XR500 Firmware version 2.3.2.56 released.

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

New Features and Enhancements:

• Support France Free and Orange ISP of the IPTV configuration.
  • Support GUI login weak password protection.

Bug Fixes:

1. Fixes security vulnerability issues.
  2. Fixes the issue that cannot detect and prioritize game traffic of Fortnite
  3. Fixes the issue that in traffic prioritization, it can't detect "league of legend" traffic and some other pc games, such as Apex Legend, Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege.
  4. Fixes the issue that the speedtest download speed result will be limited at 500Mbps

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.56.zip

For anyone updating to this firmware don't forget to back up your current configuration just incase you run into issues

you will find the back up config option under Settings - Administration - Backup Settings.

Although I still have to update my firmware looking at these patch notes im very disheartened

A lot of us where hoping for firmware milestone 1.4 or at least some major fixes for the issues we are all having

The last real firmware update was around December the 13th last year is this really what weve been waiting this long for??

So Alex what exactly are you saying??

You know Netduma don't give us their update independently of Netgear and the last real firmware update was around December the 13th last year  

So are we going to be waiting another 8 months or more for some real fixes on or not?

please yes or no?

At least show us some expanded patch notes to see if one or any of the current issues or issues we've had since release have been fixed

ok so all the Facts we have at the moment is..

No real fixes

No time frame of when they will be fixed

Another 8-9 months of hopes dashed 

ps. I sure was exited first thing this morning when i woke up to see a firmware update had been released as i have usually checked every morning since release for fixes but now Im just deflated again

ugh......

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, Mement said:

For anyone updating to this firmware don't forget to back up your current configuration just incase you run into issues

you will find the back up config option under Settings - Administration - Backup Settings.

Although I still have to update my firmware looking at these patch notes im very disheartened

A lot of us where hoping for firmware milestone 1.4 or at least some major fixes for the issues we are all having

The last real firmware update was around December the 13th last year is this really what weve been waiting this long for??

Worst thing to do is restore from a back up. New updates bring new features and other changes, like in 2.3.2.56 there is now a separate NTP time server, a new password setup, and probably a bunch low lying changes that can be incompatible with older backups from previous firmware versions. These changes can cause problems so you should always if you do have issues start fresh with a factory reset, then add everything back yourself without using a backup. Not every update is about new features but also stability and especially security. Netgear wait a while to release  security exploit details so people get updated before the exploits are on the Netgear site for all to see (and abuse)

Below is a extract from Melin's  piece on factory resets and why they should be done, I'll link to the whole article and then if you want you can read more as to why factory rests are better than using a backup, from a great firmware writer who even Asus took notice of. The instructions below and in his article apply to all routers when things go wrong.

Why do I sometime need to do a factory default reset?
In addition to those user-entered settings, there's all those system level settings I previously mentioned. Sometimes, the manufacturer will need to change some of those low-level settings, either to resolve an issue, or to adapt to a newer wireless driver that they started using.

If you fail to do a factory default reset, then your router will still have the old values, and it will keep using them. That can lead to performance issues (especially in changes related to the wireless driver), or flat out odd behaviour (if one of the settings no longer works the same way as before).

Can I just restore my saved settings after I do a factory default reset?
No. The idea behind a factory default reset is to have your router start using the NEW default values. If you restore your saved settings, you will overwrite those new values with the old ones, and you are back to square one.

This is similar to having a PC with a corrupted Windows installation. If you reformat, and immediately after you restore a Ghost/TrueImage/Clonezilla backup on top of the reformatted Windows, you are back to where you were before you did all that work.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

My comment about backing up their old working config was if they wanted to revert back to .40 due to issues with the new firmware some people have complicated setups and as such can take a lot of time to set up and get right

Nowhere did I mention to use an old config save on the new firmware

Anybody who knew and took the time to set up their router would of known what i meant it was just a reminder nothing more

I do look forward to this update to see what it does.. But I don't see anything about long going issue fixes. Is this normal or have fixes been made and just not fully released by Netgear on what actually has been fixed? Is anyone else starting to feel dizzy here? 😵

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
31 minutes ago, Mement said:

