How to open your NAT with the XR500

On 5/11/2018 at 3:49 AM, Blameless said:

I figure it out already!!! Since I live in California...i had to move my geo-filter closer to the NAT server! Once I did that my whole gameplay just went on steroids mode

I also live in California and have the same problem.  I will go through the steps mentioned;however, can you help understand where I need to expand my gio-filter to include the NAT server? 

On 1/14/2018 at 2:39 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Please follow the below instructions to open your console/game NAT using the XR500:

• If you have your console added to the Geo-Filter then put them in spectating mode, this is to ensure the Geo-Filter does not cause a false reading of the NAT Type (this could be caused by the Geo-Filter blocking the NAT server, it doesn't mean the Geo-Filter causes a closed NAT it means it blocks the server that would tell you it's open)
  • Your console should have a dynamic IP address (network settings on console are set to automatic & no static rule set on the router).
  • Make sure UPnP is enabled in settings and remove any port forwarding entries you have created.
  • Turn off console then turn off and turn on your router.
  • Wait couple minutes turn on the console. Does the console itself and the game both show open now?

If not then set your console to a static IP in the router settings and put it in the DMZ. This should definitely provide you with an open NAT.

Can you please post step by step on how to set static ip on console and how to add to dmz on my XR500? 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Joev24 said:

I also live in California and have the same problem.  I will go through the steps mentioned;however, can you help understand where I need to expand my gio-filter to include the NAT server? 

Perform the test for NAT then look at your Geo-Filter, does anything get blocked? If so allow that.

6 hours ago, Joev24 said:

Can you please post step by step on how to set static ip on console and how to add to dmz on my XR500? 

Here is a guide: https://kb.netgear.com/24091/How-do-I-reserve-a-LAN-IP-address-on-my-Nighthawk-router 

Then put that IP address into Settings > WAN in the DMZ option.

I would also suggest taking a look at our optimal settings guides: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2018 at 2:39 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If not then set your console to a static IP in the router settings and put it in the DMZ. This should definitely provide you with an open NAT.

Should I have uPnP enabled also? I have One Xbox and two PS's. Latest firmware will not open all of my gaming machines.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, SM961 said:

Should I have uPnP enabled also? I have One Xbox and two PS's. Latest firmware will not open all of my gaming machines.

You can leave UPnP enabled. If you have multiple gaming devices I would recommend switching NAT to Open in WAN Settings.

Yes, I went from secured to Open but in order for me to get open I had to disabled Upnp and that worked for me. So what happens when you don't have UPnP enable how does it opens needed ports? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SM961 said:

Yes, I went from secured to Open but in order for me to get open I had to disabled Upnp and that worked for me. So what happens when you don't have UPnP enable how does it opens needed ports? 

As you have changed NAT Filtering to Open then any devices should be able to use the ports they need without issue.

54 minutes ago, DjimiDay said:

I still can't get mine open. Doing my head in on call of duty as can't hear PS4 party chat. Wish there was a simple fix for this. 

Where are you testing NAT, console settings or the in game settings? Have you added your friends to your allow list as you will need to do that to hear them.

Console settings say open. It's definitely to do with the duma though because as soon as I take it off filtering it works. Just getting annoying to do this every time I play. Yes friends are added to allow list but didn't make any difference. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DjimiDay said:

Console settings say open. It's definitely to do with the duma though because as soon as I take it off filtering it works. Just getting annoying to do this every time I play. Yes friends are added to allow list but didn't make any difference. 

There must be something else on the map then that is blocked, zoom out fully, can you see any other icons?

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, DjimiDay said:

There's no icons on the map. Just my home icon and geo filter radius. 

What do you mean home icon? You're not shown on the map yourself. If there are no other icons how have you added your friends?

That just might be somone in my geo filter then. I'm sure if you read my previous posts on the page before it explains it. I got the whitelisting instructions either from this thread or another similar one. I've added all my regular friends to the whitelist section on the duma homepage. It's very weird as if playing in a party of 4, I'll be able to hear 2 of them for example but not the 3rd. But it's not always the same person. Then I usually login to router to disable filtering mode, then once I can hear them all, apply it again. Must be an easier way though. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DjimiDay said:

That's all fine, how is the actual device added to the Geo-Filter? Is it using the console service or something else?

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, DjimiDay said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain a little further. 

With your device added to the Geo-Filter, what does it say just under the device name? I.e. what are you filtering for/what did you pick to filter?