Traffic Prioritization Settings: Modern Warefare (BO4)

East

Thanks Zippy.  I'm also on X1X and in personal testing IPv6 significantly helps download speeds, so if it's not negatively impacting any Traffic Priority rulesets or in-game performance then I'll opt to leave it enabled.

For share excess I have enough bandwidth to spare so disabling for download allocation doesn't seem to serve a purpose for me.  For upload speeds disabling Share Excess is almost required for me, as I've got so little up speed to dole out.

Here's where I'm at with this experiment:

Platform: X1X

Bandwidth: 350/10

Problem: 4 out of 5 matches on average are shoot-first/die-first experiences, or perceived one-frame death experiences.  That one out of five that works gives me hope that there's a solution here.  I'm not chasing god lobbies, just trying to balance my communication with the servers and have a chance to react in game.

Geo Filter: enabled - "home in ocean", ping assist: 25ms (this just helps me eliminate p2p connections with low tickrates and high pings, which are seemingly rampant around me)

DMZ/Port Forwarding/Triggering: None

IPv6: Enabled

DNS: Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 (personal testing, this was best for my dl speeds)

Anti-Bufferbloat: 100% set to Never

Bandwidth Allocation: 100 down / 2.5 up (spending a lot of time testing here still)

Share Excess: download: enabled, upload: disabled

DumaOS Classified Games: disabled

Traffic Prioritization: option 1 from OP*, UDP only  (i haven't tested a ton here, to be fair, but the "both" option in my initial experience was not as stable as UDP only)

Current Evaluation: mixed bag. I haven't had any miracle matches, where I feel like I'm ahead of the lobby, but i don't feel as behind either. The connection seems more consistent than it was prior.  The shoot-first/die-first matches seem less frequent, but are still there. That said, this is already noticeably better than my vanilla settings. The overall "feel" is improved, which is ultimately all I'm trying to solve for.

As I enjoy tinkering, I'll be plugging away and tweaking settings in the coming days as well.  Love this community and thanks for the insights and advice everyone!

*Source 3074-3075  -> Destination 3100-3500

Source 3100 - 3500 -> Destination 3074 - 3075 

Source 3074-3075 -> Destination 30000-45000

Source 30000-45000 -> Destination 3074-3075

I have found the port ranges also change with your setup.

Basicly

OPEN NAT = SRC 3074

Moderate NAT = SRC 62000-65535 anywhere in there

Also it might be coincidence but I was playing on my alt account with crossplay on, and it seems like the PC players were unkillable. So I turned that off as well.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, Seye said:

How is that enjoyable ??? I get bored in two games

It's not enjoyable at all to be honest.  I think they do it to get achievements, etc as it's much harder then in other COD titles with SBMM dialed to 11.

I wanted to point out if you come across someone like that they can and will wreck that match.  All can do it all by themselves.  Which is why I say leave the match and find something else. 

On 12/7/2019 at 6:37 PM, Seye said:

Update: So I have tried TCP which at first was good then tried UDP & TCP made no difference, thentl UDP only boy oh boy......the difference is clear my gamplay smooth and much more better.

Servers and peers I connected to ping where between  5 to 8ms, in game ping was between 18 to 23 steady.

I would say to anyone else who wants to try this out and ain't getting results, I would suggest trying UDP only.

@East  Thanks for sharing this.

Screenshot_20191207-224511.png

15757611911167880873474512178812.jpg

UDP only?

I'm not sure why using both would cause a problem like that.  From the other thread some do use tcp.  Hmm, how do you have your Traffic Prioritization setup can you post a pic? And could you provide examples of what the differences are between udp and both in game? I understand that it's smoother for you.  Not sure how it was better?

@blackfirehawk

You might be on to something.  Large ranges don't seem to work or work as good when you segment them to smaller ranges.  The only other issue is using both tcp and udp.  I am still trying to figure out if "both" also has that problem or do we have to use udp then setup ranges for tcp???  I hope not.  :(

5 hours ago, East said:

UDP only?

I'm not sure why using both would cause a problem like that.  From the other thread some do use tcp.  Hmm, how do you have your Traffic Prioritization setup can you post a pic? And could you provide examples of what the differences are between udp and both in game? I understand that it's smoother for you.  Not sure how it was better?

