ANNOUNCEMENT: The Netduma R2 is here

8 minutes ago, gkontos10 said:

Can i ask something 

I have XR500 

The R2 will be better of XR500 about firmware?? 

Does it worth to get the R2? 

This the big question also for me... I use netgear products almost 20 years now... and I can say that is very solid products! My first router is still working!! But they have very very very slow release to fix problems with firmware updates... on the other hand we have Duma! This the reason I bought the XR500. For the software! Now with the R2 they have the opportunity to have a stable machine (imagine Netgear give some advise how to built the hardware) and the freedom to push firmware upgrades quickly!! I really start to think 🤔 to sell my XR500 and purchase the R2. 

Just curious. The R1 was not able to obtain full speeds on a Hybrid VPN connection due to hardware limitations. Has this been solved with this new hardware?

It would be great if I could get full speeds using my NordVPN connection on the router instead of having to install the app on all the devices.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

The R2 looks sexy AF.

just seen the advert on youtube :)

could someone point out the main differences between r1 and r2?

im guessing r1 will continued to be supported and both run on same os?

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Nothing changes with that. Think of the R2 as an addition to the DumaOS lineup. We’ll keep adding more and more testers to the R1 beta, and we’re working with Netgear to do the same with theirs. 

Biggest difference with the R2 is it’s all ours from the bottom up. This means we can get new firmwares to the R2 in the shortest time possible. 

Shortest possible time is 2 - 3 Netduma years! 

2 hours ago, Corbula said:

As far as I'm aware AX was never standardised and WiFi 6 replaced it. So everyone with AX is stuffed as there won't be any devices that support it. 

AX is WiFi 6 and is a complete different ball game with the top spec routers. Some of us use them and they work very well. I’m using the RAX120 and it has an impressive coverage range and internal connection rates are fast. 

1 hour ago, Kostas83 said:

This the big question also for me... I use netgear products almost 20 years now... and I can say that is very solid products! My first router is still working!! But they have very very very slow release to fix problems with firmware updates... on the other hand we have Duma! This the reason I bought the XR500. For the software! Now with the R2 they have the opportunity to have a stable machine (imagine Netgear give some advise how to built the hardware) and the freedom to push firmware upgrades quickly!! I really start to think 🤔 to sell my XR500 and purchase the R2. 

Netgear push security updates. Netduma have to supply Netgear with patches so unless NG get them they can’t push updates.

1 minute ago, Newfie said:

Netgear push security updates. Netduma have to supply Netgear with patches so unless NG get them they can’t push updates.

You only have to look at the history , Asus have the right approach a,completely dominate Netgear with updates and I’m sure Netduma can also do this 

Netgear are not to blame for long term bugs. They have great hardware but are reliant on software sent to them which sadly has not been the case. I still use Netgear but I prefer a more secure router as I value security as well as a great performing router. 

2 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Netgear are not to blame for long term bugs. They have great hardware but are reliant on software sent to them which sadly has not been the case. I still use Netgear but I prefer a more secure router as I value security as well as a great performing router. 

Disagree as having owned many Netgear hardware ,they are responsible to maintain there equipment,if ASUs can do it they should also ,I’ll give you an example ,I stopped using XR500 and purchased ASUS GT AX2900 ...... 3 firmware updates in 4 months including security... XR ....nothing .... says it really 

14 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

Disagree as having owned many Netgear hardware ,they are responsible to maintain there equipment,if ASUs can do it they should also ,I’ll give you an example ,I stopped using XR500 and purchased ASUS GT AX2900 ...... 3 firmware updates in 4 months including security... XR ....nothing .... says it really 

So you think the lack of updates are NG fault and Netduma have been supplying them but they never release them. If you want to believe that that’s fine by me. My RAX120 has been supported well, runs like a dream but hey it’s a Netgear only router.

1 minute ago, Newfie said:

So you think the lack of updates are NG fault and Netduma have been supplying them but they never release them. If you want to believe that that’s fine by me. My RAX120 has been supported well, runs like a dream but hey it’s a Netgear only router.

Your missing the point ,yes lack of updates is down to Netgear as it’s firmware runs in the background ,clearly the RAX is more supported as it’s newer ,they did the same with R7800 ,though Voxels firmware soon sorted that out and still does 

Much less capable hardware unfortunately. Should have atleast 2x ram and flash. I guess that due to money and so on you chose mediatek over broadcom? Looks good and the positive is direct and faster updates.

