R1 DumaOS Briefly Delayed

Netduma Luke

duma os was planned to be released in 2016.

imagine a customer wasnt enough impressed with the current software (1.x) to buy the r1, but saw ads from netduma about duma os coming fall 2016 and bought the r1 because duma os convinced him and netduma said it will come fall 2016. what do you want to tell that guy? how can you still defend netduma?

just look at the DumaOS twitter account, its wrong advertising at its best!

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/17350-an-announcement-on-our-next-upgrade-it-will-be-free-router-revolution/

https://twitter.com/dumaos?lang=de

That's exactly the point for me.

Is it takes Few weeks or few months?

Few months minimum, although it's more likely a few years to give everyone time to forget and for them to release a new piece of hardware with their track record.

If someone can find the documentation on their site or these forums that shows that the version of the router OS that is currently on the R1 is backwards compatible, meaning we can downgrade to earlier versions like 1.02.* please link it. Otherwise I find it hard to believe this as a useful excuse to use for delaying. I say useful because it would have saved them a lot more grief if they had just said what everyone in their community has grown accustomed to, "we're sorry we could not make another deadline we set for ourselves" that is believable as it has happened frequently with Netduma.

At this point I don't know what they are trying to save as most of their community no longer believes them. They'd make more money and get almost zero negative PR if they just came out and said the original hardware couldn't fully support DumaOS and made everyone buy the XR500 or some other piece of new hardware.

/*edit: Netduma staff, you really need to higher a PR rep with more up to date or current experience. This thread should have been locked immediately and pinned after posting.

I would just like to point out that every single firmware update on the R1 since its inception has had no backwards compatibility. 

Once you updated to a newer firmware, you couldn't go back. 

People have gone against Netduma's warnings and updated their R1s to a previous firmware but took a huge risk in bricking the device. 

But we were told from the beginning of every new firmware that going back to a previous firmware was not an option. 

So this 'backwards compatibility' excuse is just that, an excuse. 

Just tell us the R1 can't run well with DUMAOS and be done with it. 

Stop with the excuses already.

You could go back in the previous versions. They recommended that you do not do so. Still I'm with you it's quite the bummer.

Don't know bro. Honestly. I just can't help feeling that this device is obsolete.

I think you might be correct. The R1 was groundbreaking. Now it's hardware limitations are detrimental to anyone with over 60Mb of service. The R1 shined if you had low bandwidth from your ISP. It's not the router of the future internet. I'm a little bummed but only because I wanted to play with the new options. I still really like Netduma as a company. People need to remember they're a really small company

It has been delayed a couple of weeks. It is not an update, patch or upgrade, It is a complete new OS that they are giving you for free, Grow up, stop whining. Yes, it is frustrating and disheartening and I can understand but you are all adults for gods sake so show it and act accordingly please!

Read my commemt above. You cant just say chill its free

I'm sorry that you think that my venting about my frustration here on the forum has to do with anything about my education or how my parents raised me.

I guess you are someone perfect that never got frustrated and cursed someone.

You talk about disrespect, but you don't see that the company that promised 2 years ago an update still not delivered, tell how that is respect for its customers.

You can come here as a knight in shinny armor trying to defend their action, but all you do is come out as a fanboy.

If I have a product and the company does that kind of shit, I hold them responsible for the lack of communications, lack of transparency, excess of bullshit on the motives of delay.

I guess I've been spoiled by companies that actually work professionally and with respect.

As people have pointed out, you actually can't downgrade the firmware now, why would that impact on a newer firmware? Why would they not release the new firmware now and promise an update to enable the downgrade? Why can't you waive that option yourself when you install it?

Sorry but that is bullshit... I can't handle bullshit, right now I was waiting for the software so I can have static routes, something I think every other router have... And my patience runned out.

I was recommending the router for my friends, even though it is not cheap to ship for my country, I told them the company and support was top notch, now I'm ashamed I've did that.

One thing is to expose your frustration and another very different thing is to disrespect as you do, I repeat again that if you really have the age you seem to have in the photo show it and stop behaving like a rude bad mannered.

Nobody cheated on you when I bought the duma. The duma does everything it says it does, since the Duma came out updates have come and promised a new system that sooner or later arrive.

And, by the way, I prefer to be like a fanboy trying to support a small business to evolve not like a troll crap that all it does is disrespect and try to sink other people's work. I will not get into controversy with you or anyone, I do not want any moderator to notice you, but behave like adults with hair on their eggs ... that some already have enough and even gray to behave in certain ways.

So since everyone is venting and pissed off thought I would add my 2 cents. As a community (duma, all of us). I would like to say I have enjoyed all of the very intelligent folks that help me with my issues. I've learned a lot. As far as Netduma goes. They are a small company that I feel is really honest and to be honest they are gamers too. Thats why they invented this software. To make gaming better. For me it has changed the game. I was one of the first ppl to get one. Thanks to SimJC. I really understand that everyone is super pissed because to be honest I was super stoked for this update. To be delayed because of legal bs is super lame. But in todays world I guess you have to really watch your back more than your front. So I guess good things come to those who wait. So that's what I will do! Netduma has giving me no reason to bash them. It will all be okay fellas!!! Peace and hair grease! That is all

One thing is to expose your frustration and another very different thing is to disrespect as you do, I repeat again that if you really have the age you seem to have in the photo show it and stop behaving like a rude bad mannered.

Nobody cheated on you when I bought the duma. The duma does everything it says it does, since the Duma came out updates have come and promised a new system that sooner or later arrive.

