New XR500 hotfix firmware for drop outs

On 6/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, LastReaction said:

It's definitely not the modem. I actually did have an issue with my modem initially; my ISP was unintentionally giving out defective modems to customers that had the Intel Puma 6 chipset which is known to cause the modem to randomly reboot due to the faulty chip. I got that replaced with a new modem that works perfectly fine, but the router still drops connection every time the modem changes the IP address. All signs point directly to the RX500 since I plugged in an older router that I had before I got this one and it worked fine for weeks with no issue.

Well if the hotfix didn't work, then there would be a widespread discussion. However that is not the case as from what I can tell you are the only one still reporting the issue. Maybe there is another issue causing this that you have yet to discover. It is also possible that the router might be defective.

1 hour ago, xolhid said:

Well if the hotfix didn't work, then there would be a widespread discussion. However that is not the case as from what I can tell you are the only one still reporting the issue. Maybe there is another issue causing this that you have yet to discover. It is also possible that the router might be defective.

I'm not the only one: 

- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-DHCP-lease-change/td-p/1712252

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-DHCP-issue/td-p/1627017

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/27594-xr500-constant-dhcp-lease-changes/

I'm sure there are many others having the same issue that aren't posting in forums. I apologize for the harsh words before, I was frustrated. But this is a problem happening to multiple users, not just me.

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, LastReaction said:

I'm not the only one: 

- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-DHCP-lease-change/td-p/1712252

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-DHCP-issue/td-p/1627017

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/27594-xr500-constant-dhcp-lease-changes/

I'm sure there are many others having the same issue that aren't posting in forums. I apologize for the harsh words before, I was frustrated. But this is a problem happening to multiple users, not just me.

There's no reason why this should be happening - it could well be a hardware malfunction. If DHCP lease time is ruled out it's worth contacting Netgear to see what they can do for you. If you're covered by warranty there's a possibility that's the option they'd take.

Aside from contacting Netgear to see what they can do, you could try setting static IP's instead of relying on DHCP - if you still get drop-outs after that then at least you've ruled it out.

Just now I noticed a drop with my devices...  All I can see on the log is the following:

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.10, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:11:52

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 217.117.121.49, port 10272, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:07:28

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Friday, June 14, 2019 15:07:10

[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Friday, June 14, 2019 15:07:10

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.65] to MAC address xxxxxxx, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:07:10

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Friday, June 14, 2019 15:05:35

[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Friday, June 14, 2019 15:05:35

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.50] to MAC address xxxxxxx, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:05:35

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Friday, June 14, 2019 15:05:33

[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Friday, June 14, 2019 15:05:33

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.50] to MAC address xxxxxxx, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:05:33

[DoS Attack: Ascend Kill] from source: 68.105.28.11, port 53, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:03:33

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 77.234.42.248, port 80, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:00:54

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 77.234.42.248, port 80, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:00:54

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 136.243.60.85, port 8000, Friday, June 14, 2019 15:00:03

One device was on Wireless, one wired...  Had an SSH connection to a remote system slow down to no-response and had a timeout when it happened.  The wireless device disconnected after that.

My other system did not respond, but it then recovered before the semaphore expired.

I also noticed the switch portion was 'unresponsive' for a short period as I am using Synergy to remote Keyboard/mouse the other wired laptop but it recovered.

Suggests to me something overload the network process, but I didn't have the Router info up until after it recovered.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, SKasai said:

Just now I noticed a drop with my devices...  All I can see on the log is the following:

One device was on Wireless, one wired...  Had an SSH connection to a remote system slow down to no-response and had a timeout when it happened.  The wireless device disconnected after that.

My other system did not respond, but it then recovered before the semaphore expired.

I also noticed the switch portion was 'unresponsive' for a short period as I am using Synergy to remote Keyboard/mouse the other wired laptop but it recovered.

Suggests to me something overload the network process, but I didn't have the Router info up until after it recovered.

Was there anything heavily using the internet at the time the disconnection occurred? Have you got static/reserved IPs set up for your devices at all?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Was there anything heavily using the internet at the time the disconnection occurred? Have you got static/reserved IPs set up for your devices at all?

Could not tell at the time, but there is a possibility that one of my users was downloading something, but I was not monitoring everything.

The Devices I noted the issue with (Desktop, Yoga Laptop, PixelBook) are mine and I made sure they were statically assigned via DHCP (I assigned them, made my DHCP open Pool between 100-199, those devices were designated below 100)

I have QoS enabled, set at 70%of 1000 mb for both up and down

• Administrators

So no other devices are affected by this at all? For your speeds you don't necessarily require QoS so I would turn that off in Anti-BB options and see if that helps the disconnection as well.

I can't say other devices are not affected, as I have no direct visibility to them.  I turned Anti-BB to Never for the moment.  I only note this is the first notable disruption I saw in 4 days running under the hotfix.

Had another disconnection, but only one device actually noticed it this time.  Happened around 18:22 my time.

Looking at the log:

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.10, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:54:28

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 157.240.22.19, port 443, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:23:48

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 157.240.22.19, port 443, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:23:16

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.28.34, port 5223, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:23:06

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.28.34, port 5223, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:21:51

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.28.34, port 5223, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:20:36

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.28.34, port 5223, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:19:20

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.28.34, port 5223, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:18:05

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 77.234.42.249, port 80, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:17:04

[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Echo] from source: 141.212.123.31, port 58564, Saturday, June 15, 2019 17:14:05

So during that time:

Desktop - No notable change but no serious activity either.

