How to remove offline devices from router?

So this network map UI is already pretty bad even with a few dozen devices, but when you add the fact that it doesn't automatically remove old devices after a period of time... it gets completely unusable!

The attached image has offline devices on it that are months old.

How do I manually remove all offline devices at once?

Thanks!

20190902-183059-000.png

Holy crap that's a mess! Im not sure there is anything that will remove them except one by one manually. Maybe Netduma can give you advice on this.. Ive never seen anything so packed as yours. What did you do have a massive party at your house? lol.  How many devices do you normally have on your network?

Zippy.

This is IOT... Only two people worth of devices. Even stoves, microwaves, Nike shoes, etc., have wifi now!

But you make a good point- anyone using this firmware in a public setting would end up with hundreds of these things in just a few days. Nobody is going to sit there and delete them one by one.

You also make a good point. More and more things are now becoming connected. Really they should have a setting where devices get removed from the Device Manager after a period of time where there no longer active. Like after a couple of days they automatically get removed. Or have a setting where one can set a time frame. Can you imagine this router at a public coffee shop! That would be a really big mess!  The only thing you probably can do is a factory reset to your router to get what you have now under control. Basically starting from scratch. But that isn't by any means what I would call the ideal way to deal with this.. I know I wouldn't have the time to delete these one by one.. lol. Maybe Fraser or Alex know of an easier way. My Device Manager gets all screwy where I cant even delete them manually.. Even when they are offline.. 

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie

Whats it like in table view? There looks to be a few duplicates of the same device, like its picked up a new IP on reconnection. In a shop you would not use a gaming router, simpler the better and not connected to anything important, or run off a separate incoming line for security. Small coffee shops may use guest accounts I suppose with isolation of one sort or another. Just going in to a electronics brick and mortar store (big one) doesn't show that many devices and that's with maybe a few hundred things on with Wi-Fi, TV's, IoT devices, computers, Wi-Fi speakers. That image is just plain odd, something isn't right, I'm pretty sure I can can 9 devices connected to the WAN one of which is a Netgear RBR40 Orbi router which is also offline too... 🤨

1 minute ago, Killhippie said:

Whats it like in table view? There looks to be a few duplicates of the same device, like its picked up a new IP on reconnection. In a shop you would not use a gaming router, simpler the better and not connected to anything important, or run off a separate incoming line for security. Small coffee shops may use guest accounts I suppose with isolation of one sort or another. Just going in to a electronics brick and mortar store (big one) doesn't show that many devices and that's with maybe a few hundred things on with Wi-Fi, TV's, IoT devices, computers, Wi-Fi speakers. That image is just plain odd.

First thing I noticed, I was wondering if the SSID had been changed and the duplicates were still hanging there but thought that should not really happen.... strange amount of devices

Guest Killhippie
6 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

First thing I noticed, I was wondering if the SSID had been changed and the duplicates were still hanging there but thought that should not really happen.... strange amount of devices

Or changing reserved IP's for the same devices via DHCP reservation could cause that I guess. I have to agree, a strange amount of devices...

Guest Killhippie
25 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

We're planning to add a button to clear all offline devices or something along those lines. I like the idea of dropping devices off the list after a certain amount of time has passed, i'll ask the devs about it.

Can we get a re do speed test button as well, that was promised when the router came out and its still not there. Yes we can do it manually but overheads make it easier for the router as first in line device after the modem and with all your gear switched off, you do get a fair assessment of your networks speeds I tend to find..

5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Alright i'll make sure it's on the roadmap.

Until DumaOS updates on this router are streamlined, the roadmap does not mean much.  It is like having a shopping list and never going to the store to get the things on your list.

• 2 weeks later...

Well table view would be great... if we were allowed to sort the columns by MAC or IP

I have no idea why we can sort by everything else except the two that would be most useful... However when sorting by name there appears to be very few duplicates if any.

• 3 months later...

It's pretty bad, I also have a similar block of offline devices, and worse I repair PC's as a mobile technician so every time i have one here at home and connect it to my network i end up with an offline ghost.
I just want a clear all command or button.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, lordlangford said:

It's pretty bad, I also have a similar block of offline devices, and worse I repair PC's as a mobile technician so every time i have one here at home and connect it to my network i end up with an offline ghost.
I just want a clear all command or button.

Hey, welcome to the forum and Happy Holidays!

That is something we've had requested quite a few times now so it's on our roadmap, glad it's something you'd like to see also.

Happy holidays to you also,
Is there a place we can see your roadmap?  it would be nice to know when I should check to see if this has been implemented.
the Xr500 is a good bit of hardware I recommend it to most of my customers and aside from the error I got the other day that wouldn't let the duma os reload (i just reset it through the admin console at the time to fix) it has ran without a hiccup.
the above is simply a QOL fix that makes the network map actually useable, as it stands (especially with the IOT these days as one user pointed out) its no longer possible to distinguish between connected devices, as your clearly aware.
The quick fix its self would just be a button that dumps all the content in the database with the offline tag, assuming you use SQL to store your data this is extraordinary simple to achieve.
the long term fix would be of course to add a time index to each event and then run a script to remove all entries under the offline tag who's time value is equal to the value in the index.
I would cordially ask both to be implemented.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, lordlangford said:

Happy holidays to you also,
Is there a place we can see your roadmap?  it would be nice to know when I should check to see if this has been implemented.
the Xr500 is a good bit of hardware I recommend it to most of my customers and aside from the error I got the other day that wouldn't let the duma os reload (i just reset it through the admin console at the time to fix) it has ran without a hiccup.
the above is simply a QOL fix that makes the network map actually useable, as it stands (especially with the IOT these days as one user pointed out) its no longer possible to distinguish between connected devices, as your clearly aware.
The quick fix its self would just be a button that dumps all the content in the database with the offline tag, assuming you use SQL to store your data this is extraordinary simple to achieve.
the long term fix would be of course to add a time index to each event and then run a script to remove all entries under the offline tag who's time value is equal to the value in the index.
I would cordially ask both to be implemented.

