XR500 Firmware version 2.3.2.56 released.

Guest Killhippie

7 hours ago, BSilverthorn said:

sharpz44, you need take this that to netgears forums, call them, post it there and see what happens. This is their router not Duma. Good luck with ASUS, thierX6s wasn't terrible but plagued at first. The released it to early. 

No I don’t , it’s the software ,  I think I should know by now but thanks for the non useful advise 

6 hours ago, BSilverthorn said:

sharpz44, you need take this that to netgears forums, call them, post it there and see what happens. This is their router not Duma. Good luck with ASUS, thierX6s wasn't terrible but plagued at first. The released it to early. 

Honestly there should not be any Netgear support here. It should be all over on the Netgear forum so Netgear also can see what is going on. One should not have to cross post on both forums though. And Netduma does have a support section here which is very misleading.. sharpz will be better off with ASUS out of the box.. No switches needed for there routers to make it work.

Zippy.

9 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Well good luck ,that’s me done ,sky Q just dropped a download whilst watching , I’m done with this shit ,just purchased ASUS RT AX 88U from scan uk ,roll on Friday.never again will I be feed a load of shit and Netduma plus Netgear are a disgrace ,yer future support will be great due to the evolving product ...yer right .... hope it goes bankrupt 

You should have pretty good luck with ASUS. That's the route I will be going. I beta tested the ROG. Which had its issues but has come a long way now. Im going to chat with Merlin and see what ASUS products he supports. Then I will have a peace of mind. I will not purchase any Netduma/Netgear routers again. Im done with that..

Zippy.

3 minutes ago, Zippy said:

You should have pretty good luck with ASUS. That's the route I will be going. I beta tested the ROG. Which had its issues but has come a long way now. Im going to chat with Merlin and see what ASUS products he supports. Then I will have a peace of mind. I will not purchase any Netduma/Netgear routers again. Im done with that..

Zippy.

Marlins firmware is very good ASUS and so is Voxel for Netgear ,;I’ve owned both the Rog spiders ,also Netgear routers ; to be honest I’ve just had enough of waiting and see a lot of swerving going on.I see issues like killihippie gets but never really post about it ,just got annoyed last night with it.should have kept my Rog AX rapture ...bit scary spider though 😂

3 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

Marlins firmware is very good ASUS and so is Voxel for Netgear ,;I’ve owned both the Rog spiders ,also Netgear routers ; to be honest I’ve just had enough of waiting and see a lot of swerving going on.I see issues like killihippie gets but never really post about it ,just got annoyed last night with it.should have kept my Rog AX rapture ...bit scary spider though 😂

I totally agree. Merlins and Voxels firmware's are very good with good support. Sounds like you know what direction your going. And no worries we all are annoyed past what anyone should have to put up with. Lets just say we learned our lesson here.. Ha Ha I still got my ROG spider! When my friends first seen it they were like what the hell is that!! LOL.. :D   Good luck with whatever router you go with my friend! 👍 If your not already on SNB forums join it. Theres a lot of good folks there and also Merlin and Voxel hangout there as well. killhippie is also on that site. Good info on both Netgear and ASUS routers not to mention everything in between..

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

I totally agree. Merlins and Voxels firmware's are very good with good support. Sounds like you know what direction your going. And no worries we all are annoyed past what anyone should have to put up with. Lets just say we learned our lesson here.. Ha Ha I still got my ROG spider! When my friends first seen it they were like what the hell is that!! LOL.. :D   Good luck with whatever router you go with my friend! 👍 If your not already on SNB forums join it. Theres a lot of good folks there and also Merlin and Voxel hangout there as well. killhippie is also on that site. Good info on both Netgear and ASUS routers not to mention everything in between..

Zippy.

Cheers , yes I’m on SNB we’re the real knowledge base lives 

Guest Killhippie

With a need for IPv6 and WPA3 being the new standard in town soon (unless that's not a priority for Netgear on older kit as it can be updated), also Wi-Fi 6 is replacing Wi-Fi 5 quite fast and I will be looking at hardware that keeps up with new clients and my networking needs. I love the GUI of DumaOS but not the failed promises and the never ending bugs that Netgear and Netduma don't get fixed, I'm guessing more Netgear than you guys, but still Ive seen to many promises  just fade away on these forums. Also this XR hardware is getting old. SoC's and Wi-Fi chipsets from 2016 are hardly cutting edge any more. Basically buying a R9000 or the gaming equivalent, the XR700 means people are buying 3 year old hardware, the XR500's CPU hits 4 years old in January 2020 as that's when the IPQ8065 landed on the shelves in home routers like Netgears R7800, which the XR500 basically is just in a new body shell and a bit more flash NAND that seems to not even be used.

