XR500 Firmware version 2.3.2.56 released.

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie
17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. We are aware of the pinned issue so that will be sorted. Regarding the dropouts is that the router dropping the connection i.e. shows disconnected in System Information or wired/wireless devices dropping? I'd suggest plugging directly into a wall outlet if you're connecting to an extender as I've seen issues like that happen when using an extender. Have you set static IPs for the devices/router itself? I'd suggest making a new topic so we can focus on your issues.

Just wanted to point out that the ring main in your home is the same as a extension cord because that is what it is, it takes one cable coming in and provides dozens of sockets off that point of entry. Plugging into a dodgy extension cord that's a 100 meters long may cause issues possibly but your average 6ft lead will not give the router less power than the wall socket in any majorly noticeable way, especially considering how little power a router uses.  :)

Sooooooo.    Update?  
I have seen several folks from the Duma team say that it is Netgear who holds up these updates.   But a dude on Reddit (who wouldn’t identify himself, but hinted that he works for Netgear) said that it’s Duma who holds these up.   That as soon as Duma makes the update available, Netgear pushes it out.   I don’t know what’s true, but I do know one thing: although the router is working just fine, there are some features that need fixed and many that need added.   Where is the update guys? 

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, BeerOnTap said:

Sooooooo.    Update?  
I have seen several folks from the Duma team say that it is Netgear who holds up these updates.   But a dude on Reddit (who wouldn’t identify himself, but hinted that he works for Netgear) said that it’s Duma who holds these up.   That as soon as Duma makes the update available, Netgear pushes it out.   I don’t know what’s true, but I do know one thing: although the router is working just fine, there are some features that need fixed and many that need added.   Where is the update guys? 

If Netgear were to push out an update from us immediately without testing that would open them up to all kinds of issues so that just doesn't track. We will be making an announcement soon.

19 hours ago, BeerOnTap said:

Sooooooo.    Update?  

It’s me and I had sent you a message too on this very forum saying hi on April the 1st. I told you it’s not Netgear who supply updates to Duma and I never hinted I worked for Netgear but you got uptight over me telling you that updates are from  Netduma apart from security/drivers etc and then you went into one thinking I’m some type of NG employee.

i asked you to post your problems on here so I could then join in and help you.

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, BeerOnTap said:

Sooooooo.    Update?  

I think there is some confusion here. Netgear make the router hardware and have their own firmware that runs the router, CPU clock speed drivers etc. Netduma create the software that is DumaOS that runs on top. Netduma update their software and Netgear update theirs, and Netdumas on the XR range. Both companies have to make sure that the firmware is stable when working together on the routers. I have No idea why you think Netgear hold up Netduma's firmware, after all they as stated by Fraser are the ones that create DumaOS fixes and pass them to Netgear for testing. Netgear cant update DumaOS, its not their software, but have to make sure the Netgear router side remains stable.

So for anyone wanting information on FW updates and support for updates should be posting over in the NEGEAR forums:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

Stop bugging NetDUMA about FW updates. XR routers are NETGEAR products, not NetDUMA. NETGEAR only uses NetDUMA as a 3rd party developer for this series of routers and uses a portion of DUMAs code to include in NETGEARs FW. If you want information about the XR series FW, post over in the NETGEAR forum. Up to NETGEAR to update there FW and test it out and release it. It's NETGEARs routers and ball game when it comes to there products. 

And don't forget, since this CD19 virus has slowed and delayed current events and business progress, the end results and release times maybe delayed as well. Many people and businesses are being effected. 

For those interested, there maybe a beta version for some XR series which you'll need to contact the NETGEAR forum moderator there to gain access too. So far I've only see a beta for the XR700. Something to inquire about and see if maybe there is one for the XR450/500 series if your so inclined to do so. 

Any router mfr doesn't have to or is required to divulge when new FW maybe forth coming. Been like this for many years. 

EOL!!!

