New XR500 hotfix firmware for drop outs

Sadly, I had to return mine, which may be a hardware issue, but at this time, not feeling the desire to see if a different one will solve the issue.

I do recommend that NetDuma may want to include some verbose logging, especially if using something to determine ping to remote services and what not, to include reporting when abnormal ping backs (500m-2000m delay returns).

From what I have observed is that when drops are happening, there seems to be some sort of 'delayed state' with networking.  I don't believe it is firmware given the sporadicness (Inconsistent in when it happens) and makes it difficult to trace down what is causing the drops.

I may also recommend not logging DoS attacks from 'known good domains', as it can muddying the diagnostic look back.

• Administrators
On 6/21/2019 at 9:12 PM, CeeDaRula said:

As of Today 6/21/2019 this "hotfix" does not help with the LAN disconnects and I was told by "top techs" at Netgear that their engineers are working with NetDUMA towards a solution to this issue. I'm on a XBox One X and their work around they say is to take my XBox off instant on which too me seems like a firmware issue as the wifi still continues to work. My speeds stay fine (452Mbps to 725Mbps) on wifi even when the wired devices lose their internet connections. Also wanted to add that this issue doesn't just disconnect the XBox but anything wired to the router. Will see if taking it off instant on really works.

Yes that is a legitimate workaround even though it affects all wired devices. Think it's something to do with the WOL not working correctly when console comes out of sleep mode which then somehow affects the LAN ports. Does the workaround help you?

On 6/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, Tripper said:

My friend sometimes randomly disconnects idk if it has anything to do with this but I hope the next firmware updates fix problems like this.

Have you suggested they try the hotfix or disable instant on mode on console?

On 6/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, vonskie said:

Just wanted to report back in, hotfix is still working like a champ!

Great to hear that!

On 6/23/2019 at 6:59 PM, SKasai said:

Sadly, I had to return mine, which may be a hardware issue, but at this time, not feeling the desire to see if a different one will solve the issue.

I do recommend that NetDuma may want to include some verbose logging, especially if using something to determine ping to remote services and what not, to include reporting when abnormal ping backs (500m-2000m delay returns).

From what I have observed is that when drops are happening, there seems to be some sort of 'delayed state' with networking.  I don't believe it is firmware given the sporadicness (Inconsistent in when it happens) and makes it difficult to trace down what is causing the drops.

I may also recommend not logging DoS attacks from 'known good domains', as it can muddying the diagnostic look back.

Sorry to hear you returned the router, hope you'll consider it again in the future!

We do have plans in the future to add better diagnostics that should then help with issues such as this.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, vonskie said:

Well I made it 14 days and then my router for no reason rebooted!

When it rebooted did you notice if the router was hot or not? It may have overheated, especially now it is summer. Make sure it's on a surface where the vents aren't covered.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running the V2.3.2.40-C424a firmware for awhile now and it initially, the internet disconnects seem to have stopped. However, in the last couple weeks they have came back and I have to manually reboot the router at least once a week. When the router loses connectivity, I'm unable to access it via a web browser until a hard reboot is performed. It's almost like it runs out of buffers, or memory, and just craps out. 

I'm really discouraged the fact that the 2.3.2.40 firmware has been out since December and we still don't have an update out to resolve it. I never had an issue with the previous router brand I had until it one of the wireless radios died from old age (4-5 years).

I'm only using the anti-bufferbloat when high priority traffic is detected (I could manually do the same with my previous router). Outside that feature wise, everything is pretty default. I'm tech savy, but not having shell access to the router, I can't pull logs to check for anything.

• Administrators
On 7/20/2019 at 1:33 AM, gdadkins said:

I've been running the V2.3.2.40-C424a firmware for awhile now and it initially, the internet disconnects seem to have stopped. However, in the last couple weeks they have came back and I have to manually reboot the router at least once a week. When the router loses connectivity, I'm unable to access it via a web browser until a hard reboot is performed. It's almost like it runs out of buffers, or memory, and just craps out. 

I'm really discouraged the fact that the 2.3.2.40 firmware has been out since December and we still don't have an update out to resolve it. I never had an issue with the previous router brand I had until it one of the wireless radios died from old age (4-5 years).

I'm only using the anti-bufferbloat when high priority traffic is detected (I could manually do the same with my previous router). Outside that feature wise, everything is pretty default. I'm tech savy, but not having shell access to the router, I can't pull logs to check for anything.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Rest assured that the issue is being worked on from multiple teams. Have you tried any of the workarounds? For example, disabling console instant on/standby modes or using a switch between the router and console.

Hello i have the netgear xr500 ,i am on firmware  2.3.2.56...and i am getting connection drops...i want to know,if it is safe to do this “hotfix” ,because it is an earlier firmware...and what else could i do

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Jasko90 said:

Hello i have the netgear xr500 ,i am on firmware  2.3.2.56...and i am getting connection drops...i want to know,if it is safe to do this “hotfix” ,because it is an earlier firmware...and what else could i do

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Yes it is safe to do, it should be included in the firmware you're already on though. Try it and if you're still getting issues re-upgrade to .56 and then create a topic with more details and we can make suggestions.

i updated to the recent firmware for my xr 500 and im still getting connection drops any suggestion ..im on xnox one x and it drops and comes back ..its doen it twice today just randomly ..my power setting is on energy savings on my xbox i had to go back to 2.4 bc it kept dropping every 10 mins 

• 4 weeks later...

on behalf of the mate i sold this router too, I foolishly upgraded his firmware from the working hotfix version of .40 to .56 only to have the router start rebooting 2 x times a day ??

then reverted back to .40 but in the information, it still shows as .56 but I know it hasnt because the NTP settings page has gone back to .40 hotfix version. So im getting a false reading on the current firmware, how is this rectified ?

firmware.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the listed firmware version is just a cosmetic element, perhaps it's not being updated correctly...

If you were to downgrade to the earliest available version, and then back up to .40, I wonder if that would force the name to change?

10 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I'm pretty sure that the listed firmware version is just a cosmetic element, perhaps it's not being updated correctly...

If you were to downgrade to the earliest available version, and then back up to .40, I wonder if that would force the name to change?

so far the only stable version has been .40 hotfix. And since this only seems to be a cosmetic issue, i dont want to "rock the boat" too much with firmware updating...

for now ill just leave it for now.... maybe milestone 3 will sort it all out lol 

I imagine (although i'm not sure) that the listed version number is reflective of a certain file in the system, and perhaps that file is mistakenly not being updated.

In fact, I reckon the reason for that is because it's a hotfix firmware. Perhaps this file was not correctly matched with the internal software version.

Either way, as I said, it appears to just be a cosmetic issue.

46 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I imagine (although i'm not sure) that the listed version number is reflective of a certain file in the system, and perhaps that file is mistakenly not being updated.

In fact, I reckon the reason for that is because it's a hotfix firmware. Perhaps this file was not correctly matched with the internal software version.

Either way, as I said, it appears to just be a cosmetic issue.

many thanks, I will let it run for a while and see if unscheduled reboots return....

On 10/17/2019 at 11:53 AM, Netduma Alex said:

ok, so i downgraded to .40 like you suggested and then up to .40 hotfix. The firmware still shows .56 ....? So it seems this cosmetic issue has left the router scarred for life lol....

also, the router is rebooting itself roughly every 24 hours (sometimes twice a day) , usually between 6 and 7pm....weird....?