ANNOUNCEMENT: The Netduma R2 is here

53 minutes ago, bake said:

What sort of parental controls does this have?

Thanks

Hi Bake. The joys of being a parent huh? I made a request to @Netduma Fraser a while ago during R2 Closed Beta so hopefully they will come up with something not sure when.

Definitely a very good idea. Adds real value considering its now staple on similar class competeing products. Not sure where this will stand in terms of priority but what I suggested in the lead up to a complete solution (filters dns etc), is an interim solution where clients can be given a daily allowance/budget of say Xhrs between (a user) defined time of say Y.am and Z.pm where online time is only used up when the client device is actually connected i.e. cumulative. This would allow kids to log in and out as many times but be required to manage their time carefully. Allowance can be increased/decresed too as a reward/consequence 😉.

Lets see where they go with it but ceratinly something that is in big demand for many households especially with kids in lockdown.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, bake said:

What sort of parental controls does this have?

Thanks

Hey, welcome to the forum!

With the Traffic Controller you can block/allow/limit the amount of time a device/devices can be on the internet as a whole, broken down by day/time or you could specify by choosing categories to block/allow at certain times so you could block gaming on the PS4 between 6-7pm Monday-Friday for example. There are some different categories like social media etc. We do want to do more in this space in the future. You can see a small video introducing it here: 

Hello,i ordered the r2 today. I would like to know something else. I have a Fritz box 7590 to which I would like to connect my managed switch. i would like to connect the r2 and my xr300 to the switch as an access point and all wifi devices are connected to the xr300. is the firewall at the Fritz box then active for the devices at the xr300? r2 will only be connected to ps4 for gaming. I will also distribute the bandwidth on the managed switch. 64mbit down 16 up for r2 and 128 down 16 up for the xr300.

thanks 

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, e32iL said:

Hello,i ordered the r2 today. I would like to know something else. I have a Fritz box 7590 to which I would like to connect my managed switch. i would like to connect the r2 and my xr300 to the switch as an access point and all wifi devices are connected to the xr300. is the firewall at the Fritz box then active for the devices at the xr300? r2 will only be connected to ps4 for gaming. I will also distribute the bandwidth on the managed switch. 64mbit down 16 up for r2 and 128 down 16 up for the xr300.

thanks 

To answer your question yes it still will be protected by the firewall. You're not really making the most of the features available to you though with that setup.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

To answer your question yes it still will be protected by the firewall. You're not really making the most of the features available to you though with that setup.

yes Fraser i know that it is not quite optimal but my ps4 is in the basement. with the xr300 i sometimes have problems with the wifi on the upper floors so i don't know how it will work with the r2. that's why I want to give it a try. I can do without the few Mbit and if there are major updates I will increase the bandwidth on the switch for the r2. I'll test it like this if it's nothing I'll just leave the switch off and connect the xr300 to the r2.

Hi I've recently  joined the forum  after  having  my xr500 for a year,  I recently watch John Glasscocks review video on the r2 ... which seem awesome...

Also mentioned about updating  the firmware to 3.0 I've sign up to the beta, how long would this take to confirm that I can update my current  firmware on the xr500...

Regards Daniel 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, cr1tch said:

Hi I've recently  joined the forum  after  having  my xr500 for a year,  I recently watch John Glasscocks review video on the r2 ... which seem awesome...

Also mentioned about updating  the firmware to 3.0 I've sign up to the beta, how long would this take to confirm that I can update my current  firmware on the xr500...

Regards Daniel 

Netgear decide on sending out the invites so very hard to say, it is a waiting game.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, JAIRITOX said:

Hello, a few years ago I acquired the r1 but due to the pppoe I could not have more than 100 mb having contracted 300, this has been solved with the r2?

Yes you can achieve faster speeds through the R2 with PPPoE.

1 hour ago, oomxqe said:

Is this compatible with any modem, I tried to hook it up with a spectrum modem and had difficulties turning it on. Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe the modem isn't fast enough for the Netduma R2?