The XR is only about two years old. I wouldn't consider it getting to the scrap yards just yet. Ya theirs better performing and new chip sets out there. 

I presume and hope that NG will bring WPA3 to the XRs, however not sure if that required new chipsets or just a FW update. I've played with WPA3. Still need work in it's own realm. Also wifi devices need to support that as well and wifi routers. I only have one device that supports WPA3 currently. 

The XRs wifi works well, at least for me. When AX becomes more prominent, users can still use the XR routers if they want too, just turn of the wifi radios and connect up a AX wifi AP. Boom, there you go. What I did with my XR450 and a ASUS GT-AX11000. 😁

Hey @e38BimmerFN Any new AX routers support true open cone nat yet? I'm probably going to move away from Duma/Netgear after the disappointment in continued support for their products and open cone is a must! Not ready to move on yet, I'm going to still hold out for this infamous XR500 update for a while longer but when I do upgrade to AX it won't be with them.

So  far the XR450 and 500 support Full Cone NAT. I can't say that for the XR700 as it failed this test. The RAX120 does. I presume all the RAX's since they have the NAT Filter option.

I need to update this list:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21&start=30

14 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

So  far the XR450 and 500 support Full Cone NAT. I can't say that for the XR700 as it failed this test. The RAX120 does. I presume all the RAX's since they have the NAT Filter option.

I need to update this list:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21&start=30

Awesome! thanks so much. I did go look there but saw you hadn't updated in a bit ;)

5 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Yes kinda of behind the times a bit. I'll get it updated. 😏

Hey I was just reading through what you have been writing.. Nice job on that! Very well detail job on explaining.. Heres a question I have for you.. I play on XboxOneX. When I play the very first game on H5 it plays pretty well. But every game after it doesn't. Ive always wondered if I had a port all of a sudden being blocked. Or being mapped improperly or not being mapped at all. Its the strangest thing ive ever come across because the very first game I play things seem fine. But every game after not even close.. Whats your thoughts on that? Curious to see what you think might be going on.. Im still reading some of your info you have been doing.. Good job! 👍

Zippy.

Interesting...haven't seen that kind of behavior before. Though I mostly play one game then I'm done for the night and turn off my console. 

So what happens after you play the first game, then turn OFF the xbox, then back ON then play the next game? 

Wired console? 

IP address reservation for the xbox? 

What are you settings on your router? 

QoS is enabled on my XR450 and sliders set for 70/70 with detect high priority traffic only. Upnp enabled and that's it. No Port Forwarding configurations. NAT FIlter set to OPEN since I have two consoles that play online at the same time. 

3 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey I was just reading through what you have been writing.. Nice job on that! Very well detail job on explaining.. Heres a question I have for you.. I play on XboxOneX. When I play the very first game on H5 it plays pretty well. But every game after it doesn't. Ive always wondered if I had a port all of a sudden being blocked. Or being mapped improperly or not being mapped at all. Its the strangest thing ive ever come across because the very first game I play things seem fine. But every game after not even close.. Whats your thoughts on that? Curious to see what you think might be going on.. Im still reading some of your info you have been doing.. Good job! 👍

Zippy.

2 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Interesting...haven't seen that kind of behavior before. Though I mostly play one game then I'm done for the night and turn off my console. 

So what happens after you play the first game, then turn OFF the xbox, then back ON then play the next game? 

Wired console? 

IP address reservation for the xbox? 

What are you settings on your router? 

QoS is enabled on my XR450 and sliders set for 70/70 with detect high priority traffic only. Upnp enabled and that's it. No Port Forwarding configurations. NAT FIlter set to OPEN since I have two consoles that play online at the same time. 

