Xr500 firmware updates

It’s clear that people are getting slightly annoyed as they purchased a hardware product BUT mainly the software that runs on it is the defining factor here, I personally do not think Netduma lie or would or will give out false information, I have been with the R1 from the beginning but left and went back to ASUS  due to hardware of R1 ,I was happy when better hardware was running with duma OS on and decided to move back leaving the Rog Rapture behind,however before I did that I posed the question in a forum thread ,will this product be fully supported ,answer was yes as this was a new partnership ,I do think it will come through at the end but find a need for a little more transparency is required and a definitive answer to a firmware ,such as yes we see the issues and we are hoping but not guaranteed that a firmware will be available in a said month ,that’s were the frustration from users is coming from and the fact it was December the last one was released excluding the hotfix which to be fair is a one issue fix.so maybe Ian as the CTO of the company might want to look at this as it does have the potential to tarnish a reputation of a company ,not just on forums but via word of mouth ,I do hope that this software and hardware is supported still, in my opinion I was said netduma should have their own router but realise that’s easier said than done.lets hope for some positives with this one ☝️ 

I agree that the NETGEAR deal does create some issues with transparency which we didn't have when it was just our own hardware. This is an unfortunate side effect of working with a large publicly traded company.

Still, we remain dedicated to supporting all of the hardware that our software is on.

@Netduma Alex kindly explain to me in what way "your software" has been supported?

The forum at this point only serves as a platform for users to complain on and for yourselves to render no real assistance with the weak explanations given. 

The only thing that is needed and is beyond long overdue is for the "Software" issues to be fixed and for it to work as advertised. 

Are you not tired of this rhetoric........ i mean its been a minute!! 

I want to brag about my DumoOS powered router not complain. 

40 minutes ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

Are you not tired of this rhetoric........ i mean its been a minute!! 

I'm tired of this rhetoric yes but it's all part of the job 👍

1 hour ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

From a hardware standpoint the 'Netgear' XR500 delivers what it says it would, so Netgear has delivered on their end. 

The same cannot be said about "DumaOS" and thats a fact!!!!

Just fix the software issues and you will have less to almost no complaints. 

What you don't understand, as I said previously, is that the division is not as clean as "Netduma does the software, Netgear does the hardware". In fact, it is a split effort, where we build upon the existing software that NETGEAR has made. This involves connecting our software to theirs in such a way that they become compatible and share information. When a problem occurs, it can be hard to tell who's fault it is, so we work together with Netgear to get it sorted. I'm not trying to pass the buck, but it's not as simple as you say it is.

Its the manufacturer and developers responsibility to simplify things, especially if its a 'combination' of 1+ another as you stated...... the end user cannot be burdened with things that should have been resolved long before the product and or its updates (or lack thereof) has been released. 

If u are piggy backing off the existing Netgear software then improve the Netduma side of the equation to counter the 'simple' Netgear platform. 

This is not my day job.....i am a legal practitioner....... and in my line of work i dont make excuses, i look at problems and i come up with 110% sound solutions and fixes. 

Guest Killhippie

Nobody is talking about netduma lying. There has been some hollow promises from Netduma, and I repeat that one about new icons coming so not everything is labelled as the computer when it’s not. Jack came up with great ideas as to what the icons could be and over a year and a half later they never appeared. DumaOS  is kind of a Frankenstein‘s monster situation with netgears own firmware powering the hardware like the drivers for the QUALCOMM SoC and also all the GPL and openSSL  packages.  I think an issue here is netgear rarely update those packages,  for instance miniupnd is over a decade old and has just been patched in binary but still version 1.0.  OpenSSL was from December 2017 and has not been updated, so these things have a potential possibly for DumaOS to trip over as both firmware and software try to exist in the same space. 

