Fix for "DumaOS not loaded yet!" (XR500 users only)

• Administrators

I'm almost certain they are but I can ask the team to be sure. Some aspects are saved within cookies as they're more user preference rather than critical to the features e.g. switching between miles/kilometres on the Geo-Filter and so that means less strain on the router - obviously that example wouldn't strain the router but I think you get what I mean. As we add more features it's about squeezing the most out of the router as possible. No, you don't always have a connection to the cloud, periodically the router will connect to the cloud to check it has the latest Geo-Filter database for example, if it has the latest version then the connection is terminated until next time. If it doesn't then it will download this and then terminate the connection. When you use the flush cloud button you make a manual connection to the server and re-download the database regardless.

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled upon this problem when I was trying to login to the CP for my XR500. The router's front panel was blinking with red LEDs and I wanted to check what's going on. 

First off, what is routerlogin.net and why is my router redirecting to it from 192.168.1.1? And why is that page asking my admin credentials via un-encrypted (non-https) connection? Is that how firmware/theme/whatever is auto-updated too?

Thirdly, how do I disable any auto-updates on this thing? This is ridiculous.

PS. I'm afraid to touch it now in fear of messing up my internet during the quarantine!

• Administrators
On 3/29/2020 at 5:46 AM, dc2020 said:

I just stumbled upon this problem when I was trying to login to the CP for my XR500. The router's front panel was blinking with red LEDs and I wanted to check what's going on. 

First off, what is routerlogin.net and why is my router redirecting to it from 192.168.1.1? And why is that page asking my admin credentials via un-encrypted (non-https) connection? Is that how firmware/theme/whatever is auto-updated too?

Thirdly, how do I disable any auto-updates on this thing? This is ridiculous.

PS. I'm afraid to touch it now in fear of messing up my internet during the quarantine!

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Routerlogin.net is a local URL used as an alternative to access the interface instead of the LAN IP. As it is a local URL it cannot be accessed using the internet - if you try to connect to it using a non Netgear router it will redirect to an internet URL instead. 

You can disable Auto Updates from Settings > Administration. Do you still have the original issue?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Routerlogin.net is a local URL used as an alternative to access the interface instead of the LAN IP. As it is a local URL it cannot be accessed using the internet - if you try to connect to it using a non Netgear router it will redirect to an internet URL instead. 

You can disable Auto Updates from Settings > Administration. Do you still have the original issue?

I haven't done anything. And no, I still can't log in. I'll wait until this quarantine is over before I do anything. I don't want to be left without a router. The Wi-Fi seems to work, it's just that the front LEDs glow like a Xmas tree.

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, dc2020 said:

I haven't done anything. And no, I still can't log in. I'll wait until this quarantine is over before I do anything. I don't want to be left without a router. The Wi-Fi seems to work, it's just that the front LEDs glow like a Xmas tree.

A reboot or factory reset should definitely resolve it as it is quite a common error but I totally appreciate you don't want to rock the boat at the moment.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Position said:

I will do that, I have to much configured ATM and really don't have the time to factory reset everything and start over.

I have exact same issue. I used all kinds of settings, passwords, etc. Doing a factory reset will make all phones connecting to it not work (needing new password setup, which is a major pain of its own) so it's an added headache of resetting to factory condition. So far I've been using it with that blinky red light on. But I can't wait to get to the CP to rip out that annoying automatic update thing. Never again!!!!! In my view companies need to be sued for doing this kinda stuff behind our backs .....

5 hours ago, dc2020 said:

I have exact same issue. I used all kinds of settings, passwords, etc. Doing a factory reset will make all phones connecting to it not work (needing new password setup, which is a major pain of its own) so it's an added headache of resetting to factory condition. So far I've been using it with that blinky red light on. But I can't wait to get to the CP to rip out that annoying automatic update thing. Never again!!!!! In my view companies need to be sued for doing this kinda stuff behind our backs .....

