ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of DumaOS: Version 3.0

Netduma Luke

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, lucket said:

Is it possible to try a Early Release on a XR500 router ?

We're not providing any early access releases at the moment. If we were to do so we'd do it on our router the Netduma R1 first as it would be a lot quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see that its going forward, are anti jitter and anti spike still a thing?

Also is my DumaOS version still up to date? The other topic got locked and i didnt get an update email, firmware says " R1 2.1.3.29" :).

On 11/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Zippy said:

I think Alex's response should have cleared that up for you!  So imo that means the R1 should get the new features first before any of the XR series Netgear routers see them.. Because even when Netduma is done testing this in there own in house its handed off to Netgear. Then they do there own in house testing. And that can take sometime. Specially if they run into issues.. Honestly if you have an R1 I feel your sitting better off then anyone with any XR Netgear router. Not to mention your in away better spot from just a customer service stand point.. You don't have to run between Netduma and Netgear.. 👍

Zippy.

The question isn't whether the R1 devices will get the firmware before Netgear devices.  Logistically speaking, that's likely going to happen.  It's how much involvement (and associated delay) will Netgear have BEFORE it's considered ready for release on just the R1?  Will Netduma release it to R1 before Netgear gets involved, or does Netgear have to fully certify it before it is even considered for release, even for the R1?  I'm betting it has to pass through Netgear first, at least to some serious degree, before the R1 community will ever see it.  

7 hours ago, fatal0Efx said:

The question isn't whether the R1 devices will get the firmware before Netgear devices.  Logistically speaking, that's likely going to happen.  It's how much involvement (and associated delay) will Netgear have BEFORE it's considered ready for release on just the R1?  Will Netduma release it to R1 before Netgear gets involved, or does Netgear have to fully certify it before it is even considered for release, even for the R1?  I'm betting it has to pass through Netgear first, at least to some serious degree, before the R1 community will ever see it.  

To be honest i'm not 100% sure how the rollout is going to work at this point. We're in somewhat new territory here. We've yet to decide on the exact timing of the rollout. We'll have more information on this as development of DumaOS 3.0 nears completion.

All I can say is we'll be looking to get it to all DumaOS devices in a timely fashion. We don't want any of our users to feel left out. Still, a staged rollout could allow us to detect issues before they become too widespread.

With the new DumaOS 3.0 coming next year will it give the correct full speeds and not use 100% of the CPU on the R1 when using PPPoE? only asking because i'm getting full fiber from BT installed next month with will give me around 250 down and 45 up.   

• Administrators

PPPoE isn't fully working with QoS at the moment so we will do work with this which should hopefully resolve the issues you've mentioned, however PPPoE has always been a limiting factor on the speed even with the original firmware so I wouldn't expect it to fix that.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

PPPoE isn't fully working with QoS at the moment so we will do work with this which should hopefully resolve the issues you've mentioned, however PPPoE has always been a limiting factor on the speed even with the original firmware so I wouldn't expect it to fix that.

So that said, would it be easier to use the BT modem/router instead of using 3rd party one and putting the cred's in the R1 to achieve full speeds?

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

So that said, would it be easier to use the BT modem/router instead of using 3rd party one and putting the cred's in the R1 to achieve full speeds?

If you use PPPoE creds in the R1 it won't get full speed so I wouldn't recommend it. If you use another router to handle the PPPoE creds then the R1 should perform fine. It may be the case when they come to look at PPPoE more closely they're able to improve speeds with it but I want to manage expectations on that front.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you use PPPoE creds in the R1 it won't get full speed so I wouldn't recommend it. If you use another router to handle the PPPoE creds then the R1 should perform fine. 

