MW2 Shoot First Die first? how to fix this?

ownal0t

Hi all. 

I made a separate topic on how much fibre broadband and my XR500 have helped over the last couple of weeks. 

I would separately advise you to record your gameplay and watch it back, especially when you’re having a ‘bullet sponge’ game. 

Watched back zoomed in and frame by frame, I was surprised by how much my own aim was causing those games where my bullets felt they wouldn’t land. it’s also surprising how slow my reaction time felt on some of those occasions.

You’ve got to remember that this is an activity like any other - you’ll have good days and bad days. A lack of sleep and too much caffeine (for example), and your fine motor skills are out the window and you won’t be able to aim as well as another day.  

A strong warm up routine has helped this a ton (using aimlab). 

2 hours ago, plaidtripod said:

Hi all. 

I made a separate topic on how much fibre broadband and my XR500 have helped over the last couple of weeks. 

I would separately advise you to record your gameplay and watch it back, especially when you’re having a ‘bullet sponge’ game. 

Watched back zoomed in and frame by frame, I was surprised by how much my own aim was causing those games where my bullets felt they wouldn’t land. it’s also surprising how slow my reaction time felt on some of those occasions.

You’ve got to remember that this is an activity like any other - you’ll have good days and bad days. A lack of sleep and too much caffeine (for example), and your fine motor skills are out the window and you won’t be able to aim as well as another day.  

A strong warm up routine has helped this a ton (using aimlab). 

No one wants to blame themselves for dying quickly especially if it means we missed shots or didn’t get headshots 😂…but yeah, I totally understand what you’re saying! 👍

7 hours ago, Hydros85 said:

setting a smaller mtu is enough on the console or on the router also need to be changed?

You can change the MTU down to 750 on duma router but if i lower my MTU on PS5 to 750 the game hangs on loading screen....lowest I can get it on PS5 is 1380...I'm UK location i start game and then circle the server in Milan strict and 0 ping and that normal gives me a better game than having the UK circled....Still get annihilated by sweat lobbies but that down to the horrendous SBMM set.. but one on one gun battles seem alot fairer....but still not perfect at times.

I've just changed my ISP from cable (75/10mbps) to fiber (1.5/1.5Gbps). Now tests on speedtest.net show 3ms ping.

My in-game ping also improved by about 15ms. Should it improve my gaming experience? I hoped so.

Unfortunately, not...in fact it got much worse. One on one is an instant death. I don't even see them shooting. I die by what I call look of death. I struggled like this for a week trying different settings on xr1000, PS5 without results. 

Today, I decided to force my games by geofencing to Europe. Playing 100ms + games made the difference. Now I can see the enemy and have time to react. 

This is just another example of lag compensation screwing this game.

It works by intentionally delaying information about positions of the high ping players in the lobby to low ping players.

31 minutes ago, Jackal235 said:

I've just changed my ISP from cable (75/10mbps) to fiber (1.5/1.5Gbps). Now tests on speedtest.net show 3ms ping.

My in-game ping also improved by about 15ms. Should it improve my gaming experience? I hoped so.

Unfortunately, not...in fact it got much worse. One on one is an instant death. I don't even see them shooting. I die by what I call look of death. I struggled like this for a week trying different settings on xr1000, PS5 without results. 

Today, I decided to force my games by geofencing to Europe. Playing 100ms + games made the difference. Now I can see the enemy and have time to react. 

This is just another example of lag compensation screwing this game.

It works by intentionally delaying information about positions of the high ping players in the lobby to low ping players.

Feel your pain 👍 The game hates players with wired fast connections we are at some much at a disadvantage it has nothing to do with how fast you are when your getting insta melted... it's blatantly obvious the game is putting you at a disadvantage to others playing with substandard connection and on WiFi....just so annoying we have to try and make our connections worse to get a fair game 😔....miss the original ps3 mw2 and blackops mw3 days....even ghost was pretty decent games that played well....They try to hard to cater for everyone nowadays just for game sales by tampering with game mechanics to try and give everyone the same experience....old games I used to be around 1.75k/d newer games I struggle to get over 1.0k/d every game is a roll of the dice will my gun perform or will I be put at a disadvantage 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷

Low ping advantage is clearly a thing of the past. 

Please let me share my thoughts despite my poor English. 

Imagine being in charge of COD multiplayer trying to develop a game for literally everyone. From the hardcore - old school gamer to the casual gamer. What would you put? Loud footsteps, insanely low TTK, safe places, SBMM, easy challenges, etc....What makes you thing connection quality is out of the equation? Probably nothing. If a 20ms ping gamer could dominate every lobby, the game (and the cash flow) would collapse within a few months.

