ANNOUNCEMENT: The Future of DumaOS: Version 3.0

Netduma Luke

On 2/7/2020 at 8:49 AM, Od1n said:

Just like with a controller you have to grind for years to become good.

Sorry to break your illusions, but COD is especially a very connection depending game. You can give literally a monkey a controller and he will do go good if he has a (huge) connection advantage over the rest of the lobby.

Please sign me up for the 3.0 beta on the Netgear XR700 already was on the Netgear closed beta testing before the XR500 released and still part of their beta testing program. Just waiting for a invite to the 3.0 test. Excited for what you have been working on.

On 2/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry to hear that, we do hope you'll consider us again when you see 3.0 in all its glory. We don't do dates anymore as it just leads to unnecessary pressure and also disappointment if those dates are missed. We are hoping to do a beta very soon.

it just leads to unnecessary pressure

so  basic there is no pressure for a release date? Did i read somewhere that someone mentioned this has been in the makings for a year? let me guess you don't want to pull the cookie out of the oven half baked is the reason? what i have seen over the  years of online gaming is that every dev of all games do this put out products half baked. The deadline is a deadline because more than likely quotas need to be met. if your a small company i get it, if you don't have the man power to do it i get it, but why all the Public Relations for a deadline geesssshhhh..

Put it out already then work on the bugs like most devs do customers when it comes to software around the globe. This is what majority of the folks want put it out. If for whatever reason it does not work then they can revert back to an earlier version/downgrade No?. Don't see why the long hold out for update and no in-between patch's for problems some are complaining about on this thread. It seems counter productive in my opinion but you know what they say about opinions lol..  

i have had problems also with the router but i have never actually come on here to complain nor will i.. I love to test test test settings, have been for years with the R1..Now, the only thing i have left to test is experience going back to my old router and or going straight into my gaming console without the R1 just to see what happens while playing different shooter games.. In all my infinate wisdom "Joking of course" in which this never occurred to me since i obtained the fiber connection over the cable connection still had problems then bought into the Duma Rave ... will, report back but i won't give a deadline because that would put to much pressure on me, to produce my findings lol.. 

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Of course there is pressure, all I'm saying is we are not going to put a deadline on it that we may have to extend - we've learnt our lesson, we've provided deadlines before and had to extend them again and again. This way is more practical for us and everyone else. We'll be doing a beta as soon as possible once we have ironed out some bugs that could impact general use, if we put out a beta we're not confident in and it bricks a load of routers then that would be a nightmare. We'll do what we have done before and what works, slow rollouts until we're sure its usable and stable. 

While this is a sensible point, bear in mind, you've been doing this for years! How can it be practical to string people along with "announcements" and "features" that end up not even on the radar for months or, again, years, without the slightest hint of progress? I don't blame you since you're the only one that keeps us somewhat updated, but I agree with the post above you, if you're trying to put out a perfect product, let me save you the trouble, you never will. But at this rate, not only are you losing the support and respect of the people that have believed in your product (myself included), but you are also, and more seriously, letting bigger manufacturers catch up to you on a niche where you guys used to be the lone players, or at least the most advanced.

At the rate this is going, DumaOS will release when every other router manufacturer already has their own solution, and even if it's better than the rest, you can't seriously expect your customer base to wait forever. /endrant

4 hours ago, raikun said:

While this is a sensible point, bear in mind, you've been doing this for years! How can it be practical to string people along with "announcements" and "features" that end up not even on the radar for months or, again, years, without the slightest hint of progress? I don't blame you since you're the only one that keeps us somewhat updated, but I agree with the post above you, if you're trying to put out a perfect product, let me save you the trouble, you never will. But at this rate, not only are you losing the support and respect of the people that have believed in your product (myself included), but you are also, and more seriously, letting bigger manufacturers catch up to you on a niche where you guys used to be the lone players, or at least the most advanced.

At the rate this is going, DumaOS will release when every other router manufacturer already has their own solution, and even if it's better than the rest, you can't seriously expect your customer base to wait forever. /endrant

I'd seriously recommend people to give up their hopes and go with a different solution for their routing needs. While perusing these forums, I finally found out that future proper IPv6 support is not even on the table at this point. I've personally encountered where all WAN activity stops with IPv6 enabled, so them having the tickbox for it available in the settings in the first place blows my mind. No IPv6 support today for me is unacceptable.

