Major Router Upgrade Now Available (v 1.03.5)

Netduma Fraser

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, I upgraded the router firmware and installed the new BO3 update.  I followed the instructions including changing from Playstation PA to Playstation.   I have Time Warner Cable with 50Mb download and 5Mb upload. I live in San Diego, California (southernmost part of California), I play on the PS4 hard wired to the R1 and played last night and today.  The games were extremely laggy even with a great ping.  I tried with geo filter off and on and it did not make a difference.  I kept getting huge pikes while in the game especially when engaging and enemy.  It is even way worse when I party up and get games on the east coast.

bandwidth set to 50 and 5 with preemptive

Reset distribution

CC at 70/70

ipv6 disabled

deep packets off

Auto cloud and bleeding edge enabled

Nobody else was home and using the internet

Here is an example of what I see on a consistent basis.  This was during a round and normal game play - not at startup, the end, half time, etc.  This is actually one of the better games.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69484020/BO3%20ping.png

After several hours of play today, I was never able to get a consistent game.  Even with low pings, I would transport while walking.  It would take 2-3 times to actually throw a grenade. People appeared out of nowhere.  The games would constantlyspike with the norm being between 300 to 500 mS - often up to 1 full second.  This was during the normal game play.  I expect those kinds of spikes at the start, half time, end and in the lobby.

After done, I decided to get on the laptop to do some work.  I noticed that it was very slow.  I did a speed test (speedtest.net) and noticed that my speeds were only ranging from 25-35 down and 2.5-4 up.   I did the test several times.  Of course the CC was set at 100/100.  I then decided to try reactive.  I did this test several times as well.  With reactive, I was able to get 50/5 almost every time.  

Why would reactive be so much better?  I thought preemptive as better for below 60Mb.   

Could this also be why I kept getting spikes within BO3, or is it just BO3?

• Netduma Staff

Quick question about mtu if my fragments start at 1472 should I Just leave it at 1500? Your soppose to add 28 right? I'm learning all about this tech stuff and it's pretty interesting.

If you send a packet and it fragments at 1472 then you should use the previous tested value that didn't fragment then add on 28 :)

• Netduma Staff

I have tried all the suggestions and still I only get half of my upload speed.

i avg around 110 before update.i did everything you mention

What speeds do you pay for?

Make sure you have:

1. Turbo mode ticked in miscellaneous settings.
  2. Reactive algorithm,
  3. Have share excess ticked.
  4. Have correct bandwidth entered.
  5. Have deep packet processing disabled.
  6. IPv6 disabled in LAN, WAN and Miscellaneous.
  7. Sliders are on 100%.

Make sure you have:

2. Reactive algorithm,
  7. Sliders are on 100%.

factory reset fix it for me,Thank!

I pay for 300/00.  I get those speeds when plugged directly into the verizon router.  When I plug into the R1 I get 300/150.  I have done all of the things below.

Make sure you have:

2. Reactive algorithm,
  7. Sliders are on 100%.

• Netduma Staff

I pay for 300/00.  I get those speeds when plugged directly into the verizon router.  When I plug into the R1 I get 300/150.  I have done all of the things below.

Can you confirm what you pay for and what you are getting :)

it works fine for me. from my understanding, i think there is always going to be lag compensation but what netduma does is reduces it by connecting you to the best connection and most times lag compensation will be in your favor u will always have some few games which lag compensation that will be against you. Netduma router will not completely elimate lag. everything in this world has a delay. the speed of light has a delay of 37ms with that being said guys. netduma rocks. it really working. shout out to ian, crossy and the netduma team. keep up the good work.

If you send a packet and it fragments at 1472 then you should use the previous tested value that didn't fragment then add on 28 :)

if it fragments at 1472, then test at 1471... and so on until it doesnt fragment. if it is fine at 1472 but fragments at 1473 then its 1472+28 [1500, which is max packet size anyway]

so curiously i played a bit with this today without the kids yelling in my ear the internet wasnt working.

so previously i had updated and the MTU went to [auto] and i was getting 44/3 on average [i pay for 60/4] and connected direct to modem i was getting 66/5 so calling ISP would be pointless. so i manually set the MTU to best test which ended up at 1500... network speeds then tested back at near direct modem connection again at 66/5. a few days later back down to 44/3 again and network devices had issues connecting. so this morning on a whim i changed MTU back to AUTO, bam! speeds back at 66/5 again!!! WTF??? something is off but i have no idea how. also there are 2 MTU settings on this router, one for the LAN and one for WAN. i did leave the LAN to manual 1500 settings and only changed the WAN back.