Honestly its the first time I ever seen such a thing also.. Such a strange issue that I haven't really mentioned it because one would almost think im crazy! Which im starting to get there!! lol.. I tried it again tonight. Same thing happened. first game played fine. Every game after it didn't. Its really night and day difference. My console is wired. IP address is reserved for the Xbox. My settings are just like yours. The only difference is I have the XR500. And to be fair ive had some wild issues with it. One thing to note though is I did a test tonight on my xbox to see what I would get for NAT. Strange thing is though is says my NAT is open but with something new.. No longer do I see your behind a Cone Nat. Now I see...Your network is behind an address restricted NAT..  Could you explain to me at all why that is and what that means?  Now im confused because it never said anything like that. Im still with the same ISP also. And always it stated im behind a Cone Nat.  I just found that to be very interesting that now it has changed.. Any thoughts?

Zippy.

Do you have NAT Filter set for Open or Secure. Your xbox is the only console online? I would expect the status to read Restricted NAT if NAT Filter is set to Secure.

We never know what MS does with there updates as well. This maybe a MS issue as well. Something in there OS or cached memory that's slowing down.

When this happen, I would remove the 1st game disk. Power OFF the console. Then power it back ON. Put in the 2nd game disk and observe for the behavior...

Another way to isolate this would be to replace the XR router temporarily with a different router and check the behavior...if you have a spare router handy.

I'll give this a try and see if I notice anything with two games I play...

5 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Do you have NAT Filter set for Open or Secure. Your xbox is the only console online? I would expect the status to read Restricted NAT if NAT Filter is set to Secure.

We never know what MS does with there updates as well. This maybe a MS issue as well. Something in there OS or cached memory that's slowing down.

When this happen, I would remove the 1st game disk. Power OFF the console. Then power it back ON. Put in the 2nd game disk and observe for the behavior...

Another way to isolate this would be to replace the XR router temporarily with a different router and check the behavior...if you have a spare router handy.

I'll give this a try and see if I notice anything with two games I play...

I will double check a few things you suggested and give a few things a try.. This could be a MS issue. But yet unknown at this point. I do know when I had my ASUS ROG Rapture AC5300 hooked up and did this test it always said my Nat was Open and said I was behind a Full Cone Nat. Which at that time was the best option I believe. After the very first game I play there is no doubt something happens. Its like my connection gets throttled down. And the through put of my XR500 becomes very sluggish.  It honestly is the most strangest thing ive ever encountered.. At first I thought originally that the very first game the XR500 firewall aloud things then the very next game it didn't and things broke down so to speak. If I was to guess this seems to effect the download side and not the upload side of things. Do you happen to use Traffic Prioritization? And if so could you take a screen shot of the area which shows how many packets are being prioritized up and down please?  Also what I am wondering is if the XR450 that you have has an updated Upnp. Because I believe that the XR500 is running on an older out of date Upnp. If memory serves me correct killhippie had mentioned this awhile back..  Regardless though I do believe we have stumbled onto something.. And that having a Nat restricted address likely is the cause. The question is just what is at fault.. Thanks again for your time and help in this matter. 

Zippy.

So this was seen when you were using the ASUS router as well? If so, I would make an early presumption that it may not be a router issue. 

What is your ISP service? Cable, Fiber or DSL? What is the Mfr and model if your ISP Modem or ONT? 

You'll only see FULL CONE NAT if you set the XR NAT Filter to OPEN. Port Address Restricted will be seen when set to SECURE.

The XR450 is the same as the 500 HW wise, just the 2.4ghz radio is different. So code wise, they share or should share same code in regards to uPnP. 

Only item I use is Detect High Priority Traffic only. Everything else is default. 

What are the games you play when you notice this? 

16 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

So this was seen when you were using the ASUS router as well? If so, I would make an early presumption that it may not be a router issue. 

What is your ISP service? Cable, Fiber or DSL? What is the Mfr and model if your ISP Modem or ONT? 

You'll only see FULL CONE NAT if you set the XR NAT Filter to OPEN. Port Address Restricted will be seen when set to SECURE.

The XR450 is the same as the 500 HW wise, just the 2.4ghz radio is different. So code wise, they share or should share same code in regards to uPnP. 

Only item I use is Detect High Priority Traffic only. Everything else is default. 

What are the games you play when you notice this? 

When using the ASUS router this wasn't occurring. And when I did this test it said Nat was Open and I was behind a Full Cone Nat. And my gameplay was consistent from game to game.

I have a cable ISP. Spectrum. My modem is a Arris SB6183.  Stand alone modem only. Not a combo modem router.

