iAmMoDBoX

The are known issues with the TM1602 modem. It's intel based:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

http://www.badmodems.com/

Any broadcom based modems do not have these problems like Intel modems have:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65000

I'm using a Motorola MB7420 and Arris 6183 with a 200/10 ISP service with an R1 and a XR500 routers. Zero issues.

Always contact your ISP to see what they officially support first.

The TC 7610 is a 8x4 modem. Is capable of a bit over 300Mb however some ISP like to use more channels for higher speeds. So with mine using 200/10, my modems are 24x8 channel modems. My ISP recommends using the 24x8 modems over 8x4 for faster or higher speed tiers. All depends on what ISP implement and required for there systems to work at speeds on there networks. Review what your ISP requires for there networks.

If you keep the 200 speed tier, get in to a 24x8 channel modem. It's up to you want to down grade. Speed depends on your needs. UP Link is more important than download.

currently have spectrum internet (300+ mbps down /20+mbps up) using a ARRIS TM1602 been using it for a few years now and always notice a bit of lag and ping spikes.. after some research  and comparing to your "good" list with my ISP my only options seem to be the TC7610 or the TC7610E .. 

what is the difference between the two?
and would It be in my best interest to downgrade my service to the 100mbps package if im taking this route?

• Administrators

Hi all, I have removed the last page or so of posts. We want to keep it civil here.

I've also added [Opinions] to the topic title. Everyone looking for a new modem should also conduct their own research when making a decision. You should be certain of your decision before making a financial comittment. Also added this line to the original post.

Any broadcom based modems do not have these problems like Intel modems have.

I'm using a Motorola MB7420 and Arris 6182 with a 200/10 ISP service with an R1 and a XR500 routers. Zero issues.

The TC 7610 is a 8x4 modem. Is capable of a bit over 300Mb however some ISP like to use more channels for higher speeds. So with mine using 200/10, my modems are 24x8 channel modems. My ISP recommends using the 24x8 modems over 8x4 for faster or higher speed tiers. All depends on what ISP implement and required for there systems to work at speeds on there networks. Review what your ISP requires for there networks.

If you keep the 200 speed tier, get in to a 24x8 channel modem. It's up to you want to down grade. Speed depends on your needs. UP Link is more important than download.

As others have mentioned Arris SB6183 is a great modem choice as well. No ping fluctuation, rock solid Broadcom chipset just like the TP-Link and many others. 

Can confirm here having the XR500 myself that it works flawlessly with the SB6183. 

Especially worth consideration if you re going to go over the 8x4 channel limitations. 

TP Link is a great choice if you currently have one of the INTEL Puma modems such as the SB6190 or you have an older modem / want to stop paying your ISP for their rental fee. 

If you already have a good modem such as the SB6183 do your homework before switching :)

As others have mentioned Arris SB6183 is a great modem choice as well. No ping fluctuation, rock solid Broadcom chipset just like the TP-Link and many others. 

Can confirm here having the XR500 myself that it works flawlessly with the SB6183. 

Especially worth consideration if you re going to go over the 8x4 channel limitations. 

TP Link is a great choice if you currently have one of the INTEL Puma modems such as the SB6190 or you have an older modem / want to stop paying your ISP for their rental fee. 

If you already have a good modem such as the SB6183 do your homework before switching :)

What ISP do you have?

I have the SB6183 with comcast business internet and ping plotter results and actual experience in game are both bad.

What ISP do you have?

I have the SB6183 with comcast business internet and ping plotter results and actual experience in game are both bad.

Spectrum 100/10 home connection. No ping spikes here and no issues in games. (Xbox One X's)

• 4 weeks later...

From my experience with 3.1 modems they were a bit wonky... so unless you absolutely need it, I wouldn't do it

Wonky is right! LoL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

34090899.png

I am getting this. Using Zhone 2426 modem/router combo provided by ISP.

ISP does not allow a different modem to be used. ISP can control modem from their side and customers are not allowed to meddle much with its features.
Thus why I asked them to place the modem in Bridged mode to the XR500 that has the same MAC address as my PC via MAC Clone. This is so that during troubleshooting, where they require my PC to be directly connected to the port instead of through the router, I will not have to fumble around telling them to update the MAC address so the Zhone will recognize my PC.
Yup. My ISP is so controlling, imagine wanting to set a port forward. I have to call them and tell them it is for this LAN IP address and to this port and the process repeats every time. Extremely tedious!

Also, it is always a good practice to set whatever is behind your router in Bridged mode to prevent the Modem/Router from doing its own processing of your packet which can cause buffer bloat whereas Bridged Mode will just let all packets through and leave the processing strictly to the XR500.

Users with modem/router combos that can't bridge them can also use a feature known as DMZ and this will help with this double NAT condition when using modem/router combo units.

Looks like your speeds are to spec and worth the tedious hassle of working with your ISP to get that.  :rolleyes:  I'm jealous. :wub:

34090899.png

I am getting this. Using Zhone 2426 modem/router combo provided by ISP.

ISP does not allow a different modem to be used. ISP can control modem from their side and customers are not allowed to meddle much with its features.
Thus why I asked them to place the modem in Bridged mode to the XR500 that has the same MAC address as my PC via MAC Clone. This is so that during troubleshooting, where they require my PC to be directly connected to the port instead of through the router, I will not have to fumble around telling them to update the MAC address so the Zhone will recognize my PC.
Yup. My ISP is so controlling, imagine wanting to set a port forward. I have to call them and tell them it is for this LAN IP address and to this port and the process repeats every time. Extremely tedious!