Luckily I was smart enough to get a 2 year warranty when I originally bought mine. I feel bad for people who are will be stuck with theirs, still hoping. You can't even flash a custom firmware on the damn thing while you wait.

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, OlegP said:

I'd seriously recommend people to give up their hopes and go with a different solution for their routing needs. While perusing these forums, I finally found out that future proper IPv6 support is not even on the table at this point. I've personally encountered where all WAN activity stops with IPv6 enabled, so them having the tickbox for it available in the settings in the first place blows my mind. No IPv6 support today for me is unacceptable.

Luckily I was smart enough to get a 2 year warranty when I originally bought mine. I feel bad for people who are will be stuck with theirs, still hoping. You can't even flash a custom firmware on the damn thing while you wait.

I'm not sure where you've got the information that we're not going to be supporting IPv6 as that simply isn't true. We want to get fully IPv6/PPPoE/VLAN support and we're conducting testing with each of those connection methods.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not sure where you've got the information that we're not going to be supporting IPv6 as that simply isn't true. We want to get fully IPv6/PPPoE/VLAN support and we're conducting testing with each of those connection methods.

• Administrators

I said in that topic: 

we'll also be working with them to get QoS working correctly with IPv6

I said it wasn't a high priority at the time (1 year ago) and I've said recently (last month) when the beta drops that we'll want feedback on IPv6 so we can make further changes if needed.

I would like to be apart of the beta testing for the XR500. I messaged an admin a few months ago about this but never got a response.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, baesik said:

I'm anxious for the new release. The people working on it have hyped it up quite a bit.

Being part of the beta testing would be fun and engaging. Looking forward to more news of the release.

32 minutes ago, Ra1n said:

I would like to be apart of the beta testing for the XR500. I messaged an admin a few months ago about this but never got a response.

Welcome to the forum!

We haven't got an official sign up list at the moment so this is sort of an informal who's interested thing at the moment. Glad you're both interested in testing!

I've actually been trying to ween away from Duma. Too many promises and no updates. I have gotten the Netgear ax3000 to try it out and I must say it's not the greatest, the same Netgear random disconnects.

Also bought the Asus ROG (GT-AC2900)  and it's beautiful! And not one disconnects. Lots of great features! The Ax3000 is sitting in closet with XR500 lol. But man the Asus router is sweet.

As far as XR500's and 700's they are on eBay super cheap. I'll probably throw mine up there too. I might keep the ax3000 because of the wifi 6 features but not hooking it up right now. I would recommend switching to Asus. Seems like they have more updates more often.

However I'm gonna hold on to the 500 just a little longer for the time being, it does have potential, just not right now.

And Fraser your a good dude man, you keep us up to date on status and stuff but the boys are getting tired man. 🙂👍

2 hours ago, michaeljfig said:

I've actually been trying to ween away from Duma. Too many promises and no updates. I have gotten the Netgear ax3000 to try it out and I must say it's not the greatest, the same Netgear random disconnects.

Also bought the Asus ROG (GT-AC2900)  and it's beautiful! And not one disconnects. Lots of great features! The Ax3000 is sitting in closet with XR500 lol. But man the Asus router is sweet.

As far as XR500's and 700's they are on eBay super cheap. I'll probably throw mine up there too. I might keep the ax3000 because of the wifi 6 features but not hooking it up right now. I would recommend switching to Asus. Seems like they have more updates more often.

However I'm gonna hold on to the 500 just a little longer for the time being, it does have potential, just not right now.

And Fraser your a good dude man, you keep us up to date on status and stuff but the boys are getting tired man. 🙂👍

If you get non GT versions of Asus routers, then you can flash AsusMerlin firmware very easily. It comes with fq_codel for bufferbloat mitigation. :) 

35 minutes ago, OlegP said:

If you get non GT versions of Asus routers, then you can flash AsusMerlin firmware very easily. It comes with fq_codel for bufferbloat mitigation. :) 

I should've shopped around more haha. I love custom firmware. Thanks for info though!

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Spdsk8race said:

If we signed up for the beta program a while back through the other thread, would that still get us in to the beta program?

We've made notes of everyone who has expressed an interest in the beta. We may make an official list closer to the time for people to sign up to.

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We've made notes of everyone who has expressed an interest in the beta. We may make an official list closer to the time for people to sign up to.

Looking forward to it!

Suppose I'll throw my name in too :)

On 3/5/2020 at 10:05 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I would like to sign up for the beta as well.