XR500 No internet after reboot

This may have something to do with dhp query request

Usually, in normal mode, it would take 3 minutes to request for an IP.  And that request may not be granted immediately.  It would take another 3 minutes to do so until such time the ISP server issues one

There is however a new feature in Asus that would shortens that request period.  They call it Aggressive Mode.  It requests for an IP from ISP servers more often until it issues one.  I think every few seconds.

However, aggressive mode doesn't work well with some ISP.  The ISP would block the router if it detects too much requests.  That is why some router like Netgear may chose to stick with Normal Mode or every 3 minutes.

There is what is known as "hand shaking" this means that a router has to communicate and varify itself to the ISP that it belongs to the owner who is subscribed to them which is you. This takes a longer than usual time if you have a PPPoE connection. Aggressive mode sends a connection request about every 20 seconds or so, this may cause an isp to think it is under an attack. It is not recommended to reboot your router or turn it off regularly as leaving it on is what it is designed to do. Hope this helps to explain the reasons why it takes so long to obtain a public IP address and connect to the internet.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Magik Mark said:

Is it possible to have aggressive mode option in Duma?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That isn't currently possible but it may be something we could implement if it's something we feel will be beneficial to a lot of people.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. If my internet drops out or I restart my XR500 it won't automatically reconnect to the internet. I am lucky that my ISP has a handy app that I can look at what MAC address is connected to them. After a router restart or dropout I have looked and seen 3 MAC addressed connected. These are the 3 devices I have connected to LAN (PS4, Arlo hub and NAS. 

I can also use  the ISP app to kick the connecting so it boots the above MACs and finds and connects to the Xr500 so I don't have to wait 30min for the new lease. 

This is a real pain. My dynamic IP changed today and my router didn't pick it up so I reset it Via the power button and then it picks up other MACs. I rang ISP because the app wouldn't kick the connection and they had to reset it on there end. 

This is very frustrating and needs to be addressed in new firmware. I don't think rolling back to old firmware is a solution FYI. 

Cheers 

11 hours ago, Lok1472 said:

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. If my internet drops out or I restart my XR500 it won't automatically reconnect to the internet. I am lucky that my ISP has a handy app that I can look at what MAC address is connected to them. After a router restart or dropout I have looked and seen 3 MAC addressed connected. These are the 3 devices I have connected to LAN (PS4, Arlo hub and NAS. 

I can also use  the ISP app to kick the connecting so it boots the above MACs and finds and connects to the Xr500 so I don't have to wait 30min for the new lease. 

This is a real pain. My dynamic IP changed today and my router didn't pick it up so I reset it Via the power button and then it picks up other MACs. I rang ISP because the app wouldn't kick the connection and they had to reset it on there end. 

This is very frustrating and needs to be addressed in new firmware. I don't think rolling back to old firmware is a solution FYI. 

Cheers 

This is a problem which hopefully will be fixed when 3.0 comes out. On Netgear routers, the section of the firmware that handles DHCP leases is developed by Netgear, so it would be down to them to make changes to that portion.

11 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

This is a problem which hopefully will be fixed when 3.0 comes out. On Netgear routers, the section of the firmware that handles DHCP leases is developed by Netgear, so it would be down to them to make changes to that portion.

Is there an ETA on 3.0?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 3:36 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it will be. A Netgear developer confirmed on the XR500 forum that they have identified the issue and will be available in one of the next beta builds.

Current beta build is still having this issue. Im with same ISP as OP with 30 minute lease time. Please get this fixed asap. Driving me up the wall since I've owned it

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, digz_au said:

Current beta build is still having this issue. Im with same ISP as OP with 30 minute lease time. Please get this fixed asap. Driving me up the wall since I've owned it

It will be in one of the next builds so the fix is on the way.

Hi to everyone! I am not really sure if I have this issue... before 4 months i had the issue to lose connection internet. I realize that there is no internet connection but all leds on the XR 500 and ISP modem/router it was green and white, indication that I have internet. When I reboot the XR 500 then the internet led became red and I had to reboot the ISP modem/router to solve the issue. I thought that the problem it is the ISP modem/router and I replaced it. Now this days I have again the same problem.... I can’t understand if the problem is from XR500 or from my ISP modem/router. The XR 500 is connected through PPPoE. 

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Kostas83 said:

Hi to everyone! I am not really sure if I have this issue... before 4 months i had the issue to lose connection internet. I realize that there is no internet connection but all leds on the XR 500 and ISP modem/router it was green and white, indication that I have internet. When I reboot the XR 500 then the internet led became red and I had to reboot the ISP modem/router to solve the issue. I thought that the problem it is the ISP modem/router and I replaced it. Now this days I have again the same problem.... I can’t understand if the problem is from XR500 or from my ISP modem/router. The XR 500 is connected through PPPoE. 

The issue in question will be fixed and we have/will be making improvements around PPPoE so in theory 3.0 should help you if it is a router problem.