Please read this everyone now for cod mw2019

Network monitor feature  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see it reinstalled in future updates

• Yes i would
    • No thanks

55 minutes ago, lllRL said:

I'm afraid I haven't mate. According to my old XBL profile's "recent players list" or whatever I haven't played Halo since 2008 LOL. I just did a search online to see if I could find any netcode analyses done on it but couldn't find anything 😕 unless you figure out what it's using through trial and error you might need to use Wireshark yourself.

The bridging process just means getting a PC or laptop in between your XR500 and console (I'm assuming you're on console anyway... if you're on PC it's so much easier as you simply open Wireshark lol). If you have a PC you might be able to use two ethernet cables in the setup, but since you're only checking it for port usage and connecting quality isn't important, you can just connect your laptop or PC to the XR500 and run a cable from laptop/PC to console, or vice versa. Bridging is as simple as highlighting the two adapters in the Network & Sharing Centre and right clicking to get the option to "bridge connections". You'd hit change adapter settings here on the left:

1766791297_Screenshot(71).thumb.png.dc269c84dfa2cc55f8959aa9a92525ce.png

Then find the appropriate adapters here:

1805041849_Screenshot(72).thumb.png.9d5c15db035692c7bcb50c5800300bc7.png

For me, I would left click Ethernet, press and hold shift on the keyboard, then left click WiFi. Once both were highlighted blue I'd right click and hit bridge connections, and voilà :D I found it easier to connect my laptop with WiFi and then run a cable to my PS4 and set that up with a wired connection, because I'm used to seeing Ethernet with a moving "traffic bar" in Wireshark when scanning interfaces. Bit confusing because I just said Ethernet, but here you'll see the correct interface (with traffic movement next to the interface name) and for this image that's WiFi. It's only because these are the only screenshots I've got on my phone as I tried to help someone else here use Wireshark with screenshot tips :) you'll see the little squiggle anyway, while everything else is flatlining:

1137440741_Screenshot(65).thumb.png.a231d192d9a0f40bca5c6446c19c6776.png

If you can't be bothered with all that, I guess you could just start tinkering with port numbers under traffic prio until you see the red light pop up lol

Thank you for the detailed info on how to do this with Wireshark! I greatly appreciate this.. Im going to tinker a bit first and see what happens..  Thanks again!

I've added ports 9307 and 9308 as well as both wireshark and the XR500's upnp reported these in use.

Even the previously listed servers that i have tagged as bad and even tried blocking/denying (which never worked from day 1) are now giving me alot better gameplay.

I dont want to jinx anything but this work around will help alot of guys.

Cheers to even better connections and gameplay.

9 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

I've added ports 9307 and 9308 as well as both wireshark and the XR500's upnp reported these in use.

Even the previously listed servers that i have tagged as bad and even tried blocking/denying (which never worked from day 1) are now giving me alot better gameplay.

I dont want to jinx anything but this work around will help alot of guys.

Cheers to even better connections and gameplay.

As far as I know 9307 relates to party chat and 9308 is just what you need to connect to PSN in the first place - perhaps prioritising 9308 could help with the overall experience on any game. Let me know how it goes for you 👍

Tip: remember to use the tag feature on Wireshark to make it easier to sift through packets. I typically just type in UDP since I'd be looking for stuff relevant to CoD, but I have also used it to check info on ICMP pings after using PingPlotter before. 

When you reach the first screen of Wireshark, before you double click an adapter to start a capture, check the IP of that connection. If you're bridging it shouldn't be 192.168.88.x like most devices connected to an R1 (does the XR500 have the 192.168.88.x range too?) might be, for example, but it would still show up as a local IP. Mine here was 192.168.137.136:

429051235_Screenshot(103).thumb.png.8769b89aa9b37a75f1c3e2a3d4d25df7.png

If you identify that and then the server you're connecting to, you can click either source or destination at the top and order your packets so that only one direction of traffic is visible at a time, just to keep things tidy and easy to flick through. You'll notice I also have the UDP filter applied (make sure to hit the arrow just to the left of "expression" at the end of the bar to apply). 

Another tip: at the top left you'll see a blue fin or a red stop icon; one will be greyed out depending on whether the capture is running or has been stopped. When it's running you'll see a total number of packets captured at the bottom right of the screen, and which percentage of those are visible if you have a filter applied. If you stop the capture and delete the UDP filter to display everything again, the packet counter on the bottom right will now show you if you've had any packet loss at any point during the capture :)

17 minutes ago, RedBull2k said:

If anyone interested I have made a small exe that will instantly show you the ports being used along with ip address Currently only work's on dumaos

I'd like to see this on Github 🙂

1 hour ago, RedBull2k said:

If anyone interested I have made a small exe that will instantly show you the ports being used along with ip address Currently only work's on dumaos

Can it be used on macOS ?

