XR500 Firmware version 2.3.2.56 released.

Guest Killhippie

• Administrators

Thanks for explaining your situation and for your understanding. I do realise it is very frustrating and we are here if you would like to make a topic to go in depth on your issues, we'll help as much as we can. We are confident about 3.0 and that it will put a lot of peoples minds at ease. Of course we still need to make it through beta and that is always the true test, having it tested at scale.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

As someone who has just got into this whole Smart home shenanigans (late I know) I can definitely see the appeal of this feature.

Smart Home? This has nothing to do with a smart home. This is something that's been going on for many years. Say you're at the office (or a coffee shop) and you'd like to RDP into your desktop at home. If it's asleep, you can wake it up using WOL. I used to do this all the time with my R7000 on DD-WRT by connecting via SSH / terminal command.

Not sure what's going on with DumaOS, been monitoring and looking for update so I finally decided to register and comment. Guys like Brainslayer and Kong can / could put out new firmware versions for hundreds of routers with different CPU architectures, different brands, versions, etc within a matter of days, so I don't understand why it's taking you guys so long? Not here to point the finger, just an observation as I'm not familiar with the hardware part of it. I've been a Web / Software Engineer for ~20 years so I do know that side of it very well.

I do like the interface, the dashboard concept, R-Apps (been hoping for more), etc. although some things take a long time to apply changes. Most of us who configure / tweak our own routers want a lot more granular control, however. 

As far as R-Apps / Themes, etc. Have you guys considered making these things extensible where either A.) you could open source SDK for others to build custom apps and B.) end users like myself with development skills can write their own extensions, themes, etc? I think the potential here is enormous, if whoever's driving the boat has the right vision!

Thanks and looking forward to the next update.

• Administrators
On 3/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, this ol hack said:

Not sure what's going on with DumaOS, been monitoring and looking for update so I finally decided to register and comment. Guys like Brainslayer and Kong can / could put out new firmware versions for hundreds of routers with different CPU architectures, different brands, versions, etc within a matter of days, so I don't understand why it's taking you guys so long? Not here to point the finger, just an observation as I'm not familiar with the hardware part of it. I've been a Web / Software Engineer for ~20 years so I do know that side of it very well.

As far as R-Apps / Themes, etc. Have you guys considered making these things extensible where either A.) you could open source SDK for others to build custom apps and B.) end users like myself with development skills can write their own extensions, themes, etc? I think the potential here is enormous, if whoever's driving the boat has the right vision!

Thanks and looking forward to the next update.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The update we're working on is a big overhaul and will be adding a lot so it's not just minor changes that could be pushed quickly, they will need extensive testing on our end. We have thought about that as well and we may do that in the future, we are paving the way to make that do-able now with the next update.

Hi Admins,

I was directed to downgrade to a custom firmware which contained fixes to address internet connection dropouts. This firmware works perfectly and resolved my dropout issues. However I can see that the .56 contains security fixes and fixes to traffic optimization options etc. Therefore is there any way to get an updated version of the V2.3.2.40-C424a which contains the security fixes for the dropouts and all the updates that are in the .56? Also are we ever going to see the updated firmware that you guys keep speaking of?

Kind Regards

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, IanRex said:

Hi Admins,

I was directed to downgrade to a custom firmware which contained fixes to address internet connection dropouts. This firmware works perfectly and resolved my dropout issues. However I can see that the .56 contains security fixes and fixes to traffic optimization options etc. Therefore is there any way to get an updated version of the V2.3.2.40-C424a which contains the security fixes for the dropouts and all the updates that are in the .56? Also are we ever going to see the updated firmware that you guys keep speaking of?

Kind Regards

Any version after what you're on will contain everything from the previous versions so you should be fine to upgrade to .56. We'll be doing a beta as soon as we can for 3.0.

Hi,

I was on the .56 and was told to downgrade to the version I mentioned to address the dropouts which I did. I no longer get the dropouts when on the V2.3.2.40-C424a version. I did try to upgrade again last night and this morning no internet so I was forced to downgrade again. SO my question is what changes are in the V2.3.2.40-C424a  that address the droputs?

• Administrators

When did you receive that firmware? Was .56 already out at that time? I can't be sure what was included as it was a Netgear fix. If it was released after .56 then it'll certainly be included in the next firmware.