@blackfirehawk

You might be on to something.  Large ranges don't seem to work or work as good when you segment them to smaller ranges.  The only other issue is using both tcp and udp.  I am still trying to figure out if "both" also has that problem or do we have to use udp then setup ranges for tcp???  I hope not.  :(

Hey like I said TCP okay at the time it felt better than my current setup before using yours on here, TCP and UDP didn't noticed a thing or difference felt like I didnt use Traffic Prioritization at all like it was OFF.

Then UDP only:

#Find Lobby's with in seconds of search both Multiplayer and Blackout

#Start game with team mates, not the last person to load into the lobby while count down starts, even if I back out of a lobby and join another I'm not randomly thrown into another lobby where people have abandoned halfway to the end or about to end.

#On blackout Alcatraz I'm most times the first 1 or 5th person to land before others depending on how close the game spawns me to the closet building 90% I'm 1 or 2nd among my team mates, I know this because I can tell when my team mate land or an enemy near by.

#on Multiplayer and Blackout I dont miss a shot anymore, I use to spray and pray hoping first few shot I miss and the rest I hit my target.

But now all my shots I land hit there target , Its more precise that's the only I can explain it. Movement is way quicker I'm one step ahead of my opponent unless they know I'm round the corner and even at that I still get a drop on them if Im really quick.

No more shoot first and die first BS which I'm so happy about, now I think I would give Modern warfare try. At least now I know for sure I hit my targets!

You can see all this in action in the videos I posted above heck Iat times I cant keep up with the pace of my character.

I just hope other people get this working for them.

Capture.JPG

@East thats good news, I'm not a tech guy like you but what does this traffic prioritization actually mean and do?

I'm getting a copy of MW today give it another shot first experience was very bad hopefully this gives me an edge.

9 hours ago, Seye said:

@East thats good news, I'm not a tech guy like you but what does this traffic prioritization actually mean and do?

I'm getting a copy of MW today give it another shot first experience was very bad hopefully this gives me an edge.

Well it gives priority to those packets so that you can game as intended by the developers (in laymen terms from my understanding).

I'm still looking for that brave person to try and setup their IP modem and play BO4/MW and see if there is any tangible difference?  This would help answer the question if there is a difference. And why, from their prospective their friends don't have such a router and yet game so well.

Personally, I already know that my modem doesn't improve game play by itself.  However, I've read a few posts from some who are adamant about this.  From what I've gathered it appears to be a server issue on Activision end.  From what I've read it's the belief that the servers used are antiquated/over saturated and are in dare need of upgrading.  This is why some matches are worst then others.  Now this is besides the SBMM which compounds it.  I can't say if that's true or not.  But if it is it would explain a lot. 

That would also explain why in other games like BF series, game play and hit rego is so consistent. But again, I can't confirm this to be the case. 

12 minutes ago, East said:

Well it gives priority to those packets so that you can game as intended by the developers (in laymen terms from my understanding).

I'm still looking for that brave person to try and setup their IP modem and play BO4/MW and see if there is any tangible difference?  This would help answer the question if there is a difference. And why, from their prospective their friends don't have such a router and yet game so well.

Personally, I already know that my modem doesn't improve game play by itself.  However, I've read a few posts from some who are adamant about this.  From what I've gathered it appears to be a server issue on Activision end.  From what I've read it's the belief that the servers used are antiquated/over saturated and are in dare need of upgrading.  This is why some matches are worst then others.  Now this is besides the SBMM which compounds it.  I can't say if that's true or not.  But if it is it would explain a lot. 

That would also explain why in other games like BF series, game play and hit rego is so consistent. But again, I can't confirm this to be the case. 

What's an IP modem? How do I set this up? I leave alone so I can experiment this setup, cheers.

53 minutes ago, Seye said:

What's an IP modem? How do I set this up? I leave alone so I can experiment this setup, cheers.

Oh, I was referring to the mode given to you by your internet provider.  Which I assume is usually the case

On 12/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, wizrdburialgrnd said:

Thanks Zippy.  I'm also on X1X and in personal testing IPv6 significantly helps download speeds, so if it's not negatively impacting any Traffic Priority rulesets or in-game performance then I'll opt to leave it enabled.

