XR500 Firmware version 2.3.2.56 released.

Guest Killhippie

LOL. new firmware always has me curious to see what was done .. but getting tired of messing with it TBH - wish it would just work right.

But Nope. No factory reset - I rather figure out what's wrong and fix it - it's never been reset - I had .40 up and running for 220-250+ days (forgot the #) but I made some changes to it.

Haven't really looked if anything else was updated, but the kernel was recompiled on Jul 16:  Linux XR500 3.4.103 #1 SMP Tue Jul 16 08:25:16 EDT 2019 armv7l unknown

btw, i traced the dhcp requestor .. it was a galaxy s10+ phone (authorized), i don't think it caused the wlan stainfo lockup, i think it happened prior to the dhcp request..  i've never ever seen the interface drag on the xr500 like that, but i remember reading reports of it on the xr700 -- i bet it's connected.

6 minutes ago, xr500user said:

LOL. new firmware always has me curious to see what was done .. but getting tired of messing with it TBH - wish it would just work right.

But Nope. No factory reset - I rather figure out what's wrong and fix it - it's never been reset - I had .40 up and running for 220-250+ days (forgot the #) but I made some changes to it.

Haven't really looked if anything else was updated, but the kernel was recompiled on Jul 16:  Linux XR500 3.4.103 #1 SMP Tue Jul 16 08:25:16 EDT 2019 armv7l unknown

xr500user I know your a tech savvy type guy. I totally get that. Im not telling you what to do but I would highly recommend a factory reset to your router. Im not pulling this from thin air but guys that actually write firmware's suggest to for very good reasons. I know your trying to trouble shoot things here. But really its hard to give any accurate feedback if you haven't done a factory reset after this firmware update.  This update maybe small and meaningless but its all we have to go on at this point. I do enjoy your pointing things out with this router and have seen a lot of similarities between what you have found and issues ive had. You should entertain me and do a factory reset to your router. ;) Read up on what killhippie has posted. Theres a link to what Merlin says about factory resetting a router. Its a good read and gives why one should do a factory reset. 

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Mement said:

Ok so you got me there, so they mention they have fixed some game prioritisation issues but what good is that with the basic flaw that you cant prioritise locale connections through the geofilter due to the cloud being fudged it kind of defeats the point 

Also im not speculating im stating the obvious

We are only going to get any really major fixes in milestone 1.4 if were lucky, Netduma are either still working on milestone 1.4 or its either going through the testing process, see alex's comment above, either way why would they split their workload at this point we will not get anymore fixes between now and the 1.4 release and that is a fact and then and only then we have to wait for Netgear to push it out like i said don't expect it anytime soon.

Now your last comment directed at me about spreading fud causing unnecessary rest is rather uncalled for

I don't pretend to be something Im not, I say what I see and I am free to have my opinion and so is everyone else

What really is creating the unrest is having to listen to all the Bull**** and Promises about fixes coming when they don't materialise then having to wait another another 8 months plus only to be told the same thing

I ain't getting any younger neither is anyone else

We want what we paid for.

Well since you can’t make Netgear move any faster or Netduma how do you plan to make that happen? Once again we can’t but, I stand but by statement on spreading FUD because riling more discontent over software that hasn’t even been released yet is pointless and we have no control over the process anyway. All this is is doing is causing people to get even more frustrated right after an update has dropped. (I agree 8 months is way to long though) but starting a potential  flame war that could go on for months on end will have really no point, its just getting old now.

Sometimes our thoughts should be kept to ourselves and this is coming from someone who’s been pretty vocal about how frustrating I found the huge gap between milestone 1.3 and this update and the lack of bug fixes, but I can’t change the outcome I can’t change when the milestone 1.4  will come and I can’t be bothered to get that upset about something that I will never have any control over anyway I can make my feelings known but maybe in a more constructive way with some form of discourse with Devs again considering how bug fixing is going. Now if you can develop new firmware yourself faster and with less bugs feel free to make your own fork. (I wish Voxel could be involved in this)

Yes it’s frustrating that there are bugs but at the end of the day there are always going to be issues with firmware after all there is no such thing as a perfect software. Also you’ve decided things aren’t going to be fixed at all, well that's how it comes over to me, so how about just giving the guys some breathing space and waiting for 1.4 to come out before condemning it. Now if it’s a mess then fair enough, but until we get to try it take the new fixes (what few there are) be glad you’ve got some security patches that may stop the router being compromised and see what happens next.  

