Delays

stenmars42

Hi,

This will be my last post regarding this issue, I don´t want to spam the forum with this. Please read the full post and watch the video if you are about to comment.

Is there a way other than moving closer to a server to get this connection? Is there a point getting 1gbps fiber net or not if you live more than 800 miles from your nearest server?

This video sums up my whole cod gaming experience.

Currently these are my options:

A, bad delay, but manage to outsmart my enemies based only on skill. At this point my only advantage is my skill. This way I can get 34-12 matches or similar, only because I´m better at the game than my enemies, but my deaths comes from when face-to-face gunfight happens.

B, bad delay, my enemies are actually good (or even better than me) and when this combination happens I have 0 chance.

Again, I have no issues with SBMM if the connection is good and I die only because the other player is better. Please don´t post saying like I´m blaming the connection because I get matched with  better players.

Ideally this would happen:

A, no delay, you melt everyone because you are against noobs

B, no delay, you have a mediocre match or may get f*cked because the SBMM is working and you are matched against better players

C, no delay, you get matched against similar players like yourself, still you get nice killstreaks, because you outsmart them

Streamers, youtubers will post of course mainly games with the „A“ option and if they get killed its not because of the delay.

I wouldn´t mix this delay issue with SBMM, but when there is no delay I´m getting 36-10 or or better. When I get into lobbies like this, I´m quite sure the others are not that bad, but I have around 1 second advantage of others and when its paired with my skills its unfair to them. It doesn´t matter if I get shot from behind or they sweat like crazy. When this happens I´m not sure, why I have an advantage of others if I´m further to the server than the others. According to my theory this shouldn´t happen if this delay is only based on distance.

Before I´ve bought my xr500 I was not sure that I was always playing on the nearest server, so I thought that buying this router will solve or at least improve the gameplay for me connection wise. I was hesitating for more than a year to buy it, because I knew that it would be too good to be true. I would lie if I would say that I wasn´t surprised when I get 20 latency and still have bad delays, but at least now I´m not being put to a server even further.

Could you please also share your experience, I´m mainly insterested in those who are close to their nearest server and have a decent internet. I would like to know if there is anything else I could do from my side or I should accept that these delays will be always here because I live 1000km away from my nearest server(even with 20 latency). I´m about to give up on COD if there is nothing else I can do from my side. I don´t want to throw out more money to get 1gbps internet if it is useless. Currently I have 100Mbps download/10Mbps upload. My closes server is in Frankfurt, with 20 ping. I´m from Slovakia.

Thanks.

For me, I only got this delay you speak of with the wrong QoS settings... but thats just me.

I'm just 45 miles from the London server, would be 7ms to the server if my line wasn't so trash so its actually more like 24-28ms.

14 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

For me, I only got this delay you speak of with the wrong QoS settings... but thats just me.

I'm just 45 miles from the London server, would be 7ms to the server if my line wasn't so trash so its actually more like 24-28ms.

Could you please let me know your QoS settings? 45 miles is really close :)

23 hours ago, N3CR0 said:

did you just adjust yours and test it out in game necro or did you use the bench mark test ? I feel like my settings are not bad but would like to refine everything and make it better 

1 hour ago, braido1x said:

did you just adjust yours and test it out in game necro or did you use the bench mark test ? I feel like my settings are not bad but would like to refine everything and make it better 

He don’t use netduma.

2 hours ago, braido1x said:

I test in game. I've been doing this for 3+ years and found that you don't need settings that give you A+ on DSLReports or any other site, you need settings that the game itself likes.

The amount of times I found amazing settings for bufferbloat only to find the game runs horrible...

Its in my opinion from my personal experience that CoD likes abit of bufferbloat.

Its sad though regardless. Any other FPS game runs perfect on my ISP router with no QoS but CoD... I often wonder why I bother tbh.

I think COD is so real time, Thats QoS doesn’t even have a chance to help. Because the game is performed with mostly UDP packets, they cannot be saved once they are sent out, let alone be prioritized. I’d say the best thing to do for Netduma routers is either don’t use QoS, Disable it, or just use bufferbloat to eliminate congestion. But, sadly, idk what else there is to give from Netduma, that is efficient 

It's strange cod is the only game where I get inconsistent connections but the good players I come across year after year always seem to dominate and be untouchable. They always have that connection edge where they can turn on people shooting them from behind and get the kill, people appear to be moving around slowly not reacting to them shooting etc. They obviously have some networking knowledge to be able to tweak their connection to give them this type of result year after year. Yes they are good players but how are they always on the "good side of lag comp?"

