Connection issues

Mcwood22

The Hauwei HG612 modem > Netduma on a fibre line either TT or BT.

With BT you have to use your PPPoE user name and password into the duma.

With TT its plug and play.

Get one with the latest G.inp enabled firmware from EBay or by any and flash it yourself if you are tech minded.

After listening to all your advice I've just ordered bt infinity,I think virgin broadband has been an issue for a while hope this sorts out all this frustration,will need all your help again soon to optimise bt infinity,to be honest I think you have all confirmed my initial thoughts,virgin broadband is not for gamers cheers for all the help guys I'm glad I've got such sound advice at my fingertips,keep up the Good work dudes see you soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

R1 WAN IP from the Netduma device manager into the Talk Talk router. Disable the Talk Talk WiFi, disable it's UPnP & remove any port forwarding rules. UPnP forwarding disabled on Duma miscellaneous settings. Then use either UPnP or port forwarding on Duma. All devices connected to Duma, 70/70 anti-flood, console in hyper traffic. ~1000km radius, strict on, PA 0.

• Netduma Staff

I'm with talk talk now fraser any advice on the best set up ?

Hey, just wondering if Frasers advice above helped you with your Talk Talk router? Let us know if you have any more questions.

I am honestly thinking of giving up with the netduma as I have just unplugged it for a day and my gameplay improved considerably

I have just plugged the netduma back in and possibly had the most frustrating hour of rage quitting I have ever had,something is seriously wrong guys,I'm sure my r1 is faulty because when I unplugged it i was competing getting over 30 kills a game but as soon as I plugged it back in its was struggling to get 10 and never got a kd over 1

• Administrators

I am honestly thinking of giving up with the netduma as I have just unplugged it for a day and my gameplay improved considerably

I have just plugged the netduma back in and possibly had the most frustrating hour of rage quitting I have ever had,something is seriously wrong guys,I'm sure my r1 is faulty because when I unplugged it i was competing getting over 30 kills a game but as soon as I plugged it back in its was struggling to get 10 and never got a kd over 1

Did you follow the instructions I gave above? It's impossible for the Netduma to give you a worse experience if it has been setup correctly.

I followed your every insruction fraser to no avail,I've conducted a little experiment today :-10 games with the netduma connected and ten games without,the results were :-with 133 kills 137 deaths,without 307 kills 112 deaths, pretty convincing results and I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off without the r1 on I'm just not enjoying the experience,I've tred everything you've suggested even switching isp from virgin to talk talk but it's made no difference at all,so if your that sure of your router I can only come to the conclusion that mine is faulty,I'm so disappointed as I was so looking forward to bettering my gameplay experience

You can't base the performance of network equipment on your scores in games.

Every game is affected by countless ever-changing variables, including you, the other players, their networks, etc.

Rather than count kills, you should test your network under stress without the Netduma...

Hammer YouTube and some speed tests without it in your network and graph your ping while you do it.

You'll quickly see the difference.

• Netduma Staff

I followed your every insruction fraser to no avail,I've conducted a little experiment today :-10 games with the netduma connected and ten games without,the results were :-with 133 kills 137 deaths,without 307 kills 112 deaths, pretty convincing results and I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off without the r1 on I'm just not enjoying the experience,I've tred everything you've suggested even switching isp from virgin to talk talk but it's made no difference at all,so if your that sure of your router I can only come to the conclusion that mine is faulty,I'm so disappointed as I was so looking forward to bettering my gameplay experience

What ColonicBoom said above is accurate; but your issues are also likely down to bad settings and the bad jitter on your line. Without the Geofilter enabled, the Netduma acts like a normal router with some great tools to reduce local congestion. No reason why that should be causing worse games. With the Geofilter, it's the only router in the world that can let you choose what host you play on. That's why it's impossible for the Netduma to give you a worse connection if it's correctly set up.

Given that, it would be a shame not to make the most of the Netduma when it could be improving your gameplay. Did you try the setup that Fraser suggested on page 1? Did you resolve the bad jitter on your line? I'd also recommend reducing the anti-flood to 70 / 70 for gaming, but try out all the other settings he suggested.

As said above it can't possibly make your connection worsens many variables go into on line gaming, biggest one being IMO other people's horrible connections connected to the same dedi that you are.The Duma can't fix other people's connections (jitter / unstable line) and their s**tty McDonalds or a neighbor's WIFI that their using.

The testing you did might seem like the game plays better without the duma but again you could have got great lobbies without the duma and bad one's without it.But if you look at how the duma works, you can't honestly tell me that connecting to a host 3000 miles away is better than connecting to a host 500 miles away.And that's what basically happens when you turn off the geo filter off, you lose the control to pick the radius you want the host to be in.

But if you feel your game plays better without the duma then use your old router and your issue is solved but I can't see that being the better of the 2 options.

honestly dont agree guys,ive just had 5 days without the netduma plugged in and my gameplay was on the whole quite good the odd bad lobby came along but that was to be expected,now tonight ive reconnected the netduma and all of a sudden i want to put my playstation through the window, sorry guys but that cant be just a coincidence,something is wrong like i said on my first post im not the best cod player in the world by any means but my kd averages out at 1.5 normally well the last game ive just had i went 1 for 37 please dont keep saying its me and giving me all this flannel about footballs and the like,im outta here guys time to go back to enjoying my playstation and if that means its without the netduma then so be it :(  :(   

OK man, Only you can really judge, you have better stats than me but I'm not really a stat junky as I play mostly objective games but I have for the last couple of years even been going positive on them whilst at times been the only person on my team ptfo.

