Fix for "DumaOS not loaded yet!" (XR500 users only)

• Administrators

Can you access at all via routerlogin.net or routerlogin.net/adv_index.htm? If not do a factory reset by holding the reset button for 30 seconds and then leave the router for 2 minutes and try to connect. If that doesn't work try and go through the TFTP process again.

No, I am not able to access it through either of those links.  I have tried the TFTP process 5 times now on version 56 and twice on version 32.  

This router is now 1 year and 1 month old which puts it out of Netgear's warranty.  To complicate things, I am moving out of the country in 12 days and with the holiday I cannot see how I would be able to get a replacement in time even if Netgear did cover it.  This honestly could not have come at a worse time.  

This router was perfectly fine until whatever you changes you made.  Unless you can get me a new router before 12/29, I'm going to be stuck with a $270 paperweight which would most definitely be my last Netgear and/or Duma product.  Not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm genuinely stunned at how this could have happened.

I will do that, I have to much configured ATM and really don't have the time to factory reset everything and start over.

I will do backup and reset maybe this weekend, ATM its working other than the above so I will leave it alone till I can tolerate being down without affecting work and online classes.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, api said:

No, I am not able to access it through either of those links.  I have tried the TFTP process 5 times now on version 56 and twice on version 32.  

This router is now 1 year and 1 month old which puts it out of Netgear's warranty.  To complicate things, I am moving out of the country in 12 days and with the holiday I cannot see how I would be able to get a replacement in time even if Netgear did cover it.  This honestly could not have come at a worse time.  

This router was perfectly fine until whatever you changes you made.  Unless you can get me a new router before 12/29, I'm going to be stuck with a $270 paperweight which would most definitely be my last Netgear and/or Duma product.  Not trying to be a jerk here, but I'm genuinely stunned at how this could have happened.

I don't really understand how a reboot could have prevented you gaining any access to the interface. I have passed this on to the team to see if they have anything to suggest or want to take a look themselves. Sorry for the inconvienience.

Notice though, that I'm not the only person in this situation - a couple of people in this thread have run into situations where they couldn't access the interface.  The difference with mine is that the TFTP fix isn't actually fixing it.  

Just tried the TFTP process on another computer (different OS, different network chipset).  Now all I'm getting is a power light - nothing at all on the LAN ports.

Update - the power light sat orange for a bit and just went to solid white.

Update 2 - I can finally get to the web interface on it!  Might be getting somewhere...

Ok, it looks like it's back up and going for now.  I'll let you know if anything else comes up.  Not sure what was different this time around with the TFTP stuff...

A couple of things to note - my laptop uses a USB-C to Ethernet adapter (Realtek) whereas the second computer I used is an Intel NUC with an Intel I218-LM chipset.  Also, I moved the network cable from Eth1 to Eth4.  Lastly, the NUC has Windows 7 on it whereas the laptop has Windows 10.  

Guest Killhippie

I find it really disturbing you have control over the theme of a router and it does this much damage and people cannot block that update, feels wrong. Surely its their hardware and their choice. This API Im assuming (I may be wrong) you used should ask people if they want to update via the interface, like with the GUI language ones although they are rare. All of this  makes wonder ultimately about the the routers security from bad actors. I guess you have hardware access written into in the EULA that nobody reads.Did this happen even if people have auto firmware update turned off? (most sensible setting to change so as not to get your router bricked)

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I find it really disturbing you have control over the theme of a router and it does this much damage and people cannot block that update, feels wrong. Surely its their hardware and their choice. This API Im assuming (I may be wrong) you used should ask people if they want to update via the interface, like with the GUI language ones although they are rare. All of this  makes wonder ultimately about the the routers security from bad actors. I guess you have hardware access written into in the EULA that nobody reads.Did this happen even if people have auto firmware update turned off? (most sensible setting to change so as not to get your router bricked)

Got to say I agree. I’m fine here after a reboot and I’ve turned auto update off which I’m taking it does prevent this from happening but would be nice to have confirmation.

I'll try and explain as best I can without revealing secrets about DumaOS 3.0.

It was a problem on our cloud server, a developer pushed an update to our cloud which caused the interface not to load. The cloud update was bugged for a few hours. We had to get one of our developers to come in at midnight to get it sorted out ASAP.

It's worth noting that none of the backend functionality of the router was affected, it was just the user's ability to access the interface.

Some people have expressed concerns that if the servers were ever to go down, that their routers would stop working. This isn't the case, all that would happen in that situation is that you would receive no more cloud updates.

The cloud update system is what we use to expand the amount of games supported by the router. This was a case of human error, and it's taught us never to do any testing using the live server!

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I have auto update off. Always have. Yes this still happened to me. So they can always push these updates regardless.

i also have auto update off and this issue hit me as well, just noticed today that error message on the admin interface, lol.

i think another option is necessary to block ALL cloud updates if you don't want them - it is a security risk if this cloud server gets compromised.  imagine what may be injected into all xr routers if an overflow is found?? dangerous and very concerning.

anyway, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to fix it without a reboot. you know me, JUST SAY NO TO FACTORY RESET AND REBOOTS!

luckily, http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm still worked.  was able to enable telnet...

root@XR500:/# /rom/etc/init.d/./dumaos stop
root@XR500:/# /rom/etc/init.d/./dumaos start

go back to http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm and disable telnet

all back up and running ... no reboot, no factory reset :)

i hope this next update fixes all the problems w/qos and device manager :(

For clarification, the auto-update option is in Netgear's section of the firmware. It will update whenever Netgear releases a new firmware.