For share excess I have enough bandwidth to spare so disabling for download allocation doesn't seem to serve a purpose for me.  For upload speeds disabling Share Excess is almost required for me, as I've got so little up speed to dole out.

Here's where I'm at with this experiment:

Platform: X1X

Bandwidth: 350/10

Problem: 4 out of 5 matches on average are shoot-first/die-first experiences, or perceived one-frame death experiences.  That one out of five that works gives me hope that there's a solution here.  I'm not chasing god lobbies, just trying to balance my communication with the servers and have a chance to react in game.

Geo Filter: enabled - "home in ocean", ping assist: 25ms (this just helps me eliminate p2p connections with low tickrates and high pings, which are seemingly rampant around me)

DMZ/Port Forwarding/Triggering: None

IPv6: Enabled

DNS: Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 (personal testing, this was best for my dl speeds)

Anti-Bufferbloat: 100% set to Never

Bandwidth Allocation: 100 down / 2.5 up (spending a lot of time testing here still)

Share Excess: download: enabled, upload: disabled

DumaOS Classified Games: disabled

Traffic Prioritization: option 1 from OP*, UDP only  (i haven't tested a ton here, to be fair, but the "both" option in my initial experience was not as stable as UDP only)

Current Evaluation: mixed bag. I haven't had any miracle matches, where I feel like I'm ahead of the lobby, but i don't feel as behind either. The connection seems more consistent than it was prior.  The shoot-first/die-first matches seem less frequent, but are still there. That said, this is already noticeably better than my vanilla settings. The overall "feel" is improved, which is ultimately all I'm trying to solve for.

As I enjoy tinkering, I'll be plugging away and tweaking settings in the coming days as well.  Love this community and thanks for the insights and advice everyone!

*Source 3074-3075  -> Destination 3100-3500

Source 3100 - 3500 -> Destination 3074 - 3075 

Source 3074-3075 -> Destination 30000-45000

Source 30000-45000 -> Destination 3074-3075

Trying this setup right now (upgraded to DumaOS) and defo not working out for me on Black Ops 4. Still taking too many shots to kill and shoot first die first just as much as what I was trying before :(

11 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

Trying this setup right now (upgraded to DumaOS) and defo not working out for me on Black Ops 4. Still taking too many shots to kill and shoot first die first just as much as what I was trying before :(

You know, over the last 24 hours I've been grinding MW tinkering with these settings and here's where I landed:

That setup was "better" but not great.  The best settings for me ended up having these changes:

Anti-Bufferbloat: set to Always (I can't explain why but it's made a noticeable diffference)

Bandwidth Allocation: download: 0.5, upload 0.5

All the rest of the settings were the same.  With this setup I had some of the best games I've had with MW. I'm not a great player, but I lead a few lobbies, had my first 50+ kill game of dom, and can confidently say that 9 out of 10 games felt really good.  I wanted to try this over several sessions to see if it was consistent, and it has been.  I'm really happy about this, as it also doesn't cripple the bandwidth going to other devices in my home.

Now the only problem is... I think I hate this game.  Going back to Blops 4 today.

EDIT: also adjusted sliders in AB to 90% down, 95% up

to play black ops 4 I set Bandwidth allocation to 1.1 doen and up, I did not try 0.5 but at 1.1 I got good game play, not god mode.  Honnest game play if i shoot first, he die but if i missed, I die... tonight ILL try to 0.5 !

I'm about to give up on Black Ops 4 now. Nothing I try makes any difference. I get 1 outta maybe 8 matches where everything works as it should but even then it takes double the amount of shots to kill someone than it should.

57 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I'm about to give up on Black Ops 4 now. Nothing I try makes any difference. I get 1 outta maybe 8 matches where everything works as it should but even then it takes double the amount of shots to kill someone than it should.

I feel for you dude.  These games are frustrating.

At the end of the day, there seem to be 4 things helping my connection: 

• Traffic Prioritization (prioritize those packets)
  • geo filtering with ping assist at 25ms (prioritize that ping)
  • hardcoding the up/down speeds for the xbox at 0.5mbps (prioritize that bandwidth greed)
  • disabling Share Excess for upload (ensure that bandwidth greed)

Every time I make significant changes to the settings I reboot the router, too.

