XR500 Update Wishlist (Mods/Devs Tag Thread)

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with Netgear's XR500 router. (R7800 with a bit more flash RAM with DumaOS GUI equipped)

Yet as a man who enjoys his pasttime playing FPS console games outside of his career... What can WE the consumers expect from the next update? Will Duma's FW be seamless and

Can we reach a mutual agreement on disabling DPI?

The main reason I purchased this Netgear router with DumaOS GUI was for the Geo-Filter functionality. Now everything seems like a marketing gimmick.

What would you like to see as a "gamechanger" for the next update? Please respond below.

• Administrators

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed with Netgear's XR500 router. (R7800 with a bit more flash RAM with DumaOS GUI equipped)

Yet as a man who enjoys his pasttime playing FPS console games outside of his career... What can WE the consumers expect from the next update? Will Duma's FW be seamless and

Can we reach a mutual agreement on disabling DPI?

The main reason I purchased this Netgear router with DumaOS GUI was for the Geo-Filter functionality. Now everything seems like a marketing gimmick.

What would you like to see as a "gamechanger" for the next update? Please respond below.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you explain why you would want to disable DPI? It's used for detection and monitoring, it does not interfere with your connection in any way.

Could you also expand on why you feel the rest of the OS is a marketing gimmick? We have very powerful QoS, network monitoring etc.

As for the next update - the first one will include denial of dedicated servers. But we have SO many more features planned on our roadmap and we're always keen to hear feedback and ideas from our users so let us know what you would like to see!

i think all us XR500 owners are getting a bit fed up waiting on Netgear dishing out an update, one with an "actual update", and not just some trivial bugfix.....

• Administrators

As well as denying dedicated servers as mentioned above, can also allow them. Geo-Filter variable zoom has been added, I'm sure there is something else on the Geo-Filter but cannot remember right this second.

Things I would like to see in the next firmware update or in the near future:

1. Dedi server ban

2. Ping Assist

3. Enable the router to perform a speed test without having to go through the whole setup process just to determine speeds as they can vary.

4. Be able to choose other VPN clients rather than forcing HMA on us

5. Peer ping, just for curiosity's sake

Regards,

As a minimal/non-gamer who loves the XR500 I would love to see the following in future updates:

1. Ability to specify popular apps and not just games for setting priorities such as: Netflix, Hulu, Youtube (other high resource intensive media sites)

2. Channel Optimization. There are many apps out there to optimize and figure out which is the best channel to use but this router has many more channels not just typical channels most 

people use so if there was a way it could auto determine which channel is the clearest with the strongest signal and suggest or auto-connect that would be awesome. 

Still, best router I've ever used by far, thanks for all the hard work put into this.

• Administrators

As a minimal/non-gamer who loves the XR500 I would love to see the following in future updates:

1. Ability to specify popular apps and not just games for setting priorities such as: Netflix, Hulu, Youtube (other high resource intensive media sites)

2. Channel Optimization. There are many apps out there to optimize and figure out which is the best channel to use but this router has many more channels not just typical channels most 

people use so if there was a way it could auto determine which channel is the clearest with the strongest signal and suggest or auto-connect that would be awesome. 

Still, best router I've ever used by far, thanks for all the hard work put into this.

Traffic Prioritization is for low bandwidth applications i.e. games so putting high bandwidth applications under this would have an adverse affect.

There is Auto for 2.4Ghz I believe, maybe a WiFi scanner R-App would be something to consider!

Great to hear that, you're welcome and welcome to the forum!

One thing I'd like to see in a future update would be able to lock in the values in the 'Set Device Bandwidth' in both upload and download, as it's a little annoying that you have to re-config the values if a device is added or removed.

• Administrators

One thing I'd like to see in a future update would be able to lock in the values in the 'Set Device Bandwidth' in both upload and download, as it's a little annoying that you have to re-config the values if a device is added or removed.

We can definitely add that, good idea!

Hi Netduma Team,

First, congratulations Netduma on Duma OS and XR500 absolutely love it. Have a quite a few for the update wish list if possible?