I wouldn't bank on that.  I've recently discovered that the QoS feature alone prevents my R1 from getting my full 200 mbps down due to the 100% cpu issue.  If I disable QoS I can get full speeds.  That's with one device plugged into the R1 and it doesn't matter what QoS values are set.  The R1 hardware simply cannot handle anything over 100 mbps well if certain features are used.  Fwiw.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, fatal0Efx said:

I wouldn't bank on that.  I've recently discovered that the QoS feature alone prevents my R1 from getting my full 200 mbps down due to the 100% cpu issue.  If I disable QoS I can get full speeds.  That's with one device plugged into the R1 and it doesn't matter what QoS values are set.  The R1 hardware simply cannot handle anything over 100 mbps well if certain features are used.  Fwiw.

I've responded to you in another topic so we can investigate further as shouldn't be the case if setup correctly.

我是中国用户,路由器玩过很多,各种固件也都试过,但最终只有dumaos让我满意,不管是界面风格,还是QOS,稳定性都十分优秀。不过让我很奇怪的一点是,在32版本就已经有的主题选择功能,却在56版本仍然无其它主题可以选择。dumaos 3.0看起来很好,非常期待,但更期待网件能早点出dumaos系统的AX路由器,现在不管是网件还是华硕,AX路由器系统都太差了。

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Lilacleafs said:

我是中国用户,路由器玩过很多,各种固件也都试过,但最终只有dumaos让我满意,不管是界面风格,还是QOS,稳定性都十分优秀。不过让我很奇怪的一点是,在32版本就已经有的主题选择功能,却在56版本仍然无其它主题可以选择。dumaos 3.0看起来很好,非常期待,但更期待网件能早点出dumaos系统的AX路由器,现在不管是网件还是华硕,AX路由器系统都太差了。

您好,欢迎来到论坛! 是的,我们尽早实现了主题的功能,因此以后添加主题会更加容易。 我想您会对DumaOS 3.0感到满意。
-
Hello, welcome to the forum! Yes we implemented the functionality for themes early so it would be easier to add themes later on. I think you will be pleased with DumaOS 3.0.

I know this was mentioned a few months ago but could you please either let us set time for devices to expire or let us delete all devices that are not online at once?

I forgot I had qos enabled and noticed EVERYTHING running so slow then I checked devices and there were approx 100 devices in list. We usually will have around 25-30. But there were alot of devices that were offline and duplicated.

It renders qos useless when you see the qos look like stars in space haha.

Just so you know my net is 1000/45 and yes it rendered it so slow that everything was buffering and speed test on download was 4Mbps.

I have disabled it for now, do deletions and reboot every two days but shouldn't have to. I'm not gonna ask when new Dumaos OS is gonna be released for XR500 because I know how last one was delayed for like 8 months or so. Not hating just being obvious.

P.S. I know you guys are doing your best at releasing an almost bug free OS but we seriously need some kind of update.

Thanks for letting all of us know the updates and stuff. 👍👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

We do have a delete all offline devices option planned, we hear your pain and plan to resolve that!

I feel like simple small quality of life features like this should be released as soon as possible and not with your long waiting waterfall releases.

9 hours ago, acoop133 said:

I feel like simple small quality of life features like this should be released as soon as possible and not with your long waiting waterfall releases.

I tend to agree. Once DumaOS 3.0 is out, we'll be able to make minor updates more easily. DumaOS 3.0 is the foundation release for new features which will enable us to update things in a more granular fashion. You'll see what I mean once it's out.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Tripper said:

So the update will come out at a random time?

You'll likely see us hyping it up and giving a few more sneak peaks prior to release but yes essentially it could happen at any point.

I have a request. In the PPPoE connection protocol, is it possible to add an option of 'Service name' along with 'username' and 'password'?

Also is it possible to add support for IKEv2 protocol for VPN along with Open VPN? 

54 minutes ago, dpk_ydv said:

I have a request. In the PPPoE connection protocol, is it possible to add an option of 'Service name' along with 'username' and 'password'?

Is this required in order for it to work with your broadband provider?

55 minutes ago, dpk_ydv said:

Also is it possible to add support for IKEv2 protocol for VPN along with Open VPN? 

Maybe. We might be able to do this in future, but it would be a major overhaul to Hybrid-VPN. It won't be in DumaOS 3.0.