This forum is just getting way to toxic and that’s no good for anybody, and getting people fired up about something neither you or I know anything about isn’t the best way forward as I see it. Your mileage may vary though.  Also how did the update go for you, how was your XR router?  You haven’t said what bugs you have found with the new firmware and sharing them would obviously be really helpful in getting those things fixed...

Guest Killhippie
On 8/17/2019 at 4:21 PM, xr500user said:

System Information window still shows V2.3.2.40 as the current firmware version.  No update available when checking in Settings, so it's on .56 - such a quick job..all this time and that isn't even updated?

Not seeing that issue or some of your others with the interface, not even in pre release testing. When I updated even before doing a factory reset it showed 2.3.2.56. Maybe worth doing a factory reset and then having a comb though the firmware,  there are good reasons to do it, see Merlins post I published a link to below. Not sure if Netgear have released the source code which they are meant to do for the GPL license. It makes sense for the kernel to have been recompiled as they should have released patches for the kernel to fix CVE-2019-11477, CVE-2019-11478 and CVE-2019-11479. Netgear do seem to be getting slacker at doing what they are actually meant to do in relation to publishing changes. <sigh>

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

16 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Well since you can’t make Netgear move any faster or Netduma how do you plan to make that happen? Once again we can’t but, I stand but by statement on spreading FUD because riling more discontent over software that hasn’t even been released yet is pointless and we have no control over the process anyway. All this is is doing is causing people to get even more frustrated right after an update has dropped. (I agree 8 months is way to long though) but starting a potential  flame war that could go on for months on end will have really no point, its just getting old now.

Sometimes our thoughts should be kept to ourselves and this is coming from someone who’s been pretty vocal about how frustrating I found the huge gap between milestone 1.3 and this update and the lack of bug fixes, but I can’t change the outcome I can’t change when the milestone 1.4  will come and I can’t be bothered to get that upset about something that I will never have any control over anyway I can make my feelings known but maybe in a more constructive way with some form of discourse with Devs again considering how bug fixing is going. Now if you can develop new firmware yourself faster and with less bugs feel free to make your own fork. (I wish Voxel could be involved in this)

Yes it’s frustrating that there are bugs but at the end of the day there are always going to be issues with firmware after all there is no such thing as a perfect software. Also you’ve decided things aren’t going to be fixed at all, well that's how it comes over to me, so how about just giving the guys some breathing space and waiting for 1.4 to come out before condemning it. Now if it’s a mess then fair enough, but until we get to try it take the new fixes (what few there are) be glad you’ve got some security patches that may stop the router being compromised and see what happens next.  

This forum is just getting way to toxic and that’s no good for anybody, and getting people fired up about something neither you or I know anything about isn’t the best way forward as I see it. Your mileage may vary though.  Also how did the update go for you, how was your XR router?  You haven’t said what bugs you have found with the new firmware and sharing them would obviously be really helpful in getting those things fixed...

Killhippie you're the one trying to pick holes in my comments in this thread I'm not sure why but on numerous occasions I'm having to explain myself to you and and I shouldn't have to.

I paid for this router with my own cash and I expected the features on it to work as advertised and since day one of my purchase, which was just after the release date  I have been sat waiting patiently for them problems to be fixed and still to this day we still have the same problems with no end in sight its absurd.

Sorry if I offended anyone in this thread/website it is not my intention Im just feeling a bit fed up of the whole thing its gone on far to long

• Administrators
On 8/16/2019 at 11:39 PM, Mement said:

Basically what this means is this firmware is Netgear specific fixes only because Netduma have not pushed any other fixes for major issues or improvements to Netgear yet

The reality of it is we will only get them in the milestone firmware 1.4 if we are lucky and considering this netgear only firmware update has taken 8 months+ I wouldn't be expecting milestone 1.4 to come anytime soon

As Alex said - we will get a blog/announcement this week filling you guys on what we have been working on and the direction of DumaOS over the oncoming months. We've got a LOT of stuff coming soon.