1. Ivp6 compatibility with all Netduma features if possible? 

In Device Manger Symbols if possible for the following?

1. Nintendo Switch

2. Apple Watches, Fitbit Ionic, Smart Watches etc 

3. Google Home, Apple HomePod etc

4. Fitbit Aria Scales (for gamers wanting to watch their weight) like me lol

5. Smart Lights (as will be my next purchase this weekend.)

As you can see via attached picture have Smart Watches and Fitbit Aria Scales under the phone symbol.  :( Google Home and Apple HomePod under the Computer symbol.  :( 

Regards John

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1526027472-U18481.png

• Netduma Staff

Hi Netduma Team,

First, congratulations Netduma on Duma OS and XR500 absolutely love it. Have a quite a few for the update wish list if possible?

1. Nintendo Switch

As you can see via attached picture have Smart Watches and Fitbit Aria Scales under the phone symbol.  :( Google Home and Apple HomePod under the Computer symbol.  :( 

Regards John

Hey Brado - thanks for those suggestions! I'm the guy who builds icons for DumaOS - just wanted to thank you for letting me know you'd like these! I've already created icons for the Switch and Google Home, though the other three I hadn't thought of. (I've never heard of smart weighing scales before!) Thank you very much for your feedback and keep an eye out for new icons in future DumaOS updates.

Hey Brado - thanks for those suggestions! I'm the guy who builds icons for DumaOS - just wanted to thank you for letting me know you'd like these! I've already created icons for the Switch and Google Home, though the other three I hadn't thought of. (I've never heard of smart weighing scales before!) Thank you very much for your feedback and keep an eye out for new icons in future DumaOS updates.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply. Good to know you have already created icons for the Switch and Google Home. :) Sure the google Home symbol could be used for the Apple HomePod or a smart speaker etc.  :)

Would absolutely love symbols for smart watches to cover Apple Watch, Samsung Watch and Fitbit Icons etc. Not forgetting symbols of set of scales and a light bulb for smart lights. :)

The links below might help and should hopefully cover almost every new possible wifi device possible on the market at the moment. 

1.Smart Scale =  https://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-appliances/fitbit/fitbit-aria-2-wi-fi-smart-scales-black/572624/?q=scales&idx=PRODUCTS_A_Z&dFR[Categories.Name][0]=Bathroom%20scales&

2.Smart Lights = https://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-appliances/smart-scales/?q=smart%20lights&dFR[Categories.Name][0]=Smart%20lighting&

3.Smart Watches = https://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-appliances/smart-scales/?q=smart%20watchs&dFR[Categories.Name][0]=Smart%20watches&

4.Smart Speakers = https://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-appliances/smart-scales/?q=smart%20speaker&dFR[Categories.Name][0]=Smart%20speakers&

Big Apple and Fitbit. :) Lost over 50 kilos around 5 year ago after having a operation for the second time on groin area (double groin hernia). Lost all the weight year after my last operation thanks to my Fitbit smart watch and smart scales.  :)

Regards John

Hi Netduma Team,

1. Nintendo Switch

Regards John

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't IP V6 compatibility dependent on your ISP if it is supported or not? 

Question.. just curious as to why anyone would spend more money on a "Gaming router" like the XR500 when you don't use it for it's primary purpose of gaming?

Wouldn't you have been better off with a traditional Netgear router like the R7800 instead and save the extra money if it's intended purpose was not for gaming and just hardware devices that aren't gaming related?

Just saying the XR500 is an AWESOME router one of the best I've owned so far and the DUMA OS for gaming is spectacular and granted it does have powerful hardware to handle more than just gaming but if not used for gaming why spend the extra money?

