Bufferbloat, reactive vs preemptive

Is it true that the reactive algorithm uses sq_codel while preemptive does not? I have heard that sq_codel is the best for Bufferbloat and has a heavy impact on gaming. If preemptive uses something else then what is the advantage of preemptive? I have 50 down so the recommendation for me is preemptive. I'm working on tweaking my settings, I tried all the recommended settings when I first got the Netduma but the results were not really any better than my other router. I have read through the forums and see a lot about the 2 different options for this but would like to know what preemptive uses that works better for connections below 60. I'm also wondering why people are saying they get good results by changing things like upnp forwarding, I thought that was only if using another router?

I'm not tech savvy but from what I have read about sq codel and Bufferbloat it seems that sq codel would be the clear winner.

• Netduma Staff

Pre-emptive is a congestion control algorithm written specifically for the Netduma. Pre-emptive is supposed to be better (but uses more resources so can't handle higher speeds) which is why it is the recommended one.

Thank you. I just don't understand why myself and others with less than 60 get better results with reactive for Bufferbloat on dslreports. Is that test flawed? I can only get an A rating with preemptive but an A+ with reactive.

I know things don't always work as intended because I once tweaked a Verizon arris gateway to go from horrible gaming to a cheat machine. One of the things I did on it was using upnp, port forwarding, and dmz all at the same time which is recommended as a big DONT DO. Should I not rely on the Bufferbloat test and use preemptive any way? If I get better results with reactive could that be a problem with my router or maybe a bug in the firmware? If so should I try reinstalling the newest firmware?

I agree always use what gets the best results on an individual basis. But if preemptive should be better but isn't maybe the firmware could be updated to make it work as intended. Which should be better than reactive. And better is always...well better.

I'm also curious if I should trust the dslreports test. I know especially with cable internet that speedtest.net is not very accurate. It seems that dslreports may have similar issues since I pay for 50/10 but have seen as high as 68/21.

Yes but if I have to do the opposite of what's recommended to get a good game then a firmware update comes out that changes a few things and all of a sudden I'm at square one again trying to randomly figure out the best settings. Which is very time consuming since you can't rely on the results of one match or even one gaming session for that matter. Could be issues with time of day, host, other players, Xbox live, etc. could also be a reboot of Xbox, router, and/or modem may be required.

I just get annoyed by having to tweak all the time especially when you find out after years of just accepting that a qos system on a router is broken only to learn that a different setting (nat acceleration) was making it not work. It would have been nice if there was a note or something that said hey if you mess with this setting it will screw up everything else you did.

Sorry for the rant, needed to vent (I hate Asus by the way).

for me it doesnt matter which algorithm is use but using congestion control to lower my connection does (which makes sense)

as soon as Iain releases the new firmware this should not matter much anymore anyhow

Good to hear. Is there a forum post with any info on what's going to change in the next firmware? I saw the forum about recommendations for the next update but didn't read all of it. I suppose I will keep an eye out for new update features post for the official details.

I have 50/5 bandwidth from TWC.  With the latest firmware, I get better speed results and gaming experience using reactive.  With preemptive, it was too inconsistent.

My speeds are just a little lower on the download and a little higher on the upload, but I have had WAY better games with reactive (on PS4).  I had noticed that Pre-emptive was giving me good game plays on BO2 on the Xbox, but NOTHING seems to help trying to play BO Edition 3 on the XB1.  

Best way to go about it is tweak your settings and find out what works best for you,no two networks are gonna be the same as you can tell by the above posts.There is no cut and paste set up for everyone as there are way to many variables on individual networks.So best way to find your "sweet spot" is to do some testing and track your results.

Thank you I will continue to tweak and test. But first I think I have a bigger issue that needs to be fixed. I've had some strange responses when changing settings with dialog boxes and Vpn and settings being saved. I will start a new thread with details.

guys all these reactive talk makes me want to try it again too now lol :P

preemtive works very good for me but still all this talk makes me want to try it ;)

Here's what I've noticed,we know pre is a more conservative algorithm so that being said I get an A+ buffer bloat,A+ quality and an F for speed on pre with CC set at 50 both ways.

The same settings on reactive I get a B buffer bloat,A quality and a c for speed,and I notice it's been playing way smoother since these adjustments.We'll see if it holds up over time.

And my speeds are 65 down and 5 up,just an observation but switching to pre from reactive it cuts my download by about 15 mgs.So that tells you how much more conservative it is.

Hey Pete what is nat acceleration and how did it affect gaming. I have the asus rtac87r. Do you suggest disabling nat in the wan settings of the asus router

See this link http://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

Basically it is a feature in a lot of routers, sometimes called other things like hardware acceleration, it can affect port forwarding and QoS.

In my Asus and Netgear routers I had some issues with these two things seeming to work properly, after I dasabled the Nat/ Hardware acceleration they then seemed to work properly.

I'm not sure if that is the same as Turbo mode or super turbo mode, but i leave those two settings turned off since my speed is only 50 down anyway.

Yes I suggest disabling it if you use either port forwarding or QoS, 

See this link http://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

Basically it is a feature in a lot of routers, sometimes called other things like hardware acceleration, it can affect port forwarding and QoS.

In my Asus and Netgear routers I had some issues with these two things seeming to work properly, after I dasabled the Nat/ Hardware acceleration they then seemed to work properly.

I'm not sure if that is the same as Turbo mode or super turbo mode, but i leave those two settings turned off since my speed is only 50 down anyway.

Yes I suggest disabling it if you use either port forwarding or QoS,

Where do you find it in the Netgear?

Archived