Hi,

Yes .56 was already out at that time, hence why I had issues and I was running .56. Then I searched for a solution and found the forum post where other users had similar problems which were told to use that firmware I pointed out (V2.3.2.40-C424a). So I followed the recommendation and it resolved my issues. I understand its a Netgear fix but if they provided a fix for an earlier version of the firmware with the dropout problems then surely they can provide one for the .56 release. I mean I'm stuck with an older firmware that has security vulnerability issues and performance issues with traffic management. 

• Administrators
18 hours ago, IanRex said:

Hi,

Yes .56 was already out at that time, hence why I had issues and I was running .56. Then I searched for a solution and found the forum post where other users had similar problems which were told to use that firmware I pointed out (V2.3.2.40-C424a). So I followed the recommendation and it resolved my issues. I understand its a Netgear fix but if they provided a fix for an earlier version of the firmware with the dropout problems then surely they can provide one for the .56 release. I mean I'm stuck with an older firmware that has security vulnerability issues and performance issues with traffic management. 

I just double checked, .56 did come out a few months after that hotfix so it is strange that it is still an issue on that firmware. It is unlikely they'll provide one for it now but I will ask the team.

This morning the router XR500 lost all internet access.  The internet light was red.  LAN traffic appeared normal.  Other modems connected to the same internet cable (phone, etc) were working fine.  I unplugged and rebooted the modem (static IP) and then unplugged and rebooted the router.  When I logged into the router it appeared to have reset and presented me with the registration page to configure.  I re-configured using my backup file and now appears fine. This router is in my main office and connected to my office server, so being able to log in from outside the LAN is critical.  Why did this occur and how to prevent for the future?  XR500 with most recent versions of firmware and DumaOS

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, joedds said:

This morning the router XR500 lost all internet access.  The internet light was red.  LAN traffic appeared normal.  Other modems connected to the same internet cable (phone, etc) were working fine.  I unplugged and rebooted the modem (static IP) and then unplugged and rebooted the router.  When I logged into the router it appeared to have reset and presented me with the registration page to configure.  I re-configured using my backup file and now appears fine. This router is in my main office and connected to my office server, so being able to log in from outside the LAN is critical.  Why did this occur and how to prevent for the future?  XR500 with most recent versions of firmware and DumaOS

It is hard to say exactly why it happened, perhaps your ISP dropped the connection briefly and then the router was unable to re-establish the connection properly for some reason. The reset was probably due to unplugging the router (which shouldn't happen), unless there was a power surge which could have reset it and also would explain why the internet was off until the setup wizard was completed. Hopefully this is an isolated incident but keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I just double checked, .56 did come out a few months after that hotfix so it is strange that it is still an issue on that firmware. It is unlikely they'll provide one for it now but I will ask the team.

Ok, thanks that would be nice. But I can upgrade again and get you the relevant logs if that helps to troubleshoot further using the .56? What logs do you require? Would really like a solution and to understand what the cause of the disconnection is.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, IanRex said:

Ok, thanks that would be nice. But I can upgrade again and get you the relevant logs if that helps to troubleshoot further using the .56? What logs do you require? Would really like a solution and to understand what the cause of the disconnection is.

Logs shouldn't be necessary as they've already fixed it before, should just be a casing of adding the fix to the .56 build. I'll let you know should I get a response.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Logs shouldn't be necessary as they've already fixed it before, should just be a casing of adding the fix to the .56 build. I'll let you know should I get a response.

Any news?

On 3/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It is hard to say exactly why it happened, perhaps your ISP dropped the connection briefly and then the router was unable to re-establish the connection properly for some reason. The reset was probably due to unplugging the router (which shouldn't happen), unless there was a power surge which could have reset it and also would explain why the internet was off until the setup wizard was completed. Hopefully this is an isolated incident but keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again.

About an hour after your post, it happened again, started randomly rebooting and losing connections.  This time I did a hard factory reset, then reconfigured again using the backup settings.  So far, it has been working stellar for the last 10 days.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:09 AM, Netduma Alex said:

And I can't show you the expanded patch notes because I don't have them. I know what's coming in 1.4 but that's not been implemented yet.

You definitely won't be waiting 8 months for 1.4

😂

it takes very long time to  fix bugs exempl QoS and IPTV on tv at it works at same time :(

i am deeply disappointed with such a good system and router but  I hope they fix this bug  it with the next firmware.