Also, for what it's worth, we do read all your comments and really take into account how we can make the best software possible. New features / bug fixes / usability improvements - we're working on them and you will see a major jump forward on these over the coming months.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, Mement said:

Killhippie you're the one trying to pick holes in my comments in this thread I'm not sure why but on numerous occasions I'm having to explain myself to you and and I shouldn't have to.

I paid for this router with my own cash and I expected the features on it to work as advertised and since day one of my purchase, which was just after the release date  I have been sat waiting patiently for them problems to be fixed and still to this day we still have the same problems with no end in sight its absurd.

Sorry if I offended anyone in this thread/website it is not my intention Im just feeling a bit fed up of the whole thing its gone on far to long

I get that. I had the router from day one too. In fact I beta tested it. I meant no offence it’s just recently the forums have got a bit toxic.  I think if we all want to get things fixed we need not to be quite so angry even though I know that’s  easier said than done sometimes. The devs should really listen to what the users are saying because after eight months we’ve had a security update and a few game fixes, which is a good thing because security updates are as important because no one wants their router and LAN compromised by a obscure vulnerability.

At the end of the day though things really needed patching and they haven’t been and I agree with you they should have been fixed. I guess maybe we should try and find a better way of getting this across to the people who can sort this out, the developers themselves.  Instead of a Q&A about what people want as new features maybe we should have one about patching current bags? Honestly I’ve never come across a company that release a new OS point update, which I’m guessing is going to fix the bugs in the previous one, most companies patch bugs in between new versions of an operating system, and if Netduma aren’t changing the direction they’re on with releasing new milestones and not focusing on patching in between, then I might need to look at other hardware. 

This current system is a really weird way of updating as I mentioned, I don’t really care about milestone 1.4 right now I’d like as many users would to have things in milestone 1.3 patched first. None of this gives me a nice cosy feeling that things are going to get better, so maybe as I said the developers should look at how they address the bugs they currently have and also the forum needs more transparency on what is going on with known current bugs, maybe  have a bug fix area in the forum where they are listed  for the developers to work on and get patches released via Netgear. Then people can see if a bug they have found is on a 'known list maybe. I’m not saying that’s how it should be done I’m just trying to think of ways known issues could be prioritised rather than getting lost in the sea of complaints and repetition from other users who discover the same bugs as well.  

At the end of the day though If the hardware doesn’t fit our needs  or do what it’s meant to then we either wait it for a fix but after eight months I have to say I did expect more than this when I was given a pre release of the firmware update. So its Either wait and see what Netgear/Netduma say or move on. If you buy something and it doesn’t work or it’s not updated in a timely fashion, we can’t force anybody to make itfit our needs, but we vote with our wallets and can go elsewhere. I’m hoping that instead of people just being angry and negative which they they have a right to of course, the forum staff and it’s users could change things up a bit and try making it a more positive place and see if we can get the developers to set up a Q&A on a more regular basis so we can voice our concerns about the current issues that haven’t been fixed as Netduma's firmware good, it just needs fixing properly including things like basic GUI bugs, that after this length of time that should not be there along with the re-occurring bugs in the current update. It would be good to get get the feedback from the devs about getting these issues sorted out or why we might have to wait a while for them to get fixed, after all it is a two way street.

I’m just throwing ideas out to see what sticks rather than us all just getting angry, because when there’s a lot of noise on the forum no one really gets anything sorted or fixed and to be honest bugs and GUI issues actually seem to get lost more often than not that way. That’s why I think a list of known bugs that we can see in the forum and what’s happening with them may be a good idea even though no one can obviously give a date of exactly when things will be fixed, that just isn’t possible. All I do know is I don’t want milestone 1.4 to fix the bugs in milestone 1.3 and then have to wait until milestone 1.5 for the new bugs to get fixed. 

I imagine by then some of the current Netgear/DumaOS  hardware won’t be current any more, considering the hardware is already getting to be dated. (XR500 and XR700 SoS’s are 4 years old next year) I’m sure that Netgear is focusing on the new 64-bit SoC’s to be honest but once again this is just guesswork but all routers have a life span, some may keep going a bit longer but with the new Wi-Fi 6 standards ratified at the end of this year nobody really knows what’s in store for the hardware we have. All I know is I’d rather move on than get uptight because as I’ve said before, life is far too short to get stressed out by bits of plastic and metal  that we ultimately have no control over. That’s just my own take on things everyone’s else’s mileage may vary. 