I gave up, long time ago, trying to manipulate my connection. I have my XBOX plugged in my mediocre router and I play the game. Some times I do well and I have fun, some times my @ss is kicked hard. I can live with that.

48 minutes ago, Theheadski said:

Feel your pain 👍 The game hates players with wired fast connections we are at some much at a disadvantage it has nothing to do with how fast you are when your getting insta melted... it's blatantly obvious the game is putting you at a disadvantage to others playing with substandard connection and on WiFi....just so annoying we have to try and make our connections worse to get a fair game 😔....miss the original ps3 mw2 and blackops mw3 days....even ghost was pretty decent games that played well....They try to hard to cater for everyone nowadays just for game sales by tampering with game mechanics to try and give everyone the same experience....old games I used to be around 1.75k/d newer games I struggle to get over 1.0k/d every game is a roll of the dice will my gun perform or will I be put at a disadvantage 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷

I remember the PS3 MW days. Planty of hackers but lag was minimal. Today they want to sell this game to everybody, either it's 5ms guy on fiber or 100ms 10 years old on his mommy's wifi. 

I also remember (long time ago) conversation in Activision COD forums with one of their employees. He said that "you no longer will have the advantage because of your internet". When I asked why, he closed the entire thread.

What he was referring to is artificial latency balancing.

Paper from 2005:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220982447_Achieving_fairness_in_multiplayer_network_games_through_automated_latency_balancing

Basically they attempt to balance out latency server side by adding additional latency to players with fast internet. And that paper describes tech from 2005.

This is also the reason why P2P games always felt more responsive, they eliminated host advantage but didnt balance the clients.

So indeed it makes little difference playing on 20ms or 50ms ping etc. 

8 minutes ago, Jackal235 said:

I remember the PS3 MW days. Planty of hackers but lag was minimal. Today they want to sell this game to everybody, either it's 5ms guy on fiber or 100ms 10 years old on his mommy's wifi. 

I also remember (long time ago) conversation in Activision COD forums with one of their employees. He said that "you no longer will have the advantage because of your internet". When I asked why, he closed the entire thread.

The magic words we all know exist "lag compensation and SBMM" But the game developers don't seem to want to talk about them....But saying that without the clever kit like the netduma OS we would never be playing COD again...yet its not perfect but allows us to get some sort of ok game play if not perfect it's so much better 👍

6 minutes ago, Theheadski said:

The magic words we all know exist "lag compensation and SBMM" But the game developers don't seem to want to talk about them....But saying that without the clever kit like the netduma OS we would never be playing COD again...yet its not perfect but allows us to get some sort of ok game play if not perfect it's so much better 👍

SBMM is another factor screwing this game. Now the server matching priority isn't the ping but rather skills. Leaving low latency players on mercy of the lag comp.

Also, if you play with cross play enabled cheaters are roaming with no shame in almost every single game.

Disabling the cross-platform games means longer waits and more mixed pings.

Today's patch has 100% changed something. I was running a 1.6KD average on my last 10 games for the last week, but can not win a thing today.

To test whether it's skill, I ran a few aim lab tasks. Scored near my high score in all of them.

So either I've been dumped into a different category of SBMM skill today, or the hit reg has tanked.

5 hours ago, plaidtripod said:

Today's patch has 100% changed something. I was running a 1.6KD average on my last 10 games for the last week, but can not win a thing today.

To test whether it's skill, I ran a few aim lab tasks. Scored near my high score in all of them.

So either I've been dumped into a different category of SBMM skill today, or the hit reg has tanked.

Most likely SBMM if you’ve been running 1.6KD.

It's like I'm playing a different game yesterday/today. Struggling to get my head around it to be fair. Like my viewpoint is a couple frames behind everyone elses. Interestingly, I seem to have amongst the lowest ping of the match.

I have climbed from around 1.15 average to 1.2 KD within around 10 days, crushing every match (see my post around excellent results from the router), and now the game is just absolutely dicking on me between a combination of good players, and hitmarkers. Cod timing...