My comment about backing up their old working config was if they wanted to revert back to .40 due to issues with the new firmware some people have complicated setups and as such can take a lot of time to set up and get right

Nowhere did I mention to use an old config save on the new firmware

Anybody who knew and took the time to set up their router would of known what i meant it was just a reminder nothing more

Not assuming people will do anything that's straightforward or logical has served me well over the years. ;) Its always best to explain it in black and white for all users, not just the more tech savvy ones, after all even they can make mistakes too.  Patience is a real virtue when it comes to any technology I find. :) 

Guest Killhippie
25 minutes ago, Zippy said:

I do look forward to this update to see what it does.. But I don't see anything about long going issue fixes. Is this normal or have fixes been made and just not fully released by Netgear on what actually has been fixed? Is anyone else starting to feel dizzy here? 😵

Zippy.

Its a stabilty and security update really. There are a few tweaks, that are apparent, maybe some fixes to issues under the hood that are not in the release notes, but this is more of a Netgear update as has been said. Hopefully laying a more solid foundation for Netduma to do their thing with milestone 1.4.

Netgear seem to have taken ages updating a whole host of their routers recently, no idea why though. Maybe there is something going on we are not privy to, but there is no point in dwelling on something we will probably never know the answers to. :)

42 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Don't assume people will do anything that's straightforward or logical has served me well over time. ;) Its always best to explain it in black and white for all users, not just the more tech savvy ones, after all even even they can make mistakes too.  Patience is a real virtue when it comes to any technology I find. :) 

A lot of people in general normally don't like to take the straight forward approach and there is nothing wrong with that and sometimes its the best way to learn, that is why we have answers to a lot of common problems today because sometimes only through failure we find answers we wouldn't have found otherwise but rather than being over technical my simple comment today about backing up the config was for the straight forward folk who may not have had their first coffee of the day yet and may have needed to revert back for whatever reason

6 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Wkrótce pojawi się kamień milowy 1.4. Jest to aktualizacja NETGEAR, a nie aktualizacja Netduma.

and could you explain it to me because I don't understand these updates anymore, why is this netgar update, and how is it different from the nedtuma update

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, raf1212 said:

and could you explain it to me because I don't understand these updates anymore, why is this netgar update, and how is it different from the nedtuma update

It’s a netgear router that runs DumaOS as well, netgear update the router as it’s their hardware. It needs updates from netgear  to patch security holes and to update drivers which netduma can’t do with DumaOS on this router as it’s not their hardware.  Also it was a turn of phrase too, because there were things that needed fixing in the netgear side of it while netduma work on milestone 1.4 

2 hours ago, raf1212 said:

Basically what this means is this firmware is Netgear specific fixes only because Netduma have not pushed any other fixes for major issues or improvements to Netgear yet

The reality of it is we will only get them in the milestone firmware 1.4 if we are lucky and considering this netgear only firmware update has taken 8 months+ I wouldn't be expecting milestone 1.4 to come anytime soon

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, Mement said:

Basically what this means is this firmware is Netgear specific fixes only because Netduma have not pushed any other fixes for major issues or improvements to Netgear yet

The reality of it is we will only get them in the milestone firmware 1.4 if we are lucky and considering this netgear only firmware update has taken 8 months+ I wouldn't be expecting milestone 1.4 to come anytime soon

Not at all, it does say in the release notes as follows:

Fixes the issue that cannot detect and prioritize game traffic of Fortnite

Fixes the issue that in traffic prioritization, it can't detect "league of legend" traffic and some other pc games, such as Apex Legend, Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege.

These sound like DumaOS fixes to me. Also Netgear's release notes are not comprehensive, why don't you download the update and try it out, you do have a XR500 or XR based router I take it, so hows the update going for you?

Speculating when Milestone 1.4 comes out is not helpful when we know absolutely nothing about it and neither is spreading FUD for the sake of it, which just causes unnecessary unrest.

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Not at all, it does say in the release notes as follows:

Fixes the issue that cannot detect and prioritize game traffic of Fortnite

Fixes the issue that in traffic prioritization, it can't detect "league of legend" traffic and some other pc games, such as Apex Legend, Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege.

