New XR500 hotfix firmware for drop outs

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, wetmog said:

So it's been almost a week now and I've yet to have a single drop out issue since updating, will continue to monitor but so far so good.  Thanks!

That's great to hear, thank you for the update!

Guest Killhippie

Is this Hotfix primarily for the Xbox standby issue? I'm loathed to put the XR500 back up after having a 2:30am drop of 12Mbps and then a recovery after rebooting my modem in the morning incurring a final loss of another 3Mbps ( lost 14Mbps due to crosstalk since 2013 as ECI cabs don't have G.inp or 3db profiles) So now on 50Mbps down and 15.11 up. Hence not into mucking about with my line to much right now, and with QoS behaving badly on the XR500 and still random lock ups where it goes into a permanent high priority traffic mode even when set to 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' (When it does this you have to hard power down the router) The cause seems to be speed checks done on iOS and Mac devices if you do them as the router is returning to 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' mode. Also the XR500 seems to prefer booting up with all devices off to stop odd QoS and device manager behaviour and that's hard work when you are in a wheelchair and cant get behind things like a TV etc to unplug stuff, as even in standby some devices still communicate with the router. So Stuck using the Beta version of the RAX12 until the XR500 gets some true TLC. :(

On 5/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you, I have messaged a Netgear staff member asking them to invite you so please keep an eye on your Netgear Community messages.

Still no update from anyone from community, also made a post there regarding my problems and been radio silent.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Is this Hotfix primarily for the Xbox standby issue? I'm loathed to put the XR500 back up after having a 2:30am drop of 12Mbps and then a recovery after rebooting my modem in the morning incurring a final loss of another 3Mbps ( lost 14Mbps due to crosstalk since 2013 as ECI cabs don't have G.inp or 3db profiles) So now on 50Mbps down and 15.11 up. Hence not into mucking about with my line to much right now, and with QoS behaving badly on the XR500 and still random lock ups where it goes into a permanent high priority traffic mode even when set to 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' (When it does this you have to hard power down the router) The cause seems to be speed checks done on iOS and Mac devices if you do them as the router is returning to 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' mode. Also the XR500 seems to prefer booting up with all devices off to stop odd QoS and device manager behaviour and that's hard work when you are in a wheelchair and cant get behind things like a TV etc to unplug stuff, as even in standby some devices still communicate with the router. So Stuck using the Beta version of the RAX12 until the XR500 gets some true TLC. :(

It's primarily for the WAN disconnects though because those issues may be related it could fix your issue. So if it's not too much trouble then you could try it out, otherwise would maybe recommend you wait until the stable version is released.

37 minutes ago, mxa said:

Still no update from anyone from community, also made a post there regarding my problems and been radio silent.

Yours is for a different router and I've replied to you on the Netgear community. 

I love it, thank you for what you do.  Most people that own this router want more control, you give that to them.  With more control, there are bound to be hiccups.  By far the best router I have owned, and that has to do with the software that is on there.  I downgraded from the R9000 (in terms of hardware), best decision ever for my networking needs.

Guest Killhippie
16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So if it's not too much trouble then you could try it out, otherwise would maybe recommend you wait until the stable version is released.

Well as it’s almost five months since the last update I think I can wait a while longer for a update without to much trouble, especially if it's a stable one ;) 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Sealionamokk said:

I love it, thank you for what you do.  Most people that own this router want more control, you give that to them.  With more control, there are bound to be hiccups.  By far the best router I have owned, and that has to do with the software that is on there.  I downgraded from the R9000 (in terms of hardware), best decision ever for my networking needs.

Thank you for the kind words! Really glad to hear you're enjoying it :)

2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Well as it’s almost five months since the last update I think I can wait a while longer for a update without to much trouble, especially if it's a stable one ;) 

Totally understand! :)

I didn't know we have a hotfix for this problem, should be more visible... Well, I updated my router and I am waiting if my fiance report drops in his phone/tablet... I will report the status in a week.

2 hours ago, nytemare01 said:

What's about the issue of the device manager not recognizing devices being online? Been using the R1 for a while and it has none of these issues

That is a separate issue.. I don't think this hotfix will address this.. Some have downgraded back to firmware .32 But im not aware if they have even narrowed this issue down yet because we don't get any updates on where they are at with this.. Would be nice to get better communication on this though.. 

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

That is a separate issue.. I don't think this hotfix will address this.. Some have downgraded back to firmware .32 But im not aware if they have even narrowed this issue down yet because we don't get any updates on where they are at with this.. Would be nice to get better communication on this though.. 

Zippy.

For now I'm using the Netduma R1 with the DumaOS milestone 1.3 firmware and it's performing wonderfully.  But I really want to get back to using the XR500 because it's more powerful

• Administrators
On 5/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, Dj Keyz said:

Still drops out... As soon as the lease changes boom no internet! Only way around it is to assign static ip's for all devices which defeats the purpose of having a top tier router.

That's disappointing, does it still affect all devices or only those on wifi or wired connections?

On 5/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, nytemare01 said:

What's about the issue of the device manager not recognizing devices being online? Been using the R1 for a while and it has none of these issues

This is just a hotfix for the disconnect issue, any other fixes that do not severely impact connectivity would come in a stable release firmware.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:43 PM, SturmButcher said:

I didn't know we have a hotfix for this problem, should be more visible... Well, I updated my router and I am waiting if my fiance report drops in his phone/tablet... I will report the status in a week.