It’s very easy to reset. You use the same credentials as before and hey presto all your devices connect straight away. A straight forward reset with no reserved lists takes no more than 10mins. It’s the same with most routers. Yes you have to redo your settings but hey it’s a gaming router with software to match. If you struggle you need a different router with a more basic UI that’s easier to quickly setup. It take me 10 mins at most to set up my RAX120. 

Auto updates are on as end users don’t often do manual checks or understand why firmwares are needed. You can simply go into the UI and disable this. There’s nothing hidden or doing it without your consent. 

it sounds like you have never logged in asking your questions. How did you set this router up to start with? 

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

It’s very easy to reset....

Listen buddy you're not the one to tell me what to do with my f'ing router. Sure I can reset it, but the question is why do I need to worry about doing it? Is it because someone at some company decided to push their "latest-and-greatest" UI update that totally borged it. And who the heck writes that software too? A bunch of kindergartners? Did they even test that update before pushing it to devices. This is the rule #1 of any decent company that wants to stay in business.

Plus another issue I have with your statement. And devs really need to beat it into their thick skulls -- there are two types of updates out there: 1) security updates and 2) other fluff (like "UI" improvements and such.) And the rule #1 of any self respecting company is NOT to mix the two. Otherwise your updates will be relegated into a recycling bin. It's OK to push a critical security update behind the scenes (provided it doesn't belly-up the system -- case-in-point) but it IS NOT OK to push a UI update like that. That one requires user's permission.

4 minutes ago, dc2020 said:

Listen buddy you're not the one to tell me what to do with my f'ing router. Sure I can reset it, but the question is why do I need to worry about doing it? Is it because someone at some company decided to push their "latest-and-greatest" UI update that totally borged it. And who the heck writes that software too? A bunch of kindergartners? Did they even test that update before pushing it to devices. This is the rule #1 of any decent company that wants to stay in business.

Plus another issue I have with your statement. And devs really need to beat it into their thick skulls -- there are two types of updates out there: 1) security updates and 2) other fluff (like "UI" improvements and such.) And the rule #1 of any self respecting company is NOT to mix the two. Otherwise your updates will be relegated into a recycling bin. It's OK to push a critical security update behind the scenes (provided it doesn't belly-up the system -- case-in-point) but it IS NOT OK to push a UI update like that. That one requires user's permission.

Well  I can’t really help you. This router is a combination of NG and Netduma, so firmwares are supplied under one roof. I would suggest if you don’t have luck with this router maybe try a nice basic one that’s easier to understand. You clearly don’t understand low level coding which needs clearing at times.still that’s routers, if you want SNB is a good site to learn why a reset is required. I’ll let you google that as it’s good for you to research yourself for more understanding.

you should do more research and perhaps read the manuals from support so you understand a bit more about the XR routers. Good luck.

Guest Killhippie
On 5/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, dc2020 said:

First off language like that is not needed, secondly as to some of your questions like how to disable auto updates I think this is a case of RTFM! Have a nice day.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, dc2020 said:

We don't force updates on users, especially not on the Netduma R1 which lacks an auto-update feature. We allow our users to freely upgrade and downgrade to any version as they see fit. This is different to many products which require reverse engineering in order to downgrade.

Separating security and UI updates would be impractical, because we'd have to make multiple different versions for every iteration of the UI, every time there was a security update. Not to mention all of the interlinked dependencies, it's a potential nightmare.

Well that's with the current system anyway, but we're planning on separating updates for various features out into their own update streams at some point, meaning that firmware updates will become more security and system focused. This also means that if you don't want to update QoS because you don't like our latest interface changes, you don't have to.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

We don't force updates on users, especially not on the Netduma R1 which lacks an auto-update feature. We allow our users to freely upgrade and downgrade to any version as they see fit. This is different to many products which require reverse engineering in order to downgrade.

