How to open your NAT with the XR500

• Netduma Staff

If you need to open more than one port for one device, just split them by commas on the same line. It says below 'External Port Range' what format you need to use. To quote it: "Please specify ports and port ranges split by commas, example: 30, 50 - 60, 65500 - 65510". You'd click 'Add Custom Service', select your device, type your ports (e.g 60, 3074) in 'Internal' and 'External' port, name it, select the protocol and add it.

• 1 month later...

Help, please. I just can't seem to get Nat Type 2 on my PS4. I have a router (ISP supplied) that I have to connect to my XR500. When I plug my cable directly into the ISP router, I manage to get a Nat2, but as soon as I plug my PS4 into my XR500, it goes to Nat3. No matter what I try I just can't fix it, and I've tried everything in the "Optimal settings guide: Open Nat". Any suggestions, please. Keep in mind I've got limited knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

- Dan 

• Administrators
On 4/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, DCN said:

Help, please. I just can't seem to get Nat Type 2 on my PS4. I have a router (ISP supplied) that I have to connect to my XR500. When I plug my cable directly into the ISP router, I manage to get a Nat2, but as soon as I plug my PS4 into my XR500, it goes to Nat3. No matter what I try I just can't fix it, and I've tried everything in the "Optimal settings guide: Open Nat". Any suggestions, please. Keep in mind I've got limited knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

- Dan 

Hi Dan,

1. What is the make/model of your modem?
  2. Does your modem have an option to put it into bridge/modem mode?
  3. If not, does it have a DMZ option?
  4. Could you delete any port forwarding rules on your XR500 and just make sure UPNP is enabled

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

1. It's a Calix 814G

2. No, it does not.

3. Yes, it does. I did enter my XR into the DMZ.

4. I did, but it made no difference.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, DCN said:

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

1. It's a Calix 814G

2. No, it does not.

3. Yes, it does. I did enter my XR into the DMZ.

4. I did, but it made no difference.

Did you use the XR500 WAN IP to put into the DMZ? It's important you didn't put in the address you access the interface with. Also put the IP of the console into the DMZ on the XR500 and that should sort out your NAT. Would also suggest you disable UPnP/port forwarding and WiFi on the Calix and connect everything to the XR500 so you can make the most of the router and its QoS.

Yes, I used the IP on the Calix that showed as my XR500 and entered that in the DMZ of the Calix? I also did everything else as you said (I think correctly), but I still get NAT3. I don't know what's wrong... but it sucks.

• Administrators

Could you describe your exact physical setup and what devices are connected where? There must be something else using the ports. I'd also give the XR500 a static WAN address so that it doesn't change and the DMZ has the wrong IP in.

I'll try my best. I have the fibre line obviously connected to the Calix and my XR connected to the WAN port. Nothing else to the Calix and the WiFi is turned off. On the XR I have numerous devices hard wired and over WiFi. I've reserved the IP for my PS and entered the correct IP in DMZ. The IP matches with the IP on my PS.

I've read some issues with NAT might occur when 2 routers are connected, and a "double NAT" issue occurs? The IP range of the Calix starts with "192.168.1..." and the XR, "10.0.0..." I see the IPV4 address of my gateway starts with "165.16.168..." Could this have an effect or should the settings you suggested sort it out?

Thanks again for trying to help me out.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I’ve tried everything you guys suggested and it just doesn’t want to sort the NAT issue out. It’s a shame because I bought the router for gaming and now I can’t use it. Any other suggestion or way you guys can help my out would be appreciated. 

I looked up the model of the modem to see if other people on the internet are having issues. One piece of advice I found on a Reddit thread, which i'll link below, is that you should phone your provider and ask them to reprovision your Calix 814G into Bridge Mode. It might be something that only the ISP can do from their end!

• 1 month later...

Here is my setup, for PS4 Nat3 that i cant remove

Netcomm NF10WV>XR500>devices

No matter what i do i get Nat 3.

Yes the XR is DMZ on the Netcomm, yes ive tried numerous DMZ, UnPn settings, nothing works.

Got my fuzzy brain all jumbled up.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DCN said:

I've pretty much given up... I just can't get it fixed.

Did the ISP manage to put the Calix into bridge mode?

On the Calix interface does it has a Firewall? If so turn the security off on that (don't worry as all devices are connected to the XR500 they will be protected by its firewall instead) and then see if you get an open NAT. Also double check the IP for the router hasn't changed making the DMZ on the Calix void. Also put the console in the XR500 DMZ.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, faulko said:

Yes mate.

It doesn't matter anyway as i found and fixed the issue, was a service provider problem.

Great to hear you found the problem and fixed it, thanks for letting us know :)

Hi Faulko

When you say a service provider problem, can you elaborate? Maybe I can try the same. I've spoken with my service provider but they said they can't assign a fixed IP... if that was the solution for your issue.

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did the ISP manage to put the Calix into bridge mode?

On the Calix interface does it has a Firewall? If so turn the security off on that (don't worry as all devices are connected to the XR500 they will be protected by its firewall instead) and then see if you get an open NAT. Also double check the IP for the router hasn't changed making the DMZ on the Calix void. Also put the console in the XR500 DMZ.

Hi Fraser

Thanks for still trying to help me out!

No, unfortunately, my provider can't or won't put the Calix into bridge mode. I turned the firewall off on the calix anyway, entered DMZ of the XR into the Calix, entered my PS4 into DMZ of the XR. But still no luck.

But, as soon as I plug my PS4 into the Calix I get NAT2. My head is too small to figure this out.

50 minutes ago, DCN said:

Hi Fraser

Thanks for still trying to help me out!

No, unfortunately, my provider can't or won't put the Calix into bridge mode. I turned the firewall off on the calix anyway, entered DMZ of the XR into the Calix, entered my PS4 into DMZ of the XR. But still no luck.

But, as soon as I plug my PS4 into the Calix I get NAT2. My head is too small to figure this out.

When you did these steps did you disable upnp on the Calix and enable upnp on the XR also?

• Administrators

What is the Calix connected to exactly? Is there anyway that you can bypass the Calix completely and just use the router? Given you're getting NAT Type 2 when connected to the Calix which indicates you're behind a router perhaps you can exclude it.

This is the setup the provider installed - unfortunately, my XR must be connected to their router according to the provider. So, as I far as I can tell, there is an IP that the ISP assigns, the Calix assigns an IP en the XR a new IP.

I don't know, that feels like where the issue might come in?

Screenshot (38).png

• Administrators

Okay that makes sense and is fine, you're getting NAT Type 2 on the Calix as it has to be in router mode according to your ISP which then I would assume would make NAT Type 3 not necessarily a strict NAT actually but rather a level behind. Do you have a game that you can check the NAT status on at all? That would help us determine if you're actually getting a strict NAT or if the network settings are simply stating you're 3 levels deep essentially.