Netduma R2 User Guide - Did you find it useful?

Netduma Jack

Netduma R2 User Guide - Did you find it useful?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. When you first received your Netduma R2, did you find your physical user guide useful? (If you didn't open the guide, select Didn't Open)

• Yes
    • No
    • Didn't Open
    • Didn't receive one
  2. 2. Would you prefer a 20 page Booklet explaining each feature, or a single-page Quick Start guide?

• I would prefer a 20 page Booklet format explaining each feature
    • I would prefer a one page quick-start guide
    • Not Sure

• Netduma Staff

Hi Guys - just trying to collect feedback about the user guide for the R2. If you want to let us know what you thought of it leave a comment, and please answer the poll above if you want to have your say!

R2_User_Manual_14.pdf

Guest Killhippie
10 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Guys - just trying to collect feedback about the user guide for the R2. If you want to let us know what you thought of it leave a comment, and please answer the poll above if you want to have your say!

Can you add 'didn't receive one' to the first post, Jack?

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Added

Fraser silly question here.. Can I ask what guide this is being spoken about? Is it something I have missed? Would like to look it over and give some feedback..

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Fraser silly question here.. Can I ask what guide this is being spoken about? Is it something I have missed? Would like to look it over and give some feedback..

Thanks!

Zippy.

Yes for the people who have bought the R2 they will have received a user guide in the box, so we're just asking for some feedback on that. I'll try and get you a PDF.

Given a rundown of the features is a nice touch. Flipping from one page to the next. As it's not just RIGHT AT YOU. You can take your time and go through the features one by one. Especially, alongside with the tour when setting it up. Great work.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes for the people who have bought the R2 they will have received a user guide in the box, so we're just asking for some feedback on that. I'll try and get you a PDF.

No worries Fraser.. Just wanted to make sure I didnt miss something.. 

Thanks my friend! 

Zippy.

4 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

This is just my opinion but I don't see a reason why we couldn't have both. Some people prefer a more in depth booklet / instruction guide and some will prefer a quick start booklet and learn on the fly with the guide. I read the guide again and went through the tutorial and I've had the Duma since 2014 but a refresher never hurt anyone, along with the new features. So IMO why not do both because everyone will have different preferences on how they wish to research information, again just my opinion

I must admit liked the booklet although 1 major issue with it no guide on how to reset the router if you have a issues or need to.

i know the forums and support are there and it’s really easy to do. But allways good to have a copy at hand for people who don’t :)

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, trmin343 said:

I must admit liked the booklet although 1 major issue with it no guide on how to reset the router if you have a issues or need to.

i know the forums and support are there and it’s really easy to do. But allways good to have a copy at hand for people who don’t :)

If you hadn't seen on the forum what to do would you have known to use the reset button in the back of the router at all?

31 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you hadn't seen on the forum what to do would you have known to use the reset button in the back of the router at all?

I’m sure people would know by looking at the router. But my question is how long do u press the button? Does the router show it’s resetting ie does lights go off ?

many pin hole reset some require 3 seconds pressing some 7-10 some 30 seconds when everyone has differences in minor stuff having a small reset guide in a booklet is a must

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, trmin343 said:

I’m sure people would know by looking at the router. But my question is how long do u press the button? Does the router show it’s resetting ie does lights go off ?

many pin hole reset some require 3 seconds pressing some 7-10 some 30 seconds when everyone has differences in minor stuff having a small reset guide in a booklet is a must

Gotcha, thanks for the feedback! I would suggest 30 seconds personally to ensure it has reset properly.

-

I have attached the Manual for anyone that wants a digital copy of it.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Elite Gaming Arena said:

Come on guys we are in 2020, Its Multi-media age and we are thinking of booklets. All we need a Netduma R2 YouTube channel and each function described by the professional person. It will save thousands of man hour trouble shooting each user problems.

Every physical purchase you buy has some sort of instructions in, this is no different. Especially with a networking product it's important to show how to connect it to your network correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

So I am a new user, just received the R2 yesterday. Not very network savvy, but the youtube video sold me. I don't think a full booklet would do much for me as the information may be outdated over time and I rather they save that money and invest it in more updates/features. Although, I would have appreciated a more clear link to where in the forum to go for help. The forum can be overwhelming as a first time user. 

The knowledge base page was a great resource and if you at least mentioned that link and said Go Here for details on Optimal Settings, that may have helped. I tripped over it and found it very useful, but didn't see that in the booklet. This is more of a user experience issue. I did find it odd nothing told me how to properly reset the unit. I tried 30 seconds and when that didn't work I was really confused. May have reduced my panic when I couldn't get it to reset. Luckily, I found a random website that said to try 30/30/30...but that should be in the booklet. That's critical. I was already regretting my purchase when the 30 sec reset didn't work. 

Just some feedback...