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

I get that. I had the router from day one too. In fact I beta tested it. I meant no offence it’s just recently the forums have got a bit toxic.  I think if we all want to get things fixed we need not to be quite so angry even though I know that’s  easier said than done sometimes. As I said maybe the devs should really listen to what the users are saying because after eight months we’ve had a security update and a few game fixes which is a good thing  because security updates are as important as new features pretty much because no one wants their router and LAN compromised by a obscure vulnerability.

At the end of the day things really needed patching and they haven’t been and I agree with you this should have been fixed. I guess maybe we should try and find a better way of getting this across to the people who can Sort this out. The Developers themselves.  Instead of a queue and a session about what people one is new features maybe we should have one about patching current bags? Honestly I’ve never come across a company that release is a new update which I’m guessing is going to fix the bugs in the previous update, most companies patch bugs in between new versions of an operating system, and if netduma  aren’t changing the course they’re on with releasing new milestones and not focusing on patching in between, then I might need to look at other hardware. 

This current system is a really weird way of updating as I see it. I don’t really care about milestone 1.4 I’d like as you probably would to have things in milestone 1.3 patched first. None of this gives me a nice cosy feeling that things are going to get better, so maybe as I said the developers should look at how they address the bugs they currently have and the forum needs more transparency on what is going on with known current bugs, maybe  have a bug fix area in the forum where they are listed  for the developers to work on and get patches released via netgear  if they can do that  I’m not saying that’s how it should be done I’m just trying to think of ways known issues could be prioritised rather than getting lost in the sea of complaints and repetition from other users who discover the same bugs.  

At the end of the day though If the hardware doesn’t fit our needs  or do what it’s meant to  then we  either wait it out and after eight months I have to say I did expect more than this and when I got the firmware I was disappointed to say the least. Either that or move on. If you buy something and it doesn’t work or it’s not updated in a timely fashion, we can’t force anybody to make it better but we vote with our wallets and can go elsewhere. I’m hoping that instead of people just being angry and negative which they they have a right to of course, the forum staff and it’s users could change things up, try making it a more positive place and see if we can get the developers to set up a Q&A on a more regular basis so we can voice our concerns about the current issues that haven’t been fixed, including things like basic GUI bugs, that  after this length of time that should not be along with the re-occurring bugs in the current build  and the weather in time get the feedback from the devs about how close to getting these issues sorted they are  or why we might have to wait a while for them to get fixed, after all it is a two way street 

I’m just throwing ideas out to see what sticks rather than us all just getting angry, because then there’s a lot of noise and no one really gets anything sorted or fixed and to be honest bugs and GUI issues actually seem to get lost more often than not. That’s why I think a list of known bugs that we can see in the forum and what’s happening with them may be a good idea even though no one can obviously give a date of exactly when things will be fixed, that just isn’t possible. All I do know is I don’t want milestone 1.4 to fix the bugs in milestone 1.3’ and then have to wait until milestone 1.5 for the new bugs to get fixed. 

I imagine by then some of the current netgear/DumaOS  hardware won’t be current anymore, considering the hardware is already getting to be dated. (XR500 and XR700 SoS’s are heading to be 4 yeas old come 2020.) I’m sure that Netgear is focusing on the new 64-bit SoC’s to be honest but once again this is just guesswork but all routers have a life span, some may keep going a bit longer but with the new Wi-Fi 6 standards ratified at the end of this year nobody really knows what’s in store for the hardware we have.  All I know is I’d rather move on then get uptight because as I’ve said before, life is far too short to get stressed out by bits of plastic and metal  that we ultimately have no control over. That’s just my own take on things everyone’s else’s mileage may vary. 

