trying to fix lagcomp expiriment

kinel

Placebo for sure.

Chances are they lost/did bad 5 games in a row then got SBMMed into a lower lobby.

I gave it a chance and I don't notice a difference. High ping players still break the game and produce visually incorrect situations. My hit reg is the same, fine against everyone except high ping players.

They are desyncing their hit boxes from their actual player module.

See video for a vague interpretation 

Tbh I think it happens when they have a lot of jitter, because then lag compensation simply can't keep up. But that might be a desync issue with what is drawn on the client screen versus the data the server has, because it came in late. If you watch the video from Battlenonsense, and do some calculations they have basicly brought down the interpolation delay between players to 1 update / frame. Otherwise you can't achieve a 80ms player to player delay with 2 people playing at 27ms ping. If one has jitter the server misses his updates and is guessing at his position.

From my testing & reading, there is basicly 2 components to lag compensation.

First the one that makes sure you can actually hit your opponent. Ie Player A moves but Player B shoots at where A used to be (because of the delay from A to server and from server to B ) Then the server rewinds time and validates the hit.

The issue with this is (depends on who you are LOL) is that is still heavily favors the low latency player. Ie in the following scenario:

Player A 100ms RTT

Player B 10ms RTT

Now when A comes out of cover he has a 55ms window where B cant see him yet and shoot at him. But his shots also take 50ms to reach the server. With a 200ms TTK weapon B could be dead at T = 255ms. However. Assuming B was preaimed, B can shoot back and kill A in 200ms, plus 5ms to the server, and A could be dead in T = 255ms. Pretty fair scenario.

Now reverse the above. B comes out of cover, has a 55ms window to shoot at A, without A seeing him. But his bullets hit in 5ms. So A could be dead in T= 205ms. A doesn't see B yet, until T= 55ms, returns fire and has 50ms latency to the host. So B could be dead in T = 305ms. 

B should win in almost every scenario.

But there is another mechanism in place, you can google this 'Artificial Latency Balancing' Basically it means that in the same scenario B simply gets a artificial latency penalty of 45ms applied to his shots, and probably also to his and the other players movements. That's why you get these wonky killcams, the server knew he was there but was delaying this info.

There is probably some minimum and maximum value for compensation (like if there is a 200ms player in the lobby they won't count him unless it's a 1v1)

This also explains what I am seeing when playing with my ICS setup. When I feel lag compensation is wonky I just dial up ping to 100 or 120 ms and then the game seems to play smoother. But I don't feel any further degradation in hit detection. If I leave that setting and get into a lobby where players have low latency I can sense they are ahead, turn my ping down to 40ms and all is fine again.

I have to try more with assymetrical latency and jitter and see what that gives. And maybe measure the amount of frames between shots and hitmarkers. But I think that this latency balancing is the culprit. 

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

This also explains what I am seeing when playing with my ICS setup. When I feel lag compensation is wonky I just dial up ping to 100 or 120 ms and then the game seems to play smoother. But I don't feel any further degradation in hit detection. If I leave that setting and get into a lobby where players have low latency I can sense they are ahead, turn my ping down to 40ms and all is fine again.

How do you do this in a middle of a game?

1 hour ago, Bert said:

But I think that this latency balancing is the culprit. 

Bert I think your totally right on this as when I've played on p2p 60 20 tickrate you can see the players on geo and they are very close to me

You can still force p2p by blocking all servers before you start the game (home in the ocean strick on ping assist 0)

Then expand geo before you search

But I can take up to 5mins to find games

Since the update its harded to

I haven't tried this for MW yet, forcing P2P.

But we used to do it for WW2 in Asia. And you always had faster hitdetection on a 120ms p2p host compared to the Dedicated server at 107ms. That suggests that this latency balancing is not there in P2P games, only on dedicated servers. P2P games do compensate for host advantage though.

2 hours ago, Grafti said:

How do you do this in a middle of a game?

You use a PC and a console.

The PC needs to have 2 network ports or wifi. You connect 1 port to the Netduma and 1 port to your console. Then turn on Internet Connection sharing.