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

The console service/DumaOS Classified Games for consoles applies to ports 1024-65535

Fraser if 1024-65535 is being used for consoles wouldn't that also mean that it would cover what IIIRL is doing with regards for him using 30000-60000? Not sure if your following this or not but was curious on your thoughts. Also does DumaOS port prior do this in both directions? Like upload and download?  The reason I ask this is when I watch my ping graph while playing a game my ping stays steady.. Flatline. In fact all my lines are steady.. Ping is steady, Tickrate steady, Sendrate steady, Only one that doesn't stay steady is my receive rate.. That jumps all over the place and wasn't sure why that is. I had thought maybe that im not getting a clear path for receive  rate.. If all my other lines are steady why is my receive all over the place? I would think that also should remain steady or at least somewhat steady. What is your thoughts on this? Something isn't making sense to me here. Thanks Fraser!

• Administrators

Yes it will cover the ports mentioned. My advice would be the router can be configured lots of different ways and if using ports specifically gives you a better experience then go for that. Yes it does. Receive rate differs because it depends on what data the game is sending at that time. 

7 hours ago, Zippy said:

Fraser if 1024-65535 is being used for consoles wouldn't that also mean that it would cover what IIIRL is doing with regards for him using 30000-60000? 

Yes it already covers those. The main problem for those who want to fine tune their setup is it would cover 1024:65535 source and destination, and UDP only. This causes two potential problems: a less important port being given identical priority to the main port being used for a game, and the inability to prioritise TCP should you need to. In fact @A7Legit once did some testing and found certain games use TCP 3074 to communicate with other players and the Demonware server. Of course the preset is great for a "set and forget" approach but it may not suit players in many different games. 

Upload and download depends on the ports in use. If you're playing CoD and sending from 3074 to port 44000, for example, that's uploading. When you're receiving packets from 44000 that's downloading. Both are vital but, if anything, download is more important since there's zero advantage to your downstream traffic being caught in a queue; you'll simply be behind the action, trying to play catch up and dying before you see it in an FPS game for example, which affects your actions (upstream traffic) since they'll be disregarded. At least if your upstream traffic doesn't have priority you get more time to react in games where you're moving lol

The worrying thing is I've been doing some testing trying to prioritise downstream only and it doesn't really seem to work. I had a rule with destination UDP 3074, source UDP 30000-60000 only yesterday and was seeing upload packets being prioritised. In fact there were far more upload packets being prioritised than down, and sometimes it wouldn't kick in at all.

Screenshot_20190102-095400.thumb.png.e4c6269433a956ffad05fd29ec3eb5b7.png

Frankly that's impossible since UDP 3074 is never present on the server side, and it's pretty frustrating not knowing exactly how traffic prio is doing what it does. 

The reason I want to test this is because classified games and the PSN preset do nothing for my experience in games. I've only had brief success trying custom rules. 

I like the fact that you've continued to tinker with the setup as i have as well.....i've had the best gameplay ever since disabling dumaos games and adding the custom ports ....... What i have noticed is that randomly i'll experience a dip in the silky smooth experience which i now cannot live without when my 'packets sent 'exceeds my 'packets received' 

I must add that my bufferbloat is set to 'when high priority traffic is detected' with a 80/80 split.

This has been my gun setup irrespective of what the bufferbloat ratings were on dslreports or pingplotter to the respective servers that i play on.

Why i pay little attention to the dslreports or pingplotter in this case is because when i had excellent ratings amd graphs on the two mentioned platforms my gameplay experience was no where close to where it is now without using them as a benchmark.

So the question i have now is....could those reduction in packets received be countered with anti bufferbloat settings on the QOS side?

21 hours ago, lllRL said:

Yes it already covers those. The main problem for those who want to fine tune their setup is it would cover 1024:65535 source and destination, and UDP only. This causes two potential problems: a less important port being given identical priority to the main port being used for a game, and the inability to prioritise TCP should you need to. In fact @A7Legit once did some testing and found certain games use TCP 3074 to communicate with other players and the Demonware server. Of course the preset is great for a "set and forget" approach but it may not suit players in many different games. 

Upload and download depends on the ports in use. If you're playing CoD and sending from 3074 to port 44000, for example, that's uploading. When you're receiving packets from 44000 that's downloading. Both are vital but, if anything, download is more important since there's zero advantage to your downstream traffic being caught in a queue; you'll simply be behind the action, trying to play catch up and dying before you see it in an FPS game for example, which affects your actions (upstream traffic) since they'll be disregarded. At least if your upstream traffic doesn't have priority you get more time to react in games where you're moving lol

The worrying thing is I've been doing some testing trying to prioritise downstream only and it doesn't really seem to work. I had a rule with destination UDP 3074, source UDP 30000-60000 only yesterday and was seeing upload packets being prioritised. In fact there were far more upload packets being prioritised than down, and sometimes it wouldn't kick in at all.

