XR500 DDwrt Firmware

I have two Netgear XR500 routers and I want to be able to download DDwrt to one of them but for some reason it keeps bricking it and I have to use tftp to force it back to the stock frimware. Is there anyone that could help me with my situation ? if so I would very much appreciate it !

Sorry, we will not help you to install software that is not Netduma's DumaOS as this is a forum for that software. It is not supported on DD-WRT's website hardware compatability listing.  Sorry but you are going to have to seek alternative resources to reach your goal.

2 hours ago, jdmefsir said:

then why would you buy a router that has a software like dumaos on it? you could have went with any other router if your just going to install ddwrt

Because I have two of them and one was given to me thats why !

As with any third party firmware, you're on your own when it comes to getting it working. Just to make sure you're aware, installing anything unofficial will void your warranty. It's also possible that you won't be able to return your device to the stock OS once it's been modified, and it could end up bricked. As such, we can't support you in this endeavour.

If you need help with installing DDwrt, i'd try asking on the DDwrt forums. Looks like they don't support any of our routers though.

I would be interested to know though: what features of DDwrt are you interested in that DumaOS isn't providing? Or are you just doing it for fun since you have a spare router? We're always looking for suggestions to improve DumaOS.

9 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

As with any third party firmware, you're on your own when it comes to getting it working. Just to make sure you're aware, installing anything unofficial will void your warranty. It's also possible that you won't be able to return your device to the stock OS once it's been modified, and it could end up bricked. As such, we can't support you in this endeavour.

If you need help with installing DDwrt, i'd try asking on the DDwrt forums. Looks like they don't support any of our routers though.

I would be interested to know though: what features of DDwrt are you interested in that DumaOS isn't providing? Or are you just doing it for fun since you have a spare router? We're always looking for suggestions to improve DumaOS.

Dont get me wrong you guys make a fantastic product ! Im just doing this for fun and want to test, for myself, if there is any performance difference between the two routers. Gives me something to do in my spare time. I appreciate the fast response. Keep up the good work !

3 hours ago, MRxFUZZ said:

Dont get me wrong you guys make a fantastic product ! Im just doing this for fun and want to test, for myself, if there is any performance difference between the two routers. Gives me something to do in my spare time. I appreciate the fast response. Keep up the good work !

If you go onto DDwrt site you should likely get help there on there forum..  If you are looking for a third party firmware id recommend Voxels. He is a third party firmware guy for Netgears routers. Im sure if you can install Voxels firmware you are very likely to have better performance. He fixes and modifies all the issues Netgear doesn't in his firmware. Not to mention a lot of Netgear engineers hide out there also.. Check out SNB! 

Zippy.

2 hours ago, MRxFUZZ said:

I will have to look into that ! Thanks Zippy for the response. 

Your welcome! Give it a look!  Imo if it wasn't for guys like Voxel, Merlin and such, routers like Netgear and ASUS would be very much lost with out them..  Reach out to Voxel.. He will tell you if he supports the XR500.. Good luck!

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
4 hours ago, Zippy said:

Your welcome! Give it a look!  Imo if it wasn't for guys like Voxel, Merlin and such, routers like Netgear and ASUS would be very much lost with out them..  Reach out to Voxel.. He will tell you if he supports the XR500.. Good luck!

Zippy.

Shame Voxel does not have a XR500 and the ability to update the really old code in the XR router line up. Who pays Hundreds for a XR300 (no Hybrid VPN) XR450, XR500 or XR700 to have modules from 13 years ago or even old versions of OpenSSL which is needed for OpenVPN (and I guess DumaOS's Hybrid VPN too, as it uses hardware acceleration on the XR500, but obviously I cannot be sure) for its 256-bit OpenSSL encryption. Anyway the XR500's OpenSSL version 1.02n is from December 2017, not exactly current or really that secure. I know I go on about this stuff, but it should be current, as Voxels and Merlins firmware versions are. If people with full time jobs like Voxel can compile the firmware with new packages, why cant a huge company like Netgear do it, or their partners 😒

13 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Shame Voxel does not have a XR500 and the ability to update the really old code in the XR router line up. Who pays Hundreds for a XR300 (no Hybrid VPN) XR450, XR500 or XR700 to have modules from 13 years ago or even old versions of OpenSSL which is needed for OpenVPN (and I guess DumaOS's Hybrid VPN too, as it uses hardware acceleration on the XR500, but obviously I cannot be sure) for its 256-bit OpenSSL encryption. Anyway the XR500's OpenSSL version 1.02n is from December 2017, not exactly current or really that secure. I know I go on about this stuff, but it should be current, as Voxels and Merlins firmware versions are. If people with full time jobs like Voxel can compile the firmware with new packages, why cant a huge company like Netgear do it, or their partners 😒

I was wondering about if Voxel had the XR500 in his sights! Shame it isn't.. I totally agree with you and don't worry your not going on about it.. Im with you on that.. Out dated modules or modules that shouldn't be in there that cause issues are things im sure are causing issues.. How much would you bet that part of the so called debugging process involves updating modules and removing modules that shouldn't be there or are causing conflict.. Im sure you know where im going with this.. Things like this just make me scratch my head.. I really do wish Netgear would spend more time on the XR series..  So many new things coming down the pipeline the XR gets put on the backburner. That's my feeling anyway..

