XR500 No internet after reboot

On 2/16/2019 at 6:35 PM, jdmefsir said:

this may or may not be the same situation. If i reboot both my modem and router i wont get internet connection. What I have to do is unplug the modem, reboot the router till it comes back on line fully them turn my modem back on. If i turn off both and do modem then router i do not get internet back till i reboot the modem again after the router is already back up and running fully

I tried it per your instructions and it does work in my case in the way that you describe.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Use this mac is a good setting also rebooting from the big button on back of modem and unplugging power cord  briefly works well.

What does NOT work well is rebooting from the UI! Had to go through the process 3x before I found a solution. On a brighter side my ISP was refusing the change my IP when I asked them. Hahaha +1 for net duma

• 3 weeks later...

Update.. So i have finally given up on the xr500. i dont understand how such a basic function of rebooting a device is a failure. I think the way dumaos handle's DHCP from the isp is broken and needs to be looked at.

I have put my Asus ac68u back in and have had no issues rebooted it 4 times alone last night without a problem yet with the xr500 i reboot it once and have to power off my entire network to get a connection on the stupid thing.

Now i have to try and sell the xr500 as its past the 30 day return window yay.

3 minutes ago, Boga said:

Update.. So i have finally given up on the xr500. i dont understand how such a basic function of rebooting a device is a failure. I think the way dumaos handle's DHCP from the isp is broken and needs to be looked at.

I have put my Asus ac68u back in and have had no issues rebooted it 4 times alone last night without a problem yet with the xr500 i reboot it once and have to power off my entire network to get a connection on the stupid thing.

Now i have to try and sell the xr500 as its past the 30 day return window yay.

Hey Boga, What firmware were you using on the XR500?

Zippy..

Just now, Boga said:

V2.3.2.40 the latest

Try downgrading back to the .32 firmware.. See if that resolves the issue.. I had the similar issue with rebooting.. 

Report back here with your results.. Thanks!

Good luck!

Zippy.

19 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Try downgrading back to the .32 firmware.. See if that resolves the issue.. I had the similar issue with rebooting.. 

Report back here with your results.. Thanks!

Good luck!

Zippy.

Hi Zippy,

Thanks for the suggestion but i need the hybrid vpn. plus ive wasted enough of my time on this product.

This issue happens to me as well. I believe it's with the .40 firmware. The Network Map/Network Monitor doesn't work properly and also the router doesn't come back up after a reboot unless I power on the modem and router at the same time. Earlier firmware versions do not have this issue. It's a catch 22 because I need ping assist. Otherwise I would go back to the earlier versions. The next version of firmware needs to address these issues IF possible. Thanks!

• Administrators

How are you guys rebooting the router, unplugging it or from the interface itself? There are three ways to do so, please try all 3 and see if the issue is present with each:

• Unplug and replug in the router
  • From the 'i' icon on the top right of the interface
  • Settings > Administration > Reboot

11 hours ago, Boga said:

Hi Zippy,

Thanks for the suggestion but i need the hybrid vpn. plus ive wasted enough of my time on this product.

Your welcome Boga.. And don't get me wrong I can understand your frustration.. I too have invested a lot of time with this router as well and have had to do things way beyond what I expected to..  If your able to hang onto this router at least until the next firmware drop it maybe something to consider.. Because when the stars all a line properly I could see this being a very dominating router.. This is just a suggestion.. It is up to you on what you do.. But I am hoping the next firmware will swing things into a more positive direction.. 

Zippy.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How are you guys rebooting the router, unplugging it or from the interface itself? There are three ways to do so, please try all 3 and see if the issue is present with each:

Hey Fraser.. Ive tried the above using the same methods stated above and didn't have any luck with either of the methods using the most current firmware.. I currently have downgraded to .32 and am able to reboot the router without issue using the last two of your options..  Never did try using the first option because the last two always work. But just to be clear none of those options work with the latest firmware.. Hope this helps! :) 

Zippy.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No luck with these methods. Like I said in an earlier post the .40 firmware is the culprit. 

• 5 months later...

I've been having these same issues.. 

Every time I reset modem BANG it won't handshake with my nbn connection device for 30 mins. 

Tried everything but seems to be a netgear/duma issue with DHCP and MAC address. 