9 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Your missing the point ,yes lack of updates is down to Netgear as it’s firmware runs in the background ,clearly the RAX is more supported as it’s newer ,they did the same with R7800 ,though Voxels firmware soon sorted that out and still does 

Any updates from Netgear for Duma must be supplied from Netduma to start with. NGs firmware is stable on the 500 and does what it says in the background so you have your WiFi drivers, beamforming and so on but the gaming software that had bugs that we all kept on about is within Duma and as NG don’t develop that they can’t fix it unless a fix is supplied to them. 
so leaky VPN, bufferbloat issues, PPPoE, lack of support for mobile browser and so on are nothing to do with NG, they can’t fix them unless they get updates from Netduma. 
in very simple terms NG supply the hardware and Duma is the software. It also doesn’t matter whether the Router is older or newer for support, normally new routers will get more updates due to bug fixes but as time goes on you end up with more security fixes than bug fixes. 
No router is going to be bug free, that’s the nature of them.

With the R2 as it’s their own router updates should be quicker on 3.0 and as long as any bugs that are found across the platforms are also passed on to Netgear the XR series will be updated to.

28 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Any updates from Netgear for Duma must be supplied from Netduma to start with. NGs firmware is stable on the 500 and does what it says in the background so you have your WiFi drivers, beamforming and so on but the gaming software that had bugs that we all kept on about is within Duma and as NG don’t develop that they can’t fix it unless a fix is supplied to them. 
so leaky VPN, bufferbloat issues, PPPoE, lack of support for mobile browser and so on are nothing to do with NG, they can’t fix them unless they get updates from Netduma. 
in very simple terms NG supply the hardware and Duma is the software. It also doesn’t matter whether the Router is older or newer for support, normally new routers will get more updates due to bug fixes but as time goes on you end up with more security fixes than bug fixes. 
No router is going to be bug free, that’s the nature of them.

With the R2 as it’s their own router updates should be quicker on 3.0 and as long as any bugs that are found across the platforms are also passed on to Netgear the XR series will be updated to.

This is my first disco ....lol

14 hours ago, mathmath51 said:

So now you'll have 5 routers to support.

The outdated R1 (sorry), 3 Netgear that you'll need validation from them to be authaurized to release anything on them and your new flagship that should be the center of attention.

These routers have different specs so will require more testing and validating. 

Are you still confident that you can support all of that in the same roadmap without having to delay version for one of these routers or worse, skip feature because Netgear said no or the R1 can't handle it?

Thanks

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: The whole idea of DumaOS is for it to be hardware agnostic. Once the rapp store is fully launched, updates for different routers will be a piece of cake.

14 hours ago, gkontos10 said:

Can i ask something 

I have XR500 

The R2 will be better of XR500 about firmware?? 

Does it worth to get the R2? 

Currently we have no plans to make any hardware exclusive features. When it comes to firmware, the main difference will be the speed of updates. We expect that the R2 will be updated more quickly than the XR500 because there are less verification steps to get an R2 firmware published. That said, both are great routers and both will be updated.

14 hours ago, Nuyorrican said:

Just curious. The R1 was not able to obtain full speeds on a Hybrid VPN connection due to hardware limitations. Has this been solved with this new hardware?

It would be great if I could get full speeds using my NordVPN connection on the router instead of having to install the app on all the devices.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

The R2 looks sexy AF.

The R2 can handle much faster WAN connections than the R1 could, the processor is better so that bottleneck is lifted. I don't have any hard numbers on Hybrid-VPN performance but in my personal testing I've found that it feels very responsive. It largely depends on your VPN provider and chosen server location, of course.

14 hours ago, daz said:

just seen the advert on youtube :)

could someone point out the main differences between r1 and r2?

im guessing r1 will continued to be supported and both run on same os?

The R2 has better hardware in terms of processor, memory, wifi. The R2 supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the R1 only supports 2.4GHz. Once DumaOS 3.0 is released, the two units will have the same software features. In future, we may have to set limits for the R1 that won't be there for other units, but we have no plans to do this yet. We would never artificially limit a unit, but if a feature we develop needs more power than the R1 can provide, we won't have a choice.

11 hours ago, MattyAu said:

Not sure it's worth updating from an XR500 just to get updates a bit quicker. Esp when I haven't had any issues with the XR500...

That's totally fair, the XR500 is still an awesome router and we'll continue to support it with software updates.

2 hours ago, Od1n said:

Does the new router have an inbuilt modem? Or will you need an additional modem or second router in bridge/dhcp mode?

The R2 is only a router, so you'll need a modem in addition to the R2.