Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  So out of curiosity and some brainstorming i believe i found out why some of us are hindered so bad by lag comp.  So ive noticed the better my network gets the worse the game plays. I went online and purchased an old linksy router for $5.  This router was from 2002 i connected it and played Modern Warfare and Blackout.  The game played amazing despite a disconnect here and there from the router being so old.  I couldnt believe how fast players were dropping and the movement speed of the enemies seemed so much slower.  So my Conclusion is simple a lot of people we are playing against are playing on weak routers that are pieces of shit.  I believe its all down to the send and receive speed of packets.  With my network running top notch im receiving   info faster than a lot of my enemies and the games netcode puts a delay on me because of this.  When i added this almost 20 year old router the gm didnt penalize me, some real ass backwards shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One weird thing I've noticed is sometimes when I'm on a streak, I'll get the jump on someone and get bugger all hit reg on them and that'll be the only time in the match that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

One weird thing I've noticed is sometimes when I'm on a streak, I'll get the jump on someone and get bugger all hit reg on them and that'll be the only time in the match that happens.

Yup like the gm doesnt want you to get the streak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you use? I had a suspicion of this a while back so tried a old linksys wrt54g I have (v3 I think) but had no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i been saying this since ghost. that's when the changed the lag compression engine to cater to players with bad and slow internet. people with good and fast internet get handicapped and the faster your internet the harder you get handicapped, xbox life has a cap of 25mb and COD doesn't use more then 4mb. i have my qos set to 25mb down and 5 mb up and i run through lobbies. i have frontier 1 gigabit connection. when ever i play connected straight to my frontier router i feel like i'm just so far behind other players. i can through a grande and start shooting but in the kill cam im just about to throw the grande it hasn't even left my hand yet in the kill came. make sure you have strict mode enabled. there is so many players now forcing a moderate or strict nat type that is causing this. if everyone had a open nat type no one would have this problem but everyone wants that little bit of a extra edge instead of just playing practicing and getting better skills at the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, slugg said:

What did you use? I had a suspicion of this a while back so tried a old linksys wrt54g I have (v3 I think) but had no luck.

 

2 hours ago, ugotstretched said:

i was getting decent speeds but i believe they were being processed slower.

Screenshot_20200101-211321_Google.jpg

 

10 minutes ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

i been saying this since ghost. that's when the changed the lag compression engine to cater to players with bad and slow internet. people with good and fast internet get handicapped and the faster your internet the harder you get handicapped, xbox life has a cap of 25mb and COD doesn't use more then 4mb. i have my qos set to 25mb down and 5 mb up and i run through lobbies. i have frontier 1 gigabit connection. when ever i play connected straight to my frontier router i feel like i'm just so far behind other players. i can through a grande and start shooting but in the kill cam im just about to throw the grande it hasn't even left my hand yet in the kill came. make sure you have strict mode enabled. there is so many players now forcing a moderate or strict nat type that is causing this. if everyone had a open nat type no one would have this problem but everyone wants that little bit of a extra edge instead of just playing practicing and getting better skills at the game

COMPARISON.thumb.png.c603d4bf2341fd032de363983be65f1c.png

@slugg Linksys data rate is actually slower than yours @ugotstretched. If it is the case that it's handicapping better connections and giving equal playing field to those that do not have the connection to do so. That would certainly suck. But it can easily be managed with small basic features of QoS as I believe both have the basics. None the less, I do recall the change in how gameplay has been changing in the CoD titles since ghost as @TODDzillaInLA has stated. 25mb down and 5mb is more than enough for many titles as it's been constantly mentioned that the titles don't require much bandwidth, to begin with. Stability of connection and those in the lobby can do the same, which would be huge for the gaming community. As this is not only something in CoD but titles such as Overwatch, Fifa, and Pubg have implemented to try to at least bridge the less fortunate and fortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TrayDay said:

 

 

COMPARISON.thumb.png.c603d4bf2341fd032de363983be65f1c.png

@slugg Linksys data rate is actually slower than yours @ugotstretched. If it is the case that it's handicapping better connections and giving equal playing field to those that do not have the connection to do so. That would certainly suck. But it can easily be managed with small basic features of QoS as I believe both have the basics. None the less, I do recall the change in how gameplay has been changing in the CoD titles since ghost as @TODDzillaInLA has stated. 25mb down and 5mb is more than enough for many titles as it's been constantly mentioned that the titles don't require much bandwidth, to begin with. Stability of connection and those in the lobby can do the same, which would be huge for the gaming community. As this is not only something in CoD but titles such as Overwatch, Fifa, and Pubg have implemented to try to at least bridge the less fortunate and fortunate.

so probably processing power in any given router is definitely a factor. I ended up putting 3rd party on the wrt if I remember right (I have like 8 routers and am pushing 50 years old so don't remember) and tinkering with that but I didn't get any positives out of it that I recall. Strangely enough this newest cod seems to work way more consistent than any of the previous from 4 onward and believe me I've had trouble with them all through several isps and different equipment.

