Jump to content

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Netduma R2 is here


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
49 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Can you supply a feet measurement or metric for the coverage to help those looking at the WiFi spec. Large house could mean anything so a measurement would be better, very much like NG supply.

I'll try and get a more clear cut answer for you.

28 minutes ago, Od1n said:

Thanks for the response, thats awesome to hear.

My last question would be about the on-router VPN. Is the new R2 CPU strong enough to provide VPN speeds of above 100mbits? The CPU of the R1 only allows VPN speeds of up to 3-5mbits since the R1 CPU cannot keep up with the calculations.

In short, what speeds can we expect when using the R2 onboard VPN option?

Alex covered this earlier in the topic, don't have any specifics at the moment:

Quote

The R2 can handle much faster WAN connections than the R1 could, the processor is better so that bottleneck is lifted. I don't have any hard numbers on Hybrid-VPN performance but in my personal testing I've found that it feels very responsive. It largely depends on your VPN provider and chosen server location, of course.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes, it's much better this time around! 

Are there any estimates about how much bandwith it is capable of with QoS features enabled?

With QoS on my R1 barely reaches 100MBit. If i can expect it to reach around 400-500 MBit with QoS features on, it's totally worth the upgrade. 

I really don't wanna bash on the Hardware or Company but with increasing bandwith speeds and the upcoming next gen consoles the Router should be able to download a game in a reasonable time and not be a bad bottleneck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
38 minutes ago, CrophiXx said:

Are there any estimates about how much bandwith it is capable of with QoS features enabled?

With QoS on my R1 barely reaches 100MBit. If i can expect it to reach around 400-500 MBit with QoS features on, it's totally worth the upgrade. 

I really don't wanna bash on the Hardware or Company but with increasing bandwith speeds and the upcoming next gen consoles the Router should be able to download a game in a reasonable time and not be a bad bottleneck.

I'll try and get some estimates and get back to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, fakkel said:

€20 shipping? I never had to pay €20 to ship any Netduma products to the Netherlands! Why is shipping not free for a €170+ product, not buying it if I have to pay €20 for mere shipping I am sorry.

We've never given free shipping on the R1 and the same with the R2. That's perfectly understandable, perhaps we can get some cheaper shipping alternatives after launch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Od1n said:

Thanks for the response, thats awesome to hear.

My last question would be about the on-router VPN. Is the new R2 CPU strong enough to provide VPN speeds of above 100mbits? The CPU of the R1 only allows VPN speeds of up to 3-5mbits since the R1 CPU cannot keep up with the calculations.

In short, what speeds can we expect when using the R2 onboard VPN option?

I've got some more information for you. It still does run about the same speed - this is the same on the XR routers as well. However, we have an idea we are looking into on how we can massively improve this. Once it is ready we'll provide an update for free via the Rapp store.

1 hour ago, CrophiXx said:

Are there any estimates about how much bandwith it is capable of with QoS features enabled?

With QoS on my R1 barely reaches 100MBit. If i can expect it to reach around 400-500 MBit with QoS features on, it's totally worth the upgrade. 

I really don't wanna bash on the Hardware or Company but with increasing bandwith speeds and the upcoming next gen consoles the Router should be able to download a game in a reasonable time and not be a bad bottleneck.

With QoS on it can reach 300-400mbps currently but we're looking into optimizing this further to improve the max throughput. With QoS off it can reach near gigabit speeds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a hugeeee difference between free shipping and €20 I can't find a single other company that charges €20 when it the product has to ship to a neighbour country.... I dont live on another continent!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, fakkel said:

There is a hugeeee difference between free shipping and €20 I can't find a single other company that charges €20 when it the product has to ship to a neighbour country.... I dont live on another continent!

It's always been that price for us for DHL Express 1 working day delivery. We do usually have Royal Mail as an option as well which is cheaper but takes a bit longer. Due to COVID we didn't want to risk it as they can be unreliable but will bring it back after everything has settled down. We will be seeking cheaper alternatives as well in the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is crazy, almost 10% of the price of the product itself. I understand your decision making because of the Covid but together with the €20 shipping cost the product still cost €200....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
16 minutes ago, fakkel said:

I think it is crazy, almost 10% of the price of the product itself. I understand your decision making because of the Covid but together with the €20 shipping cost the product still cost €200....

Thank you for the feedback, as I said we're looking for cheaper alternatives so if you would prefer to wait we'll have some cheaper options in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CrophiXx said:

Are there any estimates about how much bandwith it is capable of with QoS features enabled?

With QoS on my R1 barely reaches 100MBit. If i can expect it to reach around 400-500 MBit with QoS features on, it's totally worth the upgrade. 

I really don't wanna bash on the Hardware or Company but with increasing bandwith speeds and the upcoming next gen consoles the Router should be able to download a game in a reasonable time and not be a bad bottleneck.