If I owned a company that marketed routers to gamers (where the majority of people played cod) I would do everything I could to make the users of my device have the best experience possible gaming. I would offer different predefined tweaks within the settings (qos schedulers/disciplines/latency etc) letting users find what works best for them giving them an enjoyable gaming experience. I don't see this as cheating as these options are explorable with different firmware, people just don't have the knowledge to do it themselves.

8 hours ago, johnnytran said:

It's strange cod is the only game where I get inconsistent connections but the good players I come across year after year always seem to dominate and be untouchable. They always have that connection edge where they can turn on people shooting them from behind and get the kill, people appear to be moving around slowly not reacting to them shooting etc. They obviously have some networking knowledge to be able to tweak their connection to give them this type of result year after year. Yes they are good players but how are they always on the "good side of lag comp?"

If I owned a company that marketed routers to gamers (where the majority of people played cod) I would do everything I could to make the users of my device have the best experience possible gaming. I would offer different predefined tweaks within the settings (qos schedulers/disciplines/latency etc) letting users find what works best for them giving them an enjoyable gaming experience. I don't see this as cheating as these options are explorable with different firmware, people just don't have the knowledge to do it themselves.

Many of us has the same thought as me...i am not "pro" player.....i play cod over 10 years..i am not noob..my accuracy is very very good the same the reactions.

I know sometimes i will play with players better than me...but every time?????

It seams that every time i was playing in a "competition"..others kill me so easy and i have to try hard to kill them...etc. they plays with suppressor in their gun and get kill so easy in a distance.

It feels that you play against players and against the game it self.

So with other persons from Openwrt we try to do something better....we are not network "gurus"...and find some usefull things to make it plays better....i say better...not perfect.

I see players that in every cod they have perfect connection.

We dont have the networking knowledge to do better things...someone will say that the problem maybe is my low bandwidth connection..i have 16000Kbps down and only 800kbps for up....but i see that people even with gigabyte connections suffer from the same issues...etc. shoot first die first.

So i dont think that speeds matters ....also we find via wireshark that game uses only about 200Kbps for upload and about 400Kbps for download....so everyone has plenty speeds to run the game.

I usually play in 80ms ping..many of you play at much lower ping....but again the same thing happens.....even if you play at 80ms ping or 30ms ping......shoot first..die first.

Sooo what the hell???

Speeds doesn't matter...ping doesn't matter....

For sure that guy that has perfect connection..and you see him in Youtube in a video like "fix lag in cold war"...will suggest some "fixes" that everyone knows..but the real "trick" of course will handle it for himself sure.

It will be something else that "matters"....and this must be investigated by the company who sells "gaming routers"...not me ..the user.

• 1 year later...

I'm here to say that I suffer from the same game lag issue. I managed to make my ping very stable in matches, but it seems that it takes time to kill enemies, on the other hand, I am an easy target within matches. My ping is 21ms-25ms and I hired another internet just to play on the console, but it's no use.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Holz said:

I'm here to say that I suffer from the same game lag issue. I managed to make my ping very stable in matches, but it seems that it takes time to kill enemies, on the other hand, I am an easy target within matches. My ping is 21ms-25ms and I hired another internet just to play on the console, but it's no use.

Try to force some servers slightly further away, some find that it gives them a better feeling in game even though the ping might be a little higher

On 1/12/2020 at 8:18, Knomax said:

Muchos de nosotros pensamos lo mismo que yo... no soy un jugador "profesional"... juego bacalao desde hace 10 años... no soy un novato... mi precisión es muy, muy buena, al igual que las reacciones.

Sé que a veces jugaré con jugadores mejores que yo... pero siempre?????

Parece que cada vez que estaba jugando en una "competencia"... otros me matan tan fácilmente y tengo que esforzarme mucho para matarlos... etc. juegan con supresor en su arma y se matan tan fácilmente en la distancia.

Da la sensación de que juegas contra los jugadores y contra el propio juego.

Así que con otras personas de Openwrt tratamos de hacer algo mejor... no somos "gurús" de la red... y encontramos algunas cosas útiles para que se reproduzca mejor... digo mejor... no perfecto.

Veo jugadores que en cada bacalao tienen conexión perfecta.

No tenemos el conocimiento de redes para hacer cosas mejores... alguien dirá que el problema tal vez sea mi conexión de bajo ancho de banda... tengo 16000 Kbps de baja y solo 800 kbps de subida... pero veo que las personas incluso con conexiones de gigabytes sufren de los mismos problemas... etc. disparar primero morir primero.