Screenshot_20190102-095400.thumb.png.e4c6269433a956ffad05fd29ec3eb5b7.png

Frankly that's impossible since UDP 3074 is never present on the server side, and it's pretty frustrating not knowing exactly how traffic prio is doing what it does. 

The reason I want to test this is because classified games and the PSN preset do nothing for my experience in games. I've only had brief success trying custom rules. 

IIIRL is it possible that one might need a specific port that is TCP giving that a high priority? Maybe we are focused all on UDP when maybe there is actually a TCP port that needs a high priority also.. What are your thoughts?

12 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

I like the fact that you've continued to tinker with the setup as i have as well.....i've had the best gameplay ever since disabling dumaos games and adding the custom ports ....... What i have noticed is that randomly i'll experience a dip in the silky smooth experience which i now cannot live without when my 'packets sent 'exceeds my 'packets received' 

I must add that my bufferbloat is set to 'when high priority traffic is detected' with a 80/80 split.

This has been my gun setup irrespective of what the bufferbloat ratings were on dslreports or pingplotter to the respective servers that i play on.

Why i pay little attention to the dslreports or pingplotter in this case is because when i had excellent ratings amd graphs on the two mentioned platforms my gameplay experience was no where close to where it is now without using them as a benchmark.

So the question i have now is....could those reduction in packets received be countered with anti bufferbloat settings on the QOS side?

I've noticed that a lot myself - I believe it has something to do with update rates if you're playing older games, as many of them have far higher send/upstream update rates (as high as 100Hz or 10 updates per second) than receive/downstream rates (as low as 10Hz). Whenever I've tested IW I see around three times as many prioritised upload packets as download. 

On new games like BO4 (which has 60/62Hz update rates) there shouldn't be such a difference in the number of packets prioritised both ways, so it makes sense you'd have a worse experience if traffic in one direction isn't prioritised as much. 

Maybe you should try download and upload sliders to even them out somehow, so while upload may be prioritised more you could level it out with less of a reduction on the upload slider? Idk, this is all speculation at this point lol

11 hours ago, Zippy said:

IIIRL is it possible that one might need a specific port that is TCP giving that a high priority? Maybe we are focused all on UDP when maybe there is actually a TCP port that needs a high priority also.. What are your thoughts?

Yeah I'm fairly sure there are one or two TCP ports involved in actual gameplay. It might be worth me looking back over my saved Wireshark captures; I only filtered out UDP for screenshots last time, but everything is in there. I'll see if I can find anything that looks relevant. 

7 hours ago, lllRL said:

Yeah I'm fairly sure there are one or two TCP ports involved in actual gameplay. It might be worth me looking back over my saved Wireshark captures; I only filtered out UDP for screenshots last time, but everything is in there. I'll see if I can find anything that looks relevant. 

Id be curious on what you find. One thing I did like about my ASUS router is you could prioritize ports individually similar to what we have with Netduma but ASUS also would give you options on how high to prioritize a port and how much data you wanted to allow it to send or receive.. Up to 1500 kbps per port.. Very cool feature if one knows what ports to plug in there.. One thing I did notice when playing H5 with my ASUS hooked up I had a lot of TCP ports with 443 in there and only usually one or two UDP ports per game.. Its been awhile since ive had my ASUS hooked up but I may just hook it up and see what ports it logs and see if there is a pattern.. With Wireshark does it give you info on how much data a specific port is receiving? Thanks and keep tinkering! 

@Zippy FYI just played a few games of H5 on my old R1 and checked the ports. I saw port 30001 one game, 30004 in another and 3544 in all 4 games. When I prioritized those ports it felt almost like I was on LAN it was so smooth. One thing I noticed and need to look into a little more is that when I initially prioritized 3544 with the others I thought I made a mistake and so I removed it; during that small period of time I was getting that same old BS of headshots registering as body shots. I re-added it the same game and instantly was having no issues with headshots. Could be totally off with this theory but I'll keep messing with it.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I've moved this to Feedback and Suggestions :)

Hey Fraser, I wanted to add a side note here also in why I think having this feature added back in.. Now im not sure if the XR500 ever had this because I bought my router back in August but info like what kinel has mentioned would be very good in so many ways. Even those that don't feel its needed I can understand why. If a particular game is working for them why would they support this feature.. Regardless if it doesn't even help me but does help other gamers alike then Im here to support them and the feature! If one size fits all would work for everyone then we would be living in a perfect world.. But as you know already that isn't the case.. So having such a feature like this I feel is key! And really I feel you would have to agree. What I was wondering also is if such a feature could be added that not only would it show what ports a particular game is using but also if it could show how much data a particular port is receiving or sending?? I think if that is possible then one could help define what ports are critical.. Of course also defining what ports are udp and tcp also..  Anyways those are my thought! Thanks!

