Please read this everyone now for cod mw2019

Network monitor feature  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see it reinstalled in future updates

• Yes i would
    • No thanks

On 12/4/2018 at 4:42 PM, lllRL said:

Thanks for bumping or I never would have seen this. This is a great idea.

It took me forever to find out the network monitor showed ports in use, but once I discovered that I used it to put the hyper lane to good use. If you don't like the idea of a preset which includes a range of thousands of ports, you can use it to create useful advanced/manual rules. I don't really know for sure what choosing a one way rule (for example UDP 3074 destination) really did on the old firmware (is that like setting source to 1-65535?) but CoD and Battlefield games, for example, don't send and receive game data over just one port - you send from a fixed single port, but the receiving server port will always vary. For example in CoD the player will be designated 3074, while the server port would range between 30000 and 50000:

_20181208_162005.JPG.9115a78054b006b88ee512b52019638f.JPG_20181208_162027.JPG.f509ec33841c6c12321abc12e35a68f8.JPG

The new traffic prioritisation feature on DumaOS is great but you can't set it up properly if you don't know which ports you're trying to download traffic from lol

I've tried rules like destination 3074 source 30000-50000 but it doesn't seem to work; you either get a very small amount of traffic being prioritised before the "light" goes off in game, or you get both upload and download packets being prioritised which, frankly, should be impossible if the destination is your console (download). 

I've gone back to old firmware (1.03.6) myself while I do some more testing and monitoring of ports in game, because my connections in any game on low pings have been nothing short of disgusting. 

This is the level of specificity I have been looking to achieve for quite some time.  I feel like it is more effective than just putting ALL console/game packets through the hyperlane.  I want to identify the specific game traffic ports being used for essential data (player movement, game assets, etc.) as opposed to stat tracking, voip, etc. and prioritize only those. 

If you could figure out how to set up the manual port rules in the advanced settings for traffic prioritization/hyperlane for Black Ops 4, that would be awesome!  The traffic prioritization advanced options in Duma OS are not intuitive at all, so some guidance would be helpful.  Certainly worth a try for the little extra boost it might give.

2 hours ago, Scrizzy said:

This is the level of specificity I have been looking to achieve for quite some time.  I feel like it is more effective than just putting ALL console/game packets through the hyperlane.  I want to identify the specific game traffic ports being used for essential data (player movement, game assets, etc.) as opposed to stat tracking, voip, etc. and prioritize only those. 

If you could figure out how to set up the manual port rules in the advanced settings for traffic prioritization/hyperlane for Black Ops 4, that would be awesome!  The traffic prioritization advanced options in Duma OS are not intuitive at all, so some guidance would be helpful.  Certainly worth a try for the little extra boost it might give.

It was actually was one of your posts here that I found a while back which got me interested in tweaking and fine tuning it to my liking :)

Screenshot_20181212-195607.thumb.png.78d6064f574e3879cd8e71c37dab6821.png

I just never really knew what to do with the old firmware's hyper lane since it wasn't really clear what did what if you didn't choose "both" for direction. Since traffic prioritisation gives us more control, it's only logical that we find the most vital port/s for our games and throw them in there ;)

Unfortunately until we get the ability to see the ports in use for our games, as we could with the old network monitor, we'd have to resort to guesswork or bridging our connections through PCs to run a Wireshark capture. At least if you play on Steam it'd be a little simpler lol

Hey bud, i like yr idea / post and have voted.

I have the XR500 and have noted the different ports (with upnp enabled) used when playing BO4 on the PS4.

I usually just do portforwarding with the known ports but have on occassion also enabled upnp to see the additional ports used. I'll update from my side if the experience improves with 'those' ports added to ports i have already forwarded and thereafter disabling upnp (as it would defeat the purpose if i left it enabled).

I voted!! excellent post!! Ive also noticed ports changing. And there is absolutely no pattern to them.. Does anyone know how we could do a work around on this? Thanks!

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Zippy said:

I voted!! excellent post!! Ive also noticed ports changing. And there is absolutely no pattern to them.. Does anyone know how we could do a work around on this? Thanks!

The console services/DumaOS Classified Games encompass all the possible ports the game could use so if you use them the game will be prioritized properly

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The console services/DumaOS Classified Games encompass all the possible ports the game could use so if you use them the game will be prioritized properly

Thank you Fraser. That's good to know! My question is say if 3074 udp port is the main port it seems for xbox. Are there other ports that get mapped into just that one port 3074 udp? Im confused a bit why I see other port numbers having udp protocol that never show up in UPnP.. All I ever see is 3074 udp but yet I know there are other udp ports that are involved. And some of them seem to be random and always change each game. Is this all normal?  Thanks again and I hope what im asking makes sense.. lol..