Also, it is always a good practice to set whatever is behind your router in Bridged mode to prevent the Modem/Router from doing its own processing of your packet which can cause buffer bloat whereas Bridged Mode will just let all packets through and leave the processing strictly to the XR500.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone I have been away busy working and testing routers but I wanted to mention that I have moved to a new location.

Recently a couple nights ago my internet dropped for a long time and then in the morning when I went to check on what happend.

I noticed that the modem was locked to 31 download channels instead of the normal 24 it would at multiple locations.

Previous to this night the modem locked onto 24 download channels.

Today I remembered the puma test and wanted to see what it looked like.

My Arris SB6190 is still using version 9.1.93V and I did the test and it passed with flying clolors with zero red blocks.

I have pictures to prove it and so I stand by what I had said in the past that this modem is perfectly fine with the netduma router.

It really depends on your connection and area really. The version is the same I was using when I lived in another location with multiple red blocks in the test.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 8:20 PM, e38BimmerFN said:

Any broadcom based modems do not have these problems like Intel modems have:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65000

I'm using a Motorola MB7420 and Arris 6183 with a 200/10 ISP service with an R1 and a XR500 routers. Zero issues.

I just moved to TX & have Spectrum 200/10. I’m using my TP Link TC7610 which I know is a great modem.....but.....with the speeds of 200/10, spectrum doesn’t recommend this one. They recommend the 7620. My question is, should I go with a different modem since my 7610 is only an 8x4 channel, to match the higher speeds of 200/10? If I run the test on the Duma & it doesn’t show high spikes, ping or packet loss, shouldn’t it be ok, even though it’s not recommended with these speeds? I may try the freebie modem they gave me just to compare....I know they don’t have a great track record, but since I have it & its the recommended modem, why not? 

What are your thoughts?

On 12/20/2018 at 7:34 AM, CrossFitKila717 said:

I just moved to TX & have Spectrum 200/10. I’m using my TP Link TC7610 which I know is a great modem.....but.....with the speeds of 200/10, spectrum doesn’t recommend this one. They recommend the 7620. My question is, should I go with a different modem since my 7610 is only an 8x4 channel, to match the higher speeds of 200/10? If I run the test on the Duma & it doesn’t show high spikes, ping or packet loss, shouldn’t it be ok, even though it’s not recommended with these speeds? I may try the freebie modem they gave me just to compare....I know they don’t have a great track record, but since I have it & its the recommended modem, why not? 

What are your thoughts?

Yes, you'll have better performances with 16x4 than with 8x4 channels. 

The 7620 specs:

WAN throughput: 680 Mbps
 WAN throughput upstream: 143 Mbps

7610 specs:

WAN throughput: 343 Mbps

Also as ISP upgrade and improve there services, 8x4 and 16x4 will become out dated and some ISP will mandate or require the use of better modems with 24 or 32 channel support. Keep this in mind. 

A good modem list can be reviewed here:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, CrossFitKila717 said:

What are your thoughts?

If they recommend the 7620 that would get you better performance.. Do you happen to know if your area in TX is running on or supports DOCSIS 3.1? That's one of the things I would check. I have Spectrum here but I don't live in TX. Im all the way north of you in MN. I have the same speeds as you and they are telling me to update to DOCSIS 3.1. Basically this whole DOCSIS upgrade to 3.1 is to help with congestion and deliver higher speeds..  Even if your not on a gig plan the benefits of DOCSIS 3.1 is more channel bonding..  And the more DOCSIS 3.1 modems that are deployed the more it helps the whole Spectrum network congestion.. That's the theory behind it..  Just figured Id share that..  

34 minutes ago, Zippy said:

If they recommend the 7620 that would get you better performance.. Do you happen to know if your area in TX is running on or supports DOCSIS 3.1? That's one of the things I would check. I have Spectrum here but I don't live in TX. Im all the way north of you in MN. I have the same speeds as you and they are telling me to update to DOCSIS 3.1. Basically this whole DOCSIS upgrade to 3.1 is to help with congestion and deliver higher speeds..  Even if your not on a gig plan the benefits of DOCSIS 3.1 is more channel bonding..  And the more DOCSIS 3.1 modems that are deployed the more it helps the whole Spectrum network congestion.. That's the theory behind it..  Just figured Id share that..  

The 7620 was one that we supposedly needed to stay away from.....I think it was on the bad list of modems because of that whole puma 6 chip issue. I have no idea about the docsis 3.1?

17 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Yes, you'll have better performances with 16x4 than with 8x4 channels. 

The 7620 specs:

WAN throughput: 680 Mbps

7610 specs:

WAN throughput: 343 Mbps

Also as ISP upgrade and improve there services, 8x4 and 16x4 will become out dated and some ISP will mandate or require the use of better modems with 24 or 32 channel support. Keep this in mind. 

A good modem list can be reviewed here:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

So, I should go with at least a 16x4 or 24x4? Also, I should find out about docsis 3.1 versus 3.0? I’m running the ping test on the duma with my 7610 & it shows no packet loss, “excellent” on ping, “good” on jitter & spikes. Is it necessary to still upgrade if these all show good?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

The 7620 was one that we supposedly needed to stay away from.....I think it was on the bad list of modems because of that whole puma 6 chip issue. I have no idea about the docsis 3.1?

Correct if the 7620 is in the bad list I would for sure stay away from it.. Anything with a puma chipset.. Specially if your a gamer.. Most cable companies are now or have deployed DOCSIS 3.1. And if deployed proper and dialed in correctly you would benefit from it.. But if you would rather play it safe then I would understand your reasoning in keeping with DOCSIS 3.0 modems..