We pinned it to the top of the support forum. Where would you suggest we post it that would let you know about it sooner?

Is this related to a problem where if the Router has not been rebooting for weeks, out of nowhere, webpages sometimes start failing to load. Speedtest works fine. But I was having a problem trying to play Overwatch.  Getting kicked out all the way to the Start menu where it asks me to log in. And sometimes, it just won't even let me log in at all. Tried the different servers but same issue.
In the end, I connected my PC directly to the modem and boom. No issues whatsoever. Geo-filter for PC was set to Spectating mode. 
Rebooting only seems to solve the website loading issue. But I couldn't connect to the Overwatch Amazon servers that they use here in Singapore.

In the end, I had no choice but to save as much settings as I can and did a complete reset and typing out every single static IP addresses and all. Finally issue is gone. But that was truly painstaking.

I suspect the issue might be either related to this or because I tried your solution to get Apex Legends to be controlled via Geo-Filter which was to change my PC from Computer to Console. When I switched back to Computer, there were no issues for weeks. Until 3 days ago.

This thread is about fixing dropouts, so i'm not sure if your problem is related.

It does sound unusual, i'm wondering if something on your network was blocking UDP packets, and the factory reset wiped that setting.

18 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

This thread is about fixing dropouts, so i'm not sure if your problem is related.

It does sound unusual, i'm wondering if something on your network was blocking UDP packets, and the factory reset wiped that setting.

Indeed. It was weird. I tried deleting my PC from the Geo filter to no avail. If you call 100% packet loss when I try to ping the Amazon game servers as dropouts, then this is it.

I just thought this Firmware would fix my issue. I have over 50 devices connected to the network. Most being Home Automation (HA) devices thus why I assigned them static IPs to prevent any complications when they are trying to communicate with one another. I am not looking forward to writing the many settings again. And no, I can't use my backup as when after I reset and tried to use a backup file, it broke the Geo-Filter. With the section on top where I add devices to the Geo Filter not loading at all with an error displaying on screen every time I open the Geo-Filter page. And at the same time, this explains why I rarely reboot the router too as it will cause some HA devices to stop working which is a hassle of its own.

What specifically did the Geo-Filter error message say when you uploaded the backup file?

Because the backup function was designed by NETGEAR, you might have more luck over on the NETGEAR forum - their experts will be more likely to know what this issue is.

In the meantime, it might be worth making your network less complicated - perhaps by letting DHCP assign IP addresses instead of setting them all as static IPs. The reason i'm saying that is because the complex nature of your settings might be what's causing errors with the backup. Over 50 devices is an unusually high number, and it certainly makes an issue like this difficult, because wiping your settings and starting again becomes much harder than with a simpler network.

In theory I guess this is what the backup function is for, but it seems to have some issue that's either being caused by the backup process itself, or was on the original system and was transferred in the backup.

It might be worth opening another thread to deal specifically with this issue since it appears to be separate from the issue that this hotfix thread addresses.

• 3 weeks later...

I've come here to say that this hotfix update has done absolutely nothing to fix the internet dropout problem. This router unfortunately does not support ISPs that have dynamic IP addresses too well, and quite frankly its embarrassing. I've worked with the staff here numerous times to fix my problem, and no matter what they've told me or given me in terms of firmware updates, the problem still persists. Every time the router releases and renews the IP address given by my ISP, my entire network loses connection and I have to reboot it. Even with this hotfix, it will work for a little while longer than it usually does until it happens again.

I've had enough, and I am getting rid of my RX500 router in favor of Netgear's new AX8 WiFi 6 router. I clearly see there that they have gotten rid of your router software entirely and instead opted for their own in-house solution, most likely due to the fact that you guys can't seem to figure out how to fix a simple DHCP release & renew with your router software. I've tried to be nice and understanding with the staff here when it comes to this, but this is getting ridiculous and there are other routers out there that simply do not have the problem that you guys have with internet dropouts.

12 minutes ago, LastReaction said:

I've come here to say that this hotfix update has done absolutely nothing to fix the internet dropout problem. This router unfortunately does not support ISPs that have dynamic IP addresses too well, and quite frankly its embarrassing. I've worked with the staff here numerous times to fix my problem, and no matter what they've told me or given me in terms of firmware updates, the problem still persists. Every time the router releases and renews the IP address given by my ISP, my entire network loses connection and I have to reboot it. Even with this hotfix, it will work for a little while longer than it usually does until it happens again.

I've had enough, and I am getting rid of my RX500 router in favor of Netgear's new AX8 WiFi 6 router. I clearly see there that they have gotten rid of your router software entirely and instead opted for their own in-house solution, most likely due to the fact that you guys can't seem to figure out how to fix a simple DHCP release & renew with your router software. I've tried to be nice and understanding with the staff here when it comes to this, but this is getting ridiculous and there are other routers out there that simply do not have the problem that you guys have with internet dropouts.

Interesting not having this issue, maybe its the cable modem?

3 hours ago, vonskie said:

Interesting not having this issue, maybe its the cable modem?

It's definitely not the modem. I actually did have an issue with my modem initially; my ISP was unintentionally giving out defective modems to customers that had the Intel Puma 6 chipset which is known to cause the modem to randomly reboot due to the faulty chip. I got that replaced with a new modem that works perfectly fine, but the router still drops connection every time the modem changes the IP address. All signs point directly to the RX500 since I plugged in an older router that I had before I got this one and it worked fine for weeks with no issue.