These sound like DumaOS fixes to me. Also Netgear's release notes are not comprehensive, why don't you download the update and try it out, you do have a XR500 or XR based router I take it, so hows the update going for you?

Speculating when Milestone 1.4 comes out is not helpful when we know absolutely nothing about it and neither is spreading FUD for the sake of it, which just causes unnecessary unrest.

Ok so you got me there, so they mention they have fixed some game prioritisation issues but what good is that with the basic flaw that you cant prioritise locale connections through the geofilter due to the cloud being fudged it kind of defeats the point 

Also im not speculating im stating the obvious

We are only going to get any really major fixes in milestone 1.4 if were lucky, Netduma are either still working on milestone 1.4 or its either going through the testing process, see alex's comment above, either way why would they split their workload at this point we will not get anymore fixes between now and the 1.4 release and that is a fact and then and only then we have to wait for Netgear to push it out like i said don't expect it anytime soon.

Now your last comment directed at me about spreading fud causing unnecessary rest is rather uncalled for

I don't pretend to be something Im not, I say what I see and I am free to have my opinion and so is everyone else

What really is creating the unrest is having to listen to all the Bull**** and Promises about fixes coming when they don't materialise then having to wait another another 8 months plus only to be told the same thing

I ain't getting any younger neither is anyone else

We want what we paid for.

I finally hooked my XR500 backup last night. Its been collecting dust for the last 5 months plus. As usual it wouldn't connect to my modem. After doing a couple hard rests it finally took. I was able to update the firmware. During the setup process it couldn't detect my upload speed. So I manually entered it in. Once the router was up and running with the new firmware I did another factory hard reset. Router responded normal and this time it did detect my upload speed. I cleared all browser cache before and after my install.

It is a must after updating ones firmware to do a factory hard reset after the installation.. There has been some base line changes so in order to get the router to use the new changes a factory reset is needed.

As far as the game traffic prioritization is concerned as some have mentioned here. I do believe that also may have been a fix on netgears side. Netduma I don't think has anything to do with that in this current release. But even if they did the thing about prioritizing gaming traffic should really be up to the user and have us manually enter the ports that need prioritizing. I would not rely on Netduma classified games as an option. That is very outdated in itself already and doesn't include a lot of new ports that are currently being used. When I manually entered key ports that I know are critical ports sometimes it wouldn't detect that as high priority traffic. That was a flaw then. I haven't tested that with the current firmware but will.. Something im not sure if Netduma is aware of but MS totally changed up there UDP port range at the data center level. We are no longer working with just six possible key UDP ports but forty now..

While this update is very small and seems meaningless I do believe this is to get a more stable foundation before the new milestone update. I will test this XR500 over the next few days and see what takes place. I currently am not using the buffer bloat option or the geo filter. I may experiment with the buffer bloat feature (sliders) but that will be about it. I will not use the Geo Filter for the simple fact that it doesn't work and is more work then what its worth. More times it has caused poor game performance then good. If I run into issues I have my ASUS ROG on standby. That router is slowly becoming a solid performer. The XR500 really is a beta testing router for the Netgear/DumaOS platform.  Hopefully over time fixes will roll out in a much more timely fashion. Milestones I don't expect to but fixes need to be pushed more. Specially if there are issues that need attention. I will post more on how this router behaves over the next few days. If something is going to happen it likely will be soon. 

Zippy.

Almost a year and hardly anything has been fixed. That's a shame.

Tested this "new" firmware for a day... so far:

Device Manager is still broken.  After some time devices still shift from Online to Offline (but remain online) or vice versa.  Happens to devices connected through a wireless AP (EX8000).  If device connects directly to the XR500 wireless and then shifts at some point to an AP wireless this occurs.  Also happens to devices connected through a switch but takes longer to start happening.

QOS is still broken.  Turned it back to off state -- after a while it still starts closing active connections it does not Mark properly. Especially for VPN (like Dell SonicWALL or Cisco AnyConnect) and probably many more iot devices, etc. and the XBOX :)

UPNP list now empty. At least it had some information in prior version.

System Information window still shows V2.3.2.40 as the current firmware version.  No update available when checking in Settings, so it's on .56 - such a quick job..all this time and that isn't even updated?