Laptop - SSH Terminal lost connection around 18:22 PST time.

Pixelbook - Game running in background - no drop

TiVo - Streaming Netflix at the time. - No Drop

Other devices - Presuming they are doing something.

I haven't had any recent drop outs that I could tell.

Another drop observed around 9:52 PM

During that time:

Desktop - No notable change but no serious activity. Although the SSH client I had running on there had a semaphore expire.

Laptop - SSH Terminal connection still there

Pixelbook - Game running lost internet connection - Was doing something on the pixelbook when it lost connection was trying to restart app, it seemed to be

TiVo - Seemed to take a moment while streaming Netflix near the end of the episode before switching to next episode at the time

Other devices - did not observe anything

The SSH Terminals do have 'keep-alive' settings, but strange only one got affected and not the other.

System log shows nothing happening around the time until after logging on to the router and seeing a DoS Ack report.

• Administrators

Okay well nothing in the logs to indicate that's the cause, verified the IPs are not malicious e.g. Facebook, Apple etc

It's very strange how it just seems to be a random device and not affect anything else. Disable Smart Connect for WiFi and connect to 2.4/5GHz individually, use 2.4GHz primarily as it is more stable, does that reduce the dropouts at all.

Currently not using Smart Connect.  Using separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

At one point, I though it was quirky that the system information was telling me I was on firmware v2.3.40 last night...  And now it is saying I am on firmware v2.3.40-C424a, at least from my vague recollection.

No reboots of the router and I do find it strange it is random device, although I am guessing it depends on when the device is 'actively' polling the network at a given time and when it times out.

Only other thing I noticed right now is System Information seems to tell me System Uptime load averages are in the 4.xx region.  Seems a little high in my opinion, even though the CPU monitors are bouncing around mid 30% on both CPUs.  Looking at current Network Monitor, seeing high traffic from 2 devices (Not mine but part of my network) so perhaps that is cause of the average load?

Also to clarify - Desktop, Laptop and TiVo are Hard-wired.

• Administrators

I know you set you set Anti-Bufferbloat to never but could you actually disable it in Anti-Bufferbloats options please as Traffic Prioritization will still be interacting with packets and I want to rule that out as a possible cause.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I know you set you set Anti-Bufferbloat to never but could you actually disable it in Anti-Bufferbloats options please as Traffic Prioritization will still be interacting with packets and I want to rule that out as a possible cause.

I presume you mean disable QoS in the options.  Disabled for now and will monitor.

Just registered a drop around 11:41 PM

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 3.82.10.177, port 5222, Sunday, June 16, 2019 22:42:46
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 3.82.10.177, port 5222, Sunday, June 16, 2019 22:42:36
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 3.82.10.177, port 5222, Sunday, June 16, 2019 22:42:26
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 72.167.18.239, port 80, Sunday, June 16, 2019 22:09:57
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Sunday, June 16, 2019 22:09:33
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Sunday, June 16, 2019 22:09:33

Affected:

Desktop - SSH Terminal shows Semaphore expired - No direct activity

Laptop - SSH Terminal showed Semaphore expired - No direct activity

Pixelbook - Game in progress - Was interacting at time and suddenly lost connection and tried to re-established.

Looked on Router Log, no reaction around that time until I poked Desktop to re-establish SSH connection, then entry for DOS attacks around 22:42 showed up.

Two systems on network seem to be consuming bandwidth, but unfortunately, since I can't really 'scroll' back to see around the time period, could not tell if they 'hogged' it or if they got dropped as well.

My SSH and the game on my Pixelbook aren't serious consumers and I did stop Netflix on TiVo prior to the drop, the other two devices I presume were downloading during those times earlier.

Log is set with checks on everything (Default, did not touch) so the gap between 22:09 - 22:42 when the event happened around 22:41 (Router time)

Unfortunately, don't have much more to go on other than suspecting the WAN connection having issues.

Checked Cable Modem as well and it showed no issues around this time as well.

• Administrators

Do you have a switch by chance that you put behind the router and have wired devices connect to that and see if that prevents the drop outs? (it seems to be wired devices mostly that cause it from our experience with similar issues)

I do have a switch behind the router, although the desktop was directly hooked to it.

The laptop, admittedly, is hooked to the switch that is then connected to the router.

The TiVo, Samsung TV, Western Digital Cloud, Laptop and one other device is hooked up to the switch.

It is a Netgear GS108, unmanaged and not the Green switch.

• Administrators

So they were all connected to the switch and it's still an issue, I think at this point the only things I could suggest would be downgrading to an older firmware and then if its stable stay on that until a firm fix has been released or make a ticket with Netgear and see if they have any further suggestions otherwise they may do a replacement.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So they were all connected to the switch and it's still an issue, I think at this point the only things I could suggest would be downgrading to an older firmware and then if its stable stay on that until a firm fix has been released or make a ticket with Netgear and see if they have any further suggestions otherwise they may do a replacement.

So drop down to Firmware 2.3.2.32?

Edit: Dropped down to 2.3.2.32 as suggested and we'll see.

As of Today 6/21/2019 this "hotfix" does not help with the LAN disconnects and I was told by "top techs" at Netgear that their engineers are working with NetDUMA towards a solution to this issue. I'm on a XBox One X and their work around they say is to take my XBox off instant on which too me seems like a firmware issue as the wifi still continues to work. My speeds stay fine (452Mbps to 725Mbps) on wifi even when the wired devices lose their internet connections. Also wanted to add that this issue doesn't just disconnect the XBox but anything wired to the router. Will see if taking it off instant on really works.