Also on the other hand none of the bugs since milestone 1.3 have been patched. Including the possibility of QpS not working properly, because of a mismatch in port mapping between Netgear’s 4-3-2-1-Wan in connection settings and in table view DumaOS is 1-2-3-4-Wan.  When the new table view was brought out that should not of happened. There are issues with QoS  whether this bug is just cosmetic or not no one knows or has taken responsibility for it, leaving that issue and quite a few others with no real answer. So where do current users stand with fixes and who is going to provide the push for a patch via Netgears  engineering department in Taiwan.  Well the fact it’s down to netgear kind of tells us who is responsible really because Netduma can’t push for patches if the parent company that own the hardware won’t do it   

My other concern is the hardware is already heading towards four years old on these routers, and the parent company for these routers is moving on to AX routers. If Netgear decide to stop supporting firmware updates for the hardware these routers become dead in the water. With the new AX gear coming out I imagine Netgear are pushing everything onto those devices like the RAX120 with WPA3 and 12 WiFi streams. Power wise and signal wise it does run rings around the hardware on these devices even the XR700 and having beta tested the RAX120 it’s a great piece of kit. I’m very tempted to move onto that router at some point full time simply because I get a better signal in every room in the house and it’s set and forget with great QoS.   

I would like to see the XR range of routers succeed but ultimately it’s not down to Netfuma it’s down to Netgear and waiting almost 8 months for a patch is ludicrous, and for Netduma not to have pushed any patches to Netgear that we know of for the issues in milestone 1.3 is also a bit of a moot point. As I’ve said before you don’t patch by upgrading  OS  from 1.3 to 1.4. You patch the smaller bugs in between to make sure you have provided users with the most stable firmware for the current milestone, until the next major update if there is one of course, as ultimately that is still down to Netgear once again .

We know there’s going to be bugs in milestone 1.4 and will the bugs from milestone 1.3 carry over at this rate too?  I hope not but they should’ve been patched anyway in the meantime.  Also for people who bought this router why should they have to wait this long to get the thing to actually do what it’s meant to. I know the guys work really hard I’ve got no issue with them whatsoever, but I don’t think at this moment things are working well because you’ve got a multi-million pound company who don’t really say a lot but make great hardware, and I’m sure Netduma under some kind of NDA so they cant say much either.  This is not an ideal situation  as nobody is saying anything because they can’t .  :( 

On 7/18/2019 at 8:16 PM, Fuzy said:

¡DumaOS no funciona, esa es la triste realidad!

Pero intentan "creo" para reparar ... dinero dinero!

Utilizo DD-WRT en XR en este momento ... ¡Funciona muy bien para mí!

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/07-16-2019-r40352/netgear-xr500/factory-to-ddwrt.img

Para volver a Duma OS :

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

¡Funciona bien, lo intenté! 

"Antes de intentar, asegúrese de hacer un restablecimiento de fábrica. Tuve que engañar al firmware xr500 para instalar, lea a continuación. No soy responsable de los daños. Así es como logré reinstalar xr500 con éxito desde ddwrt.

Así que vaya a la  actualización del firmware en el enrutador configuración, a continuación, seleccione el firmware xr500. 

Ahora, cuando haga clic en actualizar, pasará a esa página de actualización exitosa. La totalmente blanca. Ahora en esa misma página blanca, simplemente actualícela o vaya a la barra de direcciones y haga clic en ir O si hay un Haga clic en el botón de actualización. El enlace debe verse como 192.168.1.1/upgrade.cgi o similar. 

Aparecerá que el enrutador no responde y la luz de encendido parpadeará en ese color ámbar como si estuviera en un bucle de arranque. 

Ahora, use ese comando tftp para actualizar el firmware xr500 nuevamente, parpadeará correctamente. Lo mostré en cmd prompt. 

Así es como volví a mi firmware dumaos y está funcionando. 

Además, sorprendentemente, todas las configuraciones predeterminadas, como el nombre y la contraseña de WiFi, volvimos a la original. 

*** Es posible que desee restablecer primero 30-30-30 o lo que sea ".

Lo siento por mi ingles 

Mm this firmware of ddwrt solve problem with vlan tag? And have geofilter option, quos, antibufferbloat and more? Thanks

4 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

My other concern is the hardware is already heading towards four years old on these routers, and the parent company for these routers is moving on to AX routers. If Netgear decide to stop supporting firmware updates for the hardware these routers become dead in the water.