As a suggestion, I would definitely recommend the anti bufferbloat function to set or program that you do not have to adjust the sliders, so that the system automatically gets the best result for the router or connection ... that would be one of my important points ... sometimes the bandwidth also fluctuates (more or less), the system should automatically apogee

• Administrators

As a suggestion, I would definitely recommend the anti bufferbloat function to set or program that you do not have to adjust the sliders, so that the system automatically gets the best result for the router or connection ... that would be one of my important points ... sometimes the bandwidth also fluctuates (more or less), the system should automatically apogee

Do you mean that Anti-Bufferbloat alomost has no sliders, but instead decides how much % is perfect for the bandwidth that the user has?

Question.. just curious as to why anyone would spend more money on a "Gaming router" like the XR500 when you don't use it for it's primary purpose of gaming?

Wouldn't you have been better off with a traditional Netgear router like the R7800 instead and save the extra money if it's intended purpose was not for gaming and just hardware devices that aren't gaming related?

Just saying the XR500 is an AWESOME router one of the best I've owned so far and the DUMA OS for gaming is spectacular and granted it does have powerful hardware to handle more than just gaming but if not used for gaming why spend the extra money?

DumaOS is alot better then netgears admin page by a long shot

Yes right...but it doesn‘t matter if you can play with the sliders...it is very important for me if you can click a button what kontrolls your bufferbloat and give you the best result... cause everybody has different bandwitth and the bandwith of everyone is not stable everytime, it changes how i said more or less..

Yes right...but it doesn‘t matter if you can play with the sliders...it is very important for me if you can click a button what kontrolls your bufferbloat and give you the best result... cause everybody has different bandwitth and the bandwith of everyone is not stable everytime, it changes how i said more or less..

70% is a good setting as it gives 30% headroom for the ping to stay jitter free.

If your bandwidth is changing then your ISP has congestion in your area and that is not good at all as you will be seeing jitter caused by this and that needs reporting to them.

For CC to constantly monitor the line for speed changes it would need to keep doing speed test's which would saturate the line at 100% causing jitter, it would use lots of bandwidth over time.

Or there could be an button that when you press it does a speed test that re enters your speeds for that press (that already exists) a congested line will increase and decrease up and down in short spaces of time though.

If my speeds were up and down per day and my line stat sync was reporting fine I would be reporting it and if moving ISP if they did not see it as a problem.

Guest Killhippie

Traffic Prioritization is for low bandwidth applications i.e. games so putting high bandwidth applications under this would have an adverse affect.

It would be great for the XR500 to recognise devices like TV's, Tablets, printers, media devices and smartphones etc and define bandwidth for those as a starting point in QoS maybe. That would give the best of both worlds as having DumaOS recognise these devices and give a predetermined value just to start off with to help people work out what should be given to what device in QoS.

I have seen some people put off by guessing traffic priority though the petal device and not being sure what percentage download and upload to give devices like Smart TV's etc so maybe if some of the guesswork was taken out that would be useful. As long as it can be manually changed if needed of course. Some people game and love the gaming features but also at times would appreciate maybe having the router take some of the guess work out by recognising some common devices and letting the XR500 offer a percentage upload and download bandwidth setting in QoS as a guide when you set what devices you have up, otherwise some people may just select detect high priority traffic and miss out of the routers great QoS feature.

With devices like smart TV's  making 4K streaming a lot more common now, and other devices like printers needing very little bandwidth taking the guess work out would help maybe. I mean for some if you have say 15 plus devices how do you decide what should have more upload or more download bandwidth and by how much. It can be a bit daunting. I have seen people post on YouTube say that they have bought the router because of the great GUi and geo filter etc and set anti-bufferbloat to 70% but they are lost in QoS and wont dare touch it.

Netgears default is to have all this turned off anyway which is a waste. Not all devices need bandwidth shared equally either and having a few bandwidth rules for a few well known type of devices as a pointer in QoS may help. Just a thought. :)

• Administrators

Thanks KH - we have expanded device recognition on our roadmap. 

We'll keep looking into more auto-settings to make it work even more out of the box. The challenge is achieving this without confusing people. For example, if we automatically enabled Anti-Bufferbloat without any user configruation, this forum would be inundated with 'why is my speed lower?' threads!

Appreciate the feedback.