What to do with lag compensation MW

Cocoon992

I have no lag issues and i’m running the game fine. My ping is mostly under 60ms Every time. So today was really weird, there were 2 hours in modern warfare where i couldn’t do a thing. I shoot first and die first, bullets not registering and so on. Normally i go always positive but in those 2 hours i always went 8-15 and so on. And suddenly after those 2 hours everything was back to normal and i could play just normally.

i searched the internet and it’s called lag compensation. What can i do about this in the future because this isn’t fair!!

Google how lag comp works, it is needed on online games and there is not a lot you can do about it, the sbmm might be the reason you started to get better results after a while. Also remember that ping is measured in ms, and it takes around 300 ms to blink (I'm old) I was on MW last night with a friend in San Diego with 130 ms ping between us and neither of us really noticed much difference.

Not really actually. Average ping in the lobby only comes into play on peer to peer hosted matches, there the host gets a artificial latency that is equal to thr average ping in the lobby.

These issues more often than not have to do with your ISP. I am in The Netherlands at the moment, 8ms ping to the server Yay!!! Just my ISP happens to supply both IPTV as their main television channels and VOIP. Nobody uses VOIP these days but IPTV traffic for example gets priority on their network over regular traffic. So they are buffering your download. For me there is a noticable difference when you are gaming 10:00 to 16:00 and after midnight. Meanwhile you are still updating the server faster. When they buffer your download you get a discreppancy between upload and download latency and that causes ill effects like enemies that see you waaay before they turn up on your screen.

When I game solo on MW I get connected with an average of 13 ms of ping and the game plays fine, when party up with friends in the USA I get around 130 ms ping and the game still plays fine. since launch I have only rage quit once and that was on ground war and it was awful. 

I've found that MW has a few quirks.  One is that peek around the corner bug where you see very little but the enemy sees you fully.  

As for the OP I've noticed that from time to time and I immediately leave the lobby.  I would go 0-3 within a minute of playing too.

I usually think to myself (enough of that).

Some people suggest lowering your bandwidth to stupid low levels but I tested this a while back over ten games and it really made no difference. You may see youtube videos showing that people who do this get really good games but I have yet to see a video showing more than 1 game in a row, even challenged people to do it but had no takers. I think the best you can do is get optimal buffer bloat settings and geo filter, make sure your cables and line are good, sort out any local congestion and you should be good to go.

47 minutes ago, bagsta69 said:

Some people suggest lowering your bandwidth to stupid low levels but I tested this a while back over ten games and it really made no difference. You may see youtube videos showing that people who do this get really good games but I have yet to see a video showing more than 1 game in a row, even challenged people to do it but had no takers. I think the best you can do is get optimal buffer bloat settings and geo filter, make sure your cables and line are good, sort out any local congestion and you should be good to go.

Its all about finding slider settings that the game likes... not what makes your line better imho. I just start at 99% and work my way down until I stop getting BS deaths and leave it on that. Worked for me on BOps3, IW and BOps4. WW2 was seriously inconsistent for me but the other games worked perfectly once I found that sweet spot.

99% of the time I'm the only one using my line when I play yet without QoS, the game plays like utter crap... unlike Battlefield V which I played over wifi on an interleaved line with no QoS and got 0 BS deaths or bullet sponges.

Anyways, I've tried throttling til your bandwidth is next to nothing many a time... never worked out well, not once.

I even tried (bar the 'stabilising trick') the 'tricks' DMC has been banging on about and again, no workie. 

39 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah there's some people who swear by turning the anti-bufferbloat sliders reeeeal low when they play CoD.

I think what they're experiencing at that point is just an unintentional side effect of the lag compensation. I'd say it's close to cheating.

I'm glad it doesn't work tbh. I only have 10mb upload so if I had to throttle that hard, I wouldn't be able to stream ever again.

3 hours ago, A1_Boston said:

So are there any tips on how to combat lag comp in MW? Im struggling over here. Ive read post after post, and it seems to be out of the gamers hands 

Depends if you are on PC or Console?

I have talked with other console players and it seems that you must have port 3074-3075 , 3478-3479 UDP/TCP and 4379-4380 UDP/TCP.  However, there are still other ports that needs to be opened.  They are telling me they are see these ports used most.  For me it's 3074 and everyone else see's that too.

I also notice a port in the lower right corner of the screen (at the main menu).  Yet I don't see that port open in DumaOS.  Does it need to be open? 

43 minutes ago, N3CR0 said:

I'm glad it doesn't work tbh. I only have 10mb upload so if I had to throttle that hard, I wouldn't be able to stream ever again.

10mb!!! lucky you, best I can get is fttc 28 down and 6 up. 

59 minutes ago, bagsta69 said:

10mb!!! lucky you, best I can get is fttc 28 down and 6 up. 

Used to have 20mb for upload but BT decided to take it away :(

I'm about 150m from the cab so on my FTTC line I get the full 55/10... until interleaving kicks in of course *rolls eyes*

On 11/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, N3CR0 said:

Its all about finding slider settings that the game likes... not what makes your line better imho. I just start at 99% and work my way down until I stop getting BS deaths and leave it on that. Worked for me on BOps3, IW and BOps4. WW2 was seriously inconsistent for me but the other games worked perfectly once I found that sweet spot.

99% of the time I'm the only one using my line when I play yet without QoS, the game plays like utter crap... unlike Battlefield V which I played over wifi on an interleaved line with no QoS and got 0 BS deaths or bullet sponges.

Anyways, I've tried throttling til your bandwidth is next to nothing many a time... never worked out well, not once.

I even tried (bar the 'stabilising trick') the 'tricks' DMC has been banging on about and again, no workie. 

Do you change the slidders mid-game? Or do you adjust and then reboot the game? I've never known what to do with COD games because every method I've tried feels like it doesnt work. Thanks 

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, A1_Boston said:

Do you change the slidders mid-game? Or do you adjust and then reboot the game? I've never known what to do with COD games because every method I've tried feels like it doesnt work. Thanks 

If you haven't already I'd recommend you run through our optimal settings guides: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

If you have and are still having issues then I'd recommend making a new topic explaining what you've tried already and let us know exactly what the issues are then we can go from there.

19 minutes ago, A1_Boston said:

In game. If I get a BS death... I drop my silders down by 1% until no more 'shoot first die first'.

Thats all I've ever done for the last 4 CoD games, always worked for me.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you haven't already I'd recommend you run through our optimal settings guides: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

If you have and are still having issues then I'd recommend making a new topic explaining what you've tried already and let us know exactly what the issues are then we can go from there.

Thanks, @Netduma Fraser, I will try this when I get home. I believe I tried all the advice on this page. Yall have been very informative and helpful, even when there were a**holes, yall were professional and kind 

On 11/6/2019 at 12:03 PM, East said:

Depends if you are on PC or Console?

I have talked with other console players and it seems that you must have port 3074-3075 , 3478-3479 UDP/TCP and 4379-4380 UDP/TCP.  However, there are still other ports that needs to be opened.  They are telling me they are see these ports used most.  For me it's 3074 and everyone else see's that too.

I also notice a port in the lower right corner of the screen (at the main menu).  Yet I don't see that port open in DumaOS.  Does it need to be open? 

on Xbox in cod you only use port 3074 to connect to x box live, then you will kick over to the cod servers.