Yesterday, I upgraded the router firmware and installed the new BO3 update.  I followed the instructions including changing from Playstation PA to Playstation.   I have Time Warner Cable with 50Mb download and 5Mb upload. I live in San Diego, California (southernmost part of California), I play on the PS4 hard wired to the R1 and played last night and today.  The games were extremely laggy even with a great ping.  I tried with geo filter off and on and it did not make a difference.  I kept getting huge pikes while in the game especially when engaging and enemy.  It is even way worse when I party up and get games on the east coast.

bandwidth set to 50 and 5 with preemptive

Reset distribution

CC at 70/70

ipv6 disabled

deep packets off

Auto cloud and bleeding edge enabled

Nobody else was home and using the internet

Here is an example of what I see on a consistent basis.  This was during a round and normal game play - not at startup, the end, half time, etc.  This is actually one of the better games.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69484020/BO3%20ping.png

After several hours of play today, I was never able to get a consistent game.  Even with low pings, I would transport while walking.  It would take 2-3 times to actually throw a grenade. People appeared out of nowhere.  The games would constantlyspike with the norm being between 300 to 500 mS - often up to 1 full second.  This was during the normal game play.  I expect those kinds of spikes at the start, half time, end and in the lobby.

After done, I decided to get on the laptop to do some work.  I noticed that it was very slow.  I did a speed test (speedtest.net) and noticed that my speeds were only ranging from 25-35 down and 2.5-4 up.   I did the test several times.  Of course the CC was set at 100/100.  I then decided to try reactive.  I did this test several times as well.  With reactive, I was able to get 50/5 almost every time.  

Why would reactive be so much better?  I thought preemptive as better for below 60Mb.   

Could this also be why I kept getting spikes within BO3, or is it just BO3?

I did some more testing today.  I re-confirmed that the reactive settings provides better speed test results.  I then ran "Test Internet Connection" on the PS4 and PS3.  Each system is hard wired (separate cables) to different ports of the R1.   No matter what setting they are consistently giving me download speeds ranging from 1.5Mbps to 15 Mbps with uploads ranging from 100kpbs (yes kilo bits per second) to 1Mbps.  Typically, they range from 2-5Mbps down and 0.1Mbps to 0.5Mbps.  I reset my modem, R1 and both consoles before starting the testing.   I duplicated these tests on preemptive and reactive. During the tests, I had CC at 100% with share excess enabled with distribution reset before testing.  BTW - with distribution rest PS4 and PS3 are at 7%. I also tested with PS4 priority at 100% with share excess enabled and disabled. I also tried MTU set at 1500 on R1 and PS4.   I also re-setup the internet connections on the PS4.  I also performed a factor reset as the last option, which only seemed to make it worse.  Nothing would improve the tests.  Internet Diagnostics show exceptional for all categories with no loss.  Average ping around 15mS.

I also played BO3 with reactive and was getting ping spikes (300-500mS) which were coinciding with lags seen on the screen. 

On previous tests before the upgrade I got 25 to 35 Mbps downloads with 2-5 Mbps uploads.  

Yes, I know that the PS4/PS3 speed tests are not accurate and can be lower than actually getting, but I have never seen (or expect) them this low.  

If these speeds are truly what I am getting or even close, it could explain the problems that I am having with BO3 (especially the uploads).  

I did some more testing today.  I re-confirmed that the reactive settings provides better speed test results.  I then ran "Test Internet Connection" on the PS4 and PS3.  Each system is hard wired (separate cables) to different ports of the R1.   No matter what setting they are consistently giving me download speeds ranging from 1.5Mbps to 15 Mbps with uploads ranging from 100kpbs (yes kilo bits per second) to 1Mbps.  Typically, they range from 2-5Mbps down and 0.1Mbps to 0.5Mbps.  I reset my modem, R1 and both consoles before starting the testing.   I duplicated these tests on preemptive and reactive. During the tests, I had CC at 100% with share excess enabled with distribution reset before testing.  BTW - with distribution rest PS4 and PS3 are at 7%. I also tested with PS4 priority at 100% with share excess enabled and disabled. I also tried MTU set at 1500 on R1 and PS4.   I also re-setup the internet connections on the PS4.  I also performed a factor reset as the last option, which only seemed to make it worse.  Nothing would improve the tests.  Internet Diagnostics show exceptional for all categories with no loss.  Average ping around 15mS.

I also played BO3 with reactive and was getting ping spikes (300-500mS) which were coinciding with lags seen on the screen. 

On previous tests before the upgrade I got 25 to 35 Mbps downloads with 2-5 Mbps uploads.  

Yes, I know that the PS4/PS3 speed tests are not accurate and can be lower than actually getting, but I have never seen (or expect) them this low.  

If these speeds are truly what I am getting or even close, it could explain the problems that I am having with BO3 (especially the uploads).  

Did yet some further testing.  I bought a new Cat 6 cable just to rule out the cable, which did not make a difference.  I also tested the speed using the PS4 browser using testmy.net and speedof.me which do no require flash.  The browser tests were around 2 Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up.  

For the people with slower speed tests.

As listed in the set up guide/changes the device priority is now download and upload so if you prioritise the console your other devices that you are speed testing will be slower.

i got a much better understanding when i watched sims tube video yday and can now see why i wasn't hitting correct speeds with the device prioritisation, maybe the duma peeps should 

have a short video accompanying updates in future, i'm sure it could save a lot of hassle in the long run with the barrage of questions that follow.

Archived