I Hear you Buddy

On November the 14th 2018

I posted a suggestion similar about the way bugs are addressed it never saw the light of day

link https://forum.netduma.com/topic/27042-known-issues-and-workarounds-request/?tab=comments#comment-198363

On November the 23rd 2018

I also posted a posted a poll in the support section to help Netduma and ourselves understand the numbers of people having the same problems to see if there was a way we could certain things focused on

I know it wouldn't of been exact but it would have been better than nothing,

Sadly it was quickly moved from the support section to the off topic section which to me made it irrelevant so no-one really got to see or take part which was frustrating

link https://forum.netduma.com/topic/27233-duma-os-current-issues-poll/?tab=comments#comment-20022

And here we are such a long time has gone by the same problems remain I agree there must be a better way forward even if it is just walking away and binning my product but Its hard to really give up on something you want to believe in

10 hours ago, Mement said:

I don't think your offending anyone. Your just expressing the same things we all are. Even those that try to put a happy face on this are just as upset as you are. We all have been pushed past our limits. This is by no means normal. We all have been pushed and expected to wait far to long and still are getting nowhere quick. This last firmware update while is nice to see is just shy of a slap in the face. All this firmware did for me is make me wonder even more if I should bail out now. And now theres talk of the next new milestone. I could careless about new features. And for some odd reason this has not resonated enough with Netduma. Because there is no way im going to go from milestone to milestone with out fixes in between. That's crazy in itself to think people can wait that length of time for fixes.. 

Zippy.

7 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

As Alex said - we will get a blog/announcement this week filling you guys on what we have been working on and the direction of DumaOS over the oncoming months. We've got a LOT of stuff coming soon.

Also, for what it's worth, we do read all your comments and really take into account how we can make the best software possible. New features / bug fixes / usability improvements - we're working on them and you will see a major jump forward on these over the coming months.

I sure hope you guys clearly focus on in your blog/announcement of fixes that are in the current milestone. I have no idea why there has been such very little to no mention of fixes. Its not only strange but very disheartening. If you guys cant replicate some of these issues that a lot of us have reported then you need to say so. This next new milestone features are not on the top of my list. And im sure other here share the same thoughts.

Zippy.

Hi guys, 

Sry if im wrong here. 

I bought a XR500 as an upgrade form my R1 today. Was installing everything and did the download test.

When testing my up and down everything went fine 397 down (400mbit is max) 25 up (25mbit up is max). 

I then upgraded the software, since then 65mbit down is the absolute max no matter what i try.

QOS disabled full tried different tests and different browsers. 

Checked all the settings at the Fritzbox 6490cable nothing has changed... 

Any clue here? 

best regards 

Gainer 

V2.3.2.56
V2.3.2.56

28 minutes ago, Gainer said:

Speedtest and Dslreports. 

Fritzbox 398mbit. 

Did try the Xr500 at another flat 22mbit down 4,5up its working.. 

Kinda strange. 

Make sure you do a hard factory reset to the router. It is needed after this latest firmware update.

Zippy.

• Administrators
On 8/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, Gainer said:

Will do. 

And at the moment its impossible to get Nat open was no Problem at all with the R1.

WIll try the reset! 

Thanks as always. 

It's possible that because you've just purchased it that it's taking some time to sync properly with the XR500. This can take a few days and usually results in less than full speeds. If it hasn't recovered within a few days then an option would be to set the MAC address of the XR500 to the MAC address of your previous router. If that doesn't work then post back and we can help.

For NAT depending on your setup you may need to put your hub in modem mode or the IP of the XR500 into the DMZ of your hub.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Gainer said:

Will have time at the weekend to test it out again. 

There is no DMZ option in the Fritzbox Menu. 

Ill try the Mac Address and post back. 

As always, stunning service! 

Thanks 🙌🏻

You're very welcome, keep us posted!

just a little update - had some time to go back and mess with it.

little over 5 days uptime .. qos must be off for me as it effects certain net functionality in a negative way.  this is unfortunate because the only thing I like about the qos is the analytics of traffic. it just does not mark certain contracked connections properly and the os closes them prematurely. they conflict with the firewall net2loc loc2net..usually as soon as it sees traffic or within 30 seconds. when qos is not running this does not occur. i'm not running all games but i'm sure certain game connections may also get marked wrong and then get the chop from the firewall.

got upnp working.. just had to hit Apply on the empty UPNP screen and it resets the listing file (if frozen in time):

just so you can see this was the file before the apply:

-rw-r-----    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 upnp_pmlist

and after:

-rw-r-----    1 root     root            0 Aug 21 19:35 upnp_pmlist

and to prove it's working now:

log-message:454457:miniupnpd[4288]: received signal 15, good-bye  //miniupnp close
log-message:454460:miniupnpd[17447]: listening on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555 //miniupnp back up

and it is working (forced a upnp request):

log-message:454776:miniupnpd[17447]: [UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,
log-message:454776:miniupnpd[17447]: [UPnP set event: add_nat_rule] from source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,

and rule was created to ip addr as ACCEPT in iptables.