30 minutes ago, supafastguy said:

@Zippy FYI just played a few games of H5 on my old R1 and checked the ports. I saw port 30001 one game, 30004 in another and 3544 in all 4 games. When I prioritized those ports it felt almost like I was on LAN it was so smooth. One thing I noticed and need to look into a little more is that when I initially prioritized 3544 with the others I thought I made a mistake and so I removed it; during that small period of time I was getting that same old BS of headshots registering as body shots. I re-added it the same game and instantly was having no issues with headshots. Could be totally off with this theory but I'll keep messing with it.

Hey!!! Thanks for sharing! That is very interesting! Those port numbers ive come across as well.. Its interesting to see 3544 in there. I think MS uses that port for teredo tunneling for connections.. That maybe a more critical port then what I thought.. Ports 30001, 30004 im almost sure are udp ports at the server level. Which have been for me.. Its good to see im not the only one left playing Halo5! For a minute there I thought I was alone! lol..  If you come up with anything else please share! I will do the same.. And trust me im with yah when it comes to registering headshots! Im going to give this a closer look when I get a chance tonight.. Again thanks supafastguy! 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser, I wanted to add a side note here also in why I think having this feature added back in.. Now im not sure if the XR500 ever had this because I bought my router back in August but info like what kinel has mentioned would be very good in so many ways. Even those that don't feel its needed I can understand why. If a particular game is working for them why would they support this feature.. Regardless if it doesn't even help me but does help other gamers alike then Im here to support them and the feature! If one size fits all would work for everyone then we would be living in a perfect world.. But as you know already that isn't the case.. So having such a feature like this I feel is key! And really I feel you would have to agree. What I was wondering also is if such a feature could be added that not only would it show what ports a particular game is using but also if it could show how much data a particular port is receiving or sending?? I think if that is possible then one could help define what ports are critical.. Of course also defining what ports are udp and tcp also..  Anyways those are my thought! Thanks!

I do agree it's a good feature and we already had it on the original firmware so I'm sure we'll integrate it at some point. The latter idea would probably be more of a long term goal

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I do agree it's a good feature and we already had it on the original firmware so I'm sure we'll integrate it at some point. The latter idea would probably be more of a long term goal

Thanks Fraser! It would be nice to see that info.. Is my later idea even possible at all? I was curious.. If it is that would be a nice long term goal.. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Hey!!! Thanks for sharing! That is very interesting! Those port numbers ive come across as well.. Its interesting to see 3544 in there. I think MS uses that port for teredo tunneling for connections.. That maybe a more critical port then what I thought.. Ports 30001, 30004 im almost sure are udp ports at the server level. Which have been for me.. Its good to see im not the only one left playing Halo5! For a minute there I thought I was alone! lol..  If you come up with anything else please share! I will do the same.. And trust me im with yah when it comes to registering headshots! Im going to give this a closer look when I get a chance tonight.. Again thanks supafastguy! 

LOL There's not many of us left! Actually I stopped playing for the last 2ish months because every game was a struggle to aim or finish a kill. This thread might actually be my solution though because in roughly 10 games it played great - Headshots registered, no blank shots, no "weak" bullets, blank melee's etc. And I'm not to familiar with 3544 but since it's used for teredo, maybe some of these issues are caused by some kind of clash between H5's ipv6 users and their ipv4 users. Once again, could be totally off but I know many people have said that H5's netcode is 💩 and that the issues were so deeply buried they'd have to practically rebuild it from the ground - up.

49 minutes ago, supafastguy said:

LOL There's not many of us left! Actually I stopped playing for the last 2ish months because every game was a struggle to aim or finish a kill. This thread might actually be my solution though because in roughly 10 games it played great - Headshots registered, no blank shots, no "weak" bullets, blank melee's etc. And I'm not to familiar with 3544 but since it's used for teredo, maybe some of these issues are caused by some kind of clash between H5's ipv6 users and their ipv4 users. Once again, could be totally off but I know many people have said that H5's netcode is 💩 and that the issues were so deeply buried they'd have to practically rebuild it from the ground - up.

Ha ha your right there isn't many of us left! And don't even get me started about the aim in that game!! Yikes!! One game the aim is decent the next its like a rubber band!! What really gets me is when I see a player with an accuracy of 23% but manages to get 23 kills.. And here I sit where im at 61% and hardly drop a player! I do believe something did happen with H5 that couldn't fully be fixed. Very likely something in the netcode. I do know MS did develop teredo so both IPv6 and IPv4 could work together and port 3544 is the port used for that protocol. Could you share how currently you have yours setup? Like what ports and what port numbers your using for source and destination? Id really appreciate it if you can!. Im not sure how much difference there is from the R1 to the XR500.. I have the XR500. I just want to compare what your doing to what im doing! Thanks supafastguy!