I'd recommend finding out which ports are in communication with 3074 on the server end. 3074 is only one half of the equation, because that's only the port used on the console (not the server). I've only ever tested this for BO3 and IW for myself, but the server port is usually between 30000-60000. However Battle(non)sense's netcode analysis videos for WW2 and BO4 also show that a port from 30000 onwards is still used on the server end:

Screenshot_20181230-025514.thumb.png.10050620317906aaf647083d192f8fe4.pngScreenshot_20181230-025644.thumb.png.c13fc4803ea0b6e3739392cc397ae411.png

Anyone here on the old Netduma firmware can confirm this by connecting to online services and clicking on the bandwidth bar spikes for both downstream and upstream traffic on the network monitor like this:

_20181230_030032.thumb.JPG.41b510998d6e0db555ba815d5636ab98.JPG

I recommend finding out the appropriate range of ports like this because setting up a rule like src 3074 dst 1-65535 only covers upload traffic, and if you try to set up two rules (3074 as src 1-65535 as dst and vice versa) traffic prio will say failed to install because lanes overlap. However if you set up rules like this it works just fine, meaning you prioritise two way traffic:

Screenshot_20181230-025414.thumb.png.34957ad9fb61a773b14cb2a296cecc36.png

Then just make sure to test it works because getting the light to come on is wonky at times. I've previously set up a rule for downstream traffic only and it refused to work at all, which doesn't make sense considering 3074 is constant as the destination for us when downloading and as the source for us when uploading. 

Also here are some Wireshark captures from my own testing on CoD, showing port 3074 on the console end in communication with ports in the 40000s on the server end:

2009573586_Screenshot(69).thumb.png.0b0334a24e2de68054626c99305519b7.png2013045962_Screenshot(103).thumb.png.ab811a014a097c41452e0fd5057f8090.png

2 hours ago, lllRL said:

I'd recommend finding out which ports are in communication with 3074 on the server end. 3074 is only one half of the equation, because that's only the port used on the console (not the server). I've only ever tested this for BO3 and IW for myself, but the server port is usually between 30000-60000. However Battle(non)sense's netcode analysis videos for WW2 and BO4 also show that a port from 30000 onwards is still used on the server end:

Screenshot_20181230-025514.thumb.png.10050620317906aaf647083d192f8fe4.pngScreenshot_20181230-025644.thumb.png.c13fc4803ea0b6e3739392cc397ae411.png

Anyone here on the old Netduma firmware can confirm this by connecting to online services and clicking on the bandwidth bar spikes for both downstream and upstream traffic on the network monitor like this:

_20181230_030032.thumb.JPG.41b510998d6e0db555ba815d5636ab98.JPG

I recommend finding out the appropriate range of ports like this because setting up a rule like src 3074 dst 1-65535 only covers upload traffic, and if you try to set up two rules (3074 as src 1-65535 as dst and vice versa) traffic prio will say failed to install because lanes overlap. However if you set up rules like this it works just fine, meaning you prioritise two way traffic:

Screenshot_20181230-025414.thumb.png.34957ad9fb61a773b14cb2a296cecc36.png

Then just make sure to test it works because getting the light to come on is wonky at times. I've previously set up a rule for downstream traffic only and it refused to work at all, which doesn't make sense considering 3074 is constant as the destination for us when downloading and as the source for us when uploading. 

Also here are some Wireshark captures from my own testing on CoD, showing port 3074 on the console end in communication with ports in the 40000s on the server end:

2009573586_Screenshot(69).thumb.png.0b0334a24e2de68054626c99305519b7.png2013045962_Screenshot(103).thumb.png.ab811a014a097c41452e0fd5057f8090.png

Very interesting, Thank you for sharing! :)

26 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Very interesting, Thank you for sharing! :)

My pleasure. Most will prefer to just pick a preset and forget about it, but I know there are quite a few tweakers here on the forum lol. I was only inspired to take a deeper look into it once I read Scrizzy's old post asking for help with customising rules for hyper lane, and once I learned more about how networking works on CoD I learned how to find out what was going on in our games with Wireshark.

I don't think I'd have gone to such lengths if it wasn't for A7Legit's swearing on hyper lane making all the difference with the quality of his games! Of course if you can find just one or two ports that are vital to the experience we have in games, it makes sense to place a higher priority on those than any others. 