Installed R-Apps window still lists Hybrid VPN R-app size as 0.0 undefinedB

dhcp.leases still showed some 1970 expiring leases, but after re-request of IP they repaired themselves (I believe this may be the only thing that was fixed that I reported)

IMO don't have high hopes - nothing new on main NetDuma modules?

It may be an under the hood security update, or just a bluff to calm the angry masses -- or possibly just the existing hotfix firmware re-branded since the firmware version didn't even update - but all the problems everyone is/was having will still occur.  That's for sure.

I only read the first few pages of posts and bugs people are complaining about I reported right after .40 dropped ages ago.  Still being addressed as 'first time seen' bugs.

Losing hope guys. I still want to believe but having trouble, please let us know when all bugs will be addressed and fixed?

Something new:

Admin interface is now refusing the load properly "took too much time" message.  Some Dashboard windows spin and spin, and Device Manager sub-section will not load. Spins and Spins "This operation took longer than expected.  Please briefly wait before using this R-app." 

Never saw this in .40 and it was working fine for at least 22 hours.

admin interface seems to have slowed to a crawl.  I guess it's been tested well.

56 minutes ago, xr500user said:

Something new:

Admin interface is now refusing the load properly "took too much time" message.  Some Dashboard windows spin and spin, and Device Manager sub-section will not load. Spins and Spins "This operation took longer than expected.  Please briefly wait before using this R-app." 

Never saw this in .40 and it was working fine for at least 22 hours.

admin interface seems to have slowed to a crawl.  I guess it's been tested well.

Well, I fixed it.  I refuse to reboot the router.

wlan stainfo process was the culprit -- it was jumping between 46-50+% of cpu and cpu meters were spiked at 100%, causing the admin interface to lockup on Qos, Device Manager, and Network Monitor.

794 root     R        268   313 46.8  0.0 wlan

There were two wlan stainfo processes running, I killed offending 794 process and all went back to normal.  Firmware is now showing .56 - admin interface quick again. It was a young process (low #) so it started during initial boot 24 hours ago..

It's possible the admin interface slow down started after a faulty dhcp request: /bin/sh -c /dumaos/apps/system/com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager/dhcp-event.lua DHCP-REQUEST 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX' 'android-dhcp-9'  that hung for quite a while.  Unless it started right before the request - not sure.

I caught the mac address and IP of the requestor, but it disappeared from the network. Will start running traces to figure out who/what it was.  Not 100% sure it wasn't an intruder at this point.  Very strange firmware version was reporting .40 and then right after my post it's now .56 - weird coincidence?

Also note aws script running to check in to aws servers but I thought I disabled all iot - still no where to enable privacy or NO reporting back to netgear in the interface for regular users.  Can we have an option to disable all ET phone homes?

7 minutes ago, xr500user said:

Well, I fixed it.  I refuse to reboot the router.

wlan stainfo process was the culprit -- it was jumping between 46-50+% of cpu and cpu meters were spiked at 100%, causing the admin interface to lockup on Qos, Device Manager, and Network Monitor.

794 root     R        268   313 46.8  0.0 wlan

There were two wlan stainfo processes running, I killed offending 794 process and all went back to normal.  Firmware is now showing .56 - admin interface quick again. It was a young process (low #) so it started during initial boot 24 hours ago..

It's possible the admin interface slow down started after a faulty dhcp request: /bin/sh -c /dumaos/apps/system/com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager/dhcp-event.lua DHCP-REQUEST 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX' 'android-dhcp-9'  that hung for quite a while.  Unless it started right before the request - not sure.

I caught the mac address and IP of the requestor, but it disappeared from the network. Will start running traces to figure out who/what it was.  Not 100% sure it wasn't an intruder at this point.  Very strange firmware version was reporting .40 and then right after my post it's now .56 - weird coincidence?

Also note aws script running to check in to aws servers but I thought I disabled all iot - still no where to enable privacy or NO reporting back to netgear in the interface for regular users.  Can we have an option to disable all ET phone homes?

I was wondering when you were going to post.. I do have a question for you though. After you did the firmware update did you do a full factory reset to the router? Im confused whether you did this or not.. Would just like to know..

Zippy.