Xr500 firmware updates

I’m in agreement here ,it’s the 15th July and amazon prime day ,might be some router deals to go for ,I’ve never had a router that does not get supported after it’s been released and initially firmware got bugs mostly resolved, the timeline of updates is very poor and also NetDuma seem to be distancing themselves away from this thread , I was told when I decided to move from ASUS Rog rapture to XR500 that the product would be fully supported moving forward,this was over a year ago now and I kind of feel let down that people are seeing some issues and firmware release is poor, understand Netgear but when I owned R7800 they did at least throw out firmware, so really the question is ,has the XR500 now been put to one side in favour of the newer AX models,Netgear still advertisers XR on Facebook ,one more month and I’m done if no firmware, getting on my nerves family members asking why the iOS device keeps disconnecting.Back to ASUS I think 🤔 

Guest Killhippie

On the 18th of July it will be 7 months since an update has dropped for the XR500. Netduma's mood towards Netgear seems very distant right now but without some transparency this is all guess work. If Netgear and Netduma have parted company and Netgear are reaching end of support for their AC routers it would be good to know so I can sell the router and move on. Its buggy, QoS does not always work as it should, network mapping gets confused, the Geo Filter seems to do not much any more, UPnP has never populated for me in over a year. It only did on one of the early firmwares and thats not good as you cant go back due to lots of security issues. I think a statement about whats going on is needed for people that Own Netgear/DumaOS devices so they can move forward if these routers are not going to get regular updates. I'm not waiting seven months for the next update when this one finally drops that's for sure! Communication does not seem to be Netduma's strong point or Netgears and that just hurts the user base.

Nope we've not parted company with NETGEAR and we have no plans to do so. We're still in daily communication with them.

We're trying to improve our communication to customers, but NETGEAR have strict policies in this regard and we have to abide by those policies.

Not much more I can say right now except that big updates are still on the way.

Ive seen FW updates release in 2 months and others in 9 months. All depends on what Duma and NG are doing and we'll see them when they release them. Please be patient. 

9 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

I’m in agreement here ,it’s the 15th July and amazon prime day ,might be some router deals to go for ,I’ve never had a router that does not get supported after it’s been released and initially firmware got bugs mostly resolved, the timeline of updates is very poor and also NetDuma seem to be distancing themselves away from this thread , I was told when I decided to move from ASUS Rog rapture to XR500 that the product would be fully supported moving forward,this was over a year ago now and I kind of feel let down that people are seeing some issues and firmware release is poor, understand Netgear but when I owned R7800 they did at least throw out firmware, so really the question is ,has the XR500 now been put to one side in favour of the newer AX models,Netgear still advertisers XR on Facebook ,one more month and I’m done if no firmware, getting on my nerves family members asking why the iOS device keeps disconnecting.Back to ASUS I think 🤔 

Have you troubleshot your system? I haven't see any iOS disconnects with my XR router. Works well, also have a EX7700 connected with it. Seen some iOS version were problematic as well so, its not entirely a router issue. 

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Have you troubleshot your system? I haven't see any iOS disconnects with my XR router. Works well, also have a EX7700 connected with it. Seen some iOS version were problematic as well so, its not entirely a router issue. 

Same here, no iOS bugs using version 12.3.1 or version 11 as that's what I was using when the XR500 was released.

11 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

I haven't seen any on 12.3.1 with my XR router. Working well. 

I’ve not had it often but daughters have ,anyway aside from that the point is firmware releases are not forthcoming,I’ll wait but not forever,I chose this router purely based on support having previously owned both Rog raptures AX and GT which are very capable.hopefully something will drop sooner rather than later 

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

I’ve not had it often but daughters have ,anyway aside from that the point is firmware releases are not forthcoming,I’ll wait but not forever,I chose this router purely based on support having previously owned both Rig raptures AX and GT which are very capable.hopefully something will drop sooner rather than later 

If you are using HT160 turn it off as it can cause issues with packet loss in crowded Wi-Fi environments where lots of routers are near each other, if you can see them in your iOS list that means turn that off. As to updates, yes its a pain but its not just the XR500 I have noticed missing out on updates. from netgear oddly enough.

2 hours ago, Fuzy said:

DD-WRT with XR500 work very Well on BO4 !

17-07-2019_20-13-12-rqj3yyza.thumb.png.3548c4909db1a0707a21a8d7b8d9c173.png                                         

17-07-2019_20-23-49-afdcwdjj.thumb.png.8e69224d1fa3ecf2d5d10fe96cca7ea1.png

Fuzy, are you saying you took and downloaded DD-WRT on your XR500?

Thanks!

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
On 7/15/2019 at 12:26 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Nope we've not parted company with NETGEAR and we have no plans to do so. We're still in daily communication with them.

We're trying to improve our communication to customers, but NETGEAR have strict policies in this regard and we have to abide by those policies.

Not much more I can say right now except that big updates are still on the way.