 Remember the good old pc days when laggers got booted? I miss those. Now we have to suffer their crap connections so companies can move more units. My theory anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

One weird thing I've noticed is sometimes when I'm on a streak, I'll get the jump on someone and get bugger all hit reg on them and that'll be the only time in the match that happens.

 

And the worst thing is. You will spawn right around the corner from them, and drop them like flies after you respawn LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

i been saying this since ghost. that's when the changed the lag compression engine to cater to players with bad and slow internet. people with good and fast internet get handicapped and the faster your internet the harder you get handicapped, xbox life has a cap of 25mb and COD doesn't use more then 4mb. i have my qos set to 25mb down and 5 mb up and i run through lobbies. i have frontier 1 gigabit connection. when ever i play connected straight to my frontier router i feel like i'm just so far behind other players. i can through a grande and start shooting but in the kill cam im just about to throw the grande it hasn't even left my hand yet in the kill came. make sure you have strict mode enabled. there is so many players now forcing a moderate or strict nat type that is causing this. if everyone had a open nat type no one would have this problem but everyone wants that little bit of a extra edge instead of just playing practicing and getting better skills at the game

How do you Set your rate?

Max QoS rate?

Or ABB sliders to about 25down/5up

Or Share disabled and per Device Limit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can limit your bandwidth,but the processing power is still there.  A 1mb over 1mb connection on a supreme router is better than a gig iver a gig in a slop sink router for xbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heres a simple explanation, You mail man and mine might be carrying the same amount of mail.  But mine is running his route yours is walking.  The supervisor (Server) needs to step in and send the slower guy help.  Thats lag compensation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of folks are using wifi as well. When you play at one of these old Linksys routers you get half duplex wireless-G. That probably nerfs your connection significantly LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried the wrt54g stock firmware wired and wireless and I saw no benefit. My recollection of the 3rd party on the wrt (It was either ddwrt or openwrt, I don't remember which) was no benefit. Tinkered with qos, bandwidth limiting etc to no avail. This was on a spectrum 300/20 connection. I previously had at&t gigabit but had to move so couldn't get it at the new place. It did not help in the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yougotstrecthed  ive been trying to do what your talking about on openwrt

But i still havent figured out how to do so

As i read about what your talking about from a post on these forums a few years ago from a member called roydavis77

He posted  a  topic about this called    a possible  fix to lag comp

 

I posted the link in my lag comp thread

When you look at images from  wireshark captures on these forums

It shows the packet lengths are diffrent from client length to server length

It looks like to me we are sendinging more packets than the  server can handle

Ive worked how to limit my packets we send to the server using openwrt and pfifo

But i havent had anytime to experiment with these settings  as i have been very buisy over christmas 

btw pfifo is  hypertraffic    traffic priortization

Im still trying to learn how to limit the packets que length not the size of the packets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ugotstretched said:

  So out of curiosity and some brainstorming i believe i found out why some of us are hindered so bad by lag comp.  So ive noticed the better my network gets the worse the game plays. I went online and purchased an old linksy router for $5.  This router was from 2002 i connected it and played Modern Warfare and Blackout.  The game played amazing despite a disconnect here and there from the router being so old.  I couldnt believe how fast players were dropping and the movement speed of the enemies seemed so much slower.  So my Conclusion is simple a lot of people we are playing against are playing on weak routers that are pieces of shit.  I believe its all down to the send and receive speed of packets.  With my network running top notch im receiving   info faster than a lot of my enemies and the games netcode puts a delay on me because of this.  When i added this almost 20 year old router the gm didnt penalize me, some real ass backwards shit

Let me ask you the fire question:

Does this configuration works in 5 games in a row, and at the next day is still working? (we could make the "5 games in a row challenge" in this forum just to guess what settings are good 😂😂)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kinel said:

Yougotstrecthed  ive been trying to do what your talking about on openwrt

But i still havent figured out how to do so

As i read about what your talking about from a post on these forums a few years ago from a member called roydavis77

He posted  a  topic about this called    a possible  fix to lag comp

 

I posted the link in my lag comp thread

When you look at images from  wireshark captures on these forums

It shows the packet lengths are diffrent from client length to server length

It looks like to me we are sendinging more packets than the  server can handle

Ive worked how to limit my packets we send to the server using openwrt and pfifo

But i havent had anytime to experiment with these settings  as i have been very buisy over christmas 

btw pfifo is  hypertraffic    traffic priortization

Im still trying to learn how to limit the packets que length not the size of the packets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

yup thats the issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blackfirehawk said:

How do you Set your rate?

Max QoS rate?

Or ABB sliders to about 25down/5up

Or Share disabled and per Device Limit?

Leave the sliders at 100% and set the max bandwidth to 25/5 only device i have connected to my netduma is my xbox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kinel said:

Yougotstrecthed  ive been trying to do what your talking about on openwrt

But i still havent figured out how to do so

As i read about what your talking about from a post on these forums a few years ago from a member called roydavis77

He posted  a  topic about this called    a possible  fix to lag comp

 

I posted the link in my lag comp thread

When you look at images from  wireshark captures on these forums

It shows the packet lengths are diffrent from client length to server length

It looks like to me we are sendinging more packets than the  server can handle

Ive worked how to limit my packets we send to the server using openwrt and pfifo

But i havent had anytime to experiment with these settings  as i have been very buisy over christmas 

btw pfifo is  hypertraffic    traffic priortization

Im still trying to learn how to limit the packets que length not the size of the packets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's actually quite logical that the client and the serverpackets are not the same size.

 

When you send data to the server you are just sending your own data, when you get data from the server you get data from 12 players (11 enemies and yourself)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, ugotstretched said:

  So out of curiosity and some brainstorming i believe i found out why some of us are hindered so bad by lag comp.  So ive noticed the better my network gets the worse the game plays. I went online and purchased an old linksy router for $5.  This router was from 2002 i connected it and played Modern Warfare and Blackout.  The game played amazing despite a disconnect here and there from the router being so old.  I couldnt believe how fast players were dropping and the movement speed of the enemies seemed so much slower.  So my Conclusion is simple a lot of people we are playing against are playing on weak routers that are pieces of shit.  I believe its all down to the send and receive speed of packets.  With my network running top notch im receiving   info faster than a lot of my enemies and the games netcode puts a delay on me because of this.  When i added this almost 20 year old router the gm didnt penalize me, some real ass backwards shit

Whats up thanks for your post! Just out of curiosity sake do you have this said router downstream from your R1/Xr500 or in place of the R1/Xr500 (whatever router you use)? Cause I have a nighthawk 7800 laying around and maybe another router older than that somewhere as well. I'm inclined to try this. Right now I'm playing blackout on a wireless connection cause I feel the game plays better than when I'm wired which is just frickin stupid. I just want more of a level playing field. It is just exactly what you said the better my connection the worse the game plays and its been that way since cod switched over to dedi servers. I always had a great connection when it was peer 2 peer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have the netgear xr500 as my primary and the linksys as the secondary. And yes same here the switch to dedis destroyed the gm.  Anyone who says ping rules all blah blah blah doesnt have good internet period and must be suffering from a low quality service provider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, TODDzillaInLA said:

Leave the sliders at 100% and set the max bandwidth to 25/5 only device i have connected to my netduma is my xbox

I’m on OG R1 firmware. I set my CC sliders to 8% down / 1% up which yielded me 25mb down & about 3mb up (I have 300/300 fiber). 

This seems to be the way to do it on OG R1 firmware??

When throttling like this, am I at the same time limiting packets? 

Just to spice it up even more, I utilized the device Prioritization flower & dragged it to give 75% (up & download) to my WiFi router, which runs everything else in the house, leaving 25% to gaming. 

I’ve only played on this for a couple days but I’m feeling like with the quality of the fiber while throttling the crap outta my connection, may be inducing the great gameplay I’ve had. I’m giving it more time of course but so far it’s been drastically improved as far as hit detection etc. I’ve experimented with BO4, MW & WW2 for a couple hours a piece (so far). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...