So basically, long story short, the delays in updates are mostly the fault of the DumaOS team dragging their feet? 

what Newfie is saying (from what I can tell, since his wording is rough) is that all progress is being held up by Netduma team.  

then what E38bimmer says is it’s all Netgear’s fault.  

Just be patient. When it the FW comes out, it will be out. Nothing you can to or make that happen any sooner. 

If your router is working. Leave it along. "If it works, don't fix it!" 

"BeerOnTap
Posted November 11, 2019
Yeah sure, I wish updates would be more regular.   But I also think some of the rage criticism the NetDuma team receives is a bit unfair.  The reality is my router works very well.  It’s been running consistently since I bought it about a year and a half ago."

3 minutes ago, BeerOnTap said:

Newfie says that’s the case.   
i honestly don’t know what’s true at this point. 

What’s happens is Netduma does an update and NG test. At the moment everyone is waiting for 3.0 and some point when it’s ready we will all have it but I would think sadly covid 19 will have impacted development possibly.  

Guest Killhippie
14 minutes ago, BeerOnTap said:

Newfie says that’s the case.   
i honestly don’t know what’s true at this point. 

Can we stop with the name dropping please. As has been explained by all concerned in this thread Netduma create DumaOS, Netgear create and run the XR routers, both have to be tested and the firmware has to work in harmony,. This is a is time consuming process, with two lots of firmware running on one machine. :)

3 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Just be patient. When it the FW comes out, it will be out. Nothing you can to or make that happen any sooner. 

If your router is working. Leave it along. "If it works, don't fix it!" 

"BeerOnTap
Posted November 11, 2019
Yeah sure, I wish updates would be more regular.   But I also think some of the rage criticism the NetDuma team receives is a bit unfair.  The reality is my router works very well.  It’s been running consistently since I bought it about a year and a half ago."

Yeah notice the date on that.   This router is basically abandoned at this point.  

6 months isn't considered abandoned. You can believe that, however, again you will be false and incorrect in your thinking. Believe what you want too. Complaining about it doesn't make anything go faster or push FW releases either. Not sure why your making such noise anyways. By your statement your router seems to be working for you. My XR has been working fine for me. Zero issues. One of the few NG routers that I can use can get OPEN NAT across the board with two or more game consoles. 

On 4/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, e38BimmerFN said:

So for anyone wanting information on FW updates and support for updates should be posting over in the NEGEAR forums:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

Stop bugging NetDUMA about FW updates. XR routers are NETGEAR products, not NetDUMA. NETGEAR only uses NetDUMA as a 3rd party developer for this series of routers and uses a portion of DUMAs code to include in NETGEARs FW. If you want information about the XR series FW, post over in the NETGEAR forum. Up to NETGEAR to update there FW and test it out and release it. It's NETGEARs routers and ball game when it comes to there products. 

And don't forget, since this CD19 virus has slowed and delayed current events and business progress, the end results and release times maybe delayed as well. Many people and businesses are being effected. 

For those interested, there maybe a beta version for some XR series which you'll need to contact the NETGEAR forum moderator there to gain access too. So far I've only see a beta for the XR700. Something to inquire about and see if maybe there is one for the XR450/500 series if your so inclined to do so. 

Any router mfr doesn't have to or is required to divulge when new FW maybe forth coming. Been like this for many years. 

EOL!!!

This is equivalent to saying that all the different companies that put their name on laptops, desktops, tablets, and so on are responsible for the windows, linux, android or ios software updates that causes that computer to run like a snail or crash repeatedly. 

It's no different than that of an operating system on these routers. 