• Administrators
On 3/28/2020 at 4:44 PM, joedds said:

About an hour after your post, it happened again, started randomly rebooting and losing connections.  This time I did a hard factory reset, then reconfigured again using the backup settings.  So far, it has been working stellar for the last 10 days.

Glad that it's been working, keep us updated!

On 3/29/2020 at 6:30 PM, Kralj3gs said:

it takes very long time to  fix bugs exempl QoS and IPTV on tv at it works at same time :(

i am deeply disappointed with such a good system and router but  I hope they fix this bug  it with the next firmware.

Untick disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Settings. Also IPTV may require VLAN to work, in which case you can do this in the settings. You should be able to give us feedback when the beta is available.

buonasera ho seguito tutta la guida ma il geofiltro su cod modern warface anche in modalita ristretto e filtraggio mi colloca sempre ai server fuori litalia ma questo aggiornamento arriva lo stiamo aspettando da 1 anno come si può spendere 300 € di router per avere una 5g che nn funziona geofiltro uguale e un Qos disabilitato per non aver problemi conviene mettere il firmware precedente? sono stufo 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, masaniello said:

buonasera ho seguito tutta la guida ma il geofiltro su cod modern warface anche in modalita ristretto e filtraggio mi colloca sempre ai server fuori litalia ma questo aggiornamento arriva lo stiamo aspettando da 1 anno come si può spendere 300 € di router per avere una 5g che nn funziona geofiltro uguale e un Qos disabilitato per non aver problemi conviene mettere il firmware precedente? sono stufo 

Ciao, potresti iniziare un nuovo argomento per quanto riguarda il tuo problema e includere uno screenshot di ciò che vedi quando i giochi appaiono al di fuori del tuo raggio? Questo mi permetterà di vedere cosa sta succedendo.
-
Hello, could you start a new topic regarding your issue please and include a screenshot of what you're seeing when the games appear outside your radius? That will allow me to see what is happening.

Sooo... yeah. I bought an XR500 on the strength of previous Netgear products, and because DumaOS looked promising.

But it's been nothing but trouble. It drops out randomly (2.3.2.56 firmware) and reboots itself frequently. I RMA'd the first unit I had after it got into a state where it would hard-reboot after about a minute or two of uptime and couldn't progress past the setup wizard. The brand-new replacement unit has also exhibited the random dropouts. Given this, it would seem that this is not a one-off faulty unit - either the hardware or the software or both are kinda cactus.

DumaOS itself feels really untested. Like for example, pin the Network Map and the QoS components to the dashboard. They both fail. Individually they work, but if both are pinned, they break. There's other issues that can be found by pinning other things to the dashboard. Really inspires confidence.

Given the last firmware release was... eight months ago now it seems, is there any hope for this product? An "oh but 3.0 is coming out and we can't tell you wheeeeennnn" doesn't help, because I don't care about a mythical major new OS version in the future, I care about having a working product today.

• Administrators
On 4/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, Mike H said:

Sooo... yeah. I bought an XR500 on the strength of previous Netgear products, and because DumaOS looked promising.

But it's been nothing but trouble. It drops out randomly (2.3.2.56 firmware) and reboots itself frequently. I RMA'd the first unit I had after it got into a state where it would hard-reboot after about a minute or two of uptime and couldn't progress past the setup wizard. The brand-new replacement unit has also exhibited the random dropouts. Given this, it would seem that this is not a one-off faulty unit - either the hardware or the software or both are kinda cactus.

DumaOS itself feels really untested. Like for example, pin the Network Map and the QoS components to the dashboard. They both fail. Individually they work, but if both are pinned, they break. There's other issues that can be found by pinning other things to the dashboard. Really inspires confidence.

Given the last firmware release was... eight months ago now it seems, is there any hope for this product? An "oh but 3.0 is coming out and we can't tell you wheeeeennnn" doesn't help, because I don't care about a mythical major new OS version in the future, I care about having a working product today.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. We are aware of the pinned issue so that will be sorted. Regarding the dropouts is that the router dropping the connection i.e. shows disconnected in System Information or wired/wireless devices dropping? I'd suggest plugging directly into a wall outlet if you're connecting to an extender as I've seen issues like that happen when using an extender. Have you set static IPs for the devices/router itself? I'd suggest making a new topic so we can focus on your issues.