New XR500 hotfix firmware for drop outs

• Administrators

Good news, NETGEAR are happy for us to publicly share the link to a hot fix firmware which should address the very small % of users who are experiencing drop outs. Here it is:

https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tichang_netgear_com/Efc2T54tBPREtZwrMtj7PF8BGssdUVOk7aCG_PBzlFyMzQ?e=OAwQnP

Keep in mind this is the exact same as the current release (2.3.2.40), just with a small hotfix which may fix drop outs. There's no real need to install this firmware if you are not experiencing any drop outs.

Upgrade Instructions:

1. Using the Download Link below, download the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop.
  2. Run your web browser and open http://www.routerlogin.net.
  3. Click Settings => Administration => Firmware Upgrade page.
  4. Click Browser button and locate the firmware image file.
  5. Click Upload button.
  6. Wait for upgrade progress to complete.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Drop outs as in WAN, Ethernet or wireless?

WAN manly, but may also help with LAN side

Guest Killhippie
25 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

WAN manly, but may also help with LAN side

Will this be rolled out in a soon to be released firmware. Also why has Netgear not actually released it on their site as a Hotfix if it can help?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Will this be rolled out in a soon to be released firmware. Also why has Netgear not actually released it on their site as a Hotfix if it can help?

It will be assuming people report that its fixed their issues. Most likely to ensure it does actually work and that if there are still issues it doesn't affect everyone.

Wow, was just surfing around and found this topic with an solution for my drop outs. I have them very randomly and since my LAN is working and can reach the router but disconnected from the WAN I beleived it was my ISP having some issues and not the router. I have tried the link but it´s not working for me (tried both Opera/Chrome).

I have the XR500 and is very pleased with it overall (had an Asus RT-AC87U before with RMerlin FW).

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, TurboFreak said:

Wow, was just surfing around and found this topic with an solution for my drop outs. I have them very randomly and since my LAN is working and can reach the router but disconnected from the WAN I beleived it was my ISP having some issues and not the router. I have tried the link but it´s not working for me (tried both Opera/Chrome).

I have the XR500 and is very pleased with it overall (had an Asus RT-AC87U before with RMerlin FW).

Glad this'll be the solution to your problem, the link works for me, it is quite slow though, how long are you waiting for it to load?

I just put my Netduma back on the network with this hotfix.  I'm hoping this will fix my WAN dropping issues.  Should we report back to this thread or open a new thread if we continue to see the same issue?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, wetmog said:

I just put my Netduma back on the network with this hotfix.  I'm hoping this will fix my WAN dropping issues.  Should we report back to this thread or open a new thread if we continue to see the same issue?

Hope it works for you. Could you post in this thread please, that'll be a bit easier for us to track rather than it becoming spread out.

Mine is not dropping out, it reboots every few days on .40

I know this because the router sets in front of me and I see the lights flash and etc as it goes through the reboot and the up time is zeroed out.

Will this fix that issue?

If not I will leave it offline and shelved till someone has a fix for that

On 5/2/2019 at 11:23 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad this'll be the solution to your problem, the link works for me, it is quite slow though, how long are you waiting for it to load?

I tried again now today and it did work as it should, I live in Sweden so might be on a time when many tries to download it last time I did try.

Will try this out now and see how it works. :)

Guest Killhippie
On 5/3/2019 at 7:37 PM, vonskie said:

Mine is not dropping out, it reboots every few days on .40

I know this because the router sets in front of me and I see the lights flash and etc as it goes through the reboot and the up time is zeroed out.

Will this fix that issue?

If not I will leave it offline and shelved till someone has a fix for that

That sounds more like a hardware issues, Ive never seen mine do that, it could be the power supply problem so might be worth contacting netgear.

I tried hotfix firmware ........ for a day or so .......... but noticed it have new issue with inconsistent  speed over Wi-Fi  ( while sitting next to the router connected to 5Ghz )  , hardwired works fine gives full speed as expected 

reverting back to stable firmware ....Wi-Fi works fine

3 hours ago, ryfg said:

I tried hotfix firmware ........ for a day or so .......... but noticed it have new issue with inconsistent  speed over Wi-Fi  ( while sitting next to the router connected to 5Ghz )  , hardwired works fine gives full speed as expected 

Ok, thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, ryfg said:

Hotfix firmware works well on 5GHz for me.  No disconnects and I am getting full ISP speeds over 5GHz wireless.

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Hotfix firmware works well on 5GHz for me.  No disconnects and I am getting full ISP speeds over 5GHz wireless.

Lucky you :)

sadly not work well for me for some reasons ................... 

speed test result are fine ...on WiFi with hotfix firmware ( tested on speedtest.net and fast.com ) 

...issue comes here -> 
lets say i'm downloading .....4GB file from local Sever hosted at ISP ( using Akamai CDN or Cloudfare CDN  .. ping to server is 4ms-5ms)  

download starts good ..getting full speed .. all of sudden as soon as file reach like 1.5GB to 2GB .......speed drops like over 50% and keep fluctuating over Wi-Fi

but downloading same file via Ethernet cable  .... speed is fine getting full ISP speed .. on same servers ....................... so downgrading to stable firmware fix my issue  with Wi-Fi 

I have tested this on system with
OS Used  - Windows 10 and Windows 7
Wi-Fi Card -  Intel Wireless-AC 9560 and Intel Wireless-AC 7260  
Connection Type - FTTH  ( 300/300 ) 
--> i have reset router after installing hotfix firmware  

• Administrators

That could just be issues with channel contention, use a wifi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that. Also its a firmware just meant for the drop out issues, if you don't have it I wouldn't recommend using it as it's not a fully tested firmware ready for public release.

59 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That could just be issues with channel contention, use a wifi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that. Also its a firmware just meant for the drop out issues, if you don't have it I wouldn't recommend using it as it's not a fully tested firmware ready for public release.

i did checked   , than used channel number  44 and 64(DFS)  ........... during that time there was only x2 5GHz wireless network  in range .... one was at channel number 36 and other was on channel number 149 ... maybe i miss some step here and there ..... 

through i do agree with you fraser .........if i don't have drop issue .. i should not have used it :)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mxa said:

Is there a firmware for the xr700 for this? I am having issues with wifi disconnecting over and over. Am on the latest .10 firmware

Hello, welcome to the forum!

There is but you need to be invited to it, could you make an account on community.netgear.com if you haven't already and then let me know your username and i'll pass it on so you can be invited.

59 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hello, welcome to the forum!

There is but you need to be invited to it, could you make an account on community.netgear.com if you haven't already and then let me know your username and i'll pass it on so you can be invited.

msg sent