I can't help but think that we must all be missing something obvious in your set up as to why its not giving you a better experience with the R1 than a normal router on a consistent basis.

Have you tried different games?

I tried a Nighthawk router a few weeks back with its built in software and first game out of the gate I actually went positive on Infinite Warfare. Following evening was probably The worst evening of gaming I have experienced since WAW. My R1 got put back in line quick smart. (IW still plays like a ............... for me but plays great for Others.)

Try it without for a week and report back will be interesting to see / hear the results. 

I have myself conducted extensive testing for several years with the whole throttle the connection to within an inch of what is acceptable as some you tubers  swear by. After years of testing I can honestly say it makes no difference at all overall.

I have even challenged the mighty ones who say Im wrong to post up continuous gameplay with and without throttling and to date over the last three years have not had a taker.

At the end of the day its what works for you but I would say try a longer test period than just a couple of days.

Anyway Im rambling again so I do apologise.

Have fun mate and let us know results :) cheers.

All I know is how bad BOps3 played over the last year. Just like IW it was rage inducing for like 3 weeks outta the month with the other week playing fabulously.

Now I have the Duma, BOps3 plays almost flawlessly 100% of the time.

Wish I could say the same about IW... but I know for a fact its a problem with the game, not the router I'm using.

Keep playing IW without the Duma... see how long it plays well for coz I can guarantee it won't be for long.

honestly dont agree guys,ive just had 5 days without the netduma plugged in and my gameplay was on the whole quite good the odd bad lobby came along but that was to be expected,now tonight ive reconnected the netduma and all of a sudden i want to put my playstation through the window, sorry guys but that cant be just a coincidence,something is wrong like i said on my first post im not the best cod player in the world by any means but my kd averages out at 1.5 normally well the last game ive just had i went 1 for 37 please dont keep saying its me and giving me all this flannel about footballs and the like,im outta here guys time to go back to enjoying my playstation and if that means its without the netduma then so be it :(  :(   

It's like bags said in the end it all comes down to what you feel gives you the best gaming experience.We don't know as were not with you when your gaming but if you feel like the game plays better without the duma and have tested it out, then like I said before leave it out of your set up.

But if you have a busy household, wife,kids,roomates etc that like to watch Netflix,YT or stream other things that is where you could have the biggest issue without the duma but again I don't know your situation.And yes other routers have QOS abilities but not like the duma, effective and easy to adjust on the fly.

I wish you the best of luck and remember none of us mods are paid employees of Netduma,we're customers just like yourself and are just honestly trying to help people who are having issues with their duma or their network set up's.

Again best of luck

please dont keep saying its me and giving me all this flannel about footballs and the like

It was an analogy. And a good one at that.

I thought it was obvious I wasn't saying it was you. I was saying it was everything else that is different, like different players with different styles and different lobbies on different servers, etc, but you also won't play the same in every game.

If it genuinely is 'playing worse', as far as lag and things like that, then you have an issue in your setup.

Having just a read back through this thread I see that, after changing from a terrible line, you gave it about a day (a few hours of game time?) before coming to the conclusion that your Netduma was faulty because you got more kills when you were playing in the few games before.

Doesn't seem that thorough.

* IW has been really weird this past week, if that's what you're playing on. Which is why I say you can't use your score as evidence of anything.

right guys this is going to blow your mind but i think ive found the problem:i stripped the netduma router down and by that i dont mean with  a screwdriver i mean that i deleted all information and details from the duma and started all over again,i connected my ps4 up and took it one step at a time trying all sorts of set ups and to cut a long story short as soon as i start to use the host geo filter all my  issues start, i thought that it was just a coincidence but ive tried with it on for an hour then with it off for an hour and the difference is staggering,without it on the gameplay is so much more responsive i am actually winning most gunfights and it just feels that the bullets are hitting when they are supposed to but the second i put it back on the frustration starts all over again,surely this doesnt make sense,can anyone shed any light on this because surely i must be connecting all over the world without it on but its deffo better without it on

Well I'm not entirely sure about it being worst. But I will say that I noticed that I've been placed in sweaty lobbys. Some of which would be a party or clan playing together. Been like this for the past two weeks or so. Which I've taken a break from playing IW. I do have good games without it on as well. But just been inconsistent of games and justhe haven't had the satisfaction of continuing down that flip flop of emotions. But if it works with it off for you. Then play with it off. I will also like to add that, I've played games with another router and I will say the Duma handles well with multiple users online at the same time while other "gaming routers" tend to be somewhat of a problem. Just wanted to shed a little feedback for ya.

I expect that your geo filter is set so small that you've cut off all the dedis and are forcing P2P lobbies.

Got a zoomed screenshot of your geo?

edit - I see it on the first page, although it's hard to see from the zoomed out view, it looks like you've cut off all the dedis.