In DumaOS call your PC a games console and add it to the geofilter, port forwarding etc. Forward ports in windows ICS and voila.

Now you can use wireshark to capture traffic and you can also run a connection emulator to add additional latency. I use SoftPerfect Connection Emulator. It lets you target a specific protocol like UDP and a specific port if you want to. But CoD MW seems to be changing it's ports every time so I just delay all UDP. You can adjust the latency values while it's running.

7 hours ago, Corbula said:

How do you forward the ports like this on the original software? You can only do start port and end port. 

You are correct you can only do start port and end port so you have to do the ports indavidually

I prefer this way myself  because its open one at a time not a massive range of ports at once

If your using the original  fw you  can see what ports the game usess yourself

Then put them in traffic prioritization 

You can pick either source or destination or both  you shoudl click both

You can see what ports the game uses in network monitor

Corbula let me know if it helps you 

In this thread thers a link to a post from me that show you better what to do

5 hours ago, progprogprog said:

For anyone interested in doing this as I have tried it using openwrt

search for a package called netem

Only works on linux or openwrt/lede

https://netbeez.net/blog/how-to-use-the-linux-traffic-control/

Im pretty sure in the  new update that this programme might be in it  

i rember reading iian responding to a post of a user asking for this 

And i think iian said there working on it

Progprogprog

Have you tried this out by delaying the ingress  instead of the egress

Becuse to me it egress would delay your bullets

I would love to try this myself but i recently tried to uprade my older router to open wrt 

But i think i bricked it  atm i trying to work out how to fix it

People, how are you hanging gun fights? Because for me is nearly impossible to win a single one. I’m forced to keep distances, because is the only way to kill... hopping that the enemy hasn’ t seen me at the same time that I have seen him, because if he did... I’m dead

Kinel

I hope you get it fix mate

Maybe try ebay and search for homehub 5 lede

That's what I use combined with vpn policy routing to split both of my connections adsl and 4g for heavy downloads e.t.c

The homehub 5 has a built in vdsl modem which works great on openwrt

Most importantly is maintaining low jitter to keep MW playing nice I find

IMG-20191202-WA0009.jpeg

Screenshot_20191203-000326_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, progprogprog said:

You take your base ping e.g 13ms then add say between 50-100ms for a starter

e.g 13ms and 37 will give you a base ping of 50ms

Copy and paste into a program called putty this script

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 200ms

Some may called this fixing, while other called this cheating.

The question is, are there any different?

Homehub 5   im not sure if it supports talktalk

Plust i was reading guide to install  you have to solder  i cant solder and dont have the eqipment to try it  

I have a huawei hg 612 modem i need to keep this in my setup

What has g imp on it

G imp turns interleaved off  to more or less creates fastpagh profile

Zennon told me about this a few years ago

Also does netdeem run on open wrt

As i cant get open wrt /lede

2 hours ago, faulko said:

What about port 9308.

Which port forward strategy should i be using for that.

I use udnp not portforwarding

I put 9308 9307 9306 udp into traffic prioratization

1 hour ago, kinel said:

Homehub 5   im not sure if it supports talktalk

Plust i was reading guide to install  you have to solder  i cant solder and dont have the eqipment to try it

A friend of mine is currently using his with talk talk so could ask him for the config if you like?

You can buy them pre flashed then update to 19.07

There is something to this all. I changed my settings last night and the game felt very different.  In a nutshell seems like Anti Bufferbloat is causing a delay putting us behind in the game.  These settings have a big impact on Hit Detection.   

The Duma team has to really look into this as to why the Anti Bufferbloat is doing more harm than good in MW.  

OK this topic needs to be a sticky but in a new thread with a basic setup of what we know is working for both Xbox and PS4.  Some basic instructions of what the new people need to do.  Call it a Modern Warfare "Workaround" for now.  

22 hours ago, progprogprog said:

You take your base ping e.g 13ms then add say between 50-100ms for a starter

e.g 13ms and 37 will give you a base ping of 50ms

Copy and paste into a program called putty this script

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 200ms

I just fixed my router and put a lede  build on my router

How do i get netem