Best of luck everyone!

FWIW: i chose 0.5 for d/u speeds because when observing the network monitor, in-game never gets above that and usually floats between 0.2 and 0.3.  Might be worth seeing what your game is reporting for in-game download/upload speeds and tweaking the value accordingly

18 minutes ago, wizrdburialgrnd said:

I feel for you dude.  These games are frustrating.

At the end of the day, there seem to be 4 things helping my connection: 

• Traffic Prioritization (prioritize those packets)
  • geo filtering with ping assist at 25ms (prioritize that ping)
  • hardcoding the up/down speeds for the xbox at 0.5mbps (prioritize that bandwidth greed)
  • disabling Share Excess for upload (ensure that bandwidth greed)

Every time I make significant changes to the settings I reboot the router, too.

Best of luck everyone!

FWIW: i chose 0.5 for d/u speeds because when observing the network monitor, in-game never gets above that and usually floats between 0.2 and 0.3.  Might be worth seeing what your game is reporting for in-game download/upload speeds and tweaking the value accordingly

Even if I tried those last two things... would never be able to stream again.

3 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

What works for Wizrdburiagrnd might not for you, granted this games especially cod is broken, you have to experiment and run test continuously until you find your sweet spot and improve on that

2 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

I would advise you to work more on your geo filter and QoS 

30 minutes ago, Seye said:

What works for Wizrdburiagrnd might not for you, granted this games especially cod is broken, you have to experiment and run test continuously until you find your sweet spot and improve on that

I know this. I've been playing CoD with my R1 for 4 years now. There is no 'sweet spot' for me. Doesn't matter where I put my sliders, what ports I prioritise, what ports I forward. Nothing makes any difference. Everything was working fine, as I've said many times until they updated the game. Ever since that update, nothing makes any difference.

Again, as I've said many times now, I've been speaking to many many YT'bers and Twitch folk who are having the same problem and only since that update. Hence... its the game and nothing I do will change that.

I had my 'sweet spot' before that bloody update. Was working for months. Now nothing works. Frankly the game plays better on ISP wifi for some reason.

20 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I know this. I've been playing CoD with my R1 for 4 years now. There is no 'sweet spot' for me. Doesn't matter where I put my sliders, what ports I prioritise, what ports I forward. Nothing makes any difference. Everything was working fine, as I've said many times until they updated the game. Ever since that update, nothing makes any difference.

Again, as I've said many times now, I've been speaking to many many YT'bers and Twitch folk who are having the same problem and only since that update. Hence... its the game and nothing I do will change that.

I had my 'sweet spot' before that bloody update. Was working for months. Now nothing works. Frankly the game plays better on ISP wifi for some reason.

Did you restart both netduma, internet router and your PS4 after the changes give 2-3 minutes before loading PS4?

Also try this out your location middle of the ocean and ping assist to 30, see how that goes play for 24hrs give me feedback

2 hours ago, Seye said:

Did you restart both netduma, internet router and your PS4 after the changes give 2-3 minutes before loading PS4?

Also try this out your location middle of the ocean and ping assist to 30, see how that goes play for 24hrs give me feedback

Pro Tip:

Whenever a game gets multiple updates it's best to do a uninstall and reinstall when you notice problems.  This goes for any game. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

As for N3CR0  issue it's hard to diagnose a solution until we see some actual game play from him to visually see what exactly is going on. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

From what I've been told part of sbmm is to de-register hit rego on certain players who are struggling (bullets shoot through a certain player).  However, you would have to be completely dominating and have a high k/d.  I just found about about this tonight.  So I can't say how true that is. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some info on how strong SBMM is in this game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/e6ybmj/the_design_proof_of_sbmm_and_how_its_even_worse/

On 12/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, Bert said:

I have found the port ranges also change with your setup.

Basicly

OPEN NAT = SRC 3074

Moderate NAT = SRC 62000-65535 anywhere in there

Also it might be coincidence but I was playing on my alt account with crossplay on, and it seems like the PC players were unkillable. So I turned that off as well.

I checked my up in game it said it was using port 8731 on moderate