VZW Fios Users Set-up Info - Internet Only Subscribers

nice.. i wish this would also work for my fios tv. Don't think channels will show up.

VZW said the coax was needed for tv and phone. They also said we would need to keep their router if we ever wanted tech support. I didn't tell them there was a Fraser on tech support, because I figured they'd want one too

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks of use without the extra modem between the R1 and the VZW's ONT, I have great news to report.  With the VZW provided modem in the mix  I would always get "good" Ping, "good" Jitter, and "exceptional" Spikes, when I ran the R1's internet diagnosis.  Now since it's been removed they're all "Exceptional" every time I test.  I can definitely say it improved Ping and Jitter and the overall smoothness of game play.   

• Administrators

After a couple of weeks of use without the extra modem between the R1 and the VZW's ONT, I have great news to report.  With the VZW provided modem in the mix  I would always get "good" Ping, "good" Jitter, and "exceptional" Spikes, when I ran the R1's internet diagnosis.  Now since it's been removed they're all "Exceptional" every time I test.  I can definitely say it improved Ping and Jitter and the overall smoothness of game play.   

Fantastic to hear that!!

• 3 months later...

Don't forget to add in if you have a FiOS Quantum Gateway router, you can either bridge it to the 'duma, or you can DMZ the 'duma.

You'll also have to call in and ask them to break the lease if you bridge the router.

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

• 1 month later...

I ordered my Duma on Saturday and I just saw this thread. I'm so excited because I have VZW 100/100 mbit package. This is going to be amazing!

Hyperj, you're going to seriously dig the power at your fingertips when you use the R1. It takes some time to learn to use correctly. Make sure you look for the wiki that shows you how to get the 100mbs speeds. There are some specific things you need to do to get there. My bandwidth is low enough that I don't need to do anything special to get my advertised speeds. As long as you make sure everything goes through your R1 before it gets to VZW's router you'll be happy. I had VZW's old actiontec router and the 50/50 plan with no tv or phone. You don't have to do what I did, you should be fine as long as you have everything connected to your R1. A lot of people just put their R1 in the DMZ of their VZW router and it works fine, and some don't even need to place the R1 in the DMZ and they have no issues with open NAT. I took my vzw router out of the loop and ran an ethernet cable from the ONT to my R1 as an experiment, it definitely reduced my ping.

Hyperj, you're going to seriously dig the power at your fingertips when you use the R1. It takes some time to learn to use correctly. Make sure you look for the wiki that shows you how to get the 100mbs speeds. There are some specific things you need to do to get there. My bandwidth is low enough that I don't need to do anything special to get my advertised speeds. As long as you make sure everything goes through your R1 before it gets to VZW's router you'll be happy. I had VZW's old actiontec router and the 50/50 plan with no tv or phone. You don't have to do what I did, you should be fine as long as you have everything connected to your R1. A lot of people just put their R1 in the DMZ of their VZW router and it works fine, and some don't even need to place the R1 in the DMZ and they have no issues with open NAT. I took my vzw router out of the loop and ran an ethernet cable from the ONT to my R1 as an experiment, it definitely reduced my ping.

Well to be honest I just want to get rid of the $10/mo extra on my bill lol. How long do you think it should take me to get everything fully functional from out of the box? Is this all I have to do?

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netduma

ok so you are definitely going to switch from coax to ethernet.  It shouldn't take too long to set up, maybe half an hour at most.  If you run into an issue unplug your ONT and Your Duma for at least 5-10 minutes. That guide you referenced is a little outdated.  With your 100MB speeds you may need to enable turbo mode and use the reactive algorithm.  Search around the forum for Turbo mode for more info.  It's still pretty easy to set up don't let me scare you.  It's just a matter of enabling some functions on your R1.

Once you get your router make sure it's on the most current firmware version, which is 1.03.6g. This firware has the best features and even include this function called "Hyper-traffic" which when enabled on your console or whatever you're gaming on, moves the packets from that device straight to the head of the packet line in your router.  It's awesome.  here's my recommendations for you:

-enable hyper traffic on your console while you're gaming, disable it when your're not

-if you do a lot of party gaming and you're planning on using the geofilter, make sure you add your friends to the whitelist on the geofilter (it just heads possible complications off at the pass. Also encourage them to assign Static IP's to their consoles because if their IP changes you will need to add them to the whitelist again)

-use dslreports speedtest.net to test your bufferbloat to help find your best placement for your congestion control sliders  Netduma recommends 70% on each slider, but I have found with my internet and devices on my network, I need to have my Congestion Control sliders at 40% for Download and 60% for upload to get the best Bufferbloat score.  It's different for everyone.  Some people only need to set their sliders at 90% to get good BB grades. You may get different values at different times of the day.  I basically go with 40/60 no matter what time of day it is and nobody complains about bandwidth at my house when I'm gaming.  Once you find that sweet spot that works for your network, just stick with it and try to enjoy your game.  Don't get too spun out trying to get that little bit more...it will take away from your enjoyment. Everyone's settings are a little different...there's not one magic setting

-if you're in a party allocate a little more bandwidth to your console on Device Prioritization.  I usually have 30-40% allocated to my XB while I'm playing in a party. 

-I have had the most consistency with the Preemptive algorithm for gaming...doing this with your set up will most likely reduce your total bandwidth but it makes for a steady game. Your bandwidth is supposed to use the Reactive algorithm and turbo mode in order to keep that pipeline as open as it can be.

