Jump to content

Newfoundland

DumaOS Insiders
  • Posts

    2122
  • Joined

  • Days Won

    8

Everything posted by Newfoundland

  1. This is my personal view but I don’t think they branched out, still using cache on the web browser, it’s really old tech. The Internet has moved on and so is networking And that’s why companies like UniFi who are not that old, 2005 if mem serves me well but look how they have grown. I can see company house reports because in the UK companies have to publicly show reports. They could’ve easily produce a gaming router, normal routers and grown and developed into more hardware and different market segments. My personal point of view and the again is my personal point of view the hardware is lacking and it’s outdated software. If I look in the Philippines the majority game on mobile phones. The majority use a generic router. A Niche market is risky, I just wish they had branched out more in the early days. and here’s the thing you can walk into an airport go onto the public Wi-Fi and make perfectly stable video calls, and that’s with thousands of people using that network. networking has moved on a great deal, I just wish they had moved on with it. I believe they could’ve had a decent company covering different aspects of networking. That’s my personal point of you and it would’ve been great to see a British company competing against other companies. I’m still in the U.K. at the moment, flipping between countries and I talk to better half with no latency issues and she sat in a very basic provincial house using a generic router. It’s not even set up in a good place it’s in the corner of the house and next to it is the solar system which I put in.
  2. What is the throughput on each access point? I can’t personally see them developing a mesh, they have never branched out beyond gaming routers sadly. WiFi 7 promised a lot but it can’t escape physics and restraints of WiFi. MLO is a mess and very few clients apart from the obvious phones. Until IoT that make up the vast majority of clients change we see much promise much but offer little sadly.
  3. Yes it’s an isp which supplies generic routers. Thanks to the EU many grants have been supplied to enable fibre throughout many areas in the Philippines right into remote areas. Typical build is hollow core with rebar and then a cement wrapping. My better half gets 400 up and down in a rented province house for the grand sum of 300 peso a month, which at present rates is around 4.26 euro a month.
  4. I know how it is we have a place in The Philippines and we have built in typhoon alley, it’s wrapped concrete with rebars just like yours. The only advantage was I was able to plan for solar integrations and network but even the basic PDLT routers work fine here. Mesh will not work well in your case.
  5. The R3 was never the greatest at distance compared to other manufacturers. You would need to be wired throughout and need granular control, that’s a bit more than most domestic routers support. My old Netgear RX120 had so much more coverage, just better hardware. You would benefit from a little wired Unifi system.
  6. Trouble is with a mesh what makes you think your phone will swap, they work by signal strength and in a small apartment mesh systems don’t work well because phones will tend to stick to a single access point. WiFi 6 should have helped due to the BSS Coloring, WiFi 6 was built for congested areas, you would need to ask the developers what standards within WiFi 6 they support on the R3.
  7. You should not need to lower that bandwidth that low to have QoS work its magic. to test your speed to see what’s going on, put your isp modem/router into router mode and check speed and if that’s low your issue is with your isp. You should only need to lower QoS buy a small amount for a buffer, I would use ping plotter rather than that website and you can watch in real time to see the results.
  8. I would hope they can supply you some as it would then match the dBi specs so that the radiation pattern remains the same across all antennas as designed and tested.
  9. Hold the reset button on for at least 20 seconds and it should reset the router. If that’s not working you may have to consider TFTP and if that fails and the reset is not working with pin I would think you have a hardware issue. https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-a-TFTP-client-on-Microsoft-Windows
  10. Nope they sell a router, that in its own right is a router company but they have not progressed and since the R3 struggles with memory and we see posts asking for reboot schedules tells you there is an issue. They simply don’t have the interest or income on that to compete. It’s still relies on web cache which also went out years ago, it’s really dated now and the only unique item is geo filtering. As for WiFi 6 I can’t see a single statement of what subsets it supports, nothing mentioned which is unique in its self. I’ve also never seen a security update which is rather unique too. Does it support OFDMA, TwT, PMF, BSS Coloring, who knows because nothing is mentioned. I think their future is services rather than routers and with QoE which they clearly show you can tell the direction they are moving which I think is the right way. Why waste money on hardware when there are more viable options that involve a greater aspect of networking compared to a small number of end users playing COD which is their core audience. Times are changing, even my ex MP has moved into QoE.
  11. Only IoT clients tend to not be WiFi 6 but WiFi6 is now used widely used and while only a small group don’t care the greater number of users require good WiFi. Hell I’ve WiFi 7 clients now. I personally think there will not be a R4, looking at the way they are moving towards QoE I would say that’s going to be far more beneficial and financially stable than selling a router for a very small market of end-users. Clearly releasing one router at a time is not a company evolving, it’s keeping to its format and looking to branch into other areas. Service areas is a good call. the small company does not hold up, look at others and how they have grown over the years. Trouble is it’s a very small market and so returns are small. Yes companies start but the choice to remain in such a small market is a choice they make rather than say for example Netgear or the later in the game Ubiquiti. I can’t for the life of me think of another router that needs rebooting to clear out memory, it’s not the 1980 we live in, it’s something that went out with the ark. to compete against the other big boys to produce a top notch with a complete overhaul of its firmware is just not going to happen, they can’t compete that way because the end product would be so expensive and for a small company the risks are too great for such a small number of end users.
  12. Something is terribly wrong if you need to lower that amount. what tests are you running?
  13. What client are you testing it with? Ah I see your testing with iPhone 15 pro. Yes you should be knocking on the 800 to 900 mark on an iperf test.
  14. Hopefully they can fix that but with the Netgear router you have official drivers from the chipset manufacturers so WiFi tends to be far better. The XR500 was a fully fledged wave 2 WiFi 5 router. The R3 is WiFi 6 but we don’t know what subsets it supports but it’s a basic 2x2 router so one client at a time which is fine for a basic setup and that connectivity can be off set if you use 2.4 for IoT stuff and keep the 5Ghz for other devices. Of course no software can alter the fact that if you have a good number of clients using those bands at any time then there is queuing and you don’t want retransmissions as that will create latency so yes a better AP is handy if you have many WiFi clients.
  15. I hope for your sake he never had access to your Network. Never ever let anyone mess with your clients or router. The only people who need access is you. If you have no idea how either your pc or router works I would strongly recommend you learn.
  16. Fraser should pop in and help once he’s on the forum. On a gig up and down unless you have a congested network you don’t need QoS.
  17. Just an update, I'm home, I'm engaged too and what a lovely country with everyone I met who were friendly and helped me.
  18. It's also worth checking that you don't have a problem with your ISP and that will then tell you that it's the router that's having issues. To do this use ping plotter.
  19. They don't mention a single use of WiFi 6 standards, in fact the test only show AC . It would be nice to know what is running in the background for all. I would recommend you research a little to know what can and can't be done as it will help you in the future.
  20. You are wrong, the test results only show AC not AX and if you also look at broadcoms site for the chipset it does state mu mimo down only. The standards like that or PMF, BSS,TwT are optional and do not require any action regarding FCC. If the chipset alters then a submission is required as it's hardware. Software has no impact.
  21. It's on the link I posted which tells you in the tests carried out. The higher the gain the more directional so you end up with strong signal in a single path at high gains. Plenty of info out there how gain alters radiation pattern
  22. Thank you. Landed yesterday after a 19 hour trip. Everyone is so kind and caring
×
×
  • Create New...