Just a note to people using upnp - ports are opened on device/app request, and will remain open until requestor asks to close.  Many requestors never ask to close their ports, so just turn off upnp, apply, turn on upnp and it will remove any open (stale) ports by poorly coded requestors.  I tested this and it works.  right after miniupnp restarted ports were no longer in iptables list (closed)   - no reboots are required

--> this file contains so much more information that can be displayed on the web interface -- name of device, service name, etc. but they choose just not to show it.  same for the wifi stats.  they have connection speeds of each device, idle times, etc.

i don't see much difference from .40 in this update, dnsmasq changes,  a couple of zombie processes from bootup still stick (detcable, check_status.sh (streamboost checker). net-scan (The attached devices demo is Running...) they are early processes during the bootup.  device manager still gets confused and sends devices offline when they still have an active ip. this does effect things as other modules rely on this information to be accurate.  i also saw a post about (STALE) fe80: failure to parse.. I also saw this error once, and I do not have ipv6 enabled.  it was just due to bad timing of disabling qos before one of the databases updated.  reactivating qos, allowing everything to settle, and clearing stuck device, then disabling qos cleared it.  if a device is shifted offline and is actually still online, an update to wan/lan qos is issued  - over time hell breaks loose so due to qos bad marking and some other flaws, devices can be brought out of qos managements awareness and override bandwidth restrictions., etc.  i keep it disabled until figure out a better way to monitor devices .. maybe in the next update :) so far stable but without all features :(

1 hour ago, xr500user said:

just a little update - had some time to go back and mess with it.

little over 5 days uptime .. qos must be off for me as it effects certain net functionality in a negative way.  this is unfortunate because the only thing I like about the qos is the analytics of traffic. it just does not mark certain contracked connections properly and the os closes them prematurely. they conflict with the firewall net2loc loc2net..usually as soon as it sees traffic or within 30 seconds. when qos is not running this does not occur. i'm not running all games but i'm sure certain game connections may also get marked wrong and then get the chop from the firewall.

got upnp working.. just had to hit Apply on the empty UPNP screen and it resets the listing file (if frozen in time):

just so you can see this was the file before the apply:

-rw-r-----    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 upnp_pmlist

and after:

-rw-r-----    1 root     root            0 Aug 21 19:35 upnp_pmlist

and to prove it's working now:

log-message:454457:miniupnpd[4288]: received signal 15, good-bye  //miniupnp close
log-message:454460:miniupnpd[17447]: listening on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5555 //miniupnp back up

and it is working (forced a upnp request):

and rule was created to ip addr as ACCEPT in iptables.

Just a note to people using upnp - ports are opened on device/app request, and will remain open until requestor asks to close.  Many requestors never ask to close their ports, so just turn off upnp, apply, turn on upnp and it will remove any open (stale) ports by poorly coded requestors.  I tested this and it works.  right after miniupnp restarted ports were no longer in iptables list (closed)   - no reboots are required

--> this file contains so much more information that can be displayed on the web interface -- name of device, service name, etc. but they choose just not to show it.  same for the wifi stats.  they have connection speeds of each device, idle times, etc.

i don't see much difference from .40 in this update, dnsmasq changes,  a couple of zombie processes from bootup still stick (detcable, check_status.sh (streamboost checker). net-scan (The attached devices demo is Running...) they are early processes during the bootup.  device manager still gets confused and sends devices offline when they still have an active ip. this does effect things as other modules rely on this information to be accurate.  i also saw a post about (STALE) fe80: failure to parse.. I also saw this error once, and I do not have ipv6 enabled.  it was just due to bad timing of disabling qos before one of the databases updated.  reactivating qos, allowing everything to settle, and clearing stuck device, then disabling qos cleared it.  if a device is shifted offline and is actually still online, an update to wan/lan qos is issued  - over time hell breaks loose so due to qos bad marking and some other flaws, devices can be brought out of qos managements awareness and override bandwidth restrictions., etc.  i keep it disabled until figure out a better way to monitor devices .. maybe in the next update :) so far stable but without all features :(

