Bufferbloat, reactive vs preemptive

guys ive spent a fair amount of time testing both algorithsms now with halo 5

i specifically say halo 5 cause it has a solid lag compensation and netocode unlike CoD where you cannot be sure if your great new connection experience is because of you changing the algorithm or the dedicated game servers having a good day

preemtive plays TONS better than reactive, the difference is pretty large

with reactive you often are a few miliseconds behind the action if that makes sense, or other slightly laggy stuff happens that sort of feels like connection inconsistencies

with preemtive this is not the case, its smooth through the entire match without any weird lag situations

so definitely play preemtive even if your speeds are above 100mbit

if you are downloading you can still switch to reactive to get faster speeds

Where do you find it in the Netgear?

I'm not sure if you can disable it in the stock netgear firmware. I had the r7000 and read that the only way to get rid of it is to install 3rd party firmware like DD-wrt. I tried DD-wrt a little bit but never messed with it enough to get the settings right. If you do this be very very careful because a bad flash could brick the router or it might work but not work properly.

If you have this router definitely set sip alg to open and disable for Xbox live. This is found under Wan settings. Also enable respond to ping on Internet port.

For router specific setups I recommend using that routers forum page. I'm on netduma forum now because I upgraded to a netduma router. It can't do all the stuff that the netgear did but as far as gaming it does stuff no other router can. Buy one and find out for yourself if you play first person shooters.

Since this is a netduma forum I will no longer respond to questions about other routers but if you want you can send me a private message and I may be able to help.

Archived