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, JimPaps said:

A firmware update for what? The router is working as intended. 

Because their are QoS issues reported by people, DPI false positives, port mapping in table view in DumaOS being the opposite way round to Netgears base Firmware view (Its a Netgear router so DumaOS runs on top of Netgears firmware on the XR range) devices showing online when not and vice versa plus a hotfix not in the main firmware fork for disconnects amongst other reports of issues since milestone 1.3. So no the router is not working as intended, unless broken is the intended way and I'm pretty sure Netduma and Netgear know that's not what they want and are working to fix these bugs and maybe taking longer to make sure they get squashed properly. Also there will always security issues to fix at some point and don't forget your version of UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd  is 13 years old so bang up to date! So yep its doing well...  ;)

Just to let you know, we're not abandoning our existing routers. We're working hard every day on updates, I can see the team across from me doing so right now!

I agree it's been a while since we've released any updates but believe me it's coming. I'm not allowed to say what exactly will be in the updates or when they're coming, which I appreciate must be really annoying, but I know for a fact they're coming!

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 6:18 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Just to let you know, we're not abandoning our existing routers. We're working hard every day on updates, I can see the team across from me doing so right now!

I agree it's been a while since we've released any updates but believe me it's coming. I'm not allowed to say what exactly will be in the updates or when they're coming, which I appreciate must be really annoying, but I know for a fact they're coming!

Yet here we are, 2 more months on the books with no news and no firmwares. This router is closer to being obsolete then getting updates at this point.

I don’t care whose fault it is, NetGear or NetDuma - it will be my last of either. I am sorry but I have reached my patience limit and will make sure my next router is properly supported. 

• Administrators

There is an update being tested at the moment so hopefully that will be released soon. I realise it is frustrating but very frequent updates isn't something every company can do and for something as important as a router it's vital to not hurry out updates.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There is an update being tested at the moment so hopefully that will be released soon. I realise it is frustrating but very frequent updates isn't something every company can do and for something as important as a router it's vital to not hurry out updates.

That's excellent news Fraser! Hope they test the heck out of that firmware. Honestly I cant wait to see what this XR500 can do in all its glory! 👍

Zippy.

• 8 months later...
16 minutes ago, hell12309 said:

im having trouble i let someone use my wifi and they installed some custom firmware on it and ive tried multiple time reinstalling the duma OS firmware in it but no luck can u guys help me

Capture.PNG

Sorry, but you have voided your warrantee by doing this or letting another third party do this for you. I think you will find this correct as it is in your terms and conditions that came with your router. Netduma will confirm this I am sure very soon.

Also please don't create multiple threads or multiple comments asking the same question as responses will be made as soon as possible. Your other comments have been deleted as they are duplicate to this 1.

Edited just now by BIG__DOG

11 minutes ago, hell12309 said:

i didn't do this on purpose someone else did this and anyway i had this router for a long time so i think they already made my warranty void like i said somebody else did this

That will make no difference as the original firmware has been deliberately removed. Netduma will confirm this soon enough.   @Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex

1 hour ago, hell12309 said:

thats completely stupid even if its not my fault i hate it when u cant help me fix the control panel im so pissed right now

No need to swear. As stated it is in the terms and conditions as it is in all electrical devices that if the product is altered deliberately in any way then it voids the warrantee. Netduma will make the final decision so be patient and wait for their response. They may say it is a Netgear decision as it is actually their router.

You could try installing the base firmware by netgear if you know the version you need then install the dumaOS XR500 firmware from there but thats only a suggestion as a last resort but it is the same as dd-wrt or openwrt you install these firmwares at your own risk.

3 hours ago, hell12309 said:

im having trouble i let someone use my wifi and they installed some custom firmware on it and ive tried multiple time reinstalling the duma OS firmware in it but no luck can u guys help me

Capture.PNG

You have to flash back via TFTP. Follow the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client to setup a TFTP client on your PC with the stock firmware image set as the local file to be flashed.

You then turn off your router, press and hold reset button and turn router on whilst keeping the reset button pressed in. The power LED will eventually start blinking white, once this occurs release the reset button. At this point go back to your PC with TFTP client and then click the put button and it will start flashing. The router will then automatically reboot upon completion. You may also have to do a factory reset in stock firmware once it's restored.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317920

Guest Killhippie
On 5/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, Netduma Alex said:

As with any third party firmware, you're on your own when it comes to getting it working. Just to make sure you're aware, installing anything unofficial will void your warranty.

So would that effect Caddy then, as that interacts with Netgears firmware?