How to remove offline devices from router?

Guest Killhippie
On 12/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, DumaGuy said:

Hi @Killhippie,

I'm also going to tag you, @Netduma Fraser, because this information may help clarify what I said in my previous post. However, I'm going to assume you and the rest of the Duma Team know how DHCP lease times work. 

The DHCP Lease Time won't actually hurt devices on you network if they get dropped, assuming you don't have fine tuned settings specifically for those devices based on their IP. If you did have rules based upon the device's IP this is where you would whitelist that device for Duma's sake. 

@Netduma Fraser

To be honest the "whitelist" feature isn't necessary aside from having an encompassing device tree. Once your device comes back on the network it would show back up in the device tree/table. If you wanted the devices to always be there then the "whitelist" should simply be the use of reserved IP addresses. 

Let's take your smart tv scenario for example:

I'm your example you mention the smart TV being offline for X-amount of time and risking being "dropped" from your network. What the DHCP Lease Time is doing would essentially just release the ip address that was assigned to that TV and would remove the TV from the Devices portal. 

The next time that TV is turned on and attempts to connect to the network it will still connect to the network. However, instead of it having the same IP address it did previously, let's say for example... A week ago, it's simply assigned a new IP because a different active device on the network grabbed the TV's old internal IP. 

Just because a device is dropped from the DHCP Lease Time rules does not prevent the device from accessing network the next time it comes online. 

At work I manage Cisco Meraki security appliances, switches, and AP's. I have the network stack configured to drop inactive devices from the allocation pool of they have not been active on the network for 24 hours. Anything that needs to have the same IP, regardless if the device is offline for longer than 24 hours, has a reserved IP. 

I use DHCP reservation and have seen devices shown as offline when they are offfline,  and vice versa. The smart TV maybe be shown as offline even though online and then if removed it will get given a new IP even though its been assigned one via DHCP reservation if another device is introduced to the network before it comes online which is not meant to happen. Hence my reticence in a automated process unless things change.

I have had this happen. I tried to see what would happen if when online but showing offline I could delete it, and I could, then I added a old Sky Box that I keep as a spare (Sky Q now but with hybrid wideband LNB for just in case situations) anyway back to routers, the Sky HD box picked up the reserved DHCP for the smart TV, then the smart TV picked up a new IP which it should not have done, this totally confused things as you may imagine. and took a factory reset to sort out as at one point the smart TV had two IP's after removing the Sky box and turning the router off and on (full power down)  Right now DHCP configuration is not working as it should at all and is messing up QoS badly along the way.

If things change in 3.0 all well and good I look forward to trying it and a manual process to remove old devices would be great, I dont trust automated processes with the XR500, pure DumaOS maybe, but having moved onto a different router I'm not getting these issues any more which is great, other bugs, yes as always but the DHCP server is much more robust and does not have a meltdown as it does on the XR500 sometimes under Milestone or more like Headstone 1.3. Hence my suggestion. Also I wonder if this was why access control and attached devices was removed due to conflicts as this was a Netgear feature. I know Mac filtering is awful as a security measure and god forbid any one uses it without a robust password as MAC addresses are so easily spoofed but the feature was useful to see what was on the network and remove things quickly.

Hello. Since I had the same issue as OP, and this appears to be the only relevant search result for it, I figure I'd document how I corrected it:
(Be advised, that this is almost certianly not "supported" by NetDuma or Netgear, and should not be attempted if you do not understand what you are doing. I take no responsibility for anything that results from you attempting any part of these instructions.)

1. Go to http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm (and log in)

2. Check to box to "Enable Telnet"

3. Use a telnet client to connect to "routerlogin.net" (If you don't know how to do this, you might have to search for how to do so on your OS.)

4. Login using the same password that you use for the router's web interface

5. You should see a "DUMA OS" banner and a prompt ("root@XR500:/# ")

6. Enter "./dumaos/clear-device-manager.sh" into the telnet session (and press enter. It should look like "root@XR500:/# ./dumaos/clear-device-manager.sh")

7. Wait until you see "You can safely pull the plug now!". You can now close the telnet session and reboot the router (using the physical button on the back)

8. Wait until the router has rebooted completely (all the lights should be white)

9. Visit routerlogin.net again (and log in, again). All offline devices should now be cleared from the Device Manager

10. The telnet interface should have automatically disabled itself when the router rebooted; however, you can verify this by going to http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm again.

(Note: If your router is not easily physically accessible, you could enter "reboot" (and press enter) into the telnet session instead of using the physical button in step 7; however, I've only tested this once.)

Hopefully this functionality will be accessible through the DumaOS web interface soon:)

• Administrators
On 1/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, SpicyCarrot1550 said:

Hello. Since I had the same issue as OP, and this appears to be the only relevant search result for it, I figure I'd document how I corrected it:
(Be advised, that this is almost certianly not "supported" by NetDuma or Netgear, and should not be attempted if you do not understand what you are doing. I take no responsibility for anything that results from you attempting any part of these instructions.)