Separating security and UI updates would be impractical, because we'd have to make multiple different versions for every iteration of the UI, every time there was a security update. Not to mention all of the interlinked dependencies, it's a potential nightmare.

Well that's with the current system anyway, but we're planning on separating updates for various features out into their own update streams at some point, meaning that firmware updates will become more security and system focused. This also means that if you don't want to update QoS because you don't like our latest interface changes, you don't have to.

It was you at Netduma that caused this though with a forced GUI update though the cloud update feature though Alex! Also I have not found a router yet that cant be downgraded with a simple download of the previous firmware 🤨

• Administrators
On 6/1/2020 at 2:49 PM, Killhippie said:

It was you at Netduma that caused this though with a forced GUI update though the cloud update feature though Alex! Also I have not found a router yet that cant be downgraded with a simple download of the previous firmware 🤨

That was for a theme setting, it wouldn't have forced you to use a theme (not currently available anyway). We've since moved away from that method and so it won't be an issue again.

Guest Killhippie
On 6/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That was for a theme setting, it wouldn't have forced you to use a theme (not currently available anyway). We've since moved away from that method and so it won't be an issue again.

You can call it what you want but the act of upgrading without user interaction took place which caused this issue, so no matter which way you slice it its called a forced update as you updated the software/firmware. Simple as that, Fraser as in your post below.

"We had a temporary problem tonight which caused XR500 users to see a white screen which says 'DumaOS not loaded yet'. This is now fixed. You just need to reboot your router and the problem should be gone.

Please post in this thread if this solves your problem as we have developers waiting to make sure this is 100% fixed for all.

If you followed our workaround earlier and downgraded to firmware version 2.3.2.32, you can upgrade back to the latest version (.56) and you should be able to access the interface as per usual. The latest firmware is here: https://kb.netgear.com/000061157/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-56

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope you can all now get back to tinkering your DumaOS :)"

• 1 month later...

not sure if it's related..

I've closed the browser, cleaned cache and cookie..
nonetheless Duma dont let me in 😄

But the error is different.

I'll try to reboot later

Alain

image.thumb.png.c0dd88415d19507f1e6281de3d05a8a9.png

• Administrators

Was this after changing a particular setting or was it just like that when you next went to access it? Are you on the .56 firmware?

A reboot should resolve it, let us know if it doesn't.

No, no changing.
Last time I went to Duma was 6 days ago to check the speed of one of my LAN cable.
PC was acting strange.
On Duma I discovered that Lan4  was down to (!!! 10m !!!)
then I changed a 25cm Cat6 cable.
It was new and faulty 😄 

I rebooted 5 minutes ago.. the the router is not coming back.

I can write because Pc switched on Cell Wifi

Alain
UPD:
Rebooted twice and now I can access Duma again.

In the process I've lost the capacity to ping 8.8.8.8 dns.google !!!🙄

• 4 months later...

I updated the firmware around a month ago to the beta 3.0 firmware and im still getting this issue. 

3.0 firmware did a fix a few of my issues that i have with this router but its no way near the price tag i paid for it. 

XR500 is extremely slow going from section to section. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dialatech said:

I updated the firmware around a month ago to the beta 3.0 firmware and im still getting this issue. 

3.0 firmware did a fix a few of my issues that i have with this router but its no way near the price tag i paid for it. 

XR500 is extremely slow going from section to section. 

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading to the beta as that is advised.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading to the beta as that is advised.

Do you mean doing a factory before applying the beta firmware. if so then yes i did. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Dialatech said:

i have done a factory reset and the issue is still there. This router was the waste of 250 pound. 

Clear your browser cache/cookies, make sure there is no adblocker on the web browser and if there is disable/whitelist it for the interface. Any Anti-Virus/Firewall applications on the PC that isn't the built in Windows firewall make sure the interface is whitelisted if it affects the web. 

Then in System Information page in the Rapp panel options change the number of retries to 5 and reboot.