You make a fair point. I can confirm our long term support for our products but I can't confirm NETGEAR's. That said, I think it would be a bad look for them not to provide DumaOS updates that other DumaOS products are receiving, so I doubt that they'll leave XR500 users in the lurch. Believe me, we are aware of the issues with the current setup.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

Its the manufacturer and developers responsibility to simplify things, especially if its a 'combination' of 1+ another as you stated...... the end user cannot be burdened with things that should have been resolved long before the product and or its updates (or lack thereof) has been released. 

If u are piggy backing off the existing Netgear software then improve the Netduma side of the equation to counter the 'simple' Netgear platform. 

This is not my day job.....i am a legal practitioner....... and in my line of work i dont make excuses, i look at problems and i come up with 110% sound solutions and fixes. 

There is nothing simple about the netgear platform, it’s really complicated and there’s a lot of open source code and other proprietary code in there that runs the whole routers hardware base and some of its  main features like Wi-Fi and switching.  You seem to keep forgetting that DumaOS is almost an overlay over the actual underlying firmware that runs the router which provides the drivers et cetera.  Without netgear there is no XR500. The R7800 which is the basis for this router is being patched constantly buy a  guy called Voxel on Smallnetbuilder and if you see the amount of work that he and kamoj put in you would be really surprised I think. Basically underneath what you see is the entire code for the R7800 still, it’s  all still there including streamboost but  most of it has for want of a better term, has been switched off to allow DumaOS to run on it. The original test bed  for the XR500 was the R7800 with DumaOS on it   

1 hour ago, jordi08110 said:

Mm this firmware of ddwrt solve problem with vlan tag? And have geofilter option, quos, antibufferbloat and more? Thanks

C'est DD-WRT pas DumaOS !

Donc toutes les options qui vont bien avec DD WRT mais en aucun cas le geofiltre !

Mais est-ce vraiment un problème ? en France certainement pas ! Le Geofiltre ne sert pas à grand chose pour le moment surtout avec tous les bugs de DumasOS sur la gamme XR (XR500 personnellement, sur le R1 je n'ai pas essayé) ! A part nous indiquer le ping et accessoirement la localisation du serveur !

J'ai testé des serveurs à 84 ms où j'obtenais de meilleurs résultats que sur des serveurs à 10 ms de ping ... 

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

There is nothing simple about the netgear platform, it’s really complicated and there’s a lot of open source code and other proprietary code in there that runs the whole routers hardware base and some of its  main features like Wi-Fi and switching.  You seem to keep forgetting that DumaOS is almost an overlay over the actual underlying firmware that runs the router which provides the drivers et cetera.  Without netgear there is no XR500. The R7800 which is the basis for this router is being patched constantly buy a  guy called Voxel on Smallnetbuilder and if you see the amount of work that he and kamoj put in you would be really surprised I think. Basically underneath what you see is the entire code for the R7800 still, it’s  all still there including streamboost but  most of it has for want of a better term, been switched off to allow DumaOS to run on it. The original testbed  for the XR500 was the R7800 with DumaOS on it   

So all that being said....... before any product is released, there should have been intense testing to make sure the end user is not stuck with a product that doesnt work as advertised. 

Everyone understands that nothing is perfect but when a full year passes by without the issues users are experiencing being addressed and properly fixed, only for the same recitation to get fed to them then its to be expected that people are going to get called out on their poor service (and thats putting it mildly). 

3 hours ago, Fuzy said:

¡C'est DD-WRT pas DumaOS!

Donc toutes les options qui vont bien avec DD WRT mais en aucun cas le geofiltre!

Mais est-ce vraiment un problème? en France certainement pas! ¡Le Geofiltre ne sert pas à grand eligió le momento surtout avec tous les bugs de DumasOS sur la gamme XR (XR500 personnellement, sur le R1 je n'ai pas essayé)! ¡Una parte que indica el ping y el acceso a la localización del servidor!

J'ai testé des serveurs à 84 ms où obtenais de meilleurs Résultats que sur des serveurs à 10 ms de ping ... 