If anyone here wants to do the same kind of testing, it's a piece of cake if you're on PC. If you're on console, you just need to bridge your connection from R1 to console through a PC by going to the Network & Sharing Centre, clicking change adapter settings and then left clicking one your ethernet adapters (or WiFi if you're using both), pressing shift and right clicking the other to give you the option to "bridge connections". Then you just download and open Wireshark, wait for it to scan for interfaces, and click on whichever connection leads to the console in use. It's a pretty cool trick for those like me who enjoy in-depth testing. 

Before I'd even heard of Netduma, I used this in AW to figure out why connections were atrocious when Sledgehammer Games claimed "ping is king". Wireshark proved I was spending most of my time connecting to the Seattle server on the west coast of the US, which speaks volumes when you live just outside London. Of course if I had a Netduma, it would have been a tad easier getting that proof ;)

3 hours ago, lllRL said:

My pleasure. Most will prefer to just pick a preset and forget about it, but I know there are quite a few tweakers here on the forum lol. I was only inspired to take a deeper look into it once I read Scrizzy's old post asking for help with customising rules for hyper lane, and once I learned more about how networking works on CoD I learned how to find out what was going on in our games with Wireshark.

I don't think I'd have gone to such lengths if it wasn't for A7Legit's swearing on hyper lane making all the difference with the quality of his games! Of course if you can find just one or two ports that are vital to the experience we have in games, it makes sense to place a higher priority on those than any others. 

If anyone here wants to do the same kind of testing, it's a piece of cake if you're on PC. If you're on console, you just need to bridge your connection from R1 to console through a PC by going to the Network & Sharing Centre, clicking change adapter settings and then left clicking one your ethernet adapters (or WiFi if you're using both), pressing shift and right clicking the other to give you the option to "bridge connections". Then you just download and open Wireshark, wait for it to scan for interfaces, and click on whichever connection leads to the console in use. It's a pretty cool trick for those like me who enjoy in-depth testing. 

Before I'd even heard of Netduma, I used this in AW to figure out why connections were atrocious when Sledgehammer Games claimed "ping is king". Wireshark proved I was spending most of my time connecting to the Seattle server on the west coast of the US, which speaks volumes when you live just outside London. Of course if I had a Netduma, it would have been a tad easier getting that proof ;)

are you using these port numbers in conjunction with port forwarding or upnp?

38 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

are you using these port numbers in conjunction with port forwarding or upnp?

Either works really, as long as UPnP or port forwarding (or DMZ if you need it) gets you an open NAT. Ports like the 30k-60k range for CoD don't need to be forwarded for you to be sending/receiving packets over them. I daresay you only need 3074 forwarded because that's the port you connect to other players with through the Demonware matchmaking server (although sometimes it appears TCP 3074 handles this too). Game traffic still appears to pass through 3074 even if you don't have an open NAT. 

Very interesting IIIRL. You have made a rule for incoming traffic does that mean dumaos doesn’t prioritize incoming traffic in the dumaos classified games rule? Or that rule handle both incoming and outgoing traffic already ?

2 hours ago, plb said:

Very interesting IIIRL. You have made a rule for incoming traffic does that mean dumaos doesn’t prioritize incoming traffic in the dumaos classified games rule? Or that rule handle both incoming and outgoing traffic already ?

In this case 3074 source and 30000-60000 destination would be upstream/outgoing traffic, whereas 30000-60000 source and 3074 would be downstream/incoming traffic. That's what this setup would cover in full:

Screenshot_20181230-025414.thumb.png.eac07b3e956f8e9e59f1fe8fe13c5bbe.png

The classified games setup automatically detects game traffic but we don't really know what that includes, and it could well be prioritising less important ports and giving them equal priority to more vital ones. This method just allows us to have full control. 

Yes but do you think it detects/ prioritize downstream/incoming traffic too? I’m under the impression it could equally prioritize less important console traffic sometimes 

57 minutes ago, lllRL said:

In this case 3074 source and 30000-60000 destination would be upstream/outgoing traffic, whereas 30000-60000 source and 3074 would be downstream/incoming traffic. That's what this setup would cover in full:

Screenshot_20181230-025414.thumb.png.eac07b3e956f8e9e59f1fe8fe13c5bbe.png

The classified games setup automatically detects game traffic but we don't really know what that includes, and it could well be prioritising less important ports and giving them equal priority to more vital ones. This method just allows us to have full control. 

