days where I can tinker around with the beta firmwares of DumaOS to try out some new features.
However, the lack of an option to save settings of the router locally for easy restoring of settings made it very difficult for me to upgrade to newer firmware versions due to the amount of time it takes to configure the router back to my current settings with the amount of home automation devices and setting manually reserving IP addresses for some devices make it quite a chore in which a simple setting upload can easily restore the router from it's reset state to immediately be up and running. Or maybe like a script to say, set this mac address to this particular IP address and set Wifi 2.4GHz to this name and with this password. That would be most helpful and should not interfere with any added features in an upcoming firmware when restoring the said settings to the router.

Will this be implemented? I thoroughly missed this option from the R1 and the Netgear XR300 when using the R2 that had ample of firmware updates that I never got to try. Am personally on R2 3.3.142. Since trying out the new ones which requires a router reset makes it a hassle and will disturb the annoyingly sensitive Home Automation devices which are not happy when there's any changes made and may sometimes not be able to reconnect to the network for some odd reason. Thus why a settings restore option could easily made sure it is set back to the way it was even if I'm on the latest firmware without the HA devices going out of whack with its connections.

We've actually done away with the requirement to factory reset on the latest firmwares in Early Access, if you notice we don't mention to do so after the upgrade anymore. It should no longer be necessary to do so. We don't have a feature for that at the moment but it's been requested before so quite possible it will come in future. 

6 hours ago, xBuTcHeRx said:

Just ordered mine. Hopefully I get it by XMAS. Thank you NETDUMA so much for this. Just as I predicted in my head. WIFI 6.

DUMA OS 4 was an awesome surprise. Can't wait!

If all goes to plan, you will! You're welcome, glad to see you're so excited!

18 hours ago, AsNCo said:

Will this be implemented? I thoroughly missed this option from the R1 and the Netgear XR300 when using the R2 that had ample of firmware updates that I never got to try. Am personally on R2 3.3.142. Since trying out the new ones which requires a router reset makes it a hassle and will disturb the annoyingly sensitive Home Automation devices which are not happy when there's any changes made and may sometimes not be able to reconnect to the network for some odd reason. Thus why a settings restore option could easily made sure it is set back to the way it was even if I'm on the latest firmware without the HA devices going out of whack with its connections.

This is something I'd highlighted back in 2020.
Would be nice to have such option to backup settings (especially the home devices configs) to quickly restore them rather than manually adding them back, or setting up speed, geo-filter, (basically user configs)  if we ever needed the reset R3.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you clarify what you mean exactly?

I'm gonna be late on r3 order till I sell my xr500 down the road hopefully I can I want a r3 so bad or even a r2 to eventually get 4.0 dumaos it would be cool I'm sad due to owning only a r1 xr500 and xr1000 hoping to get all dumaos routers for a collection!