U can send me by pm images of the page of xr500 with all optimizations of this firmware?more thanks

15 hours ago, Killhippie said:

There is nothing simple about the netgear platform, it’s really complicated and there’s a lot of open source code and other proprietary code in there that runs the whole routers hardware base and some of its  main features like Wi-Fi and switching.  You seem to keep forgetting that DumaOS is almost an overlay over the actual underlying firmware that runs the router which provides the drivers et cetera.  Without netgear there is no XR500. The R7800 which is the basis for this router is being patched constantly buy a  guy called Voxel on Smallnetbuilder and if you see the amount of work that he and kamoj put in you would be really surprised I think. Basically underneath what you see is the entire code for the R7800 still, it’s  all still there including streamboost but  most of it has for want of a better term, has been switched off to allow DumaOS to run on it. The original test bed  for the XR500 was the R7800 with DumaOS on it   

Shame Voxel can’t do anything with it, that guy should work at Netgear, he is still supporting R7800 to this day I believe,sold mine unfortunately,might get another though and put Voxel firmware on it again 

Guest Killhippie
58 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

Shame Voxel can’t do anything with it, that guy should work at Netgear, he is still supporting R7800 to this day I believe,sold mine unfortunately,might get another though and put Voxel firmware on it again 

To old now and 32bit SoC's are on the way out. Im looking at replacing my Beta RAX120 with a full release version and just moving on. 64 bit Soc and AX is now the way to go.

34 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

To old now and 32bit SoC's are on the way out. Im looking at replacing my Beta RAX120 with a full release version and just moving on. 64 bit Soc and AX is now the way to go.

Might have to look at that myself to be honest ,how was the RAX120,see netgear are advertising them now 

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Might have to look at that myself to be honest ,how was the RAX120,see netgear are advertising them now 

Its a good router, has bugs like they all do, has good throughput and good range, especially with four streams to 2.4Ghz. You really need AX kit to get the most out of it. I'm holding back a bit until the final AX draft to make sure these  routers are 100% compatible, they were I believe built off draft 3. Final draft should be soon at the end of 2019.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:18 AM, Killhippie said:

My other concern is the hardware is already heading towards four years old on these routers, and the parent company for these routers is moving on to AX routers. If Netgear decide to stop supporting firmware updates for the hardware these routers become dead in the water.

This. I broke my own vow to not buy another Netgear product when I saw this router come out. I thought, "Hey, someone else doing the software!!! Cool, maybe I can rely upon this 3rd party to keep the system up to date." The jury is in. Nope. Another abandoned Netgear product. Shame on me.

I understand everyone's frustrations but I also think netduma has been awesome with supporting what is out there and helping with settings and other issues. Don't be too hard on these guys, they are only doing what they can do. I blame Netgear and would like to thank all the support guys here for their thankless work. 

Guest Killhippie
On 8/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, Mikzxr said:

I understand everyone's frustrations but I also think netduma has been awesome with supporting what is out there and helping with settings and other issues. Don't be too hard on these guys, they are only doing what they can do. I blame Netgear and would like to thank all the support guys here for their thankless work. 

Netduma work hard but none of the promises for the XR500 have materialised from back in March 2018. No  new icons for device manager, no GUI fix for Hybrid VPN undefinedB' 0.0 KiB in r-apps even in the Hotfix nothing was fixed in the GUI. Netduma had enough time to fix that GUI issue, also they said that Hybrid VPN would be turned off in the next update, well that didn't happen either nor did the "yes we will add a retest your speed button" which was promised along time before milestone 1.3 was released. Both sides are guilty here to a degree I would have to say.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, Netduma Alex said:

I'm tired of this rhetoric yes but it's all part of the job 👍

....the division is not as clean as "Netduma does the software, Netgear does the hardware".
In fact, it is a split effort, where we build upon the existing software that NETGEAR has made. ....

Oh WOW!

Thanks Alex, that clarify!

but sure I'm deluded: I bought a "Duma's" router ... (to get rid of..)
... because ...
...I had over my head of the Netgear crappy software, more that I could stand!!

(and now, probably, you as well 🙂 )

Alain

PS: too many similarity to Netgear issues I've found reflected in DUMA but I didn't knew why , now I know.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:28 PM, Killhippie said:

... DumaOS is almost an overlay over the actual underlying firmware that runs the router which provides the drivers et cetera.  Without netgear there is no XR500.  it   

As DDR-WRT has demonstrate you have no need for Netgear software.

It's often easier to rewrite some basic code then to travel piggy-back without knowing where you are going and how you're supported.