Once again the things you have posted are the same things im experiencing. QoS has to be disabled for this router to be more stable. Sad thing is why even have this router if key features like this cant even be used?? If I toggle QoS I can get things to perform decent. For a bit. Example if I jump into a game right before I actually play it then believe it or not it performs not to shabby. But it doesn't last long. If I continue to toggle it every so often it seems decent. Not perfect but better then nothing at all.. But im not going to toggle such a feature to get it to work for a bit.. Device manager does still get confused. So nothing was fixed there. And that issue is more then just a visual issue. But we were told this was just a visual issue and nothing to worry about.. Upnp is still broken and is not just a visual effect either. Another thing we were told was just a visual flaw. I will try what you have mention above to close it when im done. I don't like the fact that days later that port is still showing active when the said device has been off line for 2 days.  

Anti Bufferbloat is useless when I cant even have QoS enabled long enough to find a sweet spot for my sliders. Ive ran a ping plotter to see how well it was working. I basically start getting packet loss at the router level and it is carried over to every hop after and to destination. Would love to actually use this feature but sadly cant. If I disable all QoS my packet loss is gone. I use a variety of ways to saturate my connection. And I also use dslreports as one of them. Makes me wonder if dslreports is really to blame for the inaccurate results or this router! lol. Ive seen Netduma say that dslreports isn't accurate.. Maybe its actually Netdumas OS that isn't accurate. Whatever the case is I know this isn't the way Netdumas OS is suppose to work. Would love to test an R1 against this XR. I want to see if this is a Netgear issue or a DumaOS issue..   So basically Im pretty sure I could go to WalMart and buy the cheapest router I could find and I bet it would do circles around my XR right now. Because right now to keep this router stable I have to keep all my QoS disabled. :(

Another sad day in paradise!! :(

Zippy.

yeah, it's a good router with qos off for me - it's doing what a router does and it stays up - and routes, so I really don't think it's the kernel, but something is not working as well as it should when qos is enabled. it could very well be effecting other modules because i don't use geofilter or any of that for quite a while.

i spent a lot of time trying to track it down in .40, watching conntrack and opening connections to see what its doing - certain apps/services that open connections that get closed with qos on work just fine with the qos off.  It still tries to use the marks its made but it (NOP) them so no operation. They are ignored.   I really like the analytic of qos with the breakdowns of what the traffic is - gaming, web, social media, etc. but I can't use it :( I don't really need qos or the bandwidth shaping because my connection is fast but without it I lose that analytic functionality.

as for apps or services that are effected by this.. it works like this.. application goes out to an internet server somewhere, so a connection is marked and tracked in the kernel, source destination, etc..(nat /netfilter) so when traffic comes back  into local network its marked as allowed (firewall) and knows the proper destination (internal ip). each connection gets its own entry (there are hundreds being created all the time and closed as they are no longer needed more so the larger your network is) and each connection has a countdown timer of life 5, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, even less.. whatever.  but when qos is on some information gets lost, or incorrectly added/marked so the kernel is thinking "what is this ACK from loc2net or net2loc" and it may close it in a cleanup/housekeeping or try to close it because it thinks its a security issue like an unauthorized incoming connection from the outside world to the internal network.  some devices like business vpn cause this, maybe some games,don't know .. some of those iot devices that need to reach out to aws and have a connection come back from aws, etc. i see the connections opened, they appear marked correctly, but then its like one direction either net2loc to loc2net (loc=local network, net=internet) it does not identify one as an allowable connection and it just chops it when qos is on... causing things to not maintain an active connection (one sided, internet server no longer hears an ACK from the internal device). hard to explain .. i am no conntrack guru but i know what its doing and i can see which connection should be allowed, but no idea why it is deemed done/finished (to be closed), or security risk (chopped).. but whatever qos is doing or some other module is making the kernel just think its not a kosher connection, then click. vpn will disconnect, remote desktop over vpn will disconnect, loss of connection to outgoing server, etc. (security camera may not work, or claim its not reachable from the internet, etc)  it's a certain type of back and forth _SYN,ACK that picks up some misleading data via qos.  i get the feeling that some netgear tracking, or netgear legacy kernal code may still be running somewhere and when qos is activated it just doesn't gel well.  i'm not so sure they can replicate it, so it may never be squashed?