Así que no creo que las velocidades importen... También encontramos a través de Wireshark que el juego usa solo alrededor de 200 Kbps para cargar y alrededor de 400 Kbps para descargar... así que todos tienen suficientes velocidades para ejecutar el juego.

Normalmente juego con un ping de 80 ms... muchos de ustedes juegan con un ping mucho más bajo... pero de nuevo sucede lo mismo... incluso si juegan con un ping de 80 ms o de 30 ms... disparen primero. .morir primero.

pues que demonios???

Las velocidades no importan... el ping no importa....

Seguro que ese tipo que tiene una conexión perfecta... y lo ves en Youtube en un video como "corregir el retraso en la guerra fría"... sugerirá algunos "arreglos" que todos conocen... pero el verdadero "truco" por supuesto será manejarlo por sí mismo seguro.

Será algo más lo que "importa"... y esto debe ser investigado por la empresa que vende "enrutadores para juegos"... no por mí... el usuario.

Mismo problema amigo, yo también vengo de openwrt con script y demás y todo es lo mismo. Llevo desde el primero cod jugando y se hoy por hoy se hace muy difícil jugar agusto.. No entiendo que podrá ser pero ni openwrt ni netduma hacen que mis juegos sean buenos en cambio veo a otros jugadores de España que les funciona bien siempre.... Nadie sabe cuál es el problema.

6 hours ago, xato_coslada said:

Same problem friend, I also come from openwrt with script and others and everything is the same. I've been playing cod since the first time and I know today it's very difficult to play comfortably... I don't understand what it could be but neither openwrt nor netduma make my games good, instead I see other players from Spain that always works well for them... .. Nobody knows what the problem is.

Podría ser un caso de ajustar la configuración de QoS, ¿en qué plataforma estás jugando y cómo tienes configurado QoS actualmente? ¿Quizás si crea un nuevo tema, podemos solucionar este problema con usted?

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Podría ser un caso de ajustar la configuración de QoS, ¿en qué plataforma estás jugando y cómo tienes configurado QoS actualmente? ¿Quizás si crea un nuevo tema, podemos solucionar este problema con usted?

Mi problema es el de muchos, hay muchos temas relacionados con call of duty pero ninguna solución. Yo soy usuario español vivo en Madrid tengo una red de fibra de 1gb, uso qos a un 40% subida y bajada para así tener un bufferbloat equilibrado. Tengo optimizado los puertos de call of duty y abiertos los puertos. Mi mtu es de 1500 ya que no veo diferencia si lo bajo. Solo un router xr700 detrás del router de mi ISP con el firewall desactivado. Y como ya he dicho mis juegos se sienten muy pesados. Nose ya que más tocar ni que hacer.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, xato_coslada said:

Mi problema es el de muchos, hay muchos temas relacionados con call of duty pero ninguna solución. Yo soy usuario español vivo en Madrid tengo una red de fibra de 1gb, uso qos a un 40% subida y bajada para así tener un bufferbloat equilibrado. Tengo optimizado los puertos de call of duty y abiertos los puertos. Mi mtu es de 1500 ya que no veo diferencia si lo bajo. Solo un router xr700 detrás del router de mi ISP con el firewall desactivado. Y como ya he dicho mis juegos se sienten muy pesados. Nose ya que más tocar ni que hacer.

¿Cuál es su ping al juego que muestra el Geo-Filter y en el juego? Puede valer la pena forzar servidores fuera de su país de origen, ya que pueden jugar mejor si son más estables.

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

¿Cuál es su ping al juego que muestra el Geo-Filter y en el juego? Puede valer la pena forzar servidores fuera de su país de origen, ya que pueden jugar mejor si son más estables.

Mis ping varían entre 20ms  y 50ms en servidires Europeos. En cuanto a los servidores americanos suelo tener entre 100ms y 140ms. La sensación es la misna, obviamente con servidores americanos es pero pero el caso es que siempre noto pesadez.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, xato_coslada said:

Mis ping varían entre 20ms  y 50ms en servidires Europeos. En cuanto a los servidores americanos suelo tener entre 100ms y 140ms. La sensación es la misna, obviamente con servidores americanos es pero pero el caso es que siempre noto pesadez.

¿Podría crear un nuevo tema y proporcionar una captura de pantalla de su página completa de QoS, además de explicar su configuración física exacta, por favor?