You have in my opinion one of the most quirky models for patching and updating firmware I've seen to be honest. Your team dropped milestone 1.3 in December last year (18th I think) and have not patched one bug so far, and keep telling us big things are coming well after a while people just give up, and you have seen this before as it sounds a lot like the R1 situation with "DumaOS is coming" all over again. I really thought Netduma would have realised this isn't the way to communicate, or patch firmware. Of course this is just my point of view but maybe you guys are spreading yourselves to thin with new projects to spend time patching old ones?  I don't care about what's coming, I care about what I'm using now tbh. Anything new in the works after bug fixes, well its all gravy.

As I see it you really shouldn't patch by upgrading OS levels, rather like if Apple for instance released iOS 12 and then no bug fixes for a year and then patched iOS 12 by releasing iOS 13! There are always security issues and bugs, hell you wont even push Netgear to patch all that out of date code. (looking at you OpenSSL and miniupnd amongst many others) You should be patching bugs in between milestones, and that's as much to do with you and your Devs decisions on where to put the resources as it is Netgears, I'm sure.

9 hours ago, Killhippie said:

You have in my opinion one of the most quirky models for patching and updating firmware I've seen to be honest. Your team dropped milestone 1.3 in December last year (18th I think) and have not patched one bug so far, and keep telling us big things are coming well after a while people just give up, and you have seen this before as it sounds a lot like the R1 situation with "DumaOS is coming" all over again. I really though Netduma would have realised this isn't the way to communicate, or patch firmware. Of course this is just my point of view but maybe you guys are spreading yourselves to thin with new projects to spend time patching old ones?  I don't care about what's coming, I care about what I'm using now tbh. Anything new in the works after bug fixes, well its all gravy.

As I see it you really shouldn't patch by upgrading OS levels, rather like Apple for instance releasing iOS 12 and then no bug fixes for a year and then patching iOS 12 by releasing iOS 13! There are always security issues and bugs, hell you wont even push Netgear to patch all that out of date code. (looking at you OpenSSL and miniupnd amongst many others) You should be patching bugs in between milestones, and that's as much to do with you and your Devs decisions on where to put the resources as it is Netgears, I'm sure.

Killhippie speak the word brother!! I totally agree with you! We cant go from milestone to milestone with no patches along the way. And going these lengths between milestones this type of model will not survive. I have no idea where this is even thought of as a possible method. Honestly I have no idea who thought this would be just fine. But I can tell you one thing.. People that are the consumers wont forget this.. Ive watched closely in this forum how some have bought this XR500 and returned it rather quickly because of odd issues.  I cant blame them a bit! I hung onto mine thinking any day now we will get some patches.. If someone would have told me it would be months on end I would have said they were crazy.. Well looks like the joke is on me! 

At this stage of the game I don't care if Netgear is in charge of these so called fixes or firmware updates.. And im sure we the consumer don't care either but just want some support that doesn't get strung out months on end telling us nothing and even worse fixing nothing..  Netduma has to realize there name is on this product as well. They also need to man up and say hey Netgear we need to get this corrected and have some direction here.. I don't see this from Netduma at all.. They seem to be laying down and just winging it! I cant believe I have to even write this so we can get some support.. Basic business fundamentals is completely missing here.. 

Zippy..

DumaOS don't work that's the sad reality !

But they try "i think" to repair ... money money !

I use DD-WRT on XR at these moment... Work very fine for me !

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/07-16-2019-r40352/netgear-xr500/factory-to-ddwrt.img

To come back on Duma OS :

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Work fine, i tried ! 

"Before you attempt make sure to do factory reset. I had to trick the xr500 firmware to install, read below. I'm not responsible for damages. That is how I managed to successfully reinstall xr500 from ddwrt. 

So goto firmware upgrade in router settings, next select the xr500 firmware. 

Now when you click upgrade it's going to goto that upgrade successful page. The all white one. Now in that same white page just refresh it or go-to address bar and click go OR if there is an upgrade button there click it. Link should look like 192.168.1.1/upgrade.cgi or similar. 

The router will appear to not respond and the power light will flash that Amber color like it was in a boot loop. 

Now, use that tftp command to flash xr500 firmware again it will successfully flash. I flashed it in cmd prompt. 

That's how I got back to my dumaos firmware and it's working. 

Also, surprisingly all default settings like WiFi name and WiFi password we're back to original. 

***You might want to do first reset 30-30-30 or whatever."

Sorry for my english 

• Administrators

I can’t comment on the lack of firmware updates beyond what we’ve already said before but rest assured we are reading all the comments so we do take it on board.

Do keep in mind that using DD-WRT on the router would likely void the warranty and we wouldn’t be able to provide support should you have any issues with that software. 

I am a pretty patient guy but even I am losing it. I have to reset this router every 3 days or so or I get melted playing apex. I can tell when it needs a reset as I will go 3 games in a row without even a knockdown. Ridiculous.