ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of DumaOS: Version 3.0

Netduma Luke

• Netduma Luke changed the title to ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of DumaOS
  • Netduma Luke pinned and featured this topic
  • Administrators
30 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Looks pretty awesome! What’s it look like for the Netgear XR500 or will Netgear not be following suite with DumaOS 3.0?

It would look the same, assuming they want all the features I imagine this would hit the XR500 as well but can't promise anything at this early stage.

Will the power / hardware of the R1 be maxed out & at its limits with all these updates? I only ask because I’ve seen concerns in the past with the current DumaOS & R1, possibly taxing it too much. Any talk of upgrading the hardware/router itself?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Will the power / hardware of the R1 be maxed out & at its limits with all these updates? I only ask because I’ve seen concerns in the past with the current DumaOS & R1, possibly taxing it too much. Any talk of upgrading the hardware/router itself?

Thanks!

If it will run, we'll put it on the R1. We're not going to arbitrarily hold back any features, the only reason we'd do that is if it literally wouldn't run.

Guest Killhippie

Will patching continues on Milestone 1.3 issues on DumaOS or is  any further development now for Netgears firmware side only? I assume you and Netgear have some agreement over patching issues and if DumaOS 3.0 will make it to current hardware (I know NDA's are all over the place these days) but some words of support to Netgear XR users would go down well as Milestone 1.3 issues are still ongoing. DumaOS 3.0 looks good though from the glimpse above. Really liking the Data history.

2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Will patching continues on Milestone 1.3 issues on DumaOS or is  any further development now for Netgears firmware side only? I assume you and Netgear have some agreement over patching issues and if DumaOS 3.0 will make it to current hardware (I know NDA's are all over the place these days) but some words of support to Netgear XR users would go down well as Milestone 1.3 issues are still ongoing. DumaOS 3.0 looks good though from the glimpse above. Really liking the Data history.

Bugs to do with Netgear's firmware are still being worked on from Netgear's side. That shouldn't be affected by the development on DumaOS 3.0, however all of our efforts at Netduma are currently on getting this version ready to ship.

1 minute ago, Netduma Alex said:

Bugs to do with Netgear's firmware are still being worked on from Netgear's side. That shouldn't be affected by the development on DumaOS 3.0, however all of our efforts at Netduma are currently on getting this version ready to ship.

Will this new software be ok to load onto the original R1?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tripper said:

So will we get to beta test it if we are in DumaOS insider?

We haven't decided on beta tests at the moment, our focus is on getting it ready and once that happens we'll let everyone know but it may be the case that we release it like the previous milestones.

45 minutes ago, Alex49H said:

Will the software be available for the XR700?

Assuming they want all the features I imagine this would hit the XR700 as well but can't promise anything at this early stage.

Hey Fraser, would it be a safe bet to say if there was going to be any beta testing that Netgear would be in charge of who they would allow to beta test on there routers? In other words you guys wouldn't have much of a say in this because this is there router?  Meaning any of the XR series that is.. Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser, would it be a safe bet to say if there was going to be any beta testing that Netgear would be in charge of who they would allow to beta test on there routers? In other words you guys wouldn't have much of a say in this because this is there router?  Meaning any of the XR series that is.. Thanks!

Zippy.

Yes that's right but we do have some say in this as well as we know the software and our users so well. If there was a beta for the R1 we'd of course control this entirely.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's right but we do have some say in this as well as we know the software and our users so well. If there was a beta for the R1 we'd of course control this entirely.

Okay Fraser that makes sense! Thanks my friend! :) 

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Thanks Alex, unfortunately that’s what I kind of feared. Basically bugs that came out in milestone 1.3 in what is rapidly going to become a year soon aren’t going to get patched in other words. Anything DumaOS related will be left until version 3.0. Also no one has a real clue how much Netgear will be interested in any of these new features. Also Current bugs with VLAN tagging, QoS getting slow, port mapping in table view and antibufferbloat  getting stuck on and and the leaky hybrid VPN won’t be fixed until this new version is ready and that probably won’t be this year and once again may not come to the XR routers. Is that a fair assumption of the current situation?

I appreciate you coming up with a new operating system and it takes great effort to create one, but I am a little taken aback by the lack of patching in milestone 1.3 considering it’s almost a year old and virtually nothing has been done to fix the issues with it on the XR routers, as I can’t speak for the R1. I really wish you had focused on bug fixing Milestone 1.3 first before creating yet another new OS rather than leaving things unfixed and with an air of uncertainty as to whether they ever will be patched , because this all rides on Netgear. I think this could be a problem possibly especially since obviously you can’t promise how long this will take, and I have noted the words ‘early days’ which doesn’t bode well for further fixes in the pipeline for DumaOS as it stands on current Netgear hardware with your firmware. So we could be waiting possibly until next year with no fixes at all on the DumaOs side at all. Also a lot depends on Netgear wanting the new version as well, is that correct?  I’m not trying to be negative, I’m just trying to understand where Netgear users stand. 