I don't really understand this as I am able to get a good 300+ mbit out of the R1 with QoS enabled. The newer DumaOS versions are a bit more CPU intensive, on original FW I could get 400+ mbit.

 

Unless you're running PPPoE mode or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for the shipping price. You get a discount on the pre-order so if you wait until later when there is cheaper options you're still paying more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've got some more information for you. It still does run about the same speed - this is the same on the XR routers as well. However, we have an idea we are looking into on how we can massively improve this. Once it is ready we'll provide an update for free via the Rapp store.

With QoS on it can reach 300-400mbps currently but we're looking into optimizing this further to improve the max throughput. With QoS off it can reach near gigabit speeds.


Hi, I just have a question regarding QoS on the Netduma R2, I have around 900mbps download and around 50mbps upload although this can sometimes vary and drop to around 25mbps.

As a result the main thing I would want more control over is the upload as I’m not worried about maxing out the download. 
 

I was wondering is it possible to use QOS only on the upload and would this then improve the max achievable download speed or does it have to be enabled on both restricting to around the 300-400mbps you mentioned ? Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
17 minutes ago, Ross said:

Hi, I just have a question regarding QoS on the Netduma R2, I have around 900mbps download and around 50mbps upload although this can sometimes vary and drop to around 25mbps.

As a result the main thing I would want more control over is the upload as I’m not worried about maxing out the download. 

I was wondering is it possible to use QOS only on the upload and would this then improve the max achievable download speed or does it have to be enabled on both restricting to around the 300-400mbps you mentioned ? Thanks 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That's a good question and it is the latter at the moment, I will however suggest that to the team as that is quite a good workaround.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That's a good question and it is the latter at the moment, I will however suggest that to the team as that is quite a good workaround.

Thanks for clarifying. It would be a great feature if it could help increase max download speed.
 

While I am definitely no expert in theory I would think having QoS only enabled on upload would reduce the processing load on the router which may help increase max potential download.
 

Still very tempted to pre order as a lot of the Duma OS features look great, I’ve never come across a router that offers so many gaming focused features. I can always turn off QoS when I’m looking to achieve greater download speeds as well I suppose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been signed up for a while for the DUMAOS 3.0 beta for the R1 and XR500 haven't received any email for three weeks now and I have been with netduma before DUMAOS on the old software for the R1 back in 2014 2015 ordered the R2 just so I can have the DUMAOS 3.0 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
48 minutes ago, Ross said:

Thanks for clarifying. It would be a great feature if it could help increase max download speed.

While I am definitely no expert in theory I would think having QoS only enabled on upload would reduce the processing load on the router which may help increase max potential download.

Still very tempted to pre order as a lot of the Duma OS features look great, I’ve never come across a router that offers so many gaming focused features. I can always turn off QoS when I’m looking to achieve greater download speeds as well I suppose. 

That's certainly plausible, I've passed it on to the team! Glad to hear you like what we're offering. It's definitely our biggest update to date and will pave the way for more features to be added much more easily.

32 minutes ago, Boldshoter30 said:

I've been signed up for a while for the DUMAOS 3.0 beta for the R1 and XR500 haven't received any email for three weeks now and I have been with netduma before DUMAOS on the old software for the R1 back in 2014 2015 ordered the R2 just so I can have the DUMAOS 3.0 

Invites are still being sent out so always the chance you'll get it before the R2 ships but thank you for the support, we really appreciate you sticking with us for this long!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's certainly plausible, I've passed it on to the team! Glad to hear you like what we're offering. It's definitely our biggest update to date and will pave the way for more features to be added much more easily.

Invites are still being sent out so always the chance you'll get it before the R2 ships but thank you for the support, we really appreciate you sticking with us for this long!

you're welcome :) Fraser

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
28 minutes ago, alex.devine said:

@Netduma Alex @Netduma Fraser Can the R2 be used with normal Broadband? I do not have Fibre.

I would like to know before i order the R2.

XR500 getting sold, Netgear seem slow and I want OS3 :)

Yes absolutely, it can be used with any ISP/connection type as long as you have an existing modem/router to connect it to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Killhippie
10 minutes ago, mohands said:

I have placed the order . I will sell my XR500 as I want to get faster updates. 

I would keep the XR500 as its more powerful. It really depends I guess on how many devices you have. Maybe compare both and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, Bert said:

 

You don't even need the XR500 in your case tbh.

 

I have exactly the same setup, 1 PC and 1 PS4 and wifi turned off. R1 runs this fine altough if you want QoS the bandwidth will become a issue and PPPoE support is an issue.

 

I'm running the R1 now instead of the XR500 and really it performs practically no different in game. The only thing is I need to use my ISP router as well, while I generally run PPPoE on the XR500.

thanks for your reply.  I want faster updates so I just ordered the R2 too 🙈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...