IIIRL you are definitely on to something here. Excellent job on doing some homework on this.. I actually may try the same range you did. You don't happen to have played Halo5 have you? Id be curious to see what range of ports you get on that game. I currently have the XR500 and not quite sure if I can bridge my connection like you did with the R1 to test for myself. I had a ASUS router before and that would always give me detailed info on what ports were vital and whether they were udp or tcp. and one could prioritize from there. But sad thing is this Netgear XR500 doesn't seem to give much for info in this department.. What I find interesting is the range you have set up I think would cover the range I recall when playing H5. I always seen udp ports 30000-60000. Im just not totally sure if any would fallout of that range. I don't think so but again not a 100% sure. If you have anything you would recommend im all ears.. Currently I don't feel im getting a smooth lane of traffic in both directions.. Again if you care to share anything else id like to hear it. I do actually find this interesting and very good info and would really like to play H5 the way it was meant to be played.. Thanks again!

I've set up the same range as you have as a benchmark and instantly had better gameplay.......as for the duma classified games prioritising the same ports......i have been using it and other trial and error settings but non have given me this positive effect.

Thanx for the share.

I have also done the bridge setup prior to buying the XR500 but nva had wireshark hooked up.

Will run that test as well to see what i get.

3 hours ago, plb said:

Yes but do you think it detects/ prioritize downstream/incoming traffic too? I’m under the impression it could equally prioritize less important console traffic sometimes 

I have no idea. You'd have to ask the Netduma team how they determine which packets are identified as related to gaming and what the preset does once it's identified them. I'd assume any port (1 through 65535, TCP and UDP) could be identified as relevant to gaming depending on whatever you're playing, and it would prioritise them accordingly. Or it might only prioritise upstream traffic 🤔

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

IIIRL you are definitely on to something here. Excellent job on doing some homework on this.. I actually may try the same range you did. You don't happen to have played Halo5 have you? Id be curious to see what range of ports you get on that game. I currently have the XR500 and not quite sure if I can bridge my connection like you did with the R1 to test for myself. I had a ASUS router before and that would always give me detailed info on what ports were vital and whether they were udp or tcp. and one could prioritize from there. But sad thing is this Netgear XR500 doesn't seem to give much for info in this department.. What I find interesting is the range you have set up I think would cover the range I recall when playing H5. I always seen udp ports 30000-60000. Im just not totally sure if any would fallout of that range. I don't think so but again not a 100% sure. If you have anything you would recommend im all ears.. Currently I don't feel im getting a smooth lane of traffic in both directions.. Again if you care to share anything else id like to hear it. I do actually find this interesting and very good info and would really like to play H5 the way it was meant to be played.. Thanks again!

I'm afraid I haven't mate. According to my old XBL profile's "recent players list" or whatever I haven't played Halo since 2008 LOL. I just did a search online to see if I could find any netcode analyses done on it but couldn't find anything 😕 unless you figure out what it's using through trial and error you might need to use Wireshark yourself.

The bridging process just means getting a PC or laptop in between your XR500 and console (I'm assuming you're on console anyway... if you're on PC it's so much easier as you simply open Wireshark lol). If you have a PC you might be able to use two ethernet cables in the setup, but since you're only checking it for port usage and connecting quality isn't important, you can just connect your laptop or PC to the XR500 and run a cable from laptop/PC to console, or vice versa. Bridging is as simple as highlighting the two adapters in the Network & Sharing Centre and right clicking to get the option to "bridge connections". You'd hit change adapter settings here on the left:

1766791297_Screenshot(71).thumb.png.dc269c84dfa2cc55f8959aa9a92525ce.png

Then find the appropriate adapters here:

1805041849_Screenshot(72).thumb.png.9d5c15db035692c7bcb50c5800300bc7.png

For me, I would left click Ethernet, press and hold shift on the keyboard, then left click WiFi. Once both were highlighted blue I'd right click and hit bridge connections, and voilà :D I found it easier to connect my laptop with WiFi and then run a cable to my PS4 and set that up with a wired connection, because I'm used to seeing Ethernet with a moving "traffic bar" in Wireshark when scanning interfaces. Bit confusing because I just said Ethernet, but here you'll see the correct interface (with traffic movement next to the interface name) and for this image that's WiFi. It's only because these are the only screenshots I've got on my phone as I tried to help someone else here use Wireshark with screenshot tips :) you'll see the little squiggle anyway, while everything else is flatlining:

1137440741_Screenshot(65).thumb.png.a231d192d9a0f40bca5c6446c19c6776.png

If you can't be bothered with all that, I guess you could just start tinkering with port numbers under traffic prio until you see the red light pop up lol