I hope you understand my concerns, router stability is created hopefully by fixing issues in current firmware no matter how welcome new features are. However the continued lack of support for patching  your own firmware on Netgear hardware I find to be a bit odd. Personally I would need fixes and stability not long  gaps where nothing is happening visibly for DumaOS software thats on existing XR routers, because you are busy creating another new version.Fixing the issues first before moving on seems the more logical approach but that’s just from my point of view.  Are you going to focus on patching rather than creating new versions of DumaOS, because all new operating systems inevitably are buggy. So Will you patch 3.0 or move onto the next version? I hope you can see my concerns. Good luck with version 3.0 nevertheless. :)

Can't wait to try out the Data history! I think It would be cool to see in depth of what happening with my bandwidth on the network. I have a lot of devices on my network, This could really help out with prioritizing the data I want and eliminating devices that is using unnecessary bandwidth. I wonder what the other features will be...

9 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Thanks Alex, unfortunately that’s what I kind of feared. Basically bugs that came out in milestone 1.3 in what is rapidly going to become a year soon aren’t going to get patched in other words. Anything DumaOS related will be left until version 3.0. Also no one has a real clue how much Netgear will be interested in any of these new features. Also Current bugs with VLAN tagging, QoS getting slow, port mapping in table view and antibufferbloat  getting stuck on and and the leaky hybrid VPN won’t be fixed until this new version is ready and that probably won’t be this year and once again may not come to the XR routers. Is that a fair assumption of the current situation?

I appreciate you coming up with a new operating system and it takes great effort to create one, but I am a little taken aback by the lack of patching in milestone 1.3 considering it’s almost a year old and virtually nothing has been done to fix the issues with it on the XR routers, as I can’t speak for the R1. I really wish you had focused on bug fixing Milestone 1.3 first before creating yet another new OS rather than leaving things unfixed and with an air of uncertainty as to whether they ever will be patched , because this all rides on Netgear. I think this could be a problem possibly especially since obviously you can’t promise how long this will take, and I have noted the words ‘early days’ which doesn’t bode well for further fixes in the pipeline for DumaOS as it stands on current Netgear hardware with your firmware. So we could be waiting possibly until next year with no fixes at all on the DumaOs side at all. Also a lot depends on Netgear wanting the new version as well, is that correct?  I’m not trying to be negative, I’m just trying to understand where Netgear users stand. 

I hope you understand my concerns, router stability is created hopefully by fixing issues in current firmware no matter how welcome new features are. However the continued lack of support for patching  your own firmware on Netgear hardware I find to be a bit odd. Personally I would need fixes and stability not long  gaps where nothing is happening visibly for DumaOS software thats on existing XR routers, because you are busy creating another new version.Fixing the issues first before moving on seems the more logical approach but that’s just from my point of view.  Are you going to focus on patching rather than creating new versions of DumaOS, because all new operating systems inevitably are buggy. So Will you patch 3.0 or move onto the next version? I hope you can see my concerns. Good luck with version 3.0 nevertheless. :)

I understand your concerns, but from our point of view, many of the bugs that currently exist will cease to be a concern because we're reshaping fundamental elements of the OS. Many of the bugs will end up being fixed simply because of the refinements we're making.

But yeah, in an ideal world we'd have one team working on bugs, and another team working on features. We're expanding our team rapidly so hopefully this can be a reality soon. I'm sorry that you'll have to hold on a few more months for the next update...

Guest Killhippie
22 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I'm sorry that you'll have to hold on a few more months for the next update...

Sadly that's something I may not be able to do any more. With no guarantees as to updates for releases in the future, let alone no DumaOS updates for months to come and no promise of XR compatibility (because of company NDA's)  let alone no guarantees this wont happen again, its time to find another router as my daily driver instead of the XR500 I think. Just imagine if Microsoft/Apple/Google etc released a new operating system then left it for over a year with no updates for bugs until the next version and then no guarantees your hardware would get it. Its almost back to front in my view. Companies patch so that if there is no new OS for your hardware you have the best version you can have on the hardware you own and to just fix bugs too as a matter of course. The whole create a new version of DumaOS instead of patching the old one will always be my sticking point. :(