Good evening,

I need help with my XR500.  I purchased this router about 6 months ago after having terrible luck with the XR 300.  This router, just like the XR 300, needs to be constantly reset, at least daily.  In fact, today, I had to reset it twice... I'm assuming this is a firmware issue, so if someone could point me to the last known firmware that requires the least number of periodical resets, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have recently pulled all devices off the wireless part of the router and hardwired anything that can be hardwired.  I am also using an 8-port Netgear hub with 8 devices plugged into it (one of which being the router).  Please advise; thank you.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Mulligan87 said:

Good evening,

I need help with my XR500.  I purchased this router about 6 months ago after having terrible luck with the XR 300.  This router, just like the XR 300, needs to be constantly reset, at least daily.  In fact, today, I had to reset it twice... I'm assuming this is a firmware issue, so if someone could point me to the last known firmware that requires the least number of periodical resets, I would greatly appreciate it.  I have recently pulled all devices off the wireless part of the router and hardwired anything that can be hardwired.  I am also using an 8-port Netgear hub with 8 devices plugged into it (one of which being the router).  Please advise; thank you.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Could you make a new topic please and include this information:

• Why are you resetting the router so much?
  • What specific issues are you having?
  • Are you restoring from a backup every time you reset?

On 4/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, Mike H said:

Sooo... yeah. I bought an XR500 on the strength of previous Netgear products, and because DumaOS looked promising.

But it's been nothing but trouble. It drops out randomly (2.3.2.56 firmware) and reboots itself frequently. I RMA'd the first unit I had after it got into a state where it would hard-reboot after about a minute or two of uptime and couldn't progress past the setup wizard. The brand-new replacement unit has also exhibited the random dropouts. Given this, it would seem that this is not a one-off faulty unit - either the hardware or the software or both are kinda cactus.

DumaOS itself feels really untested. Like for example, pin the Network Map and the QoS components to the dashboard. They both fail. Individually they work, but if both are pinned, they break. There's other issues that can be found by pinning other things to the dashboard. Really inspires confidence.

Given the last firmware release was... eight months ago now it seems, is there any hope for this product? An "oh but 3.0 is coming out and we can't tell you wheeeeennnn" doesn't help, because I don't care about a mythical major new OS version in the future, I care about having a working product today.

I'm giving up waiting for 3.0.
Given that the current version is very resource intensive (both CPUs are always 50% and are regularly peaking) the new version will probably use more resources.

The intensity is so high that some features can't be run at the same time. If I turn on IPv6 while my WAN connection is set up to receive an IP address from the ISP, then all my LAN connections drop at time of the address renewal. Very funny when you consider that the ISP DHCP renewal time is set to 2 hours. It isn't funny either when support pushes to set a static IP address on the WAN interface, which is in breach of the contract with the ISP.
Even with features disabled there are still many annoying dropouts.

This is one brand that I will not purchase again.

I don't understand why your router is doing that mine isn't in my technically is 500 series but it's called the 450 series it's the same exact router but it uses different firmware a little bit it just has different Wi-Fi spec it's not compatible for Wi-Fi 6 it's only compatible for 5 and 4 Wi-Fi try to reinstall the firmware or try to do a hard format that might work I don't understand why yours is doing that mine is not doing that if it's still doing that it might be the hardware problem you might need to send it back

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Stef Nighthawk said:

I'm giving up waiting for 3.0.
Given that the current version is very resource intensive (both CPUs are always 50% and are regularly peaking) the new version will probably use more resources.

The intensity is so high that some features can't be run at the same time. If I turn on IPv6 while my WAN connection is set up to receive an IP address from the ISP, then all my LAN connections drop at time of the address renewal. Very funny when you consider that the ISP DHCP renewal time is set to 2 hours. It isn't funny either when support pushes to set a static IP address on the WAN interface, which is in breach of the contract with the ISP.
Even with features disabled there are still many annoying dropouts.

This is one brand that I will not purchase again.

We're actually looking at the RAM/CPU currently to ensure that we can optimize this as much as possible so I'm confident that won't be an issue. That one is for NG, I can't imagine that getting a local static IP which has nothing to do with the ISP is a breach of contract, I'd suggest contacting them to get clarity on that point.