-remember your XB or Playstation only really needs a couple of MB/s of download and upload to function normally.  Having 100MB/s doesn't mean your console is faster...it just means you have a larger pipe coming into the house.  So using Hyper traffic and the other tips I gave you will help set you in the right direction to give you the best experience

-if you need help, don't just say, "My netduma is broken someone come fix it for me."  Explain what your experiencing try to give good valid details and plenty of people will come out of the woodwork to help you.  

Question for Verizon fios customer only? I'm still having trouble with my R1.. even with the new update I feel that my r1 router is not opening the ports correctly behind my verizon combo. I have since disconnect it and added my cheap netgear router and low and behold. Hit detection was pretty much spot on. I mostly play battlefield 4, starwars, hardline and bo3 when Im a good lobbly. (i've looked at ALL the online information) Im just wondering if someone else is seeing the same thing and what they possibly did to fix. Its a shame that I have not gotten the same experience as others that post youtube videos. Ive gone as far as I can go with no luck.

Question for Verizon fios customer only? I'm still having trouble with my R1.. even with the new update I feel that my r1 router is not opening the ports correctly behind my verizon combo. I have since disconnect it and added my cheap netgear router and low and behold. Hit detection was pretty much spot on. I mostly play battlefield 4, starwars, hardline and bo3 when Im a good lobbly. (i've looked at ALL the online information) Im just wondering if someone else is seeing the same thing and what they possibly did to fix. Its a shame that I have not gotten the same experience as others that post youtube videos. Ive gone as far as I can go with no luck.

Hi AOrtiz,

This thread is about people who are taking their vzw router/modem combo out of their network and connecting their R1's directly to VZW's ONT by using an ethernet cable instead of vzw's coax.

It may help you too, but I can't say for sure.

If you have TV or phone service included in your package from VZW and you switch from coax to ethernet you will lose some services on your tv and or phone. I think you lose caller ID and the tv guide, but you could check with vzw to find out for sure

• 3 weeks later...

I called vz to change from coax to Ethernet before I even knew about netduma. The call took about 5-10 minutes and there was no issue. My ping to google.com went from 6ms to 3ms. I thought at the time that this was my lag issue with cod. I was dead wrong and continued my research which led me eventually to get the Duma.

My setup now is ONT>Duma>fios router>netgear r6300.

Wifi off on the vz router (in a metal box in my electrical room in basement anyway). Wifi on Duma and r6300 set to same id and pass, Duma set to channel 6, r6300 channel 11.

DHCP is off on both the vz and r6300 routers.

Everything works great and being that the Duma is the first router in the chain, it sees every device in my home which gives me full control. Now it's just a matter of me understanding and mastering the netduma settings.

If anyone needs assistance with this type of setup, feel free to pm me or post here. I've been a part of the community only a short while and already love the vibe. I look forward to future updates. This is an amazing product.

I called vz to change from coax to Ethernet before I even knew about netduma. The call took about 5-10 minutes and there was no issue. My ping to google.com went from 6ms to 3ms. I thought at the time that this was my lag issue with cod. I was dead wrong and continued my research which led me eventually to get the Duma.

My setup now is ONT>Duma>fios router>netgear r6300.

Wifi off on the vz router (in a metal box in my electrical room in basement anyway). Wifi on Duma and r6300 set to same id and pass, Duma set to channel 6, r6300 channel 11.

DHCP is off on both the vz and r6300 routers.

Everything works great and being that the Duma is the first router in the chain, it sees every device in my home which gives me full control. Now it's just a matter of me understanding and mastering the netduma settings.

If anyone needs assistance with this type of setup, feel free to pm me or post here. I've been a part of the community only a short while and already love the vibe. I look forward to future updates. This is an amazing product.

The free updates are the siznit.  Since last summer they had 2 major updates that have been amazing.  version .6 is awesome.  Welcome to the Duma Army

• 2 months later...

The free updates are the siznit.  Since last summer they had 2 major updates that have been amazing.  version .6 is awesome.  Welcome to the Duma Army

Hey can you help me with this i got fios and the fios quantum gateway router and i have been using the netduma router with optimum before this and i tried doing this with fios and the netduma and it simply wont work and i really want to use the netduma because the bufferbloat with the quantum gateway is ruining my gaming experience. When i called the lady she said she switched it to ethernet but my netduma won't work please help because i've been dealing with terrible lag since i got fios.

post-3764-0-77238400-1467387318_thumb.png

Hey bro,

If you're going to use the VZW router and have the netduma plugged into the quantum, you don't need to switch to ethernet.

Did you run an ethernet cable from the ONT to your quantum? If so, did you buy a pre-made cable? If you made your own, try re-terminating the ends to make sure you have good crimps.

Other than that, turn off the quantum, the netduma and the ONT for 10 minutes. Then turn the ont on, then the quantum, then the netduma. Make sure your ethernet cable from the ONT is plugged into the lan port on the quantum and your netduma's cable goes from port 1 on the netduma to port 1 on the quantum.

Make sure UPNP is ticked in misc settings and in the UPNP section of the settings.

Have your computer plugged into the duma on port 2, or if you use WiFi make sure you enter the password netdumar1 so you can link to the ui of the duma

Let me know how it works for you

you need to run an ethernet cable from your ONT to the place were you'll have your duma set up, and then follow the instructions I layed out in the original post of this thread.  If you can't run your own ethernet cable, you'll need to ask VZW tech support switch you back to co-ax. and then set up as I advised above.  Only you'll have Coax between the ONT to your quantum. Then plug port 1 of your duma into port 1 of your quantum and follow the other things I said above.

Did you ask your VZW tech support person to break the IP lease?  If not, make sure your duma is off and ask them to please renew your IP lease.  Did you buy a cable or make one yourself?