as for the device manager thing, not really sure if that's a netgear issue or duma issue, or maybe when they combine it comes out.  I do know then if you try to telnet to an ip that is listed on device manager that is shown as online (and it is offline) you will get a No route to host error (from the router shell), and then it will drop off the online list (ip will appear in arp table as 0x0).  some devices that are offline (if you click them) will show an ip address attached to them.. and they may be actually online (but sometimes they could be offline, but the ip is sticking in device manager) a telnet will clear the ip after a few seconds then you can delete the device (like in a situation where it says 'error: cannot delete device, because it is online'  -- but the device is NOT online) right after you get the No route to host, its clear and can be deleted from device manager. i know a reboot fixes these things, but in time they return -- besides you know i am a no reboot guy.. i've had routers up for years in some cases, and still performing like champs

maybe have some special script running on the router that sends ARPING (use --settings to limit to 1 second wait time, exit after 1 reply) to each ip .2-.254 so in 254 seconds or so device manager will clear itself (at least more then it does right now, but probably not 100%). only suggesting arping because its quick to come back if there is no response.. telnet sometimes takes 3-4 seconds before it reports No route to host. maybe there's something better to use? some custom script or small app needs to be written if bug can't be found - but its a really crappy workaround, need to figure out what is causing it. duma has many scripts running to watch devices with many different methods that run every X seconds (arpwatch, ipneigh, wlan stainfo whatever) but for some reason one of the tables isn't being updated properly - when the kernel itself actually tries to reach out to that ip then it knows No route to host. . when devices shift from the internal router wifi (ath0,1) to an AP wifi (wired AP)  (with the same name) it will move from the 2.4ghz or 5ghz  tree into the offline section (but its still online) and lan/wan qos update has been applied - sometimes it moves to the LAN/online (like it should) but then sometimes it decides to go to the offline branch (even tho its online) no rhyme or reason.  device manager also doesn't like SSID's with a '\' in them.  give that a try it willl turn it into \\\ in device manager, but netgear setup does not.  that probably has to do with their whole config get and config set database implementation, i went through all that and saw that its limited in storage length for fields, so they had to spread out a ton of device settings over many entries, ugg. i know if a dev reads this they will know what i mean. ps. netgear stores the SSID with a \ in one config setting and with \\\ in another -- its a easy fix but low priority I guess, just change which setting field its pulling  SSID name to the correct one in device manager script. probably some weird fix they did to make it show right, or a patch in the www html

unfortunately a lot of the netgear base code original creators are no longer available to comment and the firmware has been shipped off to be updated in taiwan as i understand it -- they are good but i don't think they are making any major fixes or any kind of deep down work like this -- just bandaid and move on.  it's the same base code on all of the routers it seems, theres orbi stuff on the xr, etc. i wonder if the new AX are also using it? probably. it's hard to maintain so many routers i know but they are all using some version of this base hodgepodge and tweaking it for each new hardware. i thought all the time they were taking (8) months they were really re-doing it all from the bottom up, but it wasn't the case - its late and im rambling,

hope you guys figure it out. or a workaround ..and after you do, let me know as i'm interested in what it turned out to be...

I just setup my XR450 with v56 yesterday on a 200/10 ISP and speed testing is to spec, via wired PC and NG Nighthawk app on iPhone 6sP and Android Galaxy Tab S2 pad. 

QoS set for 70% on both sliders using "When High Priority Traffic is Detected." 

Also have 2x EX7700 extenders connected. Smart Connect is enabled on the XR450. 

I did find an issue, has to do with the NH app. Device Manager reports "Sorry, the action was failed. Please try again." when selecting this on iPhone. On Android pad reports "Connected devices not found." Both iPhone and pad have up to date NH apps. I posted this in the NG Nighthawk app forum as well: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Device-Manager-in-the-NH-app-fails/td-p/1790832/jump-to/first-unread-message

So far the XR system is stable and running nicely.