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, felipe said:

So I am a new user, just received the R2 yesterday. Not very network savvy, but the youtube video sold me. I don't think a full booklet would do much for me as the information may be outdated over time and I rather they save that money and invest it in more updates/features. Although, I would have appreciated a more clear link to where in the forum to go for help. The forum can be overwhelming as a first time user. 

The knowledge base page was a great resource and if you at least mentioned that link and said Go Here for details on Optimal Settings, that may have helped. I tripped over it and found it very useful, but didn't see that in the booklet. This is more of a user experience issue. I did find it odd nothing told me how to properly reset the unit. I tried 30 seconds and when that didn't work I was really confused. May have reduced my panic when I couldn't get it to reset. Luckily, I found a random website that said to try 30/30/30...but that should be in the booklet. That's critical. I was already regretting my purchase when the 30 sec reset didn't work. 

Just some feedback...

Just some questions so we can get some clarity & ideas on how to improve, when you first access the forum there is the support section and then DumaOS on R2 Support within that, how could we make it clearer?

On the first and last page of the guide it says for more in-depth guides go to support.netduma.com, does this need to be bigger, moved elsewhere, reworded etc in your opinion? On the last page it says to factory reset the router click the information icon at the top of the interface, does this need to be moved, reworded etc?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just some questions so we can get some clarity & ideas on how to improve, when you first access the forum there is the support section and then DumaOS on R2 Support within that, how could we make it clearer?

On the first and last page of the guide it says for more in-depth guides go to support.netduma.com, does this need to be bigger, moved elsewhere, reworded etc in your opinion? On the last page it says to factory reset the router click the information icon at the top of the interface, does this need to be moved, reworded etc?

So when I got to the forum I just browsed the topics of the threads looking for an issue that resembled mine..."Problem setting up. Won't connect"

The only one that I found that was similar didn't include a solution. The thread ended with the gentlemen saying he would type IPconfig and let you know what he saw, I believe. So I was dead in the water. I did see where it said to do a master reset in the interface in the booklet...but I was stuck on Step #1. It wasn't accepting my password to enter the interface. I tried the standard 30 second reset and when that didn't work I was more disillusioned. So if the 30/30/30 reset is truly a master reset that works to erase all issues, then that should be clearly stated in the booklet. Maybe I got lucky and the 30 sec reset worked, but I was a solid 2 hrs trying the 30 sec reset and it didn't work until I did the longer 1.5 min reset and concurrently cycled power. 

If you notice, your "Getting Started" tab inside the knowledge base..starts after you have internet and accessed the unit and its working. If novice users have had various issues getting to that point, I think it's good to list common solutions there. 

Another issue I'm seeing today is WiFi disconnects randomly and reconnects. I see that an update is in the works? If this is a common problem, that should also have common solutions right on the trouble shooting page. 

Just some thoughts. Overall I'm excited to dive deeper in to the unit and work out the kinks. I am finding my way around, but just some things that would have made it easier and less frustrating at times. I'm still recommending the product. It's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Setup wizard never came up when I connect the router. I had internet connection on my desktop wired in. I haven’t been able to connect to WiFi, continues to say wrong password. Reset the router and have unplugged it and now I can’t connect on my desktop and WiFi continues to not work..... please contact me as I believe I have a defective router.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Josh Savoni said:

Setup wizard never came up when I connect the router. I had internet connection on my desktop wired in. I haven’t been able to connect to WiFi, continues to say wrong password. Reset the router and have unplugged it and now I can’t connect on my desktop and WiFi continues to not work..... please contact me as I believe I have a defective router.

I'll respond where you posted more information, in future make a new topic please as it will be easier for us to help you :)

I thought it was good especially for people that aren't familiar with what's going on and also the setup wizard helps a lot too!  The less information on the user guide the better for me just enough to get me logged in and check things out and let the wizard do the rest imo.  But I am familiar with router interfaces so I might be out of the ordinary.  Maybe a little of both, the first page is the quick setup guide and the other pages explain each feature.

A couple of thoughts about this:

-A PDF instead of a physical 20 page booklet would be my preference.

-Suggesting videos online instead of a PDF or physical booklet doesn't make as much sense to me because if someone is having connectivity issues, watching videos via a mobile device, with some/most people on plans with data caps, isn't ideal.  If I can't get online with my computer/phone/devices while installing the new router, telling me to watch videos online isn't helpful.

A more in depth description of each setting is possible with a PDF instead of a video also. It's more work to compile and create but it's more helpful too.

• 3 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, Elite Gaming Arena said:

Come on guys we are in 2020, Its Multi-media age and we are thinking of booklets. All we need a Netduma R2 YouTube channel and each function described by the professional person. It will save thousands of man hour trouble shooting each user problems.

That's all well and good, but this viewpoint assumes that you can get the R2 to connect online in the first place!

I would tend to agree that any rock solid plug and play product should need less in the way of instructions, but unfortunately this isn't it. An online only set of instructions isn't going to be much use if you are not connected to the internet.

• 2 months later...