Hopefully this functionality will be accessible through the DumaOS web interface soon:)

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Good find, we don't support this method as with connecting to the backend of the router there is always the possibility to do more harm than good. We know people want this functionality so we will include it in future.

• 5 weeks later...

We're going to sort this out in a future firmware update.

As a temporary solution there's a guy on the forums who's making his own tools to control DumaOS. I'm not officially endorsing the tools, use them at your own risk, but they do have a delete all devices function.

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

As a temporary solution there's a guy on the forums who's making his own tools to control DumaOS. I'm not officially endorsing the tools, use them at your own risk, but they do have a delete all devices function.

Future as in DumaOS 3.0, Or later? If later that's crazy as this has been a bane for many users for ages, so I hope you do mean DumaOS 3.0. Also I and I'm sure this person is a honest and means no harm, but I personally wouldn't use some third party software that someone's created to fix a mess that DumaOS has caused, as that's a job for Netduma's devs to fix. I hope this persons code is on GitHub (with a link) so people can make sure it's safe. Once again no offence to the creator of these third-party tools but people need to be sure they are not downloading malware. These tools at the end of the day should not be needed anyway if these issues had been fixed with proper patches sometime in the last year or so...

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

Future as in DumaOS 3.0, Or later? If later that's crazy as this has been a bane for many users for ages, so I hope you do mean DumaOS 3.0. Also I and I'm sure this person is a honest and means no harm, but I personally wouldn't use some third party software that someone's created to fix a mess that DumaOS has caused, as that's a job for Netduma's devs to fix. I hope this persons code is on GitHub (with a link) so people can make sure it's safe. Once again no offence to the creator of these third-party tools but people need to be sure they are not downloading malware. These tools at the end of the day should not be needed anyway if these issues had been fixed with proper patches sometime in the last year or so...

I tend to agree in terms of third party software, which is why we have chosen not to comment on it so far. We don't want to endorse it because we can't be sure it's safe, but we don't want to shut it down because it's a supplement to DumaOS which isn't attempting to replace any functionality.

I agree that putting the code on GitHub would be cool of him.

4 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Having trouble finding this.  Do you have a link to one of the forum posts for the third party DumaOS tools?

1 minute ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Having trouble finding this.  Do you have a link to one of the forum posts for the third party DumaOS tools?

Do you really want to install anything other than trusted software on your router? If it was open source for all to see then at least you would soon see what’s what but it’s your network we are talking about. 

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I won't link to it specifically but it's on the front page of one of the support sub forums currently.

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

Do you really want to install anything other than trusted software on your router? If it was open source for all to see then at least you would soon see what’s what but it’s your network we are talking about. 

Just checking it out.  Probably won't install.  Even trusted firmware/software can have security holes.  I assume that it is Caddy 1.0 that is being referenced.

I think what really needs to be focused on here is the fact that DHCP doesn't work properly with this router atm. And it totally screws up QoS. Even for those who have a small amount of devices this can and does create issues.. I have had my XR500 close to a year and a half now. And nothing has been patched properly over that time period.  There is no sense of urgency when it comes to bugs an issues. Fancy features while are nice doesn't mean a thing if basic fundamentals of the router are broke..

DumaOS 3.0 has a lot ridding on it!  I just sure hope that when it comes out it has addressed a lot of these issues. This being one! The only thing keeping this router alive for me is the GeoFilter. And even that hasn't had the attention that is needed to keep up with miss located servers..

Zippy.

6 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Just checking it out.  Probably won't install.  Even trusted firmware/software can have security holes.  I assume that it is Caddy 1.0 that is being referenced.

They tend to get patched quickly though when discovered or new threats appear.

Guest Killhippie
On 2/6/2020 at 5:53 PM, Netduma Alex said:

I tend to agree in terms of third party software, which is why we have chosen not to comment on it so far. We don't want to endorse it because we can't be sure it's safe, but we don't want to shut it down because it's a supplement to DumaOS which isn't attempting to replace any functionality.

I agree that putting the code on GitHub would be cool of him.

If you cant be sure its safe you really should not host it at all to protect your user base. Also its not an official supplement to DumaOS so surely you can get the guy to give you the code and get it looked over by your devs or ask that it be posted on GitHub and not let it be linked on the forum until its been deemed safe, I mean do you know anything about the code people are installing? Security is vitally important and I'm sure the user offering these tools means no harm but nobody seems to know if these tools are completely safe for users and their hardware, also surely you need to know that the tools are not corrupting the routers firmware and memory too or sending private data back to a third party, let alone carrying a nasty payload. In theory the user could be creating a botnet using XR users routers that are just downloading a tool created by a random individual on a forum. <sigh>  You also neatly side stepped the question about this issue being fixed in DumaOS 3.0. So will this issue be fixed in the upcoming 3.0 release, surely that would be something for users with this issue to look forward to if it has and then they wont need this tool...