And, by the way, I prefer to be like a fanboy trying to support a small business to evolve not like a troll crap that all it does is disrespect and try to sink other people's work. I will not get into controversy with you or anyone, I do not want any moderator to notice you, but behave like adults with hair on their eggs ... that some already have enough and even gray to behave in certain ways.

i dont think netduma is a small company any more. they are company like every other but they are acting unprofessional not like others do and for that there are no excuses to defend.

Ok..so ive been reading every post on this topic today. Firstly for the people who are responding by calling people that are complaining about another broken deadline.. cry babies, you need to grow up. You have to acknowledge that Netduma over the last few years have done themseves no favours. No one forces them to give deadlines but they do, and inevitably fail.

I for one am happy to get the update when it arrives, but to come out with a lame excuse that the lawyers at the last minute decided that the Os has to be backward compatible is to me b*** s****.

The only reason the Os would have to be backward compatible is if Netduma are not 100 percent sure the r1 can fully handle the new Os.

To post last night at 9.38 that the update would be delayed( do lawyers in the uk work at that time of night?). Yes i am dissapointed like a lot of people, not so much about the delay but about leaving it to the last hour and giving us the people that help build this company such a lame excuse.

Thats my penny worth

My initial commentary was about how I feel about the company and its respect for the community that you so much want to support, and yet you come here just to judge me by my looks and goes all the way to put my parents on the conversation. You are no better than anyone, you took to my personal side, and that is on you, if I started to talk about your family or anything on a personal level I don't think you would be acting like that. I'm actually hoping some moderator comes and delete this crap.

I may have disrespected the company, and that's business, they have to take criticism, they have to handle pissed of customers.,but you got on a personal level with me without any provocation, and I didn't do anything to you... I just felt much disrespected as a customer from the company.

I don't think I got cheated by the company, but being a small company is not a excuse, never was, for bad PR and transparency.

If you can't be handle people being rude on the internet about frustration with a company, you shouldn't be rude too.

As a company, if I read something like I wrote, I would take that as a wake up call, if someone have so harsh words means that I disappointed them on a whole new level, and that's my point. I don't think the company need more people massaging their egos, and get real, if you just come to excuses for the enterprise, they will never be better. And honestly I want them to be better.

It has been delayed a couple of weeks. It is not an update, patch or upgrade, It is a complete new OS that they are giving you for free, Grow up, stop whining. Yes, it is frustrating and disheartening and I can understand but you are all adults for gods sake so show it and act accordingly please!

suddenly, you found that it needs to delay or suddenly you found that you need to confirm that it is legal or not. if you are right, whey when I upgrade to latest version of the current software, I can't go back. It is not us who to be blamed, it is you. you delayed the release 3 months, and We understood that because of your deal with Netgear, and now you delay again. we are adult enough to fullfil our word. by the way, if you decided a price for upgrade we wouldn't blame you, we appreciate the good work, and we are ready to pay. actually, we paid 200$ for the software not for the old hardware, and we are ready to pay again.

Is this official or your estimation?

BTW this "grow up" argument is lame.

it is what was stated at the beginning of this post Netduma made. My statement about growing up is not an arguement, it is a statement for certain individuals on here.

Nice to give a statement like that just a couple of hours before it's supposed to be released,

You guys just happend to receive that info out of the blue the same day DumaOS was expected to be released?

Call me a conspiracy theorist.. But that just doesn't make any sense at all.

You kinda want to check and sort these kind of things out BEFORE you make any announcement.

"A few more weeks" yeah.. (not heard that one before)..

This is a textbook example of what to do if you want to piss off as many customers as possible, What in the earth were you guys honestly thinking?

it is what was stated at the beginning of this post Netduma made. My statement about growing up is not an arguement, it is a statement for certain individuals on here.

Forgive me, English is not my native language but I think "a few more weeks" is not quite the same as "a couple of weeks"

Read OP again.

Nice to give a statement like that just a couple of hours before it's supposed to be released,

You guys just happend to receive that info out of the blue the same day DumaOS was expected to be released?

Call me a conspiracy theorist.. But that just doesn't make any sense at all.

You kinda want to check and sort these sort of things out BEFORE you make any announcement.

"A few more weeks" yeah.. (not heard that one before)..

This is a textbook example of what to do if you want to piss off as many customers as possible, What in the earth were you guys honestly thinging?

they are happy for their partnership with Netgear, they forgot who gave them the positive reputation to reach this place. but they forgot that companies care only about sales, and if the router  router doesn't have a good sales record, they will cancel their partnership, and it's only us who care about you netduma

suddenly, you found that it needs to delay or suddenly you found that you need to confirm that it is legal or not. if you are right, whey when I upgrade to latest version of the current software, I can't go back. It is not us who to be blamed, it is you. you delayed the release 3 months, and We understood that because of your deal with Netgear, and now you delay again. we are adult enough to fullfil our word. by the way, if you decided a price for upgrade we wouldn't blame you, we appreciate the good work, and we are ready to pay. actually, we paid 200$ for the software not for the old hardware, and we are ready to pay again.

*delayed the release ≈ 2 years

Lol you guys should know wayy before that releasing a new OS without backwards compability may cause law issue !

make me laugh , 10min before releasing your lawyer came and said , oh it may cause problem if released now .

2 YEARS to release a new version of an OS ( A MODEM OS , please) , just tell us whats wrong , please stop believe that we r stupids