Adding New Games and Applications to DumaOS

Hi everyone!

Many of you have requested new games and applications to be detected in DumaOS. Thankfully, adding new applications is easier for us to do than ever thanks to our self-learning DPI engine.

What isn't easy is installing all the different programs and games that we receive requests for. Because we sometimes have to wait several hours for a new game to download, the backlog of titles we want to add means a massive bottleneck.

This is where you can really help us make DumaOS better for everyone, and it should only take about 5-10 minutes.

If you have an application or game that you would like us to add, all we need from you is a packet capture. You can do this using a free piece of software called Wireshark; we've included full instructions and a video on how to use it below.

Once we have your capture and put it through our engine, we can test it to ensure the traffic is detected correctly before releasing it to everyone.

INSTRUCTIONS

• Install Wireshark on your computer
  • (Optional) Disable all but one network interface
    • For example, disable wifi and just use ethernet
    • This will ensure that the traffic isn't being sent to the wrong place
  • (Optional) Shut down all applications on your PC other than the one you're trying to capture
    • This will make it easier for us to tell your application apart from background noise.
    • If your application is a game, have the launcher started but not the game.
    • If your application is a media service, have the menu loaded, but do not start the audio/video yet.
  • In Wireshark, double click the interface the application will be using. For example, if you're using Ethernet, double click Ethernet, etc
  • Once packets are appearing in Wireshark, begin to play the game/use the application
    • If your application is a game, make sure you get the entire matchmaking process and a few minutes of gameplay.
    • If your application is a media service, capture about a minute of activity. We don't want the filesize to become massive.
  • After a few minutes, click the Stop button at the top of the screen
  • Export/save the capture as a .pcapng file, from the File menu
  • Once saved, you can now close the capture

Now upload your capture to this thread. You can attach it directly, or upload it via a shared file service like Dropbox and link it in this thread.

Note: To accurately detect patterns, it's necessary to have at least two captures for each game.

With one capture, we don't have enough data to identify which parts of the capture are constant, and which are transient. This could lead to false positives.

Although not essential, it's also helpful to have captures from different platforms and different game modes. Again, this helps us identify consistencies between all platforms and modes, and disregard data that changes between them.

When you post, please use this format:

• Application name:
  • Device type used for capture:
  • Any other comments:

Thanks for your help - we're excited to keep growing DumaOS and, most importantly, ensure it supports exactly what you need it to.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, noob said:

Hello, what is this for? I don't understand. 

For the router to determine what game you're playing so it can prioritize effectively it relies on Deep Packet Inspection, to determine network traffic that belongs to a game we have to capture traffic when playing the game. There are so many games out there we cannot realistically do it all ourselves so by reaching out to the community we can get those network captures and support games we may not have previously supported/improve support for games.

careful with wireshark on cod anticheat detects it. The AC detects it if it's under the same name, if you change it it'll boot. Any packet sniffer usually gets picked up and force closes the game.

On 7/2/2023 at 8:36 AM, Baturi said:

careful with wireshark on cod anticheat detects it. The AC detects it if it's under the same name, if you change it it'll boot. Any packet sniffer usually gets picked up and force closes the game.

I've found several solutions to this:

• Option 1 is to simply rename wireshark.exe to anything else, CoD will not be as quick to pick it up.
  • Option 2 has never let me down, use tshark instead. CoD doesn't pick up tshark.

To use tshark, open command prompt and move to the directory where Wireshark is installed (in Program Files). Now use the following command (change Ethernet to your adapter's name, and define your own path):

tshark -i  "Ethernet" -F pcapng -W n -w C:\WiresharkCaptures\7thJuly2023CallOfDuty.pcapng

After hitting enter, the capture will begin. Once you're done capturing, just press CTRL-C to exit the process. The file will be written to the path specified, and can be opened with wireshark.

• Application name: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Device type used for capture: PC
  • Any other comments: One is loading up the game, playing the custom game browser, while the other is searching online and playing multiplayer.

Halo MCC Custom Game Browser.pcapng Halo MCC Online.pcapng

On 7/7/2023 at 2:25 AM, DARKNESS said:

@Netduma AlexHello just an update on hi rez games do you require extra data or is that something that being worked upon? Also I don't know if this was intentional but when you select battlefield/battlefront it ads battlebit remasters together even though it another application

Thanks for the report, I've just done an update which fixes this issue. I've also added the Hi-Rez games. Please let me know how you get on.

• Application name: OCS.app on LG OLED TV CX
  • Device type used for capture: PC
  • Any other comments: mirroring tv port on ethernet PC via GS305E switch (tv x.x.77.108, eth 10.0.0.1 dummy)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekizlwn07tlrov0/ocs.pcapng?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/izvfxh40tmt9nno/ocs2.pcapng?dl=0

@Netduma AlexAlso I just wanted to point out that I don't think it smart to add all hi rez games together when you still haven't been able to differentiate between them on the dpi and some are not even detected....I would understand if you guys were testing them yourselves but if were testing whether or not they're working why add them all into one? Isn't the point to be able to detect the games accurately based on traffic

Application name:EXOPRIMAL

Device type used for capture:PC/ XBOX

Any other comments: 

exoprimal.pcapng

• Administrators
On 7/19/2023 at 12:05 AM, DARKNESS said:

@Netduma AlexAlso I just wanted to point out that I don't think it smart to add all hi rez games together when you still haven't been able to differentiate between them on the dpi and some are not even detected....I would understand if you guys were testing them yourselves but if were testing whether or not they're working why add them all into one? Isn't the point to be able to detect the games accurately based on traffic

I think Alex resolved this in the newest DPI update

On 7/19/2023 at 7:20 AM, bcoe30 said:

Application name:EXOPRIMAL

Device type used for capture:PC/ XBOX

Any other comments: 

exoprimal.pcapng 4.98 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for that, as above we'll need at least one more capture

Application Name: War Thunder

Device used for the capture: PC

Any other comments: I already contacted the technical support of the game to let them know that they page with the portfowarding port needs to be updated. and the current DPI for the game in Netduma OS need to be adjusted to those changes. Tested Manually ports vs War Thunder (preset), the preset doesn't cover all the ports wich results in UDP packets not being prioritize

in the meantime those are my captures.

WT RU.pcapng WT 3 EU.pcapng WT 2 EU.pcapng WT 1 EU.pcapng

8 minutes ago, MainLifeline said:

i know that bud whats happening to me dosent translate to you.

Are you looking at the live data? Sometimes it doesn't pop up there though it shows active on the favorites though now you can clearly see it if you go to stats for nerds and can double check looking at network monitor as well though if it like that....that weird you run ppoe or dhcp? I run the same console so wouldn't know how that wouldn't translate 😂