We don't have a public roadmap at the moment unfortunately but we may change that in the future. We will likely go with a 'delete all offline devices button' first as it is probably the simplest solution and then if it continues to be a nuisance for people we can implement it that second way. Reason we don't get rid of the devices initially is if you've added it to the Geo-Filter for example or made specific settings for that device then when you connect it back again they'll be there still.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We don't have a public roadmap at the moment unfortunately but we may change that in the future. We will likely go with a 'delete all offline devices button' first as it is probably the simplest solution and then if it continues to be a nuisance for people we can implement it that second way. Reason we don't get rid of the devices initially is if you've added it to the Geo-Filter for example or made specific settings for that device then when you connect it back again they'll be there still.

Hi @Netduma Fraser

The feature that DumaOS desperately needs is a DHCP Lease Time and allow us to whitelist devices to make it an exception from the lease time rule.

This way I can have all devices that connect to my network automatically booted off the administration console after X-hours or X-days except for the devices i specify. 

1. This will allow the devices that were once place in the geo-filter or have certain settings applied to/for it to remain on the network.
  2. This allows all of those IP address to be released back into the DHCP allocation pool.

As it stands right now with DumaOS there is no automated way to account for the scenarios above. Thus requiring administrator intervention to manually clean each device from the pool/administrator's console. 

4 hours ago, DumaGuy said:

Hi @Netduma Fraser

The feature that DumaOS desperately needs is a DHCP Lease Time and allow us to whitelist devices to make it an exception from the lease time rule.

This way I can have all devices that connect to my network automatically booted off the administration console after X-hours or X-days except for the devices i specify. 

1. This will allow the devices that were once place in the geo-filter or have certain settings applied to/for it to remain on the network.
  2. This allows all of those IP address to be released back into the DHCP allocation pool.

As it stands right now with DumaOS there is no automated way to account for the scenarios above. Thus requiring administrator intervention to manually clean each device from the pool/administrator's console. 

I like this idea.  Or don't renew devices with reserved ips

8 hours ago, DumaGuy said:

Hi @Netduma Fraser

Absolutely what I would like to see, so long as I am able to choose to be forced to whitelist my devices, I do not want every device automatically whitelisted with no way of turning this off, this would create the same administrative nightmare. 
Ideally, You would have the router whitelist everything out of the box (current default mode) , but then you would have the user choose to turn on whitelist mode, this would behave as dumaguy explained a "
DHCP Lease Time". You would also include a 'delete all offline devices button' as this would be required for users who wish to use the classic default mode.
I don't feel that this would be taxing for your team to implement now that you have a community-driven solution. ^_^

Guest Killhippie

The trouble is some devices are shown as offline when they go into sleep mode. So dumping all offline devices could mean dumping ones that are part of your LAN. This router used to have access control at release but that was removed, if you have a list of attached devices as mac filtering is useless security do to spoofing you could just delete the ones you don't need any more from that list, Some devices do show a name but its not hard to work out what mac address is associated with each device and name it yourself. Surely a list of attached devices would be simpler and would help make sure no sleeping devices get removed,  like a smart TV for instance that generally go into  deep sleep mode and check for updates now and then. The last thing you want is that smart TV being removed from the LAN so later on nobody can watch Netflix or prime etc as you have to add it again.

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

The trouble is some devices are shown as offline when they go into sleep mode. So dumping all offline devices could mean dumping ones that are part of your LAN. This router used to have access control at release but that was removed, if you have a list of attached devices as mac filtering is useless security do to spoofing you could just delete the ones you don't need any more from that list, Some devices do show a name but its not hard to work out what mac address is associated with each device and name it yourself. Surely a list of attached devices would be simpler and would help make sure no sleeping devices get removed,  like a smart TV for instance that generally go into  deep sleep mode and check for updates now and then. The last thing you want is that smart TV being removed from the LAN so later on nobody can watch Netflix or prime etc as you have to add it again.

Hi @Killhippie,

I'm also going to tag you, @Netduma Fraser, because this information may help clarify what I said in my previous post. However, I'm going to assume you and the rest of the Duma Team know how DHCP lease times work. 

The DHCP Lease Time won't actually hurt devices on you network if they get dropped, assuming you don't have fine tuned settings specifically for those devices based on their IP. If you did have rules based upon the device's IP this is where you would whitelist that device for Duma's sake. 

@Netduma Fraser

To be honest the "whitelist" feature isn't necessary aside from having an encompassing device tree. Once your device comes back on the network it would show back up in the device tree/table. If you wanted the devices to always be there then the "whitelist" should simply be the use of reserved IP addresses. 

Let's take your smart tv scenario for example:

I'm your example you mention the smart TV being offline for X-amount of time and risking being "dropped" from your network. What the DHCP Lease Time is doing would essentially just release the ip address that was assigned to that TV and would remove the TV from the Devices portal. 

The next time that TV is turned on and attempts to connect to the network it will still connect to the network. However, instead of it having the same IP address it did previously, let's say for example... A week ago, it's simply assigned a new IP because a different active device on the network grabbed the TV's old internal IP. 

Just because a device is dropped from the DHCP Lease Time rules does not prevent the device from accessing network the next time it comes online. 

At work I manage Cisco Meraki security appliances, switches, and AP's. I have the network stack configured to drop inactive devices from the allocation pool of they have not been active on the network for 24 hours. Anything that needs to have the same IP, regardless if the device is offline for longer than 24 hours, has a reserved IP.