When I get home I will double check and see if Nat filter is Open or Secured. If it is set to Secured is it safe to set that to Open? Your thoughts? 

The game I play is Halo5. That is basically the only game I play currently. Once in awhile I do play the MCC. But both games I ping the server at about 28ms. Which I feel is a respectable ping.

If you do use Detect High Priority Traffic. can you give me an example of how many High Priority Packets are being Prioritized Up and Down? So basically if you looked in the section of your router where it shows the number of packets being prioritized there should be a number of packets that have been prioritized Up and Down. what are they? Im only interested in the packets that are high priority Up and Down.. Hope that makes sense..

Thanks again for your help!

Zippy.

Ok so possible issue with XR router if it wasn't seen on the ASUS. Still would need to rule out the game console or XR. Doing the gaming directly to the ISP modem with out any router and see if same thing happens. The 6183 is a solid modem. I have this one for back up. 

Whats your speeds UP and Down that you pay for? I have 200/10.

Have used OPEN for NAT Filter for years now since learning of the problems Port Address Restricted NAT has on multiplayer online games that deal with NAT status. Have had zero issues. 

I have H5 and MCC as well. So what is the sequence and games used when you notice the next game seems to be slowing down on the console? Order of games please...I'll give this a go if I can this evening. 

I'll check what I have on the router for packets. 

10 minutes ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Ok so possible issue with XR router if it wasn't seen on the ASUS. Still would need to rule out the game console or XR. Doing the gaming directly to the ISP modem with out any router and see if same thing happens. The 6183 is a solid modem. I have this one for back up. 

Whats your speeds UP and Down that you pay for? I have 200/10.

Have used OPEN for NAT Filter for years now since learning of the problems Port Address Restricted NAT has on multiplayer online games that deal with NAT status. Have had zero issues. 

I have H5 and MCC as well. So what is the sequence and games used when you notice the next game seems to be slowing down on the console? Order of games please...I'll give this a go if I can this evening. 

I'll check what I have on the router for packets. 

Thanks e38BimmerFN, I do agree the SB6183 is a solid modem. And it doesn't have the Puma6 chipset.

When I get home I will try and make sure that I have it set to Open!

Give it a go and see what happens when you play! Play Halo5. Go and play Quick Play. The very first game performs well for me. But the very next game of Quick Play does not. That's not the only playlist this happens in for me either. It basically happens in all playlists of Halo5. Ranked and Non ranked playlists. I haven't played the MCC in awhile but will compare that game also. Play a few games and see if anything stands out for you!

My speeds I pay for Up and down.. 200 Down/10 Up. When doing speed tests I get 212 Down and 12 Up. And those stay very consistent..

I am curious to see how Halo5 plays for you. And am very curious on your High Priority Packets Up/Down.. 

Thanks again!

Zippy.

1 hour ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Is this the packets your looking for?

Network-Status.png

The up seems to keep at zero while the down seems to go up ever so often by 1. 

Yep that is what im looking for! And I figured yours was going to show different then mine.. Your download should always prioritize more because your downloading more then uploading. So basically when one is playing a game one is downloading roughly about 580kbps. And uploading around 280kbps while playing a game. Out of those kbps Up and Down there is a number that will be prioritized. So with that said one should always have more downloaded prioritized packets then upload because your always downloading more regardless. Hopefully you understand what im saying. Your router is doing what it should be and is working.. Mine on the other hand is just the opposite.. My upload is higher then my download. And that shouldn't be. So whatever is occurring in my XR500 is effecting my download side packets..  I will take a screen shot of mine so you can see what im saying.. 

Thanks for all your help! 

Zippy.

Here is a picture of mine. If you look close you will see that my download is lower then upload. And this shouldn't be at all. In fact ones download shouldn't even be close to my upload.. Download packets should always be more. Not by just a little but by a larger margin..

1169981573_Screenshot(51).thumb.png.58e9bf5de4d2d9176e6b7cf34473d85b.png

Ok so I just got off playing 2 back to back Quick Match games in H5. Both played smoothly. I can't say the same for my game play. Man am I out of touch in that game. LOL

Saw no slow down or lag in the 2nd game. I backed out of the 1st lobby then re-entered another. Game was smooth as silk. Man I love this router. 💘

Here's my TPI after I was done playing H5:

Traffic-Pri-Info1.png
Traffic-Pri-Info2.png

What is your NAT Filter set for?