Alain

PS: Good idea to give DDR-WRT a try 

On 8/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, peanut183 said:

This. I broke my own vow to not buy another Netgear product when I saw this router come out. I thought, "Hey, someone else doing the software!!! Cool, maybe I can rely upon this 3rd party to keep the system up to date." The jury is in. Nope. Another abandoned Netgear product. Shame on me.

I agree ... and same mistake here.

DUMA's engineer are may be not the problem.
I suppose main fault is Netgear, but in Duma... they didn't abstract their software from the HDW/SFW Netgear was offering...
.... to make a SHINY User's experience.

Alain

PS: as per usual:  you get - what you get  - after they get - your money

Guest Killhippie
11 minutes ago, AlainCh2 said:

As DDR-WRT has demonstrate you have no need for Netgear software.

It's often easier to rewrite some basic code the to travel piggy-back without knowing where you are going and how you're supported.

Alain

PS: Good idea to give DDR-WRT a try 

But they dont always have the latsest switch or Wi-Fi drivers I believe, Netgear license them from whichever provider they use so in this case Qualcomm hence we get in theory the latest patches from Qualcomm. I know what you mean though by knowing how you are supported.

I'm happy with the R7800 with Voxels firmware, and oddly the RAX120 on stock, all routers have bugs. Its just how long they take to get fixed that erm bugs me. ;) I'm sure an update will be along soon and things will move on, but personally I need to look for a router that's baked with one companies software maybe, not two. Also WPA3 support etc if it does not come to the XR500 and next year AX cleints will be out so this router for myself has a limited shelf life anyway, especially with no IPv6 support. Still the router is great when it works as intended. Right time to go enjoy the sunshine. :)

On 7/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks, would also be better to make a new topic for this as it's unrelated to this topic.

If you're getting close to your warranty then unless I am mistaken means there was an update just before you bought, just after and then two more after that being the .40 and the hotfix. I realise you're frustrated but it's been about a year and a half since launch and there have been 8 firmware versions in that time which on average is a new version less than every 3 months (I know thats not the case always but that is what it averages to). I realise it has been a little time since the last firmware update (if you're discounting the hotfix version) but if you look at that average and then the plans for the router it certainly hasn't been forgotten about.

Ive never heard of averaging out firmware drops! That is something new to me. And yes I am not including the hot fix update because wasn't that intended for those that were getting disconnected?  The firmwares I remember are .32 and .40 If I got those correct.  I do not count firmware drops prior to my purchase. And I sure don't average out firmware drops..That in itself is bizarre to me and I have never heard that before used accept here.. My big concern is the fact we are going on to almost 8 months without anything substantial.. Again im not counting the hotfix.. I know your trying to put a good face on this but deep down I think you know better. Its been more then "a little time". And heres the thing.. It may not have been forgotten by you guys at Netduma. But you cant support a product you don't have control to support.. You can make all the DumaOS you want for the XR500 but if Netgear doesn't push things out and fix things in a much more timely manner it all means nothing.. Honestly the damage has already been done. Ive had bad experiences but this tops them by a longshot! 

Zippy.

16 hours ago, Killhippie said:

But they dont always have the latsest switch or Wi-Fi drivers I believe, Netgear license them from whichever provider they use so in this case Qualcomm hence we get in theory the latest patches from Qualcomm. I know what you mean though by knowing how you are supported.

I'm happy with the R7800 with Voxels firmware, and oddly the RAX120 on stock, all routers have bugs. Its just how long they take to get fixed that erm bugs me. ;) I'm sure an update will be along soon and things will move on, but personally I need to look for a router that's baked with one companies software maybe, not two. Also WPA3 support etc if it does not come to the XR500 and next year AX cleints will be out so this router for myself has a limited shelf life anyway, especially with no IPv6 support. Still the router is great when it works as intended. Right time to go enjoy the sunshine. :)

Killhippie, If the R7800 was the test bed for DumaOS cant we just flash this XR500 with Voxels firmware? I do know there were people downloading DumaOS on the 7800 was wondering if that could work the other way around and just use Voxels. Granted we would lose DumaOS but we would get a router with support.. Have you asked Voxel this before? Curious to see what he would say on this matter. Ive talked to him a bit about the XR500.

Zippy.