ANNOUNCEMENT: The Netduma R2 is here

On 7/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, Newfie said:

No one is dropping AX. All that is happing is a new 6Ghz channel will be opened up and only AX devices will use that and only if they have the capacity to do so. No AC device will be able to use the 6Ghz channel so you will be spending a lot if you want to change devices.
The old argument of waiting has flaws as there is no way to truly future proof as chipsets develop and tech moves forward. OFCOM are already talking of WiFi 7 so do you wait for that. 
AX is not just about speed and using multiple devices at the same time with no delay, it’s better security, battery battery management for devices, can handle congestion interference better which is something that plagues old routers. Throughput is increased, and 5Ghz now has far better coverage and a capacity to handle more devices.
we’ve just seen the R9000 the daddy to the XR700 go end of life. Manufactures are pushing AX, even isps now supply AX to customers. 
then look at the speed of the processors and the instructions that can be handled. Good times ahead. 

It's different answer for different, I've got no need for it. I don't even have 5ghz and cope just fine for what I need, even with 4k. Don't need any more than my Internet bandwidth. 

The R1 WiFi doesnt reach all around my house so I'm very interested in the R2 for the extra range but am I able to return it if there's no change in WiFi range ???

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, daz said:

The R1 WiFi doesnt reach all around my house so I'm very interested in the R2 for the extra range but am I able to return it if there's no change in WiFi range ???

Yes you can return it within 14 days for any reason.

Very happy for you even if I am a little disappointed compared to the material I would have had no hesitation if it was equivalent or superior to the xr500 point of view material but with a 1gb connection, I am afraid that it is limited: /

Very happy for you even if I am a little disappointed compared to the material I would have had no hesitation if it was equivalent or superior to the xr500 point of view material but with a 1gb connection, I am afraid that it is limited: /

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Nalsano said:

Without QoS the R2 should reach close to gigabit speeds so if you want QoS at those higher speeds then the XR would be the better choice.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Without QoS the R2 should reach close to gigabit speeds so if you want QoS at those higher speeds then the XR would be the better choice.

the r2 doesn't support gig speed

I currently have an Asus RT-AC68U, how would this compare hardware wise? It claims to cover 1800sq ft and 30+ devices. I’d like to know these types of details for the R2 before I pre order 

Well I pre-ordered last week, but maybe I jumped the gun...

How can it not support gig WAN (with or without QoS)?

Have you guys got actual validated test results from the R2 platform?

It seems crazy in 2020 to not support gigabit WAN, I feel like that I would need to upgrade the R2 in the next few years, I would much rather pay an extra 25% now to have something that will last 5+ years...

8 hours ago, tephra said:

Eh bien, j'ai précommandé la semaine dernière, mais peut-être que j'ai sauté le pistolet ...

Comment ne prend-il pas en charge le gig WAN (avec ou sans QoS)?

Avez-vous des résultats de tests validés sur la plate-forme R2?

Cela semble fou en 2020 de ne pas prendre en charge le gigabit WAN, j'ai l'impression que j'aurais besoin de mettre à niveau le R2 dans les prochaines années, je préfère de loin payer 25% de plus maintenant pour avoir quelque chose qui durera plus de 5 ans ...

hi yes the r2 is capable of receiving a speed of 1gb but with the qos disabled .. I imagine that if you use the qos it will be limited to around 400 mbits 500 mbits from the point of view of the material 

I imagine that they wanted to limit the material so as not to be too high in price

Il y a 18 heures, Netduma Fraser a déclaré:

Sans QoS, le R2 devrait atteindre les vitesses proches du gigabit, donc si vous voulez une QoS à ces vitesses plus élevées, le XR serait le meilleur choix.

yes it's a shame after I understand your point of view on the business plan but since I have speeds of 1gb I think I stayed on the xr500 :( because it bothers me to regressed hardware level

If you push that kind of bandwidth you're not likely to need QoS much. Unless you have a lot of devices etc but then a more powerful solution would be preferred anyhow.

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

If you push that kind of bandwidth you're not likely to need QoS much. Unless you have a lot of devices etc but then a more powerful solution would be preferred anyhow.

doesnt matter how much bandwidth you have because your devices will always try to use it all, netduma has a video about it on youtube

1 minute ago, daz said:

doesnt matter how much bandwidth you have because your devices will always try to use it all, netduma has a video about it on youtube

Not really actually, unless you have a ton of devices running.

Because they are also restricted from the sender. For example if you watch YT or Netflix. They will send you data in bursts so you can buffer it. But if you have a 1000/1000 connection these data bursts will not choke up 1000 mbit, because they limit their sending rates.

TCP/IP will try to max out your connection in theory yes, but in real world scenario's this practically never happens at those speeds. That is why QoS is more important on low bandwidth connections vs very high bandwidth connections.

So if you own a high bandwidth connection, it's simply a matter of looking at your usage. Do you need QoS yes or no. And if yes, what hardware do you need to run your connection with QoS enabled. This varies as different types of QoS can be more CPU intensive over others. 

17 minutes ago, OverTime247 said:

When will 3.0 open up for everyone on the XR500 since the new firmware goes to a new router again , signed up on netgear but never heard anything .

Hello and welcome to the forum.

This is a common question especially since the announcement of the R2. We will continue to invite users, and once we feel the beta is relatively stable we'll then transition to an open beta.

We appreciate your patience and your support.

Regards,

Steve

The R2 looks very stylish 👀👍. Got a quick question about the ram. Is the ram in the R2 the faster rated ddr4? Or is it ddr3 or the same ram speed found in the r1? Just curious. And actually I'm not sure if router ram uses same ram chips as system ram in PC's lol. 

Just wanted to learn. I have the r1 for several years now and it's still serving me perfectly 🙂

• Administrators
On 7/28/2020 at 6:44 PM, Numo36 said:

What about xr700 beta 

That is coming, we're working hard to get it tested and out as fast as possible.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, Run_N_Gun_With_My_Netduma said:

The R2 looks very stylish 👀👍. Got a quick question about the ram. Is the ram in the R2 the faster rated ddr4? Or is it ddr3 or the same ram speed found in the r1? Just curious. And actually I'm not sure if router ram uses same ram chips as system ram in PC's lol. 

Just wanted to learn. I have the r1 for several years now and it's still serving me perfectly 🙂

Good question, I've asked a developer so will get back to you when I have an answer.

The RAM is DDR3.

Edited by Netduma Fraser
Added information.

What really are the actual bandwidth numbers the router capable of pushing out with traffic shaping rules enabled? Not a guesstimate please. I'm sure that you have a way to run iPerf or something similar.

Is IPv6 100% fully functional or does it break QoS or other features like it does on the XR500?

Does it support file sharing and print sharing over USB?

I'm shocked that such basic info about neither the software or the hardware is provided.

People must have a ton of disposable income just to throw at an item they have no clue about.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:55 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Nope, our relationship with Netgear is still going strong and we'll be supporting all of their Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers going forward. If you're a Nighthawk Pro Gaming user, you won't be missing out on any new DumaOS features.

that being said , is the new duma 2.0 more tech advanced than the nighthawk XR500 or XR700? The specs state a dual thread processor what is the GHZ?