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

If you cant be sure its safe you really should not host it at all to protect your user base. Also its not an official supplement to DumaOS so surely you can get the guy to give you the code and get it looked over by your devs or ask that it be posted on GitHub and not let it be linked on the forum until its been deemed safe, I mean do you know anything about the code people are just installing? Security is vitally important and I'm sure the user offering these tools means no harm but nobody seems to know if these tools are completely safe for users and their hardware, also surely you need to know that the tools are not corrupting the routers firmware and memory too or sending private data back to a third party, let alone carrying a nasty payload. In theory the user could be creating a botnet using XR users routers that are just downloading a tool created by a random individual on a forum. <sigh>  You also neatly side stepped the question about this issue being fixed in DumaOS 3.0. So will this issue be fixed in the upcoming 3.0 release, surely that would be something for users with this issue to look forward to if it has and then they wont need this tool...

Yeah I dodged the question on purpose. Not allowed to talk about specific upcoming features, sorry.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah I dodged the question on purpose. Not allowed to talk about specific upcoming features, sorry.

Its not a feature its a fix...

On 2/6/2020 at 4:49 PM, Killhippie said:

but I personally wouldn't use some third party software that someone's created to fix a mess that DumaOS has caused, as that's a job for Netduma's devs to fix. I hope this persons code is on GitHub (with a link) so people can make sure it's safe. Once again no offence to the creator of these third-party tools but people need to be sure they are not downloading malware. These tools at the end of the day should not be needed anyway if these issues had been fixed with proper patches sometime in the last year or so...

I made the tool for myself and over the last couple of years it has evolved, first i made for the r1, then when duma os came out, i had to remake it all, and learnt new things. So i havent made it to fix a mess i made it to help me, i mearly mentioned it a year ago or so, but never mentioned it again untill a couple weeks ago, there were forum useres who requested a copy of it, but at that time it was not user friendly or anything like that it was just for me, but im ok in sharing. So i had 2 weeks off work first full 2 weeks in many years, and had the time to actually make it to a point i could share it, and with some feedback and more time it evolved slightly more. Im not sure whats available in the sense of scanning for virus,trojan,malware,spyware, etc. but anyone can feel free to test it in a Sandboxie or simular. I am familier with github i have landed on that site while researching, but im pretty sure the format i script/code in is not compatible. The only other feedback i get other than comments in forums, the site i use to get the server information have given me a free licence for 50thousand requests for lookup per month. so i will know how many requests have been made.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:55 PM, Newfie said:

The app does not install on any router, its a standalone exe that registers a activex so i can use its functions. This is just a hobby, and i dont require anything to be trusted, just a use at your own risk. 

On 2/7/2020 at 8:36 AM, Killhippie said:

If you cant be sure its safe you really should not host it at all to protect your user base. Also its not an official supplement to DumaOS so surely you can get the guy to give you the code and get it looked over by your devs or ask that it be posted on GitHub and not let it be linked on the forum until its been deemed safe, I mean do you know anything about the code people are installing? Security is vitally important and I'm sure the user offering these tools means no harm but nobody seems to know if these tools are completely safe for users and their hardware, also surely you need to know that the tools are not corrupting the routers firmware and memory too or sending private data back to a third party, let alone carrying a nasty payload. In theory the user could be creating a botnet using XR users routers that are just downloading a tool created by a random individual on a forum. <sigh>  You also neatly side stepped the question about this issue being fixed in DumaOS 3.0. So will this issue be fixed in the upcoming 3.0 release, surely that would be something for users with this issue to look forward to if it has and then they wont need this tool...

My intention is not for it to be a supplement, my intentions is if you have a use for it then you can use it. its a use at your own risk kinds thing which i had stated in the other topics. basicaly almost everything its doing it can be done by hand. 

On 2/7/2020 at 2:36 AM, Killhippie said:

I think you are misplacing your frustration with the duma os and the dev team by targeting a guy who made a tool that is very useful if you want to hyperlane ports for cod and want a delete all offline devices function.  People want his tool and if they want to use it, what harm does it cause you?  If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.  But don't try to get it removed from the rest of us.

23 minutes ago, Brainbleach said:

I think you are misplacing your frustration with the duma os and the dev team by targeting a guy who made a tool that is very useful if you want to hyperlane ports for cod and want a delete all offline devices function.  People want his tool and if they want to use it, what harm does it cause you?  If you don't want to use it, then don't use it.  But don't try to get it removed from the rest of us.

I’ve not seen Killhippie ask for it to be removed, I think like a few of us we just want to make sure it’s safe and would like to know it’s interaction within the routers software. 

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

I’ve not seen Killhippie ask for it to be removed, I think like a few of us we just want to make sure it’s safe and would like to know it’s interaction within the routers software. 

If you go to any router web page, there is things u see and dont. I use these elements. Then with basic coding I can do specific stuff. Like if X device is offline then remove. So I only interact with the gui.

Guest Killhippie
3 hours ago, Brainbleach said:

I have never asked for it to be removed. As to assuming my intentions you are way off the mark as i just want to make sure people don't end up with malware, that simple.