The cloud update system is something built into DumaOS (seperate part of the firmware) which covers minor updates to device definitions, geo-filter map and so on.

Good evening,

I had the problem of the XR500 "DumaOS not loaded yet" like many people, I followed the manipulation that fraser had given me back to the firmware

2.3.2.32 and after 2.3.2.56 and its working for me problem solved thank you to the netduma team for the solution 😉

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

For clarification, the auto-update option is in Netgear's section of the firmware. It will update whenever Netgear releases a new firmware.

The cloud update system is something built into DumaOS (seperate part of the firmware) which covers minor updates to device definitions, geo-filter map and so on.

Thats no excuse for not being more upfront about having that capability and not giving people the option of a 'not now'  solution. Cloud updates were assumed to be for gaming updates mostly and the odd geo filter update not crashing the interface! Sounds like DumaoS 3.0 will be talking to the mothership even more, not sure how I feel about that considering what just happened. Also I hope this cloud stuff (not keen on remote servers talking to my home routers these days) is over https. There is no way a routers GUI should go down because of a hidden update the users cant block and causing the user base to have to reboot, some people have big families and this router may be in the middle of streaming files game updates, downloading critical patches for operating systems etc, its not all about gaming. This really should have been a small update people could have downloaded like the GUI language updates at their leisure over the update system via Netgear, who may have caught the fatal error before you released it (unlikely) but you never know...

So can I just reflash the latest firmware without having to downgrade?  I figured that would save a step.  Or, can I just leave it and wait for the next firmware?  I can still use the advanced settings page.  

On 12/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, Netduma Alex said:

"minor updates" .. which might kill access to the device (yes yes, i know it was still allowing internet access - which in my case was degraded by about 5% until the device was rebooted). Like others i'm concerned you have a backdoor into the routers. Why do "you" feel that you need to have this method of updates, when conventially they are pulled rather than pushed? I hope the measures you're taking to stop this happening again are changing these updates to pull rather than push .. or at least make it optional, otherwise this router is going back or into the bin.

• Administrators
On 12/23/2019 at 5:35 AM, EndoNova said:

So can I just reflash the latest firmware without having to downgrade?  I figured that would save a step.  Or, can I just leave it and wait for the next firmware?  I can still use the advanced settings page.  

You should just be able to do a reboot and then if it's still not working properly clearing the cache/cookies should work.

15 hours ago, Rabidstoat said:

"minor updates" .. which might kill access to the device (yes yes, i know it was still allowing internet access - which in my case was degraded by about 5% until the device was rebooted). Like others i'm concerned you have a backdoor into the routers. Why do "you" feel that you need to have this method of updates, when conventially they are pulled rather than pushed? I hope the measures you're taking to stop this happening again are changing these updates to pull rather than push .. or at least make it optional, otherwise this router is going back or into the bin.

The cloud system is there for parts of the router that would need updating frequently, instead of releasing minor firmware releases every week. The parts of the router this affects shouldn't ever cause issues with the routers functionality itself. As mentioned we've ensured this won't happen again.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You should just be able to do a reboot and then if it's still not working properly clearing the cache/cookies should work.

The cloud system is there for parts of the router that would need updating frequently, instead of releasing minor firmware releases every week. The parts of the router this affects shouldn't ever cause issues with the routers functionality itself. As mentioned we've ensured this won't happen again.

Sorry .. but "shouldn't" and "won't" doesn't cut it.  And what's wrong with releasing minor fireware updates each week on an optional basis- like, i dunno, practically everyone else ?

and it didnt affect the router - performance was down until it was rebooted.

I'm not sure there are many network components that are updated from the "cloud" without the option of stopping it. You're lucky this is a primarily a gaming device and not a professional product.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:06 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the feedback, we will take it on board and sorry for the inconvinience it caused you. By affect I meant it didn't affect the internet which is what most people would be concerned with immediately.

Fraser I have to ask are these cloud updates at least being done over https? This is an answer I feel needs to be asked. I get this is a gaming router but I sure hope Cloud Updates are over a secured connection. 

Also why does this router rely so heavily on clearing ones browser cache and cookies? I have beta tested a lot of routers over time and I honestly have never seen so much talk about browser cache and cookies. I have the XR500 and this type of talk doesn't scream superior to me at all. And the fact ive never run across this before from other routers might mean its not a good idea. So when I log into my router does it make a connection through my browser to some server every time I login? Is the router trying to make a connection to a server? How about when one flushes the cloud on the Geo Filter? Is it trying to communicate to a server for these cloud or profile updates? Also what about these R-Apps. Why is it these start to take longer to load? Are those only communicating between me and my browser/router? Those aren't trying to communicate outside to some server are they?

Thanks

Zippy.