Stay away from this modem if anyone here is hunting for info 

• 3 months later...

do you in bridge mode with your ISP ? maybe you need to check your mac adress inside your gataway to make sure it is the same than your netgear

Sorry for my english....

for myself, it was hapened many times, but now I have a static ip adress on my netgear and I have static MAC adress. when I rebooted my netgear, and I cant connect to my network, I enter manually my Ip adress and mac adress with DNS et fortunatly for myself that work.  But it is not your case, I don't know how you should do... 

12 minutes ago, DanyKTM said:

for myself, it was hapened many times, but now I have a static ip adress on my netgear and I have static MAC adress. when I rebooted my netgear, and I cant connect to my network, I enter manually my Ip adress and mac adress with DNS et fortunatly for myself that work.  But it is not your case, I don't know how you should do... 

I did try to put on so ISP picks my DNS that migth help well see next time I reboot it

Edited by fliptemprr
Spelling mistake

My environment has been stable since January (no changes in ISP or hardware) until the last v2.3.2.56.

Since then I noticed:

1. Frequent internet Drops:  Within the Admin console it would show as internet not connected.  Typically within 1-3 days.
  2. Device manager, Geo Assist, are no longer responding when it's in this state.  To me it appears this spiraling affect as everything seams great after a reboot, all the dumaos application works.  However, when my internet drops and I go to investigate I noticed all these odd behaviors with the dumaos (but unsure if it's a build up, or a side affect of the internet dropping issue)

To get it back if I have to remove/reinsert the cable from the modem (but this appears to be very short term as the dumaos applications will not return and it will repeat in a shorter period) or restart the router from the gui, and it will rest that 1-3 day clock again.  I have a 1Gig Fiber connection, so no modem to contend with.

I have done the following steps, no change in behavior:

1. hard power down, power up.
  2. Reset router to defaults through gui, re-enter minimum settings (wifi, DhCP range)
  3. Disabled smart connect
  4.  Disabled QoS, later all bandwidth features
  5.  Not leveraging IP6, or uPNP.  Pretty much all generic/default outside of Wifi and DNS (open dns, but I have leverage the ISP with no change).

What does work:

•   I have a spare X4S (R7500V2) (similar chipset/hardware) with DDWRT installed.  Going from 1-3 days for several weeks with the internet disconnecting on a regular basis and trying a multitude of changes, to now 3+ weeks and running with the X4S (only change) I'm changing my mind regarding features vs stability:).

I understand the situation that DumaOS is in as we are later in this lifecycle product as I assume Netgear probably sees a trend of lower cases at this point, so no motivation to push any major updates.  I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but myself will probably move the RX450 over to ddwrt if I don't see any updates by January just so I can use the better hardware and not be a total waste (which obviously is not ideal since we paid premium to have those dumaos features).

It's a difficult situation for both companies to be in, but it would have been ideal if they could be updated independently.  Firmware from Netgear, OS from DumaOS.  Lesson learned for me and hope they remedy that in the future to avoid similar obstacles.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your XR450, it sucks that your DumaOS experience has been marred by this problem.

Initially when I read you were experiencing disconnects, I thought that it might be an issue between your modem and your router, but then you talked about DumaOS applications becoming unresponsive, and that changes matters.

Let's try this first:

Now let me know if the problems still persist or not. If they do, then it suggests that the hotfix isn't working on the latest firmware.

9 hours ago, lgestle said:

I understand the situation that DumaOS is in as we are later in this lifecycle product as I assume Netgear probably sees a trend of lower cases at this point, so no motivation to push any major updates.  I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but myself will probably move the RX450 over to ddwrt if I don't see any updates by January just so I can use the better hardware and not be a total waste (which obviously is not ideal since we paid premium to have those dumaos features).

It's a difficult situation for both companies to be in, but it would have been ideal if they could be updated independently.  Firmware from Netgear, OS from DumaOS.  Lesson learned for me and hope they remedy that in the future to avoid similar obstacles.

We're actually not planning to drop support for DumaOS on any of the devices it's currently available on. Currently we are reliant on Netgear to push out updates to our section of the software, but in the long term we're planning to improve this situation to allow our updates to be more responsive.

In case you haven't seen it, we recently announced DumaOS 3.0 which is going to be a massive update. We haven't announced a release date yet, but I think it will be worth waiting for. https://forum.netduma.com/topic/29487-announcement-the-future-of-dumaos-version-30/

You probably know this, but putting DD-WRT on the XR450 would invalidate its warranty. I assume you know what you're doing though. I think you can restore DumaOS using TFTP but we can't offer support in this endeavour for obvious reasons.