Exactly my experience ^. I've had games where I can burst 5 bullets into someone knowing I've got the kill but the past day or two I'm shooting 20+ bullets at range to get a kill. I'm jumping around corners pre-aming/firing knowing someone is there but they kill me instantly lol. Watching the killcam it just shows me jump in slow motion, fire a shot or 2 while they pump me with lead. Defnitely feels like I am synced to the server half a second behind everyone else. Looked up people's stats and these negative kd players seem like they're 3-4KD players in previous cods

Who knows what they're tweaking/manipulating network side. If it was the servers performing bad then it should be affecting our opponents as well but they seem to have a huge advantage atm

1 hour ago, johnnytran said:

Exactly my experience ^. I've had games where I can burst 5 bullets into someone knowing I've got the kill but the past day or two I'm shooting 20+ bullets at range to get a kill. I'm jumping around corners pre-aming/firing knowing someone is there but they kill me instantly lol. Watching the killcam it just shows me jump in slow motion, fire a shot or 2 while they pump me with lead. Defnitely feels like I am synced to the server half a second behind everyone else. Looked up people's stats and these negative kd players seem like they're 3-4KD players in previous cods

Who knows what they're tweaking/manipulating network side. If it was the servers performing bad then it should be affecting our opponents as well but they seem to have a huge advantage atm

How do you look up players stats? I can only see my own and not even my friends.🤔

Presume he means checking the stats in previous COD's vs. the in-game performance of some of these players.

I watched back some footage - it appears on the times I do bad, to be fair, most of my shots are landing. Whilst this doesn't account for any timing/sync differences that lead to "super bullets" where I get instamelted, it does at least point to something else going on.

What's happening however is the gun-kick/recoil, especially horizontally, is wild. Could recoil have been adjusted in the most recent patch? I've retuned my attachments now to focus on recoil and did notice an immediate improvement.

However, this still doesn't account for how I was able to laser people with the exact same weapon for a full week prior. Unfortunately, I don't save any gameplay of my good games - only bad games, so I can't compare the two. I'll look to do this going forward.

Lag compensation is the main culprit in this particular game. I found a simple semi-solution (because there is no real one to one solution no matter what) At congestion control you lower your download speed as usual, but the upload you leave at 100%. This will help sort of manipulate your connection into making the cod servers think your connection isn't as good. Not sure if I explained it right, but so far this has been a big difference to me.

10 hours ago, Leafar said:

Lag compensation is the main culprit in this particular game. I found a simple semi-solution (because there is no real one to one solution no matter what) At congestion control you lower your download speed as usual, but the upload you leave at 100%. This will help sort of manipulate your connection into making the cod servers think your connection isn't as good. Not sure if I explained it right, but so far this has been a big difference to me.

Do you do this using the QoS sliders? How low are you going with the download speed??

7 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Do you do this using the QoS sliders? How low are you going with the download speed??

Yes with the QoS sliders. I'm on a fiber connection with 1gb up/down and 6ms ping. I set the slider to 85% because the common consensus to beat buffer bloat is usually 15% less than your actual speeds and then adjust accordingly. For me 15% less works fine and gives me good results on dsl reports and waveform. 

I'm on day 2 with these settings now and it still works fine. Rarely the occasional shoot first, die first scenario, but when it happens it's always the same person. So you can't fully eliminate it.

3 hours ago, Leafar said:

Yes with the QoS sliders. I'm on a fiber connection with 1gb up/down and 6ms ping. I set the slider to 85% because the common consensus to beat buffer bloat is usually 15% less than your actual speeds and then adjust accordingly. For me 15% less works fine and gives me good results on dsl reports and waveform. 

I'm on day 2 with these settings now and it still works fine. Rarely the occasional shoot first, die first scenario, but when it happens it's always the same person. So you can't fully eliminate it.

Ok thanks. I’ll give it a go and test it out.

I’m on 74 down and 18 up, so would you say still set down to 85% or go lower?

On 11/4/2022 at 6:04 AM, TODDzillaInLA said:

Changing MTU to 750 made mw2 playable, I can't play mw2 on regular settings I used on previous cods. I'm can't get a kill since launch date,unless I catch the opponent unaware, most times the turn on me and I get destroyed. I gave up mw2, for weeks decide to try the MTU, which made the game playable my shots Registered this time. Looks like I have to tweak more settings just to have a normal game play, thanks for sharing

7 hours ago, Leafar said:

85% should be fine regardless of your speed. I hope this helps for you.

Tested this tonight and if anything it made my connection worse…either that or the MX9 really does shoot marshmallows! (doing the camo challenges and never want to use this gun again).

You may be finding some placebo affect or SBMM has loosened for you. From my understanding, the QoS sliders are only required if you have other devices that are using your bandwidth, so for me it may have an adverse affect as my XSX is the only device utilising the internet when I’m gaming.

20 hours ago, Seye said:

Changing MTU to 750 made mw2 playable, I can't play mw2 on regular settings I used on previous cods. I'm can't get a kill since launch date,unless I catch the opponent unaware, most times the turn on me and I get destroyed. I gave up mw2, for weeks decide to try the MTU, which made the game playable my shots Registered this time. Looks like I have to tweak more settings just to have a normal game play, thanks for sharing

can't set mtu on console? enough on the router? is there no difference?