It should be compatible with most any modem.Just not sure exactly what you mean by had difficulties turning on? Is your ISP Charter Spectrum?

Also make sure you make a new topic if your having trouble so you can get the help needed if your still experiencing issues.. That way your issue wont get over looked.

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, oomxqe said:

Is this compatible with any modem, I tried to hook it up with a spectrum modem and had difficulties turning it on. Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe the modem isn't fast enough for the Netduma R2?

Couldn't have said the above better myself! Thanks for creating a new topic, I will post there.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Bigred2809 said:

Hey, noob question.... 

do I need a separate ADSL modem for this?

i currently have BT fibre, and would replace their modem/router. 

You don't need a separate modem, you can plug the R2 directly into your existing BT Hub.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 7:45 AM, Newfie said:

No one is dropping AX. All that is happing is a new 6Ghz channel will be opened up and only AX devices will use that and only if they have the capacity to do so. No AC device will be able to use the 6Ghz channel so you will be spending a lot if you want to change devices.
The old argument of waiting has flaws as there is no way to truly future proof as chipsets develop and tech moves forward. OFCOM are already talking of WiFi 7 so do you wait for that. 
AX is not just about speed and using multiple devices at the same time with no delay, it’s better security, battery battery management for devices, can handle congestion interference better which is something that plagues old routers. Throughput is increased, and 5Ghz now has far better coverage and a capacity to handle more devices.
we’ve just seen the R9000 the daddy to the XR700 go end of life. Manufactures are pushing AX, even isps now supply AX to customers. 
then look at the speed of the processors and the instructions that can be handled. Good times ahead. 

it's now been confirmed after the ps5 teardown that it will be using 802.11ax clearly proving your point, it's definitely worth getting.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am sure I am a little late to this party. I currently have an R1 and am curious if the R2 has the wireless range of say my ISP router? For gaming I am sure the R2 is a god but for the little people in the house that are only concerned with wifi every where. How does it compare? Thanks in advance for any help here. Be safe!

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, secretface said:

So I am sure I am a little late to this party. I currently have an R1 and am curious if the R2 has the wireless range of say my ISP router? For gaming I am sure the R2 is a god but for the little people in the house that are only concerned with wifi every where. How does it compare? Thanks in advance for any help here. Be safe!

It is AC WiFi on the R2, we're making some WiFi improvements at the moment so if that is really important to you then maybe best to wait for the public firmware release due soon before purchase.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It is AC WiFi on the R2, we're making some WiFi improvements at the moment so if that is really important to you then maybe best to wait for the public firmware release due soon before purchase.

Hey Thanks for the quick reply. You guys are still the best.

Is the R2 available in Australia locally or will I need to import it? Does it come provided with a AU power plug adapter or will I need to find an adapter myself?  I know some high end Asus and Netgear routers come provided with different power plug adapters.

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, MrPotatoField said:

Is the R2 available in Australia locally or will I need to import it? Does it come provided with a AU power plug adapter or will I need to find an adapter myself?  I know some high end Asus and Netgear routers come provided with different power plug adapters.

We do not sell in retail so it would have to be imported. We offer 3 working day shipping to Australia from netduma.com. We will provide an AUS adapter for you so that you are able to use the router right away.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

We do not sell in retail so it would have to be imported. We offer 3 working day shipping to Australia from netduma.com. We will provide an AUS adapter for you so that you are able to use the router right away.

Hi Fraser,

That's wonderful to hear. I will purchase straight away.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:54 PM, Kostas83 said:

This the big question also for me... I use netgear products almost 20 years now... and I can say that is very solid products! My first router is still working!! But they have very very very slow release to fix problems with firmware updates... on the other hand we have Duma! This the reason I bought the XR500. For the software! Now with the R2 they have the opportunity to have a stable machine (imagine Netgear give some advise how to built the hardware) and the freedom to push firmware upgrades quickly!! I really start to think 🤔 to sell my XR500 and purchase the R